• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Teases for new 2D Sonic(?) game - Project Needlemouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

2j4rnma.jpg

Now that we are talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles graphics... am I the only one who saw the face on the left on the Sandopolis miniboss?

Only when I played recently I realized the actual face was the one on the right.

WillyFive

Chao said:
2j4rnma.jpg

Now that we are talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles graphics... am I the only one who saw the face on the left on the Sandopolis miniboss?

Only when I played recently I realized the actual face was the one on the right.

I always saw it as the left. That's what it looks like from both being blown up on a normal TV and actual size on a screenshot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Chao said:
2j4rnma.jpg

I always saw it as the one on the right. The eyes are in the right place in comparison to a real human face.

People said all they wanted was a 2D Sonic-only game and they'd be satisfied. After the announcement of just that, everybody's going around demanding the classic music team, modifying their favorite Sonic sprite/model to accommodate their personal interests, and raging about whether the evil Dr. should be named Eggman or Robotnik. They just can't win!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
AwakenedCloud said:
People said all they wanted was a 2D Sonic-only game and they'd be satisfied. After the announcement of just that, everybody's going around demanding the classic music team, modifying their favorite Sonic sprite/model to accommodate their personal interests, and raging about whether the evil Dr. should be named Eggman or Robotnik. They just can't win!

I don't really think people demands that the original composers, original sprites. original
and superior
Robotnik name etc. returns, we're just hoping for those things. As long as Needlemouse a) harkens back to classic Sonic and b) isn't utter shit, I'll probably be pleased.

orioto

Good Art™
Just passing to say i played the first sonic sometimes this week to do some study and fuck, Green Hill Zone stay one of the most dynamic and impressive graphics for a plateformer. The different parallaxes for the water and all, it didn't age that bad !

Why For?

Banned
Sonic 1/2 sprite is still the ultimate Sonic look (getting my tatt soon).

Sonic 3/Kuckles is the Sonic game that PLAYED the best though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
orioto said:
Just passing to say i played the first sonic sometimes this week to do some study and fuck, Green Hill Zone stay one of the most dynamic and impressive graphics for a plateformer. The different parallaxes for the water and all, it didn't age that bad !

Green Hill Zone from the Japanese version of Sonic 1 is impressive even today. Moving skies, moving flowers, parallax scrolling.. Great stuff. I think the Japanese version of Sonic 1 added some effects to the water in Labyrinth Zone too.

Chao

Combichristoffersen said:
Green Hill Zone from the Japanese version of Sonic 1 is impressive even today. Moving skies, moving flowers, parallax scrolling.. Great stuff. I think the Japanese version of Sonic 1 added some effects to the water in Labyrinth Zone too.

First time I've heard of this and it's true, it's a nice little bonus. They also get rid of the insta death when you fall on the spikes.

Ten-Song

To Far Away Times said:
Wonder if changing the picture on the sega forums could be hinting that the game is going to be sprite based?

If it is sprite based, I REALLY hope it's brand spanking new artwork that's all nice and pretty and HD, but part of me worries that if it's sprite based, it'll be old artwork with the kind of awful smoothing shit that pops up in awful Backbone ports of old games.

Part of me is hoping it's a 2.5D game just because that's one less thing to worry about Sega fucking up.

play-sega-1.jpg

Well at least we know someone at Sega can make good looking 16-bit Sega stuff, but then wouldnt the 'HD' part they've been touting for so long and leaving out the Wii be a bit suspect if it was 16-bit styled? Don't think too much should be read into that forum header.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Seeing that Sonic sprite during one of Unleashed's loading screens was like a slap in the face.

RubyEclipse said:
Oh, hey - look at that.

Told you it would be soon. ;)

Interesting. Nice idea for a challenge!

EDIT - you really should have mentioned Sonic CD in your blog entry though.

EDIT EDIT - More (real) concept art:

4309916425_bd4308916d.jpg

EDIT EDIT EDIT -

Fascinating quote from da blog:

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

EDIT EDIT EDIT x a billion

RubyEclipse, you're entering dangerous, sacred territory by mentioning Sonic 1-3k and hinting of a removal of that bastard boost button. You cannot let Sega ruin this. They'll cause the Sonic Cycle to implode into the Sonic Singularity, and kill us all.

Ten-Song

RubyEclipse said:
Oh, hey - look at that.

Told you it would be soon. ;)

NEWS!

Wait a minute...

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

So, does this count as an admission that pretty much all last gen and current gen Sonic games are awful?

applause.gif

Two State of the Union Addresses happened tonight.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
by the gods...

WillyFive

I am dissapointed for the enemy designs, they are the same enemies from the Genesis games, not anything really new.

Ten-Song said:
So, does this count as an admission that pretty much all last gen and current gen Sonic games are awful?

No. Where did you get that from? It just says that they were fast just because Sonic as a character was fast.

Salty

Banned
"The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name
Concept Art from the first Zone
A very cool extra bonus…"

Catalix

Big One

Banned
Well that's it, I'm pretty hyped right now. I have no doubt in this mind this will at least be a great game even if it doesn't perfectly capture the glory of the Genesis games.

PSMMs.jpg

jman2050

Actions speak louder than words, don't be an empty promise.

HUELEN10

So this will indeed be the first platform/momentum-based Sonic since Sonic Advance? Excellent. May it deliver!

I'm working on my, hopefully not too shitty submission, right now. I can't wait to see ones from other GAFers.

Why For?

Banned
andymcc said:
*obligatory username quote*

Yeah, after years of pussyfooting around and changing what I wanted, I've settled on getting a tattoo of 16-bit sprite running Sonic like the either the FIRST or LAST icon in that header posted.

I've got a couple of Sonic t-shirts at home too.

I've loved the guy since I was 11 or 12 (when it came out) and I'm now 30 (in June) and I still have this undying love for Sonic despite his games all sucking so hard post Adventure. I actually enjoyed Sonic 3D Blast though.

I for some sick masochist reason, have this belief that ONE day Sega will make a good Sonic game that returns to the roots.

Looks like Ruby's post has given me a hype erection!

Ten-Song

Willy105 said:
No. Where did you get that from? It just says that they were fast just because Sonic as a character was fast.

It says that they were fast artificially though, which is the key thing. Obviously no one working at Sega will say something along the lines of "yeah, we're really sorry for decimating our own flagship series into nothing more than a laughing stock that's only beloved by creepy people," however it still seems to count somewhat as acknowledgment of maybe making a game that's fun to play again.

Though I'm obviously taking EVERYTHING said with a huge grain of salt.

Catalix

HUELEN10 said:
I'm working on my, hopefully not too shitty submission, right now. I can't wait to see ones from other GAFers.
Yeah, really looking forward to GAF's art submissions, too.

This should be fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom