• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serial Season 2 - Focused on Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl - CPM Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

EDIT: https://serialpodcast.org

EPISODE 01
DUSTWUN

In the middle of the night, Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl grabs a notebook, snacks, water, some cash. Then he quietly slips off a remote U.S. Army outpost in eastern Afghanistan and into the dark, open desert. About 20 minutes later, it occurs to him: he’s in over his head.

ABOUT SEASON TWO

In May 2014, a U.S. Special Operations team in a Black Hawk helicopter landed in the hills of Afghanistan. Waiting for them were more than a dozen Taliban fighters and a tall American, who looked pale and out of sorts: Bowe Bergdahl. Bergdahl, a U.S. soldier, had been a prisoner of the Taliban for nearly five years, and now he was going home.

President Obama announced Bergdahl’s return in the Rose Garden, with the soldier's parents at his side. Bergdahl's hometown of Hailey, Idaho, planned a big celebration to welcome him back. But then, within days—within hours of his rescue, in fact—public reaction to his return flipped. People started saying Bergdahl shouldn’t be celebrated. Some of the soldiers from his unit called him a deserter, a traitor. They said he had deliberately walked off their small outpost in eastern Afghanistan and into hostile territory.

Hailey canceled its celebration. The army launched an investigation. Finally, in March, the military charged Bergdahl with two crimes, one of which carries the possibility of a life sentence. Through all of this, Bergdahl has been quiet. He hasn’t spoken to the press or done any interviews on TV. He’s been like a ghost at the center of a raucous fight.

Now, in Season Two, we get to hear what he has to say.

For this season, Sarah Koenig teams up with filmmaker Mark Boal and Page 1 to find out why one idiosyncratic guy decided to walk away, into Afghanistan, and how the consequences of that decision have spun out wider and wider. It’s a story that has played out in unexpected ways from the start. And it’s a story that’s still going on.

http://deadline.com/2015/09/bowe-bergdahl-serial-this-american-life-podcast-mark-boal-1201544762/

Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow's collaborator on The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, will contribute too.

Serial, the Peabody Award-winning podcast that spun off from This American Life and became a viral sensation, has found its second season subject. They will focus on Bowe Bergdahl, the Army sergeant captured by the Taliban and held prisoner for five years after inexplicably leaving his base in Afghanistan.

Front and center in all this is Page One’s Mark Boal and Hugo Lindgren, the former New York Times editor who runs his company. They are already working on a movie with Kathryn Bigelow but will also advance the story through This American Life and they will be on-air narrators of a series that will begin later this year and try to get to the bottom of why Bergdahl left the safety of his base, and had to be recovered in a prisoner swap of five Taliban higher-ups held at Guantanamo Bay.

The military has been trying to figure out what to do with Bergdahl, who was charged with desertion. Boal and Lindgren will take part in this podcast even as Boal continues to work on a film that Bigelow dropped out of Triple Frontier to direct as their followup to Zero Dark Thirty, also funded by Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures (which backs Boal’s Page One shingle). There is a rival movie project that Todd Field wants to direct on Bergdahl, based on an investigative article by Michael Hastings that Fox Searchlight bought. Both projects are waiting for the third act of this drama to play out, which is what happens to Bergdahl. Maxim’s website reported that Sarah Koenig will be in the middle of this podcast as she was in the first season that dissected the case in which Adnan Syed was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend in 1999 and is serving a life sentence. Bigelow is sitting out the podcast.

bionic77

The production and writing on Serial is so good that I feel they could do a podcast about paint drying and it would still be the best podcast around.

Futureman

Sounds interesting.

Honestly Serial was great but they could have cut a few episodes. But maybe I feel that way because my GF and I basically binge listened and it felt like it got repetitious.

Squire

Banned
I'll listen to it, but it's a really disappointing direction, honestly. They're turning it into a movie tie-in.

butalala

Sounds interesting.

Honestly Serial was great but they could have cut a few episodes. But maybe I feel that way because my GF and I basically binge listened and it felt like it got repetitious.

I listened to them as they aired and the energy definitely dropped off after 5 or 6 episodes. I agree with your assessment.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
On its face it doesn't seem to be an exceptionally great topic for this show. But we'll see.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought Serial fell apart hard halfway through its debut season when it became abundantly clear it had no direction. It turned into Koenig throwing stuff at the wall and shrugging her shoulders. "Does this mean something? I have no idea since we haven't figured out where we're going with this. Now let's talk about some gossip a listener sent in."

And now, instead of tackling an older story that hasn't really been dug into in a comprehensive way, they're going to investigate a story that dominated the news just two summers ago and is very much still in the midst of major court proceedings.

From the Maxim (!) article that debuted the news:
Maxim also spoke with two former members of Bergdahl's unit in Afghanistan who say they have been interviewed by Serial producers. Both seemed to doubt Koenig's ability to cover this extremely controversial tale without bias.

"Anyone who tries to benefit from Bowe's situation has little interest in the truth," one said, asking to be quoted anonymously. "What happened in 2009 is both troubling and politically incorrect...my concern is that the truth is being diluted by those looking to gain from Bowe's story."

The other, who also requested anonymity, was more blunt: “I get it that Boal wants to make a movie and Serial is trying to make a nifty diorama for hipsters to marvel at, but I think it's the height of crassness for them to do this when it could potentially affect the legal proceedings... I assume it will be a great way to paint us as kooks and sore losers."
Heh.

Maxim also says Boal conducted interviews with Bergdahl which have been provided to Koenig.

Could be good, but please, please, please,
let me get what I want
finish most of the reporting before you air anything so it doesn't fizzle out into a dull nothing like the first season.

JCX

Awesome choice, still has the ambiguity that made season 1 great. Glad it isn't another murder case.

Blader

I thought Serial fell apart hard halfway through its debut season when it became abundantly clear it had no direction. It turned into Koenig throwing stuff at the wall and shrugging her shoulders. "Does this mean something? I have no idea since we haven't figured out where we're going with this. Now let's talk about some gossip a listener sent in."

I don't think it was directionless, the whole point of the show was highlighting how Adnan's case had so many disparate threads that didn't add up to a slamdunk conviction.

Where are they going to go with it? They can't prove or disprove what Adnan did, or whether someone else murdered Hae Min, and their mission statement was always to lay out all the facts of the case as is (and how often did they even indulge in "listener gossip"? the audience impact wasn't even registered until the last couple episodes anyway). I think they opted for that case in the first place because it had no real narrative arc, not that they bungled it because they didn't know what they were doing.

Dalek

Yeah I think this is an unfair criticism leveled at Serial-they didn't set out to "Solve" a mystery, that's just what some listeners wanted. They presented the facts and timeline and interviews, just enough to make you say "this is fucked up."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't think it was directionless, the whole point of the show was highlighting how Adnan's case had so many disparate threads that didn't add up to a slamdunk conviction.

Yeah I think this is an unfair criticism leveled at Serial-they didn't set out to "Solve" a mystery, that's just what some listeners wanted. They presented the facts and timeline and interviews, just enough to make you say "this is fucked up."

I think that became the point in the midst of the show, once Koenig realized they weren't going to magically find evidence pointing to conclusive guilt or innocence. I have absolutely no problem with presenting a ton of facts and concluding there wasn't enough evidence to convict. There's certainly value in that. But Serial explicitly started without knowing whether they would or would not find that evidence, which colors the formatting of the show. You end up with all kinds of tangents that Koenig herself isn't sure will ultimately be credible or relevant. I think it proved massively problematic that they started finalizing and releasing episodes before they'd finished their investigation. They didn't know what they were building towards. When you don't even know what your thesis is, even if that's simply "this is fucked up", your project is going to be a mess.

I generally approve of this discussion of Serial's flaws: http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/more-on-that-later-the-truth-about-serial

Blader

I think that became the point in the midst of the show, once Koenig realized they weren't going to magically find evidence pointing to conclusive guilt or innocence. I have absolutely no problem with presenting a ton of facts and concluding there wasn't enough evidence to convict. There's certainly value in that. But Serial explicitly started without knowing whether they would or would not find that evidence, which colors the formatting of the show. You end up with all kinds of tangents that Koenig herself isn't sure will ultimately be credible or relevant. I think it proved massively problematic that they started finalizing and releasing episodes before they'd finished their investigation. They didn't know what they were building towards. When you don't even know what your thesis is, even if that's simply "this is fucked up", your project is going to be a mess.

I generally approve of this discussion of Serial's flaws: http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/more-on-that-later-the-truth-about-serial

I mean, it's not as if the show was being made completely on-the-fly, and they had to make up episodes as they went along because they were holding out hope that definitive proof one way or the other would present itself. They investigated the story for a year and built a show -- one deliberately without a "conclusion" -- out of that. I don't think their "we don't know if he did it or not, these are just the facts and you decide if the conviction was justified" approach was something they settled on halfway through; they couldn't have known what the story would lead to, one way or the other, at the outset anyway. And I think it's actually important they didn't have every episode in the can before releasing them, because that real-time element allowed them to factor in new information that they hadn't come across during that year or sway people to come forward that hadn't before, which the show would be pretty remiss not to include.

They were never going to finish their investigation because, such as the case was, they flat out didn't know whether Adnan killed Hae Min or not (and if not him, then who). If they had to work on the story until reaching one of those answers, there'd be no show in the first place.

With a "this conviction was fucked up" thesis, there's really nothing to build to anyway; the goal isn't to say yes he did it or no he didn't, it's just to prove that the case didn't merit a beyond-a-reasonable-doubt conviction, which I think the show proved pretty damn well. And frankly, my favorite episode of the season was Mr. S, which had almost nothing to do with the case as a whole, but that's exactly what I liked about it -- it's exactly the kind of tantalizing, maybe-this-is-relevant lead that any detective, reporter, etc. would follow until hitting yet another dead end.

OctoMan

Banned
I think it's a boring topic. I'd rather they focus on a case lost by time that didn't get a lot of attention. This one got plenty of it. I guess there must be a story to be told though.

dork

Banned
Out of the loop here... What is Serial anyway USGAF?

An overated podcast that repeated itself over and over without providing anything new. You could read the Wikipedia of the crime and know everything you need to know.

I enjoyed the first 3 or 4 episodes and then realized it was just awful.
Everyone got up in arms thinking the kid was innocent when I believe clearly he was guilty, did he get a fair trial? No. But they also never explained why Jay wasn't in jail for helping.

JCX

I think it's a boring topic. I'd rather they focus on a case lost by time that didn't get a lot of attention. This one got plenty of it. I guess there must be a story to be told though.

I'm glad that it's a (relatively) boring topic, and based on Koenig's interviews, it was probably on purpose. She didn't want it to just be a murder mystery hour (there are plenty of TV shows and now podcasts who do cold/unsolved case stuff.

Fury451

Banned
An overated podcast that repeated itself over and over without providing anything new. You could read the Wikipedia of the crime and know everything you need to know.

I enjoyed the first 3 or 4 episodes and then realized it was just awful.
Everyone got up in arms thinking the kid was innocent when I believe clearly he was guilty, did he get a fair trial? No. But they also never explained why Jay wasn't in jail for helping.

I don't know if I would call it "awful", but I kind of agree. After the first 6, it was hard to keep interest for me personally, but I agree with the bolded very much.

I just know that Jay is involved somehow.

Anyways, Koenig needs to be more mindful of the number of episodes. I liked the first season, but they could have chopped off a good three episodes. There was a lot of pointless speculation toward the end of it.

Blader

I think it was pretty clear by the podcast. He's not in jail because his cooperation with the case.

Yeah, wasn't this pointed out repeatedly? And that even it had an influence on some of the jurors, who assumed that Jay was going to jail.

Tobor

I loved Serial, and had no problems with the length of number of episodes.

When will Season 2 begin releasing?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just got a friend into season 1, I guess that did the trick!

Will be listening later today, looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom