• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

wRATH2x

Banned
OK this new fanbase old fanbase bullshit has to stop!

The new fanbase, for the most part, don't know what a good game is. Judging by there love of Sonic 06 and Shadow The Hedgehog, its pretty obvious there into the "story" for whatever reason. So to please them just have an "epic" story with Sonic characters and there you go! And that is not what any game company should do, you make games. So the most important thing of the product is the game itself, not its presentation. And these fans will eventually turn on you if they don't like where the stories going, and won't care if the Videogame was good or not. So its not the smartest move.

Plus they claim that they will buy a Sonic game no matter what, and if this is true, shouldn't Sega try making some good games that sell to other people? So if a Sonic game was actually great, hyped to high heaven with good word of mouth, it would sell to the fanbase and people looking to buy a great game.

The old fanbase wants everything made after the Genesis dead, no matter how decent it may be. Declaring everything they see as shit if it doesn't match the look they are looking for.

Not all the old or new fanbase are like these I know, but these seem to be the most vocal.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
JRW said:
Sega hasnt had a good Sonic game since the Genesis days.. Will this ever change?

There have been good post-Genesis Sonic games. Maybe not that many, and they may arguably not be as good as the 'classics', but they're still legitimately good games.

Wren said:
I will never fucking forget his laugh in Sonic CD. After going back and replaying the game recently it still seems out of place, its just so unsettling compared to the more comical oafish character hes always been portrayed as. The Damn thing nearly scared me shitless when I was younger.

If you've seen the bad ending of Sonic 2 8-bit, it seems to imply that Tails is dead (probably murdered by Robotnik), so I'd still argue that he was a far more sinister character back then than the bumbling oaf he is nowadays.

Eggman was always bumbling, going by the Japanese profiles for the Genesis games. He was always described as being incredibly intelligent (200+ IQ) but with the disposition of a spoiled child - known to throw temper tantrums and the like.

But he was still a villain, I guess. Villains gotta do bad things, otherwise they're kicked out of the Villains Club. Then you gotta go through the trouble of re-registering, you have to provide credentials, initiation's a bitch... it's a hassle.

Combichristoffersen said:
If you've seen the bad ending of Sonic 2 8-bit, it seems to imply that Tails is dead (probably murdered by Robotnik), so I'd still argue that he was a far more sinister character back then than the bumbling oaf he is nowadays.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/mastersystem/a/son2_2.htm
Compared to this...
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/mastersystem/a/son2.htm

You do get the impression of a failure, but "murdered by Robotnik" is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't help your point that when you beat him for the good ending, he fumes and runs away like a bumbling oaf.

I'd post a video of the bad ending for a more proper comparison, but I literally can't find one. I remember having this problem before, every video I find is of the good ending.

RagnarokX

Kulock said:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/mastersystem/a/son2_2.htm
Compared to this...
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/mastersystem/a/son2.htm

You do get the impression of a failure, but "murdered by Robotnik" is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't help your point that when you beat him for the good ending, he fumes and runs away like a bumbling oaf.

I'd post a video of the bad ending for a more proper comparison, but I literally can't find one. I remember having this problem before, every video I find is of the good ending.
I like how Sonic's reaction to Tails being safe is "Not my problem."

Combichristoffersen

Kulock said:

I've tried finding the bad ending too, but it doesn't seem to be on YouTube. Anyway, as evidenced by the pics you linked, the endings aren't all that different. As for the 'murdered by Robotnik' thing, that theory wasn't my invention, I just read it somewhere on the net, and it kinda made sense going by the sad music played during the ending (for some reason they used the same music for the good ending too IIRC!) and Sonic looking up at 'Tails in the sky', so it would give the impression that Tails was dead.

FoxSpirit

There have been good post-Genesis Sonic games. Maybe not that many, and they may arguably not be as good as the 'classics', but they're still legitimately good games.

I'd like to argue that the bosses in Sonic Rush Adventure were plain amazing. Hmmm, I should go and replay that one, it was fun.
Also cuts out Amy and has Blaze, a huge bonus in my book :D

Firestorm

When my little cousin comes over, he wants to play Sonic and the Secret Rings over Super Mario Galaxy.
I am letting him play the Wii less because if I have to hear that music one more time I will go apeshit.

DeVeAn

Oh, snap! thanks for the help with the avy could have sworn I changed it in GIMP to 74x120. I believe thats the right size?

Anyway, thanks for the resize guys pimp avy now!

OnPoint

Firestorm said:
When my little cousin comes over, he wants to play Sonic and the Secret Rings over Super Mario Galaxy.
I am letting him play the Wii less because if I have to hear that music one more time I will go apeshit.

MAKE BELIEVE REBORN! chun-chun-chun chunnnn chun-chun

wRATH2x

Banned
Firestorm said:
You fucking kidding me, you have it much better than I do.

When me and my older cousin were going for a drive, his little brother insisted on coming, he brought CD he wanted to play in the car. Guess what that shit turned out to be.

OnPoint

Wrath2X said:

When me and my older cousin were going for a drive, his little brother insisted on coming, he brought CD he wanted to play in the car. Guess what that shit turned out to be.

Linkin Park?

HUELEN10

Sega1991 said:
No such thing as an arrow through a dream ♪
Hopes may burden but forever last to give in ♪
Seriously, that's the most poorly written sentence in a song ever.

FoxSpirit

Wrath2X said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOACVCOJsM ??

Linkin Park would of course be a close second. AND him talking of those awesome game videos to Linkin Park music :lol

wRATH2x

Banned
OnPoint said:
Linkin Park?
Sometimes :(

But this time it was the worst of all the sonic buttrock, yes it was "Sonic Heroes", yuck!
FoxSpirit said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOACVCOJsM ??

Linkin Park would of course be a close second. AND him talking of those awesome game videos to Linkin Park music :lol
Hey now, I love the Power Rangers theme.

Also, I have a brother who's convinced that everybody loves Linkin Park and that they shun them for "shitty" bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin because they decided thats the cool thing to do.

No words.
I'm betting on Linkin Park or Slipknot.
I actually kind of like Slipknot, why I don't know.

Combichristoffersen

Wrath2X said:
But this time it was the worst of all the sonic buttrock, yes it was "Sonic Heroes", yuck!

Also, I have a brother who's convinced that everybody loves Linkin Park and that they shun them for "shitty" bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin because they decided thats the cool thing to do.

No words.

I actually kind of like Slipknot, why I don't know.

While Sonic Heroes is midly acceptable in terms of gameplay, the music is.. not that good :lol

And while I'm not really a Sabbath fan, and dislike Zeppelin due to Plant's whiny voice, they're both far more enjoyable than Linkin Park overall is
although I kinda like Shadow of the Day and Pushing me Away

Slipknot.. I could never really get the appeal. To me they were, and are, nothing but people in masks making noise :lol

WillyFive

KurowaSan said:
As long as they reduce the length of his spikes, arms and legs I'd be moderately pleased with the redesign. I'm so hoping this time they manage make a Sonic game I want to play.
Personally, bring some sort of classic design back
6e0i7b.jpg

This is good! He's rounder, but he's sharper as well.

I'm wondering, am I going to get killed for posting scans of a comic that's been out of print for almost 10 years? I actually have much of the UK Sonic Comic scanned, including the awesome Sonic & Knuckles story, and I could upload it if I'm not going to get done for it. I feel like US fans should see 'that' Sonic.

WillyFive

APZonerunner said:
I'm wondering, am I going to get killed for posting scans of a comic that's been out of print for almost 10 years? I actually have much of the UK Sonic Comic scanned, including the awesome Sonic & Knuckles story, and I could upload it if I'm not going to get done for it. I feel like US fans should see 'that' Sonic.

I always wanted to see what was so great about those UK Sonic comics. But I am not sure if you can.

wRATH2x

Banned
While Sonic Heroes is midly acceptable in terms of gameplay, the music is.. not that good :lol
Worst vocal track in a game ever, and the says something.
And while I'm not really a Sabbath fan, and dislike Zeppelin due to Plant's whiny voice, they're both far more enjoyable than Linkin Park overall is
although I kinda like Shadow of the Day and Pushing me Away
I think I don't love you anymore :(
Slipknot.. I could never really get the appeal. To me they were, and are, nothing but people in masks making noise :lol
There not amazing or the best out there like the fan base wants you to believe, but they have some enjoyable tracks.

WillyFive

I didn't like the gameplay of Sonic Heroes, but I actually liked the music. Great theme song. Shame the rest of the game wasn't as good.

Resilient

I always thought that Crush 40 brought a certain level of cheese to the Sonic that no other franchise could hope to achieve. For some sad reason the lyrics still remain etched into my mind :lol

I can feel your every rage,
Step aside I'll turn the page,
Breakin' thru your crazy maze,
Like a laser beam my eyes on you!

Crappy lyrics aside, the musics always been tolerable for 3D Sonic outings. If Needlemouse keeps the same 'feel' as Heroes (80s guitar removed) it'd be pretty fun. Sonic Heroes always had a really goofy soundtrack that made the game a little more enjoyable.

wRATH2x

Banned
Willy105 said:
I didn't like the gameplay of Sonic Heroes, but I actually liked the music. Great theme song. Shame the rest of the game wasn't as good.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The theme is one of the worst things my ears have ever listened to.

And about Crush 4o, for whatever reason I fucking love "Open Your Heart" and "Live And Learn".

Wiseblade

Live and Learn!
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow!
Live and Learn!
From the works of yesterday!

I've never been disappointed by the music in any sonic game i've played, and even in most of the ones the ones I haven't. That said, I don't think that any of the 2000+ style sonic music would suit a retro 2d platformer.

WillyFive

Sonic Adventure 2 has the best soundtrack of the rock-style Sonic games, Sonic Unleashed did a very very good job at the classic type of Sonic music. The Sonic Advance/Rush games also have very good music.

Other than that, excluding Black Knight, the modern Sonic games have been disappointing me in music.

Resilient

Wiseblade said:
Live and Learn!
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow!
Live and Learn!
From the works of yesterday!

I've never been disappointed by the music in any sonic game i've played, and even in most of the ones the ones I haven't. That said, I don't think that any of the 2000+ style sonic music would suit a retro 2d platformer.

If Needlemouse ends up being a lot like the 2D areas in Unleashed then I think it'll suit it perfectly. The music all really depends on whats happening in the game. When I think of the Chun-nan stages the upbeat, fast speed of the music match what's going on perfectly. If it ends up similar to the Megadrive/Genesis games then you're right, it won't match at all.

I really think it's crucial they get the music right though. When I think of playing Hydrocity Zone the music matches perfectly to the platforming and underwater traversing. If theres less speed in Needlemouse and speedy music, it'll be sort of awkward.

The thing about the Heroes music though was that a lot of the melodies had a classic vibe to them, which is why I think that type of music would suit a more platform orientated Sonic game.

Chao

HUELEN10 said:
2d7bgxg.png

175's cover was amazing.
It would be more amazing if the colors were, you know, right. Sonic's eyelids are the same colour as his belly or arms, not blue.

Why is so hard to remember Sonic's color scheme? A lot of people paint his arms blue or his legs on flesh tone too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can't hold on much looooowwwnnngerrrr

(I WILL NEVER LET IT GOOO)

HUELEN10

What the Hell is this shit:
Just some fan creations, some of them reaching levels of nightmare fuel beyond comprehension. Worst offenders in my humble opinion are of course fan characters and/or recolors. Speaking of which, I saved one just to make a point at a future date. That day has come.
2u9s9sp.jpg

Yes, that is supposed to be Elise, and the sad point is that if this were her instead of the human, the game would have been ever so lightly less fucked up. Sad, but true. :( Just shows you how low Sonic got with Shadow and Sonic 06. What was Sega thinking?

HUELEN10

I'd say the problem is that they weren't thinking
Exactly! You know they've hit rock bottom with Sonic when a freaking fan character makes more sense and a better choice than the real deal. I mean, that's like bizarro-world bizarre! Never again my friends, never again. The only thing Sonic 06 brought was that there was nowhere to go but up. Take it how you want, but I think Sega should take it like those Domino's Guys.

HUELEN10 said:
Just some fan creations, some of them reaching levels of nightmare fuel beyond comprehension. Worst offenders in my humble opinion are of course fan characters and/or recolors.
Holy crap! I actually knew a guy that did that kind of thing. He was in an interactive media class I took. He had voiced over clips of the recolors on YouTube too! It was so bad!

I'll have to find those when I get home and post them.

Chao said:
It would be more amazing if the colors were, you know, right. Sonic's eyelids are the same colour as his belly or arms, not blue.

007sonic.jpg

This is technically the anime, but it's probably using the same current color standards.

Edit: Interesting, I think they did miscolor his arms in that shot, actually. :lol They're fine before and after.

HUELEN10

remz said:
Sonic X, pure quality :lol
Hush now. Sonic X was awesome, and I've got the picture to prove it!
9gjxbd.jpg

Tell me this is not awesome, tell me this whole episode was not awesome. I dare you! :lol

NTom64

Ugh, Sonic X is terrible. It'd be bearable if it actually focused on Sonic, but that tard Chris got all the attention.

The pilot made it look promising, too:

Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom