• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer cancelled 29 unannounced games between July and December

Spyxos

Gold Member
Embracer-Group-logo-1024x536.png

Restructuring plans have also seen seven internal studios closed

Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors said on Thursday that the company’s restructuring plan is now entering its “final stretch”, but warned that more cuts could be coming as it looks to sell off more assets. “As part of the restructuring program, Embracer still has a few larger structured divestment processes ongoing that could strengthen our balance sheet and further reduce capex,” he said.

The restructuring also resulted in 1,387 job cuts, or about 8% of its global workforce, during the six months ended in December. This included cutting 871 internal game developers, 252 internal non-developers, and 264 external developers.

Go_Ly_Dow

This has to be a new level of mismanagement?

On another note I don't think I've ever purchased an Embracer group game before. :messenger_sunglasses:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Investigate them for fraud and throw the book at them. If they couldnt afford these assets why were the allowed to buy everyone? How did they buy everyone?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
A thread where the title and the content match. A new concept on GAF.

Embracer has held gaming and dragged it to the grave.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Microsoft must be surprised that another company has taken over their old motto "Embrace, extend, and extinguish".

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Embracer should be charged in court.

Seems like the purpose of these acquisition is to sell to another party, they are not interested in managing game development at all

spons

Gold Member
Embracer should be charged in court.

Seems like the purpose of these acquisition is to sell to another party, they are not interested in managing game development at all
Yeah it's totally illegal bro, sue them.

Covid driven elevated targets and inflated stock holder fantasies really implode especially at that company but in all gaming.
It feels like we hardly get any games meanwhile games get canceled at seemingly higher rate than ever. I wonder if these games were actually in development or were not just used as investor bait.

CamHostage

FYI, they had over 220 games in the works before things got real ugly. 10-15% of the slate canceled; 8% staff/studio reduction.

Investigate them for fraud and throw the book at them. If they couldnt afford these assets why were the allowed to buy everyone? How did they buy everyone?

Because nobody else wanted them.

Embracer was reckless in its growth and old brand acquisition, but they were able to commit to that plan because they were the only one out there interested in these properties to fuel its Get-Big-Fast corporation plan. Every other publisher was trimming its release calendar and annualizing its core franchises and steering all teams to chase big-payout trends like GAAS, while Embracer tried to run up the gap left in the middle with a wide portfolio blanketing genres and harvesting nostalgia. It worked for a little over 10 years, and might have continued to work if investment funding had come through (and might still continue to work if all of this finds a level without sinking further,) but the differences of its business strategy make it more vulnerable (and more visible in its fall) than other publishers following the modern marketing approach of fewer, bigger games.

Hudo

Those motherfuckers also cancelled the next Expeditions game. Embracer can go die in a ditch. Together with the whole upper management who caused this disaster in the first place. I bet none of these fuckers took any pay cut.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Atari Vibes.

Big Brother Aleisha GIF by Big Brother Australia

Its crazy how much money they invested the last couple of years.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF
They swooped in when loan rates were at historic lows, and assumed all these places they bought up were covid bargain priced. Interest and debt rates roughly tripled since then. If you read their acquisition history it all came to a screeching halt I think in Jan 2023 when rates were in middle of skyrocketing.

I remember one gaffer saying he thinks Embracer isnt even really interested in long term game making. But just a holding shell to scoop up tons of indies and second tier franchises and companies with a plan to sell them for profit later. If that was truly the game plan, rising debt rates killed that strategy.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Why i got feeling they should not be called embracer, their news usually the opposite of "embrace" ...

Top Bottom