• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequence |OT| Rhythm, Role-Playing, and Ronald Jenkees

Feep

Banned
Wibblewozzer said:
No worries, it was just amusing because she couldn't figure out what she was doing wrong. While the game wasn't quite her cup of tea I think I successfully got at least two coworkers to buy it now. Working on more.

Lastly, in regards to the spoiler stuff discussed a little earlier:
Any chance the item with the non-joke description can be sold? Because I'm worred I de-synthed it. It sounds like it's something that's equipped. Extract was the next closest and I ran the binary through text converters online and none of them seemed to be able to translate it into anything intelligible.
Maybe you shouldn't bother with the online converters. Some things are better done by hand. = D

And thanks for the recommendations! = D

I'm stumped. Either by hand using 7-bit charts or using online converters I keep getting something like /tl, which makes no sense to me, or somehow I'm getting something else on some charts with things like carriage returns and other nonsense. How about a tip? I'm rather curious considering the reply from the other fellow that figured it out already.

Feep

Banned
Wibblewozzer said:
I'm stumped. Either by hand using 7-bit charts or using online converters I keep getting something like /tl, which makes no sense to me, or somehow I'm getting something else on some charts with things like carriage returns and other nonsense. How about a tip? I'm rather curious considering the reply from the other fellow that figured it out already.
ASCII is encoded in eight bit sequences, not seven.

Feep said:
ASCII is encoded in eight bit sequences, not seven.
Well, yeah, but you have 35 bits, so that's not divisible by seven. And I did a bunch of reading and looking at charts and the first 128 are in 7-bit notation. Even looking ASCII up on Wikipedia has charts and writing for 7-bit, so I figured that's what you were doing. I'm so confused!

Feep

Banned
Wibblewozzer said:
Well, yeah, but you have 35 bits, so that's not divisible by seven. And I did a bunch of reading and looking at charts and the first 128 are in 7-bit notation. Even looking ASCII up on Wikipedia has charts and writing for 7-bit, so I figured that's what you were doing. I'm so confused!
I love how we're having this conversation that NO ONE CAN READ. = D

Not sure what's going on here. There are 40 bits, copied and pasted here: 0010111101110100011000110110000101100111 Characters do not typically use values above 128, but as computer data is stored in 8-bit bytes, they generally are represented as either eight digits of binary data or two digits of hexadecimal data.

Anyway, that's all I'm givin'. Good luck! ^^

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Feep said:
I love how we're having this conversation that NO ONE CAN READ. = D

Not sure what's going on here. There are 40 bits, copied and pasted here: 0010111101110100011000110110000101100111 Characters do not typically use values above 128, but as computer data is stored in 8-bit bytes, they generally are represented as either eight digits of binary data or two digits of hexadecimal data.

Anyway, that's all I'm givin'. Good luck! ^^

Care to give me a hint on where to go next? Please? :)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Feep said:
You may to wait...

I don't know, a few days...

There's a patch coming...

pjDQY.png

Feep

Banned
Oh, by the way, I had some feedback that scene auto-play should be defaulted to "on". What do you guys think about that?

I agree with the dialogue auto-play. It would feel more natural and requires less input from the player.

Feep, how do I assign the sixth spell slot on guitar? I double-tap green on the spell I want, but then pressing the whammy just gives the "nope" sound. I can assign this spell (Convert 2) on any other part of the spell circle, but the sixth segment seems to be stuck on blank.

EDIT: I think I've tried every button on the guitar, including the tilt sensor, and nothing works for that sixth spell. Is it some combination of buttons? There don't appear to be instructions on how to do this.

Feep

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
I agree with the dialogue auto-play. It would feel more natural and requires less input from the player.

Feep, how do I assign the sixth spell slot on guitar? I double-tap green on the spell I want, but then pressing the whammy just gives the "nope" sound. I can assign this spell (Convert 2) on any other part of the spell circle, but the sixth segment seems to be stuck on blank.

EDIT: I think I've tried every button on the guitar, including the tilt sensor, and nothing works for that sixth spell. Is it some combination of buttons? There don't appear to be instructions on how to do this.
The sixth spell is meant to be the tilt sensor, but you're right, spell assignment doesn't appear to be working...which is weird, because I know it did a week before submission...

Well, I'll track down the cause tonight. I can submit the patch in two days...can't come soon enough. As a temporary fix, I guess you can log in with a normal controller to assign a sixth spell...ugh, lame.

I also made Autoplay default.

Feep

Banned
Patch 1.1 has been submitted to Peer Review! Here's the changelog:

- Added lefty flip functionality for guitar controllers (first option in Settings when using a guitar)

- Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the player returned to the first floor and fought an enemy before defeating one on the Second Floor.

- Fixed an issue where the game would crash if the player attempted to unequip an armor or accessory and there was nothing previous equipped.

- Fixed an issue where particle effects on the Floor Select screen would not appear when using a Guitar controller.

- Fixed an issue where the voiceover during the end credits would not stop properly if the credits were skipped.

- The Organic Kelp Bangle now only works when equipped.

- The third floor and sixth floor backgrounds have received minor aesthetic improvements.

- Fixed an issue where the player could not assign a sixth spell to the spell ring using a guitar controller.

- Fixed an issue where in rare cases, the difficulty would be permanently set to Easy despite the player's initial choice. (The first two battles after the tutorial are still locked on Easy.)

- Modified the symbol on the spell ring for the sixth guitar spell, to make the tilt motion more obvious.

- The description of the item "Iridium" has been changed.

- Fixed an issue where drain spells (From Dusk Till Dawn, Siren Call, Fade to Black) would not properly display the amount of HP healed if the player was healed to their maximum health.

- Players may now continue from where they left off after defeating the Seventh Guardian, even if they return to the Safe Room.

- Fixed an issue where the Start Menu would break if the "Rotation Inversion" setting was enabled.

- Fixed an issue where the tutorial mode would retain the statistics of the most recent enemy fought from a previously signed-out save file.

- Fixed an issue where a new game would give the first four spells from a previously signed-out save file, instead of Arclight, Barrier, Spheric, and Azure Wind.

- Slightly modified the spell effect for "From Dusk Till Dawn".

- Scene autoplay is now enabled by default.

Hi Feep, I can't dance and am often told that I have "two left feet." Is there a kind of lefty flip mode for the dancemat to compensate for this?

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
Hi Feep, I can't dance and am often told that I have "two left feet." Is there a kind of lefty flip mode for the dancemat to compensate for this?
Hi toythatkills,

Patch 1.2 will contain "left foot mode", where all incoming arrows are left arrows. In addition, this mode will contain Ky and Naia constantly laughing at you during battle, and will occasionally insult your parents.

Feep said:
Hi toythatkills,

Patch 1.2 will contain "left foot mode", where all incoming arrows are left arrows. In addition, this mode will contain Ky and Naia constantly laughing at you during battle, and will occasionally insult your parents.
That actually sounds quite good =P

tearsofash

Finally got 500 points on bing rewards, so i picked up a 400 ms point card to get this.

I've only gotten to floor 2, but I really liked the first boss. The humor is pretty entertaining. Unfortunately, I only have a controller so I can't comment on how well music peripherals work with the game.

Feep

Banned
Judderman said:
How long does peer review usually take? Will we be seeing the patch this weekend? I want to continue the story.
3AQmK.gif
It's really hard to tell with these things. Usually people feel less urgency to review a patch than a new game...it's about 1/5th done at the moment. Though, I might add, I don't think a bug exists that prevents you from moving forward...though I completely understand if you just want to wait for the cleaner, more polisher version. = D

BiasedGamer said:
gafparty1.gif

at the EG and Edge reviews.
Post 217, GAF party and now this. You're a true GAF legend, man.
Congrats.
:lol :lol :lol

Thanks, man.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Feep said:
It's really hard to tell with these things. Usually people feel less urgency to review a patch than a new game...it's about 1/5th done at the moment. Though, I might add, I don't think a bug exists that prevents you from moving forward...though I completely understand if you just want to wait for the cleaner, more polisher version. = D

I need to figure this out! :lol

I completed all the scrolls so that's out of the way, but jeez, Luminary Storm is a hard ass spell to cast. Almost not worth using it because of it's difficulty.

Hey Feep and other Sequence fans, just wanted to let you know that I talk about Sequence for several minutes on the latest episode of the Radio Free Nintendo podcast. (Yes, we often talk about non-Nintendo games that we're playing.)

Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 237

Sequence talk begins at 30:07. I listen to several of the major gaming podcasts and hadn't heard anyone else talking about this awesome game, so I really wanted to help spread the word.

Feep

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
Hey Feep and other Sequence fans, just wanted to let you know that I talk about Sequence for several minutes on the latest episode of the Radio Free Nintendo podcast. (Yes, we often talk about non-Nintendo games that we're playing.)

Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 237

Sequence talk begins at 30:07. I listen to several of the major gaming podcasts and hadn't heard anyone else talking about this awesome game, so I really wanted to help spread the word.
Thanks, man. = D

Also, Patch 1.1 is slow-going, but it'll get there eventually. Blah on this Peer Review nonsense!

Edit: Holy shit Jonnyboy said the nicest things ever. <3

TheExodu5

Banned
Played the game last weekend. I have to say I was quite impressed. The game has a great flow to it. I was also quite impressed and entertained by the writing.

If I had to give any criticism, it's that the reaction when you hit notes properly aren't strong enough. They just kind of...disappear. It makes it a little difficult for doing more complex sections, as you're not given much feedback. This is one thing the free to play GH clones on PC also got wrong. Where GH has a big flame animation whenever you hit a note, the free to play games had nothing. It has a pretty significant impact on the feel of the game.

Roquentin

TheExodu5 said:
If I had to give any criticism, it's that the reaction when you hit notes properly aren't strong enough. They just kind of...disappear. It makes it a little difficult for doing more complex sections, as you're not given much feedback. This is one thing the free to play GH clones on PC also got wrong. Where GH has a big flame animation whenever you hit a note, the free to play games had nothing. It has a pretty significant impact on the feel of the game.
That's a very good point.

Feep

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Played the game last weekend. I have to say I was quite impressed. The game has a great flow to it. I was also quite impressed and entertained by the writing.

Thanks. I tried to add the big vertical "flare" effect (which was added only a week or so before release) to compensate for this, but I guess it wasn't enough. I'll look into some more whiz-bang for a future second patch/PC release.

The new patch is about three peer reviews away from passing. In other words, I have no idea. = (

Feep

Banned
Patch 1.1 just passed peer review! Lefties, get in here!

Should be live within a few hours. Changelog is a few posts up. = D

Feep

Banned
Ugh. Fix a bunch of bugs, and more appear.

And this one sucks. Attempting to alter the difficulty on Floors 1-3 (after the initial setting) locks the game on Easy. This is badddd = (

Can't submit a patch to Peer Review till the 30th, and it'll likely be another week or two after that to pass. God...goddammit.

Nose Master

Downloaded the trial for this and really enjoyed the humor (and the tutorial girl, for other reasons). Battle system seems pretty interesting, and I don't even have a dancemat or guitar. The advice on how to stretch the demo is nice, too. Really shows the care put into the game. They must hard lock indie games at 8 minutes, eh?

Bought it earlier, had no idea Feep was working on this.

Yo Feep, you ever get word back from Steam? Also please consider custom soundtracks even if they are poorly implemented. Would really make grinding more enjoyable for myself, at least.

Feep

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
Yo Feep, you ever get word back from Steam? Also please consider custom soundtracks even if they are poorly implemented. Would really make grinding more enjoyable for myself, at least.
Nothin' just yet. = (

As I mentioned earlier, though, custom soundtracks really can't be implemented. The mana field/learning-spells-from-scrolls notes are all hand-created, which really helps the player feel more attached to the rhythm, but more importantly, difficulty is carefully balanced around BPM, song length, and density of notes. Being able to sub in your own music for any battle would destroy that careful balance. = (

Feep

Banned
= (

In cooler news, Kill Screen reviewed Sequence. It got a 77, which seems rough at first, until I checked their archives and I was only able to find a single score higher than that (79, for Bumpy Cars).

Plus, it's the atomic number of Iridium. = D

Feep

Banned
UPDATE:

Well, no word from Steam...they seem peachy keen on ignoring me.

Regardless, I've decided to go ahead and release a PC version of the game...as XNA is already cross-platform. I just need to go ahead and add some proper keyboard controls to the game, as well as a few other tweaks, and it'll be good to go. I expect it to release in September or October.

If Steam does not get back to me, Sequence will be PAY WHAT YOU WANT. From one cent to a hundred dollars, I don't care. (That's a lie, I actually care.) But it's your choice. We could use the support to fund our second game, but I'm sure there'll be a Kickstarter campaign for that too.

Our next game won't be Sequence 2, mind you. We're prototyping something to do with teleporting.

Mikeside

I've got it on Xbox but I'd much rather be able to play on my PC, so when it's available I'll definitely put £10-15 down for it.

Any chance of something closer to simultaneous release between PC and xbox next time?

Feep

Banned
IamMikeside said:
I've got it on Xbox but I'd much rather be able to play on my PC, so when it's available I'll definitely put £10-15 down for it.

Any chance of something closer to simultaneous release between PC and xbox next time?
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna try for a simultaneous next time. I'll either get something worked out with digital distribution early in developer, or do what I'm doing here.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's a shame Valve isn't answering you. Steam is a great platform to promote indie games... Will buy once it releases for sure!

Mikeside

Feep said:
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna try for a simultaneous next time. I'll either get something worked out with digital distribution early in developer, or do what I'm doing here.

+1 sale on that also, then :)

Feep said:
UPDATE:

Well, no word from Steam...they seem peachy keen on ignoring me.

Regardless, I've decided to go ahead and release a PC version of the game...as XNA is already cross-platform. I just need to go ahead and add some proper keyboard controls to the game, as well as a few other tweaks, and it'll be good to go. I expect it to release in September or October.

If Steam does not get back to me, Sequence will be PAY WHAT YOU WANT. From one cent to a hundred dollars, I don't care. (That's a lie, I actually care.) But it's your choice. We could use the support to fund our second game, but I'm sure there'll be a Kickstarter campaign for that too.

Our next game won't be Sequence 2, mind you. We're prototyping something to do with teleporting.

You could always hit up the other services. Gamersgate, D2D and Impulse would help you push some sales, I'm sure.

Top Bottom