• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer says Payday 3 underperformed following launch issues

Draugoth

Gold Member
Payday-3-Preview-Screenshots-1-1024x576.jpg

During Embracer’s second quarter earnings Q&A on Thursday, CEO Lars Wingefors said Payday 3 had come in “a bit weaker than expected”.

The game had a had a positive Adjusted EBIT contribution with investments recouped in the second quarter, but performed below management expectations. Starbreeze is now hard at work to improve the player experience.”

Delivering the game’s first update in early November, Starbreeze claimed Payday 3 was “finally up and running as things should be”.

Embracer also confirmed today that its ongoing restructuring plan resulted in 900 employees (about 5% of its workforce) being let go during its second quarter ended in September

SCB3

Well no shit, a couple of thins:

• Bad launch for a GaaS game can just straight up kill it
  • It seems boring
  • full of MTX
  • Have people forgot how shitty the devs were with Payday 2? Did they expect people to forget? Remember Payday 2 on consoles was sent out, died and they still did a Switch version that never worked

marjo

donald-glover-good.gif

I'm not one who generally likes to celebrate other's failures, but publishers need to learn that are are consequences for releasing broken products.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Of course it did:
  • GaaS
  • Launched with so many issues
  • Launched on a subscription service
  • The game itself did nothing new or special

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow who knew releasing a game that is nowhere near finished, is a technical mess, lacks features and is by literally no metric better than the previous game would "underperform"?

LpBJjlc.png

Not looking too good there, buddy.

theHFIC

When you drop the bag on a $2 billion dollar deal with the Saudi’s to keep your company afloat, every game released from there on out will be underperforming.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Nice! :lollipop_kissing_smiling:
It kinda nagged me that Payday 2 was such a big hit, when the microtransactions totally ruined the experience for me. Don't like games where the progression system doesn't let you have much fun at the start either. Also hated all those menus telling me "literally every weapon in this category is a microtransaction." The guns felt like they were shooting needles, didn't have the weight of the first game's shooting.

Nice! :lollipop_kissing_smiling:
It kinda nagged me that Payday 2 was such a big hit, when the microtransactions totally ruined the experience for me. Don't like games where the progression system doesn't let you have much fun at the start either. Also hated all those menus telling me "literally every weapon in this category is a microtransaction." The guns felt like they were shooting needles, didn't have the weight of the first game's shooting.
I dunno, I thought Payday 2 was a blast and I didn't buy any dlc. Though, I thought it was obnoxious how much was on offer. But, I presume it's the reason it also got support for so long too, so there's that for the people that are mega fans. I played it for a few months with some friends and had a great time. But with Payday 3, there were too many great games this year though to waste my time on something I would consider "maybe, if my buddies and I are drinking and have time" kind of game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom