• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serenity DVD cover art...uh oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
B000BW7QWW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Looks like a direct-to-video movie :(

Gribbix

Between this and one of the old posters, it seems like Universal is trying to make Summer Glau (River) look like Sigourney Weaver.

Gribbix said:
Between this and one of the old posters, it seems like Universal is trying to make Summer Glau (River) look like Sigourney Weaver.

Funny you say that as while my GF and I watched the movie she kept saying how much like Sigourney she looked.

Flynn

BlueTsunami said:
Who creates DVD covers? They should die.

I used to work with an ad company that did these covers. The sad thing is that these design houses are capable and creative enough to make good covers. They want to make cool covers. But the marketing departments for want the DVDs to look this way. There's a sort of "common knowledge" in home video that has been developing since the '80s about what moves DVDs off the rental shelves and what doesn't. Turns out that ugly-ass covers work and slickly designed Criterion-style covers don't. Don't bother pointing out that the Criterion movies aren't mainstream fare anyway. They don't care which came first. They just want their big heads, titties, guns and explosions.

Mihail

Banned
Man, I haven't seen it yet. I would like to, but the trailer, this cover, and that chick's look keep me from being compelled to rush out and see it.

FFunit

Banned
gah, its all the mainsteams fault! Im gonna start a crusade to kill off everybody who is in the mainstream, WHO'S WITH ME?

Its not horrible, I see what theyre trying to do.

Space battles with lazers? Check
Angry mob of zombies? Check
People shooting guns and looking all macho? Check
Sex? Check
The word Ultimate? Check

Its like somebody went down a list of things that supposedly sell and made sure it got on the cover.

But yeah, its weird that River takes up so much room

Azih

Yeah I remember reading some comments on the Bioware boards about how horrible the Jade Empire cover art was. And the Bioware guy was saying that the marketing department went down a checklist of things that they wanted on the box art and the artist did the best he/she could.

Put an angry mob in! Mystical Amulets! A screaming kung fu guy! Crazy looking bad guys! And put a scantily clad Asian chick front and center with a sword... a FLAMING sword! =
jadeempire_cover_960.jpg

silenttwn

Mihail said:
Man, I haven't seen it yet. I would like to, but the trailer, this cover, and that chick's look keep me from being compelled to rush out and see it.

Firefly and Serenity are awesome, don't trust the trailers or any advertisements based on them. For some reason, the whole Firefly universe has been a huge enigma to marketing teams everywhere and they never advertise it for what it is.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Who is that on the cover? Don't you dare say River...cause that ain't River. The cover looks so cheap, they just pasted together a bunch of random action shots. Of course I'm still going to buy the dvd on December 20th but DAMN!

Flynn

I really liked Serenity. Only watched one or two episodes of the show, but the movie won me over. It's scrappy and has more soul in it's pinky than all three of the prequels.

I predict that someday Browncoats will homebrew new digital effects to make it looks just as good as Sith.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Disappointing DVD cover. Not the worst ever, but disappointing. Why didn't they just use the movie poster as the cover?:

292470.jpg

This has way more class than that "mainstrean augmentation" of a cover. Boo to Universal.

TomStrong

Was the chick who played River not availible? Why not add a picture of anotherchracter, like Gina Torres' character, rather than putting a 30 year old chick who isn't even in the movie on the poster?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Disappointing DVD cover. Not the worst ever, but disappointing. Why didn't they just use the movie poster as the cover?:

292470.jpg

This has way more class than that "mainstrean augmentation" of a cover. Boo to Universal.

That would have been a great cover. Its not to busy, it focuses on three items and the use of the color Blue is real nice.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
TomStrong said:
Was the chick who played River not availible? Why not add a picture of anotherchracter, like Gina Torres' character, rather than putting a 30 year old chick who isn't even in the movie on the poster?

Huh?

Anyway, the UK poster should be the DVD cover. Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom