• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sense of Awe: Gaming Moments frozen in time

In Super Metrioid when that Metroid thingie clamps down on your neck and almost sucks all your life out. Then, moments later in the final battle as you're getting dummied up, it races over to help you out and then dies.

Awesome moment.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DCharlie said:
and i'll further refine the point where i get a very very warm sense flowing over me :) :

it's the point where the tube comes down and all the rockets fly out and the music just changes perfectly in time to that glorious sample from the 60s song that i forget the name of.

It's like a rush you get when you are clubbing and the music hits the heights.

My favorite part of Area 5 is way at the end, when you are approaching space and the "angels" are coming down and attacking, and the music gets all lush and melodic... feels like you are transcending to a new plane of existence. Another thing that never fails to get a rush out of me is the "Running Man" boss fight in Area 4.

Some others:

-Nei's death

-Opening up the treasure chest in Noah in Phantasy Star 2 and out pops Dark Force...

-The Aircraft Carrier stage in Sin and Punishment.

-The Super Metroid final battle

-Seeing Sephiroth cast SuperNova for the first time

-Secret of Mana when you're battling Geshtar and then Flammie swoops down and rescues you

-Ico's ending

-The Inverted Castle being revealed in SOTN

-Getting to Zeal for the first time in CT

Mar

I should add another two to my list:

Super Metroid: Already mentioned, but I had to agree. The super bomb exploding the glass tube, the last fight, and the run out. Also, saving the little guys at the end (easter egg).

LoZ WW: When you awaken the harp chick and she realises who she is. It was beautiful.

GT4 DOES have a 1080i option.(GAF explodes!).
Fatal Frame 1 scared the shit out of me.
Silent Hill 3.
Ico.
Metroid's brilliance of game design.

Speevy

Banned
1) K.K. Slider playing a song for the first time
2) Looking out across the Dantooine outback in KOTOR
3) Dodging airplanes in Little Nemo's train stage

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Mario 64 - First Mario game I ever hated.

Zelda OOT - First Zelda game I ever hated.

Sonic Heroes - First Sonic game I ever hated (later came to hate SA2 after previously liking it).

Resident Evil 0 - First Leech Zombie encounter ;_; It was an accidental one and I swear it
isn't noted in CVXfreaks faq! >_<;;

Resident Evil 2 - Gun shop owner getting owned. Honestly I never saw it coming!

Viewtiful Joe 2 - The whole level with Miss. Bloody Rachel slowly learning about the heart.

Sonic 3 - Intro to Ice Cap Zone with the snowboarding. Soooo cool!

Brain Age - Finally getting to the 10 seconds mark on Calc x20!

I got alot more but thats plenty already listed!

reallyfun

Banned
Lindsay said:
Mario 64 - First Mario game I ever hated.

Zelda OOT - First Zelda game I ever hated.
0_o
Why is it that the most rabbid N-haters are girls?? There's one on GameFAQs as well. Her name is TechniMyoko, and she HATES Nintendo with a passion. Her posts and rants on Nintendo are almost barbaric.

Anyhow, mine has to be Zelda OoT when I got from Young Link to Adult Link.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Great thread everyone.

- Silent Hill 2: At the intro cut scene James is standing in a bathtoom and the camera is moving around and the music is going and then James is just standing there. I just sat there waiting and watching and then finally got annoyed and grabbed the controller and was kinda like "are you gonna freakin move?". That's when I found out that the cutscene was over and the game looked that good. I was completely stunned.

- Resident Evil: Dogs jumping through the windows. Wow. I actually yelled and dropped the controller. I quickly grabbed it and hit pause and then just stared at the friend I was playing with (who had already played that part and was just waiting to see how I reacted). I was amazed that a game could frighten me like that. I've been a survival horror fan since that moment.

- Half Life: The Crowbar. I didn't play the game until just a couple of years ago, but I was well aware that the game had a crowbar in it. I just so excited when I got it.

- Halo: Truth and Reconciliation: best FPS level I have ever played. Second best is The Silent Cartographer. The campaign in Halo was so incredible for me that it made me a fan of FPS. Before that I had never ever enjoyed one.

- Oddworld: Abe's Odysee: Being able to talk and interact with the other Mudokins was something I had never seen a game do and then the game offered such a different atmosphere.

- Ico: First time I had ever looked at a game as art. Just a beautiful experience. Once I turned the game on I couldn't turn it off until I was done. I was so tired at one point I actually passed out for a bit. :D I woke up and finished it off. I really need to play that again.

- Lakers VS Celtics (Genesis): Seeing Jordan do his signature reverse layup shocked my young brain. I would hit the start button as fast as I could during the layup animation so I could watch it in slow-motion.

- Condemned:This one was amazing. I had just started the game and was walking around in the dark apartment building and I had bumped into a desk and an empty beer bottle fell to the floor and it startled me. I looked down, gave it a shove and watched it roll and bit and the sound was absolutey perfect. Such a cool moment. I carried on in the game and walked down a hallway, entered into a room, looked around and as I was coming out of the room I heard the beer bottle again. I kinda stopped and thought "didn't that bottle stop moving?". I took a second to think about and then wondered if it was possible that something else had knocked the bottle, so I turned to look back in that direction and HOLY CRAP there was an addict running right at me with his arm raised ready to take me out. The way the environment could be interacted with was ridiculous. I was in awe at that moment and enjoyed every moment of that game. That is when I felt like next-gen had arrived. It did for me at least. :)

There's what I have to offer the thread right now. I love gaming. So many good memories. Why would I waste my time just watching TV when I can be a part of something interactive.

Kangu

Banned
Well since all of mine have been taken for the most part I'll offer up an odd one:

Sky Odyssey

There's a stage in which you have to fly up the side of a massive mountain and then down the other side. Slowly crawling up the mountainside, trying to mantain the perfect pitch on your plane so that it wouldn't stall yet would gain enough altitude to clear the peak. Soaring music and a snowstorm battering your plane from all angles only to reach the summit and have the snow suddenly stop and you can see the ocean laid out before you seemingly miles down... God I loved this game.

skyod_2.jpg

It's for the PS2 by the way, although you might think its for the N64 judging by this screen. It actually has phenomenal art direction, which saves it from being unbearable to look at, but its hampered by a god awful engine.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
reallyfun said:
0_o
Why is it that the most rabbid N-haters are girls?? There's one on GameFAQs as well. Her name is TechniMyoko, and she HATES Nintendo with a passion. Her posts and rants on Nintendo are almost barbaric.

?

What Nintendo hater? Those were the first games in those series I hated. For them to have been so memorable it can only mean that I loved the earlier 2 Mario and 2 Zelda games a whole lot!

kenta

Has no PEINS
The one moment that really stands out for me is watching the ending to Shadow of the Colossus. I was literally speechless and couldn't sleep that night because my mind was racing about it. I've never had a book, movie, game, anything affect me like that.

A close second would be seeing Sephiroth's Super Nova for the first time. My jaw was hanging open during the entire sequence and I absolutely could not believe what I was seeing. I actually inched closer and closer to the TV as it progressed until my nose was about 6 inches from the screen watching the sun slowly engulf my party.

Shadow of the Colossus - When I saw what the final boss looked like, I was in awe and wondered how in the blue hell was I going to beat this thing. Also when first fighting the 3rd colossi I was in awe at how huge he was, and when
you climbed up on his sword
it was just so awesome.

Metal Gear Solid 2
- When
Solidus shot Olga in the head
, I didn't think it going to happen and it was pretty much a shock for me.

Ocarina of Time
- When Link first got the Golden Gauntlets and tossed that giant stone, "OMGWTFBBQ" perfectly matches my expression.

The Wind Waker - The entire fight with Ganondorf at the end, from when he first started talking about his past to the climax, one of the most memorable and awesome experiences in gaming ever.

Metroid Prime - The Meta-Ridley fight. This was bulit up from the beginning of the game when Samus chases after him, to when you see him flying above in the Phendrana Drifts, to finally taking him down. An awesome boss battle and one that left me in awe just because I couldn't believe how good he looked and how well the battle played.

Resident Evil 4 - When Verdugo pops down and the fight begins. The guy just looked so bad ass, and when he was impervious to my bullets I knew I was about to get my ass kicked. Then when I pulled out a Rocket Launcher, fired, and he dodged it, my jaw just dropped completely. Then having to run from him to find the next nitrogen tank was an equally thrilling and frightening experience.

Shenmue - The amount of freedom the game gave you. From the game looking absolutely amazing, to being able to go to every house, knock on every door, ask if anybody was home, and basically just feeling like it was a living, breathing world. Being able to pick up all kinds of items, flip them over, turn them around and examine them was equally awe-inspiring, this was a next-gen game. Completely immersive.

Starcraft - First time you pack two reavers into a dropship and dump them in someones base.

Mario64 - I wasn't one of those people who got all googly eyed just from the plaza/garden areas, but once you entered the first world and saw how alive it was was just jaw dropping.

Zelda TooT - The only game I've ever been impressed with by the starting area. The entire Kokiro Village was just amazingly well done.

Crazy Taxi - Playing the game. I still have every damn sound effect every damn song from this game stuck in my head.

Metroid Zero Mission - BEST STEALTH EVER.

World of Warcraft - Booty Bay on a pvp server back when everyone was lvl 30. Hell all of STV. Just so much fun and such a great atmosphere.

Halo - That first level when you crash land on the halo. Getting into individual firefights with little dudes carrying around shields was just so awesome.

Grimlock

The first time I fired up Fatal Frame. I had heard some buzz about the game before it came to the States, and I bought it on a lark (if you can call dropping $50 on a game you weren't sure about a lark) when it came out on PS2. Anyhoo, the moment in that freakin' training level with Mafuyuu when you hear something invisible creak ever-so-slowly up the stairs...., and then you see it just as it attacks. Throughout that fight, I was just screaming, "WTF is THAT??!" I never saw anything like that in a game; at that point in time, who had? I don't remember even RE4 freaking me out like that moment in FF did.

firex

Super Metroid: first landing on Zebes, then getting into Tourain and running into the metroids.
Half Life: We've Got Hostiles (the sheer panic I felt at all the turrets and tripwire alarms, not knowing you could knock over the turrets and destroy them) and Surface Tension, the teleport chamber in Lambda Core
Half Life 2: We Don't Go To Ravenholm... and the dialogue/revelation and then ensuing events when you and Alyx
teleport out of Nova Prospekt, and then when Dog destroys everything at the start of Anticitizen One.
Oblivion: Getting out of the Imperial Sewers and then exploring Vilverin, this dungeon right across the water. I was flat out amazed.
Fallout: From the intro on, the whole game is a great experience.
Fallout 2: Returning to Arroyo after
it's destroyed.
Dragon Warrior 3: Finding
Ortega
at the end of the game.
Phoenix Wright: The last day of the trial in case 4
SMB3: Probably getting to world 4 for the first time, and going through the levels where the enemies are huge.
Legend of Zelda: Starting the second quest just after beating the first quest
Zelda: A Link to the Past: getting the Master Sword
Deus Ex: Entering the Hong Kong market is always an amazing moment to me, as are the major plot points that lead to you getting there.
Mega Man X: The intro stage
Planescape: Torment: far too many moments to count, so practically the entire game.
RE Code: Veronica: when you first run into zombies. It was my first RE game and I was genuinely shocked/scared by it.
Thief: Return to the Cathedral, specifically there's a part with one of the dead knight enemies near the main objective who almost always jumps out and scares the shit out of me doing that level. It always feels really satisfying to kill him... and that whole level puts me on edge majorly.
Thief 2: Listening in on the conversation in one early mission at a Mechanist cathedral - a brilliant use of game mechanics and superb voice acting that got my imagination rolling about exactly what was going on in that room.
System Shock 2: The big shock when you find out that the person leading you on mission objectives all this time is really
Shodan.

AniHawk

1. When Link opened a chest in Ocarina of Time to receive the Kokiri sword. In past Zelda games, it was just the "Da-da-da-DA!" chime. This time it was an entire cinematic making it feel like you were actually finding real treasure.

2. The opening cinematic of Ocarina of Time. I had only owned an N64 for about 6 months (the only 3D system I'd ever played), and I was blow away by the detail of the world, and the entire atmosphere as Navi flew around Kokiri village.

3. The rest of OoT. Those were the two main points, but really OoT was just a jawdropping game for me. I just loved playing it.

4. Running across the landscape in SotC. The sense of exploration was fantastic. Sometimes I'd just run to the ends of the earth and stare out at the ocean. Beautiful game. Simply gorgeous.

Three big moments for me:

1. The first time I played SF:CE on my Genesis. I couldn't afford a SNES, and getting Street Fighter at home (finally) was euphoric.

2. There's a level in StarFox 64, where hundreds of ships swarm the battlefield. Wow.

3. The first time I saw NFL 2K running on a Dreamcast. I was floored.

Hunter D

Ys3(snes)- The final boss battle.
FF3(snes)-when the world ends.
Halo(xbox)- When you wake up during the first level. It just had so much going on.
MGS2(PS2)- Playing as Raiden.
PS4(gen)- When alys kicks the bucket.

System Shock 2- The moment you run into your first enemy, prior to that point you were just wandering around a tight spot trying to get your bearings. Some reason when that first thing attacked, I just got chills.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SaggyMonkey said:
System Shock 2- The moment you run into your first enemy, prior to that point you were just wandering around a tight spot trying to get your bearings. Some reason when that first thing attacked, I just got chills.
SS2 is a great choice, but there were moments in there far beyond that (at least I thought so).

1) When you first reach Deck 4 to meet...well...you know
2) The final section of the game (very final, beyond The Many)

Of course, the whole game is really pretty memorable (which is why I literally DO remember the details of every location). Here's hoping that Bioshock delivers.

Turning the DS on for the first time, with the Metroid Prime demo, and seeing the cutscene. I never thought a portable could handle graphics like that.

The end of Trace Memory where D pushes Bill off the edge, and says "Stop. You're making Franny cry." Badass.:D

Emerging from the sewers in Oblivion for the first time, and seeing the huge world for the first time.

The first time you get in the sports car in Dead Rising, and plow through 100 zombies.

Playing the Wii for the first time. Getting used to Wii Sports.

Seeing Mario Dryhump the air the first time in DDR with Mario:lol

Spending 5 hours with my neck all the way back, just so I could play the Call of Duty 2 demo at WalMart. (Seriously. Lower your TV's!)

Seeing Pyramid Head rip that chicks skin off in the Silent Hill movie.

Seeing the Hotel Dusk trailer. I cried tears of joy.

Eating stale Zelda cereal purchased on eBay:lol

The first time I figured out that you could yell OBJECTION into the mic on Phoenix Wright

I got more, but I don't remember.

Tie Fighter
The final missions, flying with
Darth Vader. I kept a lock-on on Vader, not once did his shields drop below 100%.
Secret Emperor missions. Best game ever.

Resident Evil 2
When Tyrant punches through the wall. Holy shit.

Gran Turismo
The first time I saw the replays...I couldn't believe my eyes. The way the cars moved through corners, the way the nailed the weight distribution...

Grand Theft Auto 3
The first time I press Y and sent some poor SOB flyin out of his Cheetah, claiming it.

0_o

Techni was proven to be a dude a few months back.

iidesuyo

Sega Rally on Saturn, seeing a Celica flying towards me in the intro. It was my first 3d racing game, and wow, it simply blew me away. The graphics, the controls, it all felt so real, plus the great CD soundtrack. This was when I knew that the days of 2d are finally counted.

The problem was that I played Daytona months later, and it didn't impress me at all. Never got into that game :(

[Nintex]

Metroid Prime: Space pirate frigate intro sequence , insane amount of details and a great atmosphere, Space pirates with head fractions and sight problems barely alive etc.
Ridley flys away and the ceiling comes down
, returning there on tallon V actually memorizing the way it was when you entered it. Phendrana drifts The excellent design, destroying some metroid storage tubes and they start fighting the space pirates.

Metroid Prime 2: The intro was just awesome, actually gave up on the game after Torvus bog, untill I saw Sanctuary fortress, absolutely stunning.

Starcraft: Looking at your Protoss cariers blasting away an entire base in a matter of seconds.

Red Alert: First allied mission with tanya blowing up the soviet base

FEAR:
Nuclear explosion at the end, holy shit!

Resident Evil 4: krauser knife battle and many more sequences that completely blow me away.
Its been a long time comrade... Krauser! I died in a crashed 2 years ago, is that what they told you? Your the one who kidnapped asley! You catch on quick as expected, after all you and I both know were we come from! Press R+L!!
yeah i memorized that part:lol .

SOTC: The final collusus the tragic music etc.

Zelda Windwaker:
Going to hyrule for the first time

MGS2:
Fission Mailed! I need scissors 46! , that sequence was weird but awesome
Metroid Zero Mission:
Planet escape mother brain destroyd.. what the this isnt the ending?

Not sure how time freezing it is, but I still always remember the beginning of Full Throttle and interacting with the dumpster. Right on the sign, it said not to kick it. But they let you kick it... and he'd go "take that" "...and that." :lol

Dommel

1. Reaching Elite status in Elite on the ZX Spectrum 'Right on, Commander!'
2. the dark bits in Doom1 on the PC, first time a game creeped me out
3. multiplayer over 14k4 with Doom1, awesome and so much fun
4. Mario64 on the N64, just everything about it. 3D OMG
5. Shenmue intro not being CG but engine, jaw dropping on the DC for that time.

/old fart

bengraven

Great thread! My $.02.

- FFVI: The best experience I had ever had in a videogame from start to finish. The first time I had ever loved a story and characters in a videogame. It ended up changing the way I judged games forever and also ended up getting me into RPGs. And the opera scene...

-Zelda OoT: The wait killed me, but the first time I left Link's treehouse, I fell madly in love.

- Zelda LttP: the rainy intro.

- Super Metroid: The rainy landing and running around. The sound effects and music are still some, if not the, best I've ever heard in a game. I would love this game with rumble as I shoot those pods that quiver and "boom" as they throw out little insects at you. And to be able to feel the first time I charged up a blast, then quickly transformed into a ball so that I let off five little bombs that fell around the level with some of the most realistic physics I had ever seen.

- KOTOR: Realizing that as a Star Wars and RPG fan, that my worries I would hate this game are completely ridiculous as I watched that opening intro: "Wipe this pathetic planet off the face of the galaxy..." and then falling in love with the characters.

- MGS2: going inside and seeing the insane textures on everything...it looked so alive!

- FFVII: The first half of the game. After that character whom everyone knows dies goes out, the game ended up feeling kind of like it switched to "Final Fantasy VII: Part 2" and I lost interest. Still beat the game twice and spent hundreds of hours with it, but the first half was always my favorite, especially the first few hours in Midgar.

- Morrowind: Walking around town and just screwing around with video settings, I end up getting bored and quitting for a few months after I keep dying in the bandit cave near Seyda Neen. But I realize I should just auto-save after every battle when I'm still this weak, so I try again. That's when the game's scope suddenly dawns on me. I become OBSESSED and I think the only games I have ever played so much in my life were SMB1 and 3.

-Oblivion: After loving the size and scope of Morrowind, just having the game in my hands after waiting years for a sequel was a great experience. I was a bit disappointed in the intro dungeon, but I still was giddy after leaving and realizing I had all the world to play with again and this time, the characters were alive.

Also: Shenmue 2, after getting over my anger at the shitty ass controls and realizing that, as a huge fan of old kung fu flicks set in the 80's, I was basically LIVING one. I loved every nook and cranny of this game and explored all the time. If I could live anywhere in a game world, it would be right there in Aberdeen. I would sometimes stop and just smile.

As I get older, scores and achievements mean less and less. I really love the new experiences and environments the last and new generation are providing.

chase

To add to the others I posted a moment and a game I doubt would be mentioned otherwise:

Watching the sun set and rise over Cape Claw in Starfox Adventures. That game was gorgeous.

I also remember Super Castlevania IV for the SNES at the very start of the game when the music starts and you are going in and out of the gates to avoid the pits and bats and thinking that it's the coolest thing ever......

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Another thing that never fails to get a rush out of me is the "Running Man" boss fight in Area 4.

oh god yeah, when the breakdown finishes and the harsher line acid line with heavy drums kicks in for the big "Rock is Sponge" final running man bit through the corridor thing, man... i'm so playing Rez today

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Metroid's brilliance of game design.

The series? Or the first game? The first was repetitive IMO.

AniHawk said:
1. When Link opened a chest in Ocarina of Time to receive the Kokiri sword. In past Zelda games, it was just the "Da-da-da-DA!" chime. This time it was an entire cinematic making it feel like you were actually finding real treasure.

If only you could skip that animation in that and the other 3d Zeldas. Too long.

Taichu

The entire beginning of Super Mario 64 should stick out in every gamer's minds. Outside castle, Bob-omb Battlefield, Jolly Roger Bay, Cool Cool Mountain slide, etc. Who didn't love the flying cap?

FF6's intro. The mech's marching in the snow, with the theme song playing. Just as powerful if not more than the FMV cutscenes from the later games.

Playing Marin's song in front of the Wind Fish's egg in Link's Awakening! My favorite scene from any Zelda game, ever. It's amazing how much that scene conveys from the technical limitations of the original Game Boy.

way more

When the school goes from this

screen16.gif

To this

screen11.gif

That darkness was just so oppresive. When light returns it's such a relief and so comforting after seeing such disturbing things. Then you make it to the next part of town and see things that are even worse. When the darkness returned in the hospital stopped playing.

Weeks later I rented the game and saw the horrible scene with Lisa.
lisa.jpg

How can one game be so disturbing?!

Snaku

Banned
mac said:
When the school goes from this

screen16.gif

To this

screen11.gif

That darkness was just so oppresive. When light returns it's such a relief and so comforting after seeing such disturbing things. Then you make it to the next part of town and see things that are even worse. When the darkness returned in the hospital stopped playing.

Weeks later I rented the game and saw the horrible scene with Lisa.
lisa.jpg

How can one game be so disturbing?!

Yeah, one of the things I've found so fascinating about SH1 was how oppresive and bleak the game felt. None of the sequels have managed to match that atmosphere, though SH3 came close. I think it had to do with how gritty and dirty the visuals were (do in large part to the PS1's limitations), and how unrelenting the game felt.

Pikelet

Gunstar Heroes, final boss in Co-op mode. Your partner dies and you have 30 health. The final kick to the enemy was pure bliss.

MaddenNFL64

I've had 'OMG' moments in many games mentioned, such as seeing Mario 64 back in '96 at a Sears for the first time (played with the face for 5 minutes)., and going dumbstruck at Hyrule Field in OOT. Also...

10 minute village fight for life in RE4 - 'Oh shit, what do I do? Oh, Shotgun!'

First time a Crimson head RAN after me in REmake.

Looking over the waterfall in level 2 of Halo, and looking up to see the Ring world... awesome.

First time I hitched a ride in halo 2.

And, even with all the hate it gets, one of the MOST memorable has to be the race back to Outset Island in Wind Waker. I forgot what the reason was, but it was important to get back... anyway the whole event was in a huge lightning storm, and you were jumping huge waves. Great music was playing, and it was just a perfect experience. The final battle With Gannondorf in WW was great too, but I still remember that Return to Outset sequence well.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Right of the bat:

MGS: Sniper Wolf and Snake, after their final battle. Also, Grey Fox at the ending.

DMC: "You were the one who'd fill my dark soul with light", or something like that. Ending of the first DMC.

Suikoden: Gremio and his fate.

Resident Evil 2: First encounter with licker. That's panic for ya.

Shadow of the Colossus: The horse. You know what I'm talking about.

Silent Hill: The intro and the nurse.

Silent Hill 2: The story, the characters, everything but the actual gaming.

r4z4

Link in OoT turning from kid to adult after inserting/taking out the master sword in the temple of time.

Gee

Some great moments are already mentioned.
I would like to add:

Quake 1&2.
I got my first voodoo card around the time quake 2 was out. I was totally blown away by the gfx. Same goes for Unreal.

Golden Axe:
Beating the crap out of enemies with the dwarf. (mounting the dragon\ the island on the back of a turtle etc)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
prey_6.jpg

The entire intro to Prey from the Blue Oyster Cult playing during the attack and the whole rollercoaster ride through the sphere.

Just wanted to pick something quite modern :p

jepense

There are many, but the first one I remember is from Zelda 1: being stuck on level 5 (I think) and trying to bomb a wall just for the heck of it - and finding out it's actually possible to blow a hole in it.

Top Bottom