• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senator Bob Corker (R) Tennessee will not seek re-election next year

RPGCrazied

I hear this woman could be a challenger. Yikes.

DKrNo_oW0AALK3w.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm really not seeing Arizona as a "toss-up". I don't forsee a strong Democrat candidate for Senate.

If Kelli Ward beats Flake in the primary and John McCain retires/passes away, both seats could go blue. It’s an absolutely best case pie in the sky scenario but not implausible really

BriGuy

They'll just replace him with some Yosemite Sam type that uses the N-word freely. Call me a pessimist, but I think we're at the point where things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Dyle

Cool, swinging a state from a solid R to a leans R makes taking a Senate seat a lot more likely. I'm not familiar with Democratic leaders in Tennessee, but I'm sure one of them could make a strong campaign

Mark Kirk is not a good example of how a seat can swing from one party to the other, though. Giannoulias, and the Democratic Party in Illinois as a whole, was tainted by working with Blagoviech's administration, given that Blagoviech's impeachment and very questionable appointment of Roland Burris as Obama's replacement. It was as much a referendum on the status of state government as it was electing a senator, and Mark Kirk did a good job of being a centrist candidate who could appeal to voters disillusioned by Blagoviech's blatant corruption. A better example would be Joni Ernst flipping Iowa's 2nd senator red after Tom Harkin's retirement in 2014, since she ran a successful campaign after a long-term senator retired and the Democratic newcomer was unable to capture the respect/interest of former Harkin voters

Uh, yeah, Kyrsten Sinema is basically going to run and it's a tossup in a state that Trump won by like 3 points.

They already have the strongest candidate with Kyrsten Sinema.
Sinema has not announced her candidacy as far as I can tell. It'd be great if she won (she's my district rep), but I just don't see it.

If Kelli Ward beats Flake in the primary and John McCain retires/passes away, both seats could go blue. It’s an absolutely best case pie in the sky scenario but not implausible really

You're underestimating the amount of nutjobs that would vote for Kelli Ward over literally anyone running as a 'D' in Arizona.

The GOP won Illinois in a midterm after it went for Obama 62-37 Obama. Open seats in midterms are weird.

As much as I think Dems do have a good chance if they can find a good candidate in Tennessee (even though I don't know who that would be), that was a pretty special case as Illinois Dems had basically proven themselves as some of the most corrupt politicians in the country at that time(the standing governor attempted to sell Obama's seat to the highest bidder after he was elected president, and is currently in jail because of that).

leroidys

I wonder when Orrin Hatch is gonna retire. That dude is 83 and has been serving in the senate for over 40 years.

"What do you call a Senator who's served in office for 18 years? You call him home."
-Orrin Hatch in his first campaign, speaking about his predecessor's long tenure.

Steel

Banned
2018 is going to be a hell of an election year. Hoping the get out the vote apparatus takes this as seriously as they should.

Get out the vote should definitely be out in full force, but in the end it's up to people to not be complete dumbasses and let pubs stay where they are.

Tennessee will not go democratic. This is an opportunity for freedom caucus to pick up a seat at the expense of an establishment republican.

This map looks like more of an opportunity for Republicans then Democrats. Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Florida, and West Virginia all went for Trump last year.

It is, but some of those states are legitimately purple with decently popular Dem senators (Florida, Ohio) and the Dem senators in some of the red states are still polling pretty well (North Dakota, West Virginia, and I think Montana). The two that really have to be watched out for right now are Indiana and Missouri. Also, the Dems are almost assuredly going to get Heller's seat in Nevada.

Socivol

They'll just replace him with some Yosemite Sam type that uses the N-word freely. Call me a pessimist, but I think we're at the point where things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Oh yeah it's Tennessee. The only thing is that Nashville is starting to be more diverse and is growing rapidly, but I think politically the state is going to be Republican territory for the foreseeable future.

This map looks like more of an opportunity for Republicans then Democrats. Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Florida, and West Virginia all went for Trump last year.

Well yes it is. It's the same class of senators as 2000 (went even), 2006 (anti-bush wave), and 2012 (obama reelection) so the senate class is super-blue right now.

indiana and missouri are way more in jepoardy than any of the seats you just named though. those two tossups are currently held by dems.

WV loves manchin. he's got enough of an independent brand to keep his seat for life at this rate.

Ohio and florida are still purple. they didn't turn into oklahoma overnight.

incumbency advantage + no trump on the ballot to mobilize deplorables + no anti-hilary madness to make "moderates" do idiotic things means that the dems have improbably good odds of defending a very large number of seats while booting heller and taking swings at AZ.

Mortemis

Banned
lol GAF thinking Tennessee will go Democrat

Majority of posts (or at least half) are expressing the opposite but sure lololol gaf amirite.

Well yes it is. It's the same class of senators as 2000 (went even), 2006 (anti-bush wave), and 2012 (obama reelection) so the senate class is super-blue right now.

indiana and missouri are way more in jepoardy than any of the seats you just named though. those two tossups are currently held by dems.

WV loves manchin. he's got enough of an independent brand to keep his seat for life at this rate.

Ohio and florida are still purple. they didn't turn into oklahoma overnight.

incumbency advantage + no trump on the ballot to mobilize deplorables + no anti-hilary madness to make "moderates" do idiotic things means that the dems have improbably good odds of defending a very large number of seats while booting heller and taking swings at AZ.

These are my thoughts as well. Holds in Indiana and Missouri would be amazing but it's not looking like a sure thing. Hope is in Nevada and Arizona.

nah you guys are right with the "why bother" posts, let's only contest the handful of seats in states with conditions favorable to democrats because that's gone over so fuckin' well in the rest of the decade

Corker won the seat in a very close race in 2006. Yes it was an anti-Bush wave but who knows what things will be like in 2018.

Socivol

nah you guys are right with the "why bother" posts, let's only contest the handful of seats in states with conditions favorable to democrats because that's gone over so fuckin' well in the rest of the decade

To think Tennessee would go Democratic is pretty impractical. Could it happen sure, anything is possible but it's not going to happen. Look at the state legislature and the difference in registered Democrats versus registered Republicans in the state. It's not a state that's going to be in play if you know the politics of Tennessee.

Scott Desjarlais a "family values" Tea Party asshole was reelected after it came out that not only did he cheat on his wife, he made his mistress have an abortion AND he made his wife have an abortion. Those people are going to vote for whoever has an R next to their name regardless of what they actually stand for.

I feel like if Michigan was open half of GAF would say that Trump won it and Dems have no shot.

Socivol

Harold Ford got 48% of the vote there in 2006. Shouldn't write off open seats.

The climate was much different then though. There was dissatisfaction amount the Republican base with Bush at that point. The same can't currently be said about Trump's base in TN. He is perfectly pandering to uneducated, white racist voters. They are loving his ridiculous rhetoric. Something could change in the next year, but I doubt it would change enough for the state to elect a Democratic Senator.

To think Tennessee would go Democratic is pretty impractical. Could it happen sure, anything is possible but it's not going to happen. Look at the state legislature and the difference in registered Democrats versus registered Republicans in the state. It's not a state that's going to be in play if you know the politics of Tennessee.

I'm going to inform Mark Kirk and Scott Brown that they were never elected to the Senate against extremely strong state Democratic headwinds in a wave election

Socivol

I'm going to inform Mark Kirk and Scott Brown that they were never elected to the Senate against extremely strong state Democratic headwinds in a wave election

Mark Kirk winning a seat isn't surprising. If the populations in or around Chicago vote even remotely Republican a Republican has a chance to win because the majority of Illinois votes Republican to begin with. It would take a huge statewide shift that that to occur in Tennessee which is not likely under the current climate.

Top Bottom