• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II launches to VERY POSITIVE reviews on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done, Xbox and Ninja Theory! Yet another critical hit for the award winning publisher! :messenger_sunglasses:

Cvk5L4H.png

Mowcno

I think the internet did a good job getting it out there what type of experience this title is. It's certainly not for everyone. This is why players are so low and reviews are high. Because the people that don't want a 5-6 hour cinematic experience for £50 aren't going within a country mile of it, and thus can't leave a negative review.

Only the small niche that are willing to put money down on a title like this are going near it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Less than 1000 reviews. Good score though (88%).
Edit: I am reading it wrong, there's 970 positive reviews, 1028 total.

Last edited:
gtjps2K.jpeg

Not doing the game any favors in, well, actually getting people to play it.

Also just IMO, from what I've seen it's a big downgrade from the 1st in story, combat & puzzles. Almost shockingly so. The visuals are very, very good though. I'd say about tied with HFW: Burning Shores and Cyberpunk (w/ mods) as one of the best-looking games of current-gen available.

Though HB2's doing a lot less than either of those games in multiple aspects.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
gtjps2K.jpeg

Not doing the game any favors in, well, actually getting people to play it.

Also just IMO, from what I've seen it's a big downgrade from the 1st in story, combat & puzzles. Almost shockingly so. The visuals are very, very good though. I'd say about tied with HFW: Burning Shores and Cyberpunk (w/ mods) as one of the best-looking games of current-gen available.

Though HB2's doing a lot less than either of those games in multiple aspects.

From a fidelity, tech and pretty much everything outside of scope of areas hellblade 2 pisses all over horizon.

It's literally a tech demo.

Could be soon!

Fake news

From a fidelity, tech and pretty much everything outside of scope of areas hellblade 2 pisses all over horizon.

It's literally a tech demo.

Not really. I mean I agree the game is practically a tech demo (if I'm being honest it's like a modern-day SEGA CD FMV game and even stuff like Night Trap had more player freedom). Not the other stuff though.

I don't know how you quantify "tech" considering the game's just using UE5 and its features. Something having photogrammetry doesn't by default make it look better IMO. While I would say HB2 edges HFW out in areas of lighting and native resolution, you really need a capable PC to get something approaching the best for this game. Whereas HFW: BS looks (and runs) extremely good on a PS5, let alone a 4090.

Also maybe just personal take, but given HB2 only really has visuals going for it, they just aren't "clearly above" other games to justify all the other areas HB2 falls short in. The game also spends lots of time in dark caves that are visually uninteresting, and it's already a short & small game. On top of even that, since it's so on-rails there's almost a cognitive dissonance in having this beautiful world around you but walking up on tons of invisible walls all over the damn place.

It's not even that easy to directly compare HB2 with HFW because of artistic differences but yeah, outside of lighting-related effects, some hair physics, and output native rendering resolution there isn't anything on a technical level that puts HB2 above HFW:BS. Artistically though some will probably prefer it over Horizon just like others will prefer Horizon over it.

Fake news

Not really. I mean I agree the game is practically a tech demo (if I'm being honest it's like a modern-day SEGA CD FMV game and even stuff like Night Trap had more player freedom). Not the other stuff though.

I don't know how you quantify "tech" considering the game's just using UE5 and its features. Something having photogrammetry doesn't by default make it look better IMO. While I would say HB2 edges HFW out in areas of lighting and native resolution, you really need a capable PC to get something approaching the best for this game. Whereas HFW: BS looks (and runs) extremely good on a PS5, let alone a 4090.

Also maybe just personal take, but given HB2 only really has visuals going for it, they just aren't "clearly above" other games to justify all the other areas HB2 falls short in. The game also spends lots of time in dark caves that are visually uninteresting, and it's already a short & small game. On top of even that, since it's so on-rails there's almost a cognitive dissonance in having this beautiful world around you but walking up on tons of invisible walls all over the damn place.

It's not even that easy to directly compare HB2 with HFW because of artistic differences but yeah, outside of lighting-related effects, some hair physics, and output native rendering resolution there isn't anything on a technical level that puts HB2 above HFW:BS. Artistically though some will probably prefer it over Horizon just like others will prefer Horizon over it.

Yeah the other problem with HB2 is that its visuals are not playable for games that actually have gameplay

Letterboxed, low resolution, blurry, and smeared with post processing Vaseline.

Despite being pretty in certain areas it’s actually nauseating to actually play

Yeah the other problem with HB2 is that its visuals are not playable for games that actually have gameplay

Letterboxed, low resolution, blurry, and smeared with post processing Vaseline.

Despite being pretty in certain areas it’s actually nauseating to actually play
It looks God damn amazing. I'm only playing on Series X, but holy shit I'm impressed. Of course, it's very limited in where you can go and what you can do, but visually, there isn't anything better out there on a console.

It looks God damn amazing. I'm only playing on Series X, but holy shit I'm impressed. Of course, it's very limited in where you can go and what you can do, but visually, there isn't anything better out there on a console.

There’s countless games that look better, because playability, clarity, and scale matters.

HB2 has the best confined micro detail but it all gets smeared on the ridiculously low resolution and post processing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom