• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega suing Level 5 over patent infringement

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
How can you patent an input control for an input device that you don't own or didn't invent? Does this mean Capcom can patent a hadouken?

Edit - Image included with the patent:
Yd1mP.jpg
What's the patent? Kick girl with ball and aggressively poke privates?

Looks like some BS out of the gate, and that they'd need to sue LOADS more than Level 5 (choosing them makes it seem targeted). I'll dig more, but...really?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How can you patent an input control for an input device that you don't own or didn't invent? Does this mean Capcom can patent a hadouken?

They could, as long as the outcome of the motion was specified. (ie. the character shoots a wave of concentrated chi energy out of their hands when the motion is done).

RyanDG

Looks like RyanDG's guess was right. Gigazine are reporting that the patent RyanDG quoted seems to be the one Level 5 are infringing.

http://gigazine.net/news/20121211-sega-inazuma/
http://tinyurl.com/be5awun

Thanks for confirming it. I'm curious what the second patent is, because I wasn't able to find anything last night that really stood out for it and this article also doesn't seem to mention the second patent.

I'm wondering if the second patent doesn't specifically have to do with touch screens?

sega had a patent on specific method for having AIs jump out of the way of a car. these patents are terrible even if valid. honest question, do SEGA make any touchscreen controlled football games?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, I will agree Level 5 is clearly infringing on that patent. The question is, can you really patent such a thing? I know companies have been patenting video game mechanics in Japan for decades, but anyone know if it has been challenged in court yet?

Didn't Sega threaten to sue years ago over the use of the 'crazy taxi arrow'?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, I will agree Level 5 is clearly infringing on that patent. The question is, can you really patent such a thing? I know companies have been patenting video game mechanics in Japan for decades, but anyone know if it has been challenged in court yet?

Didn't Sega threaten to sue years ago over the use of the 'crazy taxi arrow'?
Gameplay patents are not a good idea. Sega is probably infringing on Namco's movelist and load time gameplay patents.

Takao

Banned
sega had a patent on specific method for having AIs jump out of the way of a car. these patents are terrible even if valid. honest question, do SEGA make any touchscreen controlled football games?

Yes. They have the Football Manager Handheld series on PSP/iOS/Android, and maybe more relevant to this conversation, they revived the Soccer Tsuku J-League series that started on Dreamcast. One half was revived on PSP, and the other half on DS:

GgBZl.jpg

Soccer Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct was the first entry on DS. It launched in November 2008, 2 months after the first Inazuma Eleven launched on that same platform.

Portugeezer

Would I be naive to think SEGA won't go far with this one?

Well that is what I would expect from a European or American court anyway.

Will this be settled in Japan?

Takao

Banned
It's a ridiculous patent to hold, but it certainly looks like Level-5 was violating it:

1loH2.jpg

That bottom screen looks like SEGA's patent diagram.

Conan-san

Yeah, not the top though. And if Sega gets this one, they must go after Square Enix for TWEWY and DQ 9, Nintnedo for the Zelda DS games and whoever did Contact (amongst others) otherwise they're going to get called out on it.

That's saying nothing of jeopardizing their relationship with Nintendo by threatening a title that is a High Tier title on the NDS platform.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, not the top though. And if Sega gets this one, they must go after Square Enix for TWEWY and DQ 9, Nintnedo for the Zelda DS games and whoever did Contact (amongst others) otherwise they're going to get called out on it.

That's saying nothing of jeopardizing their relationship with Nintendo by threatening a title that is a High Tier title on the NDS platform.

Err, the bottom screen (which is the touch enabled one) is how you control players in Inazuma Eleven. This patent dispute is specifically about controlling players with a touch screen in a manner which pretty much makes it exclusive to soccer games.

Glass Rebel

With the new information that has surfaced the patent looks really specific and I'm leaning towards SEGA's side rather than Level-5's. Whether I agree with software patents is a separate matter altogether.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So who is Silicon Knights and who is Epic in this situation?

(Or should I ask who is Konami and who is Harmonix/Red Octane?)

Conan-san

So? You're given Sunday night football tv bit where the doods write on the screen looks like sega's patent.

This all comes off as a bunch of pissing and whining by sega at a better company and it's going to lead to trouble.

That said, if this leads to IE being shit canned, the Fujoshi crowd alone will tear what's left of Sega-sammy appart.

Takao

Banned
So let's hope Hino finally will be left without money.

For what it's worth, while I don't like plenty of Level-5's games, and I believe the annual sequel treatment they give their IPs is a shitty thing to do, I don't want them to shut down. Too many people would be without a job if they went under, and while I don't care for many of their games, they have made games I did enjoy. That said, as my posts in the Media Create threads show I do find entertainment in their failures.

Top Bottom