• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate votes 98-2 to send Russia sanctions to Trump's desk (Paul/Sanders voted No)

If he vetos, it goes back for a vote to override in the Senate and House, and they need only a two thirds majority in both.

At 98-2 in the Senate and 419-3 in the House, even with some stooge GOPers who back off to appease Trump, that override would pass and Trump would just make himself look even more like a Russian puppet without blocking anything.

oh god he's gonna do it isn't he

Democrats are the same garbage as Republicans, can't wait for the sanctions and measures from the EU against the US.

this is adorable

Lesath

discuss with your european allies the best course of action to take as a group, thus ensuring that, whatever you do end up doing, it has the maximum possible impact.

As far as I understand it, most of our diplomatic machinery falls under the purview of the executive branch. When it's the legislative branch making this move, perhaps there is some difficulty involved?

Democrats are the same garbage as Republicans, can't wait for the sanctions and measures from the EU against the US.

I think the democrats would have handled this more professionally, because the white house would not be a shit show like it is right now.

I can understand being apprehensive on Iran given the recent statements attributed to Trump about trying to intentionally find fault with their treaty check-ups.

I think you probably still vote on this with the realization it isn't going to fail and a protest-vote here does less good than raising the issue elsewhere, though.

Isn't this in retaliation to Russia antagonizing allies?

It's primarily because of Russias hacking efforts in the US election, I think. Sanctions were already set in place after Crimea got annexed, by the US and the EU as an coordination effort.

this is adorable

He's right about the second part, y'know

I think the democrats would have handled this more professionally, because the white house would not be a shit show like it is right now.

That's for sure. If an actually competent president were sitting in office, coordination would be way more likely.

pigeon

Banned
he said iran but i think he's voted against other sanctions too

it's a bad lazy bill and bad foreign policy drawn up for political reasons that will make lowering sanctions next to impossible for even future presidents. it will also hurt our allies.

but we get a "lol donald owned " headlines

On the other hand, it's a lot better than your proposed response which is to try to see it from Russia's point of view.

theWB27

It's primarily because of Russias hacking efforts in the US election, I think. Sanctions were already set in place after Crimea got annexed, by the US and the EU as an coordination effort.

He's right about the second part, y'know

That's what i mean. People don't want the US to do this because it will antagonize allies. But this is being done because one of the EU's allies are being antagonized.

What makes it worse is government can't coordinate the way it should because our president is only allies with Russia... who truly aren't allies to anyone.

Sanders?

george-hamilton-colonel-sanders-kfc-730x411.jpg

Fucking gay blade coward..

That's what i mean. People don't want the US to do this because it will antagonize allies. But this is being done because one of the EU's allies are being antagonized.

What makes it worse is government can't coordinate the way it should because our president is only allies with Russia... who truly aren't allies to anyone.

You're right, and it's not a good look for the EU that they're dependent on Russia when it comes to gas (admittedly, they didn't have much time to change that yet, but it's still not progressing as it should), but just "doing something" isn't the best idea either.

I'd rather have them urging Trump to lead coordination efforts. Doesn't hurt to try.

Zolo

Pretty much. Ideally, our president could coordinate with the EU, but hey! Dude wants to be buddies with Russia. Also need to prevent him from lifting sanctions.

If he vetoes it, two things happen.

1. It passes anyway.

2. Makes him look that much more like a Putin stooge boy.

So, what the hell! Veto it, Cheeto! Just keep digging that grave.

mas8705

Alot of paranoid people are going to get even more paranoid should Trump veto the sanctions bill. Hell knows that this bill will go through regardless of whatever Trump does. Checks and Balances.

pigeon

Banned
You're right, and it's not a good look for the EU that they're dependent on Russia when it comes to gas (admittedly, they didn't have much time to change that yet, but it's still not progressing as it should), but just "doing something" isn't the best idea either.

I'd rather have them urging Trump to lead coordination efforts. Doesn't hurt to try.

Literally the entire point of this bill is that Trump cannot be trusted because he was colluding with Russia. Did you like just wake up from a coma?

theWB27

It does hurt actually. Why waste time arguing to a brick wall to move when you can just walk around it.

Literally the entire point of this bill is that Trump cannot be trusted because he was colluding with Russia. Did you like just wake up from a coma?

He's the fucking president. It's his job to listen to allies and work with them. Regardless of him being a Russian stooge, Congress should do ALL they can to make him meet with allies to work on this, even if it means him just nodding and his advisors doing the actual work.

I'm sorry that I expect basic tasks of the highest American office to be performed.

It does hurt actually. Why waste time arguing to a brick wall to move when you can just walk around it.

Because behind the brick wall are your allies waiting to jump on you for throwing them under the bus instead of working together to break it.

Kusagari

He's the fucking president. It's his job to listen to allies and work with them. Regardless of him being a Russian stooge, Congress should do ALL they can to make him meet with allies to work on this, even if it means him just nodding and his advisors doing the actual work.

I'm sorry that I expect basic tasks of the highest American office to be performed.

Because behind the brick wall are your allies waiting to jump on you for throwing them under the bus instead of working together to break it.

You don't understand how Trump works. The more you urge him to do something the more it pisses him off.

Shauni

You clearly know nothing about Trump if you think this is even remotely feasible with him.

You don't understand how Trump works. The more you urge him to do something the more it pisses him off.

You clearly know nothing about Trump if you think this is even remotely feasible with him.

So "doing something" is your solution to this, yeah? Great.

The world apparently needs to come to terms with the fact that you can't work with the US on anything major anymore, and instead the US will at best try measures which piss off their allies and end up in them fighting over it, while Russia is just looking at the mess from afar.

He has no allies.

He wants no allies.

He hates anyone who doesn't give him 100% support, regardless of how stupid his agenda is.

Lesath

So far we've got an upheaval in our state department with most of our senior diplomats let go, tons of executive appointments yet to be filled, profiteering off of a government position, a stolen Supreme Court seat, exit from the Paris accords, a federal ban discriminating entry to the United States on the basis of religion, healthcare for millions of Americans on a tightrope, and an erosion of the civil liberties we've worked hard to build up over the past decade...

...and you want a Republican Congress, with power it doesn't have, to make the President to meet with our allies, whom he doesn't like, in order to coordinate sanctions against the Russian government that enabled his electoral win, which he doesn't want to do.

Chindogg

Fuckin' Bernie, man.

Jesus Bernie.

Bernie Sanders is messed up, period point blank. Who knows what's rattling around in there.

Bernie's been known to vote no on certain parts of a bill that he doesn't like. In this case, he wasn't a fan of adding sanctions to Iran out of possibly fucking up the nuclear deal.

Of course you would know this if you actually read the fucking reasoning instead of just making hot takes based on one sentence.

Shauni

So "doing something" is your solution to this, yeah? Great.

The world apparently needs to come to terms with the fact that you can't work with the US on anything major anymore, and instead the US will at best try measures which piss off their allies and end up in them fighting over it, while Russia is just looking at the mess from afar.

I'm not saying I agree with the bill's contents per say, but Donald Trump cannot be trusted with Russian sanctions and he cannot be muzzled to just let aides and allies do things as he's shown that won't work. You don't seem to understand this. Believe me, I wish it wasn't like this, either, but it is.

pigeon

Banned
He's the fucking president. It's his job to listen to allies and work with them.

Yes, but he does not want to do that and probably isn't capable of it.

Regardless of him being a Russian stooge, Congress should do ALL they can to make him meet with allies to work on this, even if it means him just nodding and his advisors doing the actual work.

I feel like you're not really getting this.

Trump will not meet with European allies to work against Russia because Trump wants to work with Russia against America's European allies.

Every trip he's taken to Europe has been explicitly to demonstrate exactly that. He literally went to the G-20 to have an ostentatious, unminuted meeting with Putin in front of all the other European leaders.

He's not going to nod while his advisors do the work, he's going to actively betray any confidences Europe places in him to Russia immediately. He has literally already done this with other allies.

There's a reason that this bill explicitly takes away Trump's power to unilaterally lift the sanctions. It's because we assumed he would do it.

It's nice to have expectations. They just, you know, need to be tempered with perceptions of reality.

I'm not saying I agree with the bill's contents per say, but Donald Trump cannot be trusted with Russian sanctions and he cannot be muzzled to just let aides and allies do things as he's shown that won't work. You don't seem to understand this. Believe me, I wish it wasn't like this, either, but it is.

I fully understand that it isn't probable. But that THIS is the alternative that they go along with without thinking of the effects this will have is astonishing to me.

Yes, but he does not want to do that and probably isn't capable of it.

I feel like you're not really getting this.

Trump will not meet with European allies to work against Russia because Trump wants to work with Russia against America's European allies.

Every trip he's taken to Europe has been explicitly to demonstrate exactly that. He literally went to the G-20 to have an ostentatious, unminuted meeting with Putin in front of all the other European leaders.

He's not going to nod while his advisors do the work, he's going to actively betray any confidences Europe places in him to Russia immediately. He has literally already done this with other allies.

There's a reason that this bill explicitly takes away Trump's power to unilaterally lift the sanctions. It's because we assumed he would do it.

It's nice to have expectations. They just, you know, need to be tempered with perceptions of reality.

Then why the fuck is your government going ahead with a half-assed solution like this instead when basic coordination isn't possible anymore and y'all are just like: "At least it will make Trump look bad when he tries to veto it!"

pigeon

Banned
Then why the fuck is your government going ahead with a half-assed solution like this instead and y'all are just like: "At least it will make Trump look bad when he tries to veto it!"

It seems...pretty whole-assed to me? It puts very severe sanctions on Russia and prevents Trump from removing them. That's pretty much the goal. What's the missing ass, in your view?

It seems...pretty whole-assed to me? It puts very severe sanctions on Russia and prevents Trump from removing them. That's pretty much the goal. What's the missing ass, in your view?

What's missing is the consideration that this will threaten EU energy security, which pretty much guarantuees the EU side fighting these sanctions, since they're gonna suffer from it along with Russia.

pigeon

Banned
What's missing is the consideration that this will threaten EU energy security, which pretty much guarantuees the EU side fighting these sanctions, since they're gonna suffer from it along with Russia.

I mean, if the EU want to protect Russia so that Russia can continue interfering with the sovereign politics of EU nations, I guess that's their choice. Seems weird to me. I would do a different thing.

Ultimately if the EU want Russia to actually stop fucking with people they should start thinking about how to actually hurt them economically. Not buying all your energy from them might be a place to start.

Bernie's been known to vote no on certain parts of a bill that he doesn't like. In this case, he wasn't a fan of adding sanctions to Iran out of possibly fucking up the nuclear deal.

Of course you would know this if you actually read the fucking reasoning instead of just making hot takes based on one sentence.

Cool the kneejerk arrogance. I read the reasoning, and I'm familiar with Bernie Sanders' long history of bullshit. Voting based on parts of a bill instead of considering the whole is just one reason why Bernie is such an unreasonable child. Same thing as when he voted in favor of mass incarceration.

Top Bottom