• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels that left out popular/iconic characters?

Sesha

streetfighteralpha-white-logo.png

No Guile, Zangief, Dhalsim, E. Honda, Blanka, Vega, Balrog, Cammy, Feilong, Deejay, T. Hawk.

No Guile, E. Honda, Blanka, Vega, Balrog, Cammy, Deejay, T. Hawk.

No Sagat, Blanka, E. Honda, Feilong, Dudley, Makoto, Q, Oro, Sakura, Dan, Evil Ryu, Guy, Cody, Gen, Rose, C. Viper.

MrBadger

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror didn't have King Dedede. We had to wait until the 3DS games to see his mirror world counterpart.

Maybe not as popular or iconic as others, but Rayman Origins didn't have Mr Dark, or any kind of final boss. The game tries to go for a bait-and-switch but the entire storyline got axed so we got left with an awkward dance sequence, followed by a segment from the E3 demo

Call me crazy, but I thought Andromeda crew are great. Not as great as ME2 crew, but definitely better than ME1 crew pre-ME2/3. If there is one thing I really like about Andromeda is how the party members actually interact with each other in the Tempest (either via comm or via email exchange).

Vetra, Jaal, and Drack are great. Liam is garbage tier though.

I didn't hate them, per say. I just didn't like them as much as the other squadmates. Vetra and Drack were both pretty good though.

there was just no point not to have donkey in it. I know it puts me off the 3rd one. Dixie is fine, but why would I want to play as a giant baby over donkey kong?

Honestly, I think the problem with having DK in there is that DKC3 was meant to be Dixie's game, like how DKC2 was Diddy's time to shine, and having the big ape in there really would of just overshadowed her.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No Guile, Zangief, Dhalsim, E. Honda, Blanka, Vega, Balrog, Cammy, Feilong, Deejay, T. Hawk.

I think warriors dreams is the only valid complaint. Alpha as a prequel was not going to include most of those older characters in favor of new ones.

Galang

Banned
Loved the omission of DK in DKC2. Diddy and Dixie are still the best characters in the franchise

Pokemon Black and White notably excluded all previous-gen Pokemon until the postgame.
I loved it, made it feel super fresh.

Yeah this was awesome and not surprisingly it’s also my favourite gen in terms of designs ! I hope they do this again in the future. Maybe even aim for 200 Pokémon this time

Sesha

I think warriors dreams is the only valid complaint. Alpha as a prequel was not going to include most of those older characters in favor of new ones.

Not really. You'd almost expect a prequel to have younger versions of the older characters. Anyway, since SF3 and 5 get shit for not having E. Honda and Feilong and whomever I'm gonna count it. It's only fair.

mindsale

There were no Koopalings in the Mario Bros platformers from SMW until NSMBU.

I know they're extremely dated '80's pop culture references but they add a good amount of appeal as bosses within the games and they've got great color schemes and personalities.

MrBadger

There were no Koopalings in the Mario Bros platformers from SMW until NSMBU.

I know they're extremely dated '80's pop culture references but they add a good amount of appeal as bosses within the games and they've got great color schemes and personalities.

It's amazing how quickly the Koopalings went from highly-requested to overused.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire leaving out a big amount of Gen 1/2 Pokemon. I mean iconic one's like Meowth were left out.

I don't know if Game Freak had announced Fire Red/Leaf Green back then in 2002/2003 when these games came out, so even though these Pokemon were programmed onto the game, it was impossible to get them without cheating for a good amount of time.

Even once FR/LG came out, the only way to get a good chunk of the Gen 2 Pokemon was through Colosseum on Gamecube. I loved Gen 3 but it was such a pain to get your favorite Pokemon.

I quit after Gen 4 and a bit of Gen 5, so hopefully the Game Freak made it easier to get your favorite Pokemon from previous generations at least nowadays.

Best wishes.

Kinyou

Witcher 3

Iorveth and Saskia. Two of the biggest players in Witcher 2. Saskia especially had her story left wide open based on your choices at the end of 2. Never got closure to that outside of comic that only covers one of the possible way's witcher 2 could end for Saskia.
When I watched the Gwent singleplayer trailer I hoped for a second that Saskia is the protagonist. I'm sure playing as Meve will be great as well, but it would have been a fantastic opportunity to properly wrap up the story of Saskia and Iorveth

D.Lo

Anyone saying any of the the Street Fighter Zero games, they are prequels. Of course they don't have all characters, most of the SF2 cast had stories that had them start fighting at the time of that game. Zero 3 ended up basically a SF2 redux by shoving almost all the SSF2 characters back in.

Ken is missing from SFV. No surprise the game bombed, oh and Blanka is missing too.
Lol, but there's a 'latino frat boy' banana salesman wearing his gear I guess

This and the example in the OP (Street Fighter III) are some of the best things Capcom ever did. The problem is that, after five iterations, everyone had grown used to the original 12 World Warriors. So everyone wanted the World Warriors in every Street Fighter game. I personally grew tired of the World Warriors myself so Street Fighter Zero 2 and Street Fighter III (all 3 games) are some of my favorite games in the series.
Yep.

Street Fighter IV was just a Street Fighter II retread in hideous 3D with a few other characters added, which is one of the reasons why it's a disgrace to me, it was creatively bankrupt.

retroman

Street Fighter IV was just a Street Fighter II retread in hideous 3D with a few other characters added, which is one of the reasons why it's a disgrace to me, it was creatively bankrupt.

I agree 100%.

On-topic:

Final Fight 2: No Cody, no Guy.
Final Fight 3: No Cody.

retroman

How about Donkey Kong Jr. and Donkey Kong 3?

Sure, Mario was present in Jr., but he wasn't playable. And if that wasn't enough, he even became the villain!

And Mario was completely replaced by Stanley the Bugman in DK3. That worked out well.

lumzi23

When I watched the Gwent singleplayer trailer I hoped for a second that Saskia is the protagonist. I'm sure playing as Meve will be great as well, but it would have been a fantastic opportunity to properly wrap up the story of Saskia and Iorveth

Though Saskia was dead. Didn't really like Iorveth so I was fine with his absence.

Dark_castle

snes_dragon_ball_z_-_super_butouden_2_1.gif

DBZ Super Butouden 2, probably the only DB game in existence where Goku is not a playable character.

Not without a cheat code anyway.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

KonradLaw

Call me crazy, but I thought Andromeda crew are great. Not as great as ME2 crew, but definitely better than ME1 crew pre-ME2/3. If there is one thing I really like about Andromeda is how the party members actually interact with each other in the Tempest (either via comm or via email exchange).

Vetra, Jaal, and Drack are great. Liam is garbage tier though.

Lack of traditionally hot human women partners probably hurt it the most.

SpiceMastah

Neo Member
Not sure if I'm missing a joke here like the Ken guy earlier in the thread, but Juri is in the game already. She was part of the first season of DLC.

You’re missing the joke entirely. Whoever they put in SFV is only Juri visually. It’s like they had an intern design “Juri” in SFV. All the things that were good about her have been discarded. Her multiple fireball specials that go at different angles? GONE. Her ability to combo anything in feng shui engine? GONE. You can’t combo into or out of overhead. You have to give up momentum and return to neutral to access her specials, which all suck and have horrible hitboxes/framedata and are all UNSAFE. What good normals does she have anymore? J.mp? Nope. J.Hk? Nope. St.Mk is the only decent buttons and it’s still HIGHLY punishable. As far as i’m concerned, that thing in sfv is a placeholder model until the devs figure out what the hell they wanted to do and redesign her in season # whatever.

DrArchon

Dunno about Link's Awakening but in Majora's Mask, she only appears in a flashback at the beginning of the game.

Also, not all Metroids need to have Ridley.

Yeah, but almost all of them do. There's only, what, 2 that don't have him? Metroid 2 and Prime 2 I think?

I'm perfectly fine with him not being in either, because neither of those games really focus on the Space Pirates, but if you're gonna have Space Pirates, you better have Ridley.

Taruranto

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

No Jill, no Chris.

Resident Evil is pretty much all like this, Jill was the series' face during the PS1 era, but she hasn't made an appearance in a mainline game since RE3, 18 years ago. Chris would re-appear in Code Veronica 4 years later and then go missing for 9 years until RE5.

jwhit28

Most Donkey Kong games didn't involve you playing as Donkey Kong. Pointing out DKC2 and DKC3 is weird.
Donkey Kong = Jumpman/Mario
Donkey Kong Jr = Donkey Kong Jr
Donkey Kong 3 = Stanley
Donkey Kong 94 = Mario
Donkey Kong Country = DK and Diddy
Donkey Kong Country 2 = Diddy and Dixie
Donkey Kong Country 3 = Dixie and Kiddie.

Late Flag

Uncharted Lost Legacy. I know it's being marketed as an expansion, but it's more like a sequel than it is DLC, and it suffers badly from no Nate.

Top Bottom