• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sentinel - Interactive Music Tower Defense Madness. Pay what you want ($0.25+)

klinkcow

Neo Member
This is one of the first games that had me almost dancing in my seat while playing.

After each wave I would notice that I looked like some guy trying to DJ at some club - staring at his PC screen hunched over bobbing up and down.

Great game, and even better music! Very awesome and unique!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is one of the first games that had me almost dancing in my seat while playing.

After each wave I would notice that I looked like some guy trying to DJ at some club - staring at his PC screen hunched over bobbing up and down.

Great game, and even better music! Very awesome and unique!
Yeah, that's why I repeatedly said that I played this game often just to listen to the music. and it's really a pity because it gets quite hard, but the later levels have some great moments in that regard.

What causes the combo chain to occur? There are many times where I kill the first creep in line and it kills every creep following close behind it and at least in time creeps in a parallel lane running right next to the other lane. I wish I knew so I could use this to my advantage, but like nearly every thing else in the game it is tutorialized.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What causes the combo chain to occur? There are many times where I kill the first creep in line and it kills every creep following close behind it and at least in time creeps in a parallel lane running right next to the other lane. I wish I knew so I could use this to my advantage, but like nearly every thing else in the game it is tutorialized.

There are certain enemies that explode once you defeated them and they will destroy everything within a certain radius. In those missions its important to wait for the right moment to kill the bomb creeps. You are probably talking about the Bridge level. That took me a while to get right too.

There are certain enemies that explode once you defeated them and they will destroy everything within a certain radius. In those missions its important to wait for the right moment to kill the bomb creeps. You are probably talking about the Bridge level. That took me a while to get right too.

Yea that's the level. There again I wish the enemies were explained better.

maty

I might be too late, but I finally got to play a few levels, so thanks Toma again

My experience with TD games is not much besides playing games like OMD1-2, Revenge of the Titans and, the most simple one, Go Home Dinosaurs

So here are my quick impressions. Like many said unlike most TD games, in this one you have to be very active when managing your resources between your defenses. In others once you get your killbox going you are almost set, not here. You also need to collect gems and some squares that work are currency but there is a cooldown time before you can set the same sentinel again (if I'm not wrong). Of course as you progress you can upgrade not only your units and get new ones (which affect a certain type of virus) but you can set units which increase how much power you have to distribute between the others.

I really like the visual design and the music, especially the latter, which made me want to keep going in a similar fashion as Hotline Miami's music did. I also liked how the music volume increases when you assign more power to the towers, nice little touch.

At first it can be difficult since the game doesn't explain itself too well but once you get the hang of it, it is very enjoyable. I played only 1 bonus level in my short time but it kicked my ass, I need to invest more time in it.

Hopefully that's useful for some and I'm clear enough since english is not my first language :)

Toma

I might be too late, but I finally got to play a few levels, so thanks Toma again

Thanks for posting! Really appreciate that a few people got around to trying it eventually and most of those seem to like it quite a bit.

maty

Thanks for posting! Really appreciate that a few people got around to trying it eventually and most of those seem to like it quite a bit.

No problem, I meant to post yesterday but between work and class I wasn´t able to do it.

Looking foward to play some more in the week :)

Toma

Courtesy of One Foul Note:

Just making everyone aware of the current Indie Royale.
http://www.indieroyale.com/

Great bundle which also includes Sentinel.

Toma

Anyone made some progress?

Toma

I have to ask, how long is this game?

Around 20ish levels or so, but I'd estimate it would take you 30+ hours to get through since you will need to replay most level more than once. I definitely enjoyed replaying the levels quite a bit though, especially because of the fantastic soundtrack.

Top Bottom