• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
finally got past the big snake. beat the boss dude on the horse. was a close fight but i guess for my first main boss it was easy. still can't beat lady butterfly or purple ninja dude.

feeling like i'm making progress now :) just spoke to the guy with the weird mask in the building near the boss area. he wants me to hunt rats with him but not sure it's a good idea.

Bear in mind this is my first character action or From game but... I've been stuck on Lady Butterfly for hours now.

I know what I need to do, I just can't do it. I'm thinking I may just go back to the main storyline now and come back to her later because I'm aware that I haven't actually beaten any of the proper bosses yet as she is an optional boss?
that's what i did. i felt like i was spending forever in that area and trying to fight her. i just left and went back to the main path.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The game has fantastic art direction, it looks absolutely gorgeous!!

Also....
beat that corrupted monk, at first I got scared of this boss having 3 red orbs but you can easily just go to top of the tree when he summons his shadows and just one shot his second phase.

You can do that for the first phase too.

Vawn

Banned
finally got past the big snake. beat the boss dude on the horse. was a close fight but i guess for my first main boss it was easy. still can't beat lady butterfly or purple ninja dude.

feeling like i'm making progress now :) just spoke to the guy with the weird mask in the building near the boss area. he wants me to hunt rats with him but not sure it's a good idea.

that's what i did. i felt like i was spending forever in that area and trying to fight her. i just left and went back to the main path.

Are you attack level 2 yet? I couldn't beat her for quite a while, but I got to her early. After beating the other main boss and all optional bosses, she was much easier.

Easier. Not easy. This has been my hardest From game yet. I've platinumed all the others, but this one has combat that makes it difficult for me to react fast enough or read enemy move sets quick enough.

Bear in mind this is my first character action or From game but... I've been stuck on Lady Butterfly for hours now.

I know what I need to do, I just can't do it. I'm thinking I may just go back to the main storyline now and come back to her later because I'm aware that I haven't actually beaten any of the proper bosses yet as she is an optional boss?

Yeah that's what I did. I explored a ton and came back when I had 13 vitality, 2 attack power, and 5 healing gourds. I also had upgraded my skills greatly. Then I was finally able to beat her, but it still took a few tries and was really tough, not a breeze by any means. You have to be patient in the second phase. There's no need to use snap seeds either if you are patient with the illusions.

JohannCK

I've seen a lot of people call Sekiro linear but it's actually pretty open. If you can't handle a boss you should just leave and explore.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

that's what i did. i felt like i was spending forever in that area
Are you attack level 2 yet? I couldn't beat her for quite a while, but I got to her early. After beating the other main boss and all optional bosses, she was much easier.

Easier. Not easy. This has been my hardest From game yet. I've platinumed all the others, but this one has combat that makes it difficult for me to react fast enough or read enemy move sets quick enough.
i've only levelled my attack once. the first memory i got was beating the horse boss. not sure how i am meant to get another memory.

JimiNutz

Banned
That's what i did. i felt like i was spending forever in that area and trying to fight her. i just left and went back to the main path.
I've seen a lot of people call Sekiro linear but it's actually pretty open. If you can't handle a boss you should just leave and explore.

I've been really stubborn and have refused to leave until she's dead but it's getting ridiculous now and I've spent countless hours dying at her hands. I can just about get through the first stage with minimal damage but that second phase always gets me.

Yeah that's what I did. I explored a ton and came back when I had 13 vitality, 2 attack power, and 5 healing gourds. I also had upgraded my skills greatly. Then I was finally able to beat her, but it still took a few tries and was really tough, not a breeze by any means. You have to be patient in the second phase. There's no need to use snap seeds either if you are patient with the illusions.

I've got 3 gourds and 1 attack power (think I've upgraded my vitality once). I look forward to returning to her buffed up to hopefully wreck her.

that's what i did. i felt like i was spending forever in that area

i've only levelled my attack once. the first memory i got was beating the horse boss. not sure how i am meant to get another memory.

Horse boss here I come!

I'm glad I didn't give up. I'm loving the game.
Now that I'm better at combat the game is a lot easier. But still challenging with little bullshit here and there.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've been really stubborn and have refused to leave until she's dead but it's getting ridiculous now and I've spent countless hours dying at her hands. I can just about get through the first stage with minimal damage but that second phase always gets me.

I've got 3 gourds and 1 attack power (think I've upgraded my vitality once). I look forward to returning to her buffed up to hopefully wreck her.

Horse boss here I come!
he's so much easier than lady butterfly. firecrackers makes it easier but as long as you can deflect shots (which you should be able to do by now) and keep close enough to grapple hook attack him then you'll be fine. i found it better if you stick closer to the horse and just get 2-3 hits in. he has plenty of windows for you to attack.

i beat him first try. it took me about 10 tries at all the other mini bosses.

Last edited:

Codes 208

You have to love her whole 'you act like you don't see me' bit.

I'm farming for snap seeds and divine confetti. You can farm for confetti in the upper estates. I'm also wanting that mask for strength points. 5 skill points for 1 point in strength.
I knew about divine confetti, too bad it’s still a super rare drop from those blue robed samurai though.

Codes 208

Just beat
The guardian ape on my second try. He really doesn't like fire, does he. Corrupted Monk is next in line to catch these hands.
corrupted monk is easily the weakest of the two. Just spam firecrackers with divine confetti and a strength sugar and he’ll go down in less than a minute.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
corrupted monk is easily the weakest of the two. Just spam firecrackers with divine confetti and a strength sugar and he’ll go down in less than a minute.
Firecrackers against corrupted monk!? I thought those only work against animal based bosses and even with Ape boss, once you cut off his head his no longer effected by firecrackers.

Codes 208

Firecrackers against corrupted monk!? I thought those only work against animal based bosses and even with Ape boss, once you cut off his head his no longer effected by firecrackers.
Oh it definitely works. If you have snaps seeds, it’s basically over before it began.

Vawn

Banned

They work against almost every boss and regular enemy in the game.

Grinchy

Banned
I'll probably finally go fight Lady Butterfly next time I play. I keep finding myself just exploring areas and opening up new pathways. If I get to a miniboss, I try it, die and then go in a different direction to explore another path. So now whenever I play, I just stare at the fast travel list trying to remember which places go where and wondering what I should be doing next :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I may have been a little iffy about this game at first, but I've been enjoying it a lot more the last couple days.

Codes 208

I found myself a good combo. When Sekiro has me raging, I just switch over Yoshi’s crafted world, a (literal) feel good game lol.

Vawn

Banned
It's hard to know in this game what you have to do to get the good ending until it's too late

It wouldn't be a From game otherwise.

Sometimes you have to do what seems to be the wrong thing to get the good ending. Sometimes you get what you assume is the bad ending, only to read online that's actually the "good" ending. From worlds are seldom happy places regardless of what you do.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It's hard to know in this game what you have to do to get the good ending until it's too late
You basically need to read a guide because the game doesn’t really tell or explain what to do. IE You could work your way to the divine child but considering a good chunk of her dialogue is about rice, one would probably expect that she’s not important story-wise
It wouldn't be a From game otherwise.
This is also true.

Last edited:
They're just more effective against beasts, usually putting them in a long special stun animation, but they work against almost everything. Can even use them to knock human bosses out of super attacks and to get a free shot in.

Beat him by deflecting everything then mortal blade, mortal blade. Dodge his jump attack, mortal blade, mortal blade etc. Took a few goes but got him in the end.

Dvidus

If the generaal consensus is that this game is too easy, I wonder how people cheesed

the owl and Isshin

Because holy hell, these fights gave me at least thrice the amount of tries as solo’ing Old Hunters Maria or the Nameless King did.

Hotspurr

Banned
I think the difficulty in this game is off.
Sometimes it's just hard for the sake of being hard, like a certain boss encounter when they call in a friend - just not fun.

Also certain bosses encourage you to go ham, while other bosses make you play like souls - there is not really an underlying motif for what this game is meant to be. To me it seemed like it's a game about keeping pressure on and parrying. Well good luck with that with some of the later bosses.

Also having to collect/buy little butterflies to use your trick arm is absurd. Just spawn me with full resources and let me enjoy the damn thing. I feel this was a dumb decision. It doesn't help that a lot of the upgrades you get aren't all that useful either for either the skills or the arm.

It's a decent game but doesn't touch the quality and enjoyment of bloodborne. That game was a masterpiece and this game feels like a 3/4 baked adventure based on the bloodborne katana build.

decisions

Picked up the game last night, only about an hour in and haven't fought a real boss yet but the game made a very strong first impression on me. I loved the other recent From games and I really like the art direction, increased mobility, expanded story elements, and combat. Excited to keep going tonight and I hope the game can sustain its momentum.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think the difficulty in this game is off.
Sometimes it's just hard for the sake of being hard, like a certain boss encounter when they call in a friend - just not fun.

Also certain bosses encourage you to go ham, while other bosses make you play like souls - there is not really an underlying motif for what this game is meant to be. To me it seemed like it's a game about keeping pressure on and parrying. Well good luck with that with some of the later bosses.

Also having to collect/buy little butterflies to use your trick arm is absurd. Just spawn me with full resources and let me enjoy the damn thing. I feel this was a dumb decision. It doesn't help that a lot of the upgrades you get aren't all that useful either for either the skills or the arm.

It's a decent game but doesn't touch the quality and enjoyment of bloodborne. That game was a masterpiece and this game feels like a 3/4 baked adventure based on the bloodborne katana build.

Spirit Emblems, not butterflies. Plus they are super easy to get. The only real reason they exist is to prevent you from spamming the same ability over and over again as many of the prosthetics can provide you windows of opportunity to attack.

As for bosses - outside of a few of the super large ones like the Ape or Hatred, almost all humanoid can be parried and and defeated if you keep up the pressure.

Speaking of Hatred, I was watching others fight him and I noticed I got bonus dialogue during the fight others weren't getting. I thought that was a nice touch and reward for something I did.......that I have no idea what I did..

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
Spirit Emblems, not butterflies. Plus they are super easy to get. The only real reason they exist is to prevent you from spamming the same ability over and over again as many of the prosthetics can provide you windows of opportunity to attack.

As for bosses - outside of a few of the super large ones like the Ape or Hatred, almost all humanoid can be parried and and defeated if you keep up the pressure.

They could just spawn you with a set amount each time. If you are fighting a boss and run out on subsequent retries you have to go farm or buy. Just wastes time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They could just spawn you with a set amount each time. If you are fighting a boss and run out on subsequent retries you have to go farm or buy. Just wastes time.

I mean, you get so much Sen that it really is never an issue for buying. I currently have a stockpile of around 300 and that is with gratuitous use of the tools.

Codes 208

I mean, you get so much Sen that it really is never an issue for buying. I currently have a stockpile of around 300 and that is with gratuitous use of the tools.
Plus it’s similar to the blood vials of bloodborne, it’s really not hard to get more.

I recommend using a mibu of spirit at Mibu Village. You can get pretty much 10+ per minute here.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Picked up the game last night, only about an hour in and haven't fought a real boss yet but the game made a very strong first impression on me. I loved the other recent From games and I really like the art direction, increased mobility, expanded story elements, and combat. Excited to keep going tonight and I hope the game can sustain its momentum.
im 12 hours in and JUST beat my first major boss. well i got to a major boss a few hours ago but still haven't beat them but i'll come back later.

this game is easily gonna be the longest FromSoftware game i've played. It's probably gonna take me minimum of 50 hours. for the record it took me ~30 hours to finish DS1/3, ~35 for Bloodborne, and ~40 for DS2.

1 hour in is nothing. the game is still explaining things to me and i'm still learning.

Last edited:

Shifty

Eh, the price scaling toward the endgame coupled with lots of stuff to buy from merchants meant I was often lacking in spirit emblems for boss encounters. Did a lot of them sans-tool.

It becomes a total non-issue in NG+, but I would have liked to see it regenerate - perhaps up to a certain amount - on rest.

Last edited:
Played through to the chained ogre without dying (I fell off a few cliffs, but it just put me right back to where I jumped off....does that count?) The parrying is actually pretty easy so far.

Ogre killed me a couple of times before I saved and quit. The beer count is too high to go on. It's like fighting Hulk Hogan, brother. Drop kicks and elbow drops. I feel kind of cheap hitting and running, but it seems to be working.

wzy

This should almost be the topic title because it's so important: the estate is an incredibly hard area that you're meant to revisit now and again. Any time you're dying enough to cause rot, you should just try to go somewhere else for a while and see if things work out there instead. There's really no reason to waste hours grinding a boss that you'll be able to clear pretty easily later on.

I'm still early in the game, but so far I definitely prefer Nioh to this. Both are great, but I feel like everything in Nioh was clear, and much more polished. In this I feel like a lot of the enemy animations are difficult to read at times with low level enemies using feints and unpredictable combos, and I'm not a fan of the red kanji to signify unblockables.

The platforming is also a little glitchy at times. I often have to grab a ledge over and over before it sticks.

I am not finding much use for the wall hug or wall hug death blows yet either. Seems most of the stealth is using grass or jumping on enemies. Using the ceramic jar to try to lure over enemies seems almost totally useless as you can't tell how far you're going to throw it to make it an effective lure, and throwing it with up on the d-pad feels weird.

Going to just keep pushing on until it feels more natural. I had a similar period where I didn't like Bloodborne either, then it clicked for me.

Arachnid

I'm still early in the game, but so far I definitely prefer Nioh to this. Both are great, but I feel like everything in Nioh was clear, and much more polished. In this I feel like a lot of the enemy animations are difficult to read at times with low level enemies using feints and unpredictable combos, and I'm not a fan of the red kanji to signify unblockables.

The platforming is also a little glitchy at times. I often have to grab a ledge over and over before it sticks.

I am not finding much use for the wall hug or wall hug death blows yet either. Seems most of the stealth is using grass or jumping on enemies. Using the ceramic jar to try to lure over enemies seems almost totally useless as you can't tell how far you're going to throw it to make it an effective lure, and throwing it with up on the d-pad feels weird.

Going to just keep pushing on until it feels more natural. I had a similar period where I didn't like Bloodborne either, then it clicked for me.
For grabbing ledges, hold the grab button as you reach it. He holds his hands out and grabs automatically. You'll never miss another ledge again

Played through to the chained ogre without dying (I fell off a few cliffs, but it just put me right back to where I jumped off....does that count?) The parrying is actually pretty easy so far.

Ogre killed me a couple of times before I saved and quit. The beer count is too high to go on. It's like fighting Hulk Hogan, brother. Drop kicks and elbow drops. I feel kind of cheap hitting and running, but it seems to be working.
It's weird but with him you can avoid almost all of his attacks by backing up a bit. Jumping also does wonders, but just backing up gives you more free hits

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Monkey finally killed... I just runned around this motherfucker (2P) and hit it after thrust attack, it was a long fight and to this point I was very agressive on bosses but I'm glad it's over :)

JimiNutz

Banned
This should almost be the topic title because it's so important: the estate is an incredibly hard area that you're meant to revisit now and again. Any time you're dying enough to cause rot, you should just try to go somewhere else for a while and see if things work out there instead. There's really no reason to waste hours grinding a boss that you'll be able to clear pretty easily later on.

Yeah I had no idea. I thought since I reached Lady Butterfly I should try to kill her before moving on.

I went form Lady Butterfly to Horse Boss and did his easily. Bull Boss doesn't seem that hard either. Once I've done Horse Boss I'll go back and try Butterfly again.

Top Bottom