• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Signs Obsidian Entertainment for Alien Title!

JamieSI

Banned
SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Obsidian Entertainment will create a role-playing game based on the Alien film franchise with license from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising. This title will be developed for the next-generation systems and the PC.

Obsidian Entertainment draws upon their wealth of design knowledge creating successful games such as the best-selling Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords and the award-winning Neverwinter Nights 2 to bring the Alien franchise to role-playing gamers for the first time. The role playing game will build upon the distinctive look and feel of the original films while utilizing next-generation technology to create an entirely different and unique Alien experience.

Source: Strategy Informer

There's the official confirmation then :)

No.1

Sigh... Obsidian... They stink. KOTOR2 was either rushed or poorly utilised, and NWN2 was filled with bugs and dated issues. I was hoping that the Silicon Knights deal with Sega pulled through and they were making some sort of Alien RPG. Shame.

No.1 said:
Sigh... Obsidian... They stink. KOTOR2 was either rushed or poorly utilised, and NWN2 was filled with bugs and dated issues. I was hoping that the Silicon Knights deal with Sega pulled through and they were making some sort of Alien RPG. Shame.
lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
No.1 said:

Yeah you wouldn't have to worry about the title being rushed if it was Silicon Knights. Instead you'd just have to worry about when, if EVER the title got released....

Xellotah

Obsidian aren't a bad developer. NWN2 is excellent and KOTOR2 would have been good if they weren't forced to rush it for release.

Busty

Banned
JamieSI said:
SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Obsidian Entertainment will create a role-playing game based on the Alien film franchise with license from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising. This title will be developed for the next-generation systems and the PC.

Obsidian Entertainment draws upon their wealth of design knowledge creating successful games such as the best-selling Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords and the award-winning Neverwinter Nights 2 to bring the Alien franchise to role-playing gamers for the first time. The role playing game will build upon the distinctive look and feel of the original films while utilizing next-generation technology to create an entirely different and unique Alien experience.

Source: Strategy Informer

There's the official confirmation then :)

So.....wait. This SEGA/Obsidian deal was announced months ago on what was thought at the time to be an original IP...

So......either Obsidian has been working on this game already for months or it's second game/collaboration between the two and we can still expect the first, still untitled SEGA/Obsidian game at some point next year?

Colour me confused. Does anyone else get the impression that SEGA nabbing the Aliens licence and producing a FPS and RPG is just their answer to both HALO and Halo Wars?

Busty

Banned
Bluemercury said:
Gearbox is making the fps game too.

Is this game going to be based in the Aliens universe eg game based on the Colonial Marines, or is it actually going to be based on the film?

Hearing that Gearbox are doing it has me really excited despite the fact it's, what, not due until 2008?

It will probably be a launch title for the PS3 in Europe....

............ZING!!!!!

methane47

Busty said:
Is this game going to be based in the Aliens universe eg game based on the Colonial Marines, or is it actually going to be based on the film?

Hearing that Gearbox are doing it has me really excited despite the fact it's, what, not due until 2008?

It will probably be a launch title for the PS3 in Europe....

............ZING!!!!!

Fail ..... That took way too long to get the joke out...

Busty

Banned
methane47 said:
Fail ..... That took way too long to get the joke out...

I know. It wasn't until I posted it I realised that the timing was all out. Meh... do better next time.

Prine

Banned
KOTOR2 story is better than 95 percent of RPGs i've played last gen.

Obsidian are awesome, one to watch. These guys are gonna be big

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
PR

SEGA Signs Obsidian Entertainment To Develop Alien Title For Next-Generation Systems

Role-Playing Game to be Based on Critically-Acclaimed Motion Picture Franchise

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (December 11, 2006) – SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Obsidian Entertainment will create a role-playing game based on the Alien film franchise with license from Twentieth Century Fox Licensing & Merchandising. This title will be developed for the next-generation systems and the PC.

"With Obsidian Entertainment's development pedigree, they were our first choice to bring the Alien franchise to the RPG universe," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, SEGA of America, Inc. "They are the only developer for us that could effectively combine the Alien mythology with compelling RPG gameplay to create the ultimate Alien experience."

"We are thrilled to be working with the great production and publishing teams at SEGA to deliver the ultimate in-depth Alien experience to gamers worldwide," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. "Building an epic RPG with a license as heralded as the Alien franchise is truly a great honor."

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Huh? Looks like Sega is serious about turning this into a good franchise. Glad to see Obisidian is handling their own property now. Being the sequel house for BioWare put them in a bad light.

Az987

all good things
Isnt Gearbox also making a game based off of Heat?

Im definintly looking more forward to the shooter then the rpg

Wollan

This is pretty much my dream game. One of the best rpg devs around are making an epic Alien game. GOTY 2009 confirmed.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
The game, which as of now remains untitled, is coming to PCs and "next-generation systems." Sega has not dated the project, but on Monday said the first Alien-licensed game wouldn't arrive before 2009. No further details of the game were mentioned...

Geez.. remind me again in 2-3 years...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well this Alien RPG isn't coming out until 2009 so Obsidian won't be rushed. I think people are seriously short changing them though, 75% of KOTOR 2 absolutely blew away the original, it wasn't until the very obviously rushed ending that it fell apart but hey, you try making a 40 hour RPG in 9 months and see how you do.

NWN2 is Atari, their QA always sucks, they always push shit out the door, and with all that in mind it still shipped in a very playable and enjoyable state with most of the major issues already fixed.

Schafer's right on both counts. KOTOR2 was an extremely solid game that only really fell apart near the end, and as for NWN2 Atari is *notorious* for pushing stuff out the door and bad providing poor support and QA for their titles.

Thankfully, KOTOR2 is getting a fan patch to re-insert a lot of the dropped events (including a new-and-better ending, I hear). Neverwinter 2 will be fine-eventually hardware performance will overwhelm the underperforming engine, and the game is so modular and has such a following that anything that Obsidian doesn't patch the fans will get around to doing so.

An interesting take on the franchise, can't wait to see how this one works out. I'm pleased EA or Activision didn't get their dirty hands over it.:)

Foil

Draft said:
Who is making KOTOR3?

Maybe Obsidian is making it. It could be coming sooner than we think, and if the Aliens RPG won't hit before 2009 they could easily have 2 different titles in the works.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Foil said:
Maybe Obsidian is making it. It could be coming sooner than we think, and if the Aliens RPG won't hit before 2009 they could easily have 2 different titles in the works.

I'm nigh positive that KOTOR 3 is not being worked on by Obsidian. They aren't exactly fond of Lucasarts after KOTOR 2 and they aren't big enough to support multiple projects.

From what I've heard Lucasarts has been trying unsuccessfully to get KOTOR 3 off the ground with an internal dev studio.

Llyranor

Feargus Urquhart has stated that Obsidian would *generally* be a 3-game studio. 1 PC, 1 Console, 1 Multisystem.

With NWN2 just out, I'm guessing it'll still have some support in terms of xpacs and such.

2009 is too far off, I'd think Obs has another title unannounced as of yet.

This title is Project Georgia, Obsidian's 4th title.

Project New Jersey - 3rd title - was revealed (but announced) before it. We don't know much about it, or whether it's been cancelled. It could still come out before this title.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I'm curious as to how this would work. I'd rather a Predator RPG myself in the style of Mass Effect. Still, I did enjoy NWN2 despite its faults, so I have hopes for this game.

Though I am still curious as to what Sega and Silicon Knights are up to as well. :D

element

From what I've heard Lucasarts has been trying unsuccessfully to get KOTOR 3 off the ground with an internal dev studio.
correct. LucasArts might be looking for partners now though. I don't know who would be an ideal fit that majority of teams who could do it are already booked.

Top Bottom