• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series x 16gig memory

GymWolf

Gold Member
So you honestly think consoles will best your current setup? Please don't give in to the hype. From those specs alone, you'll have much better performance than next gen consoles. Check out detailed analysis when consoles release, and you won't be let down at all, with your hardware.
how can i possibly have better performance with a slower ssd, slower ram, slower gpu and a 6 core cpu (even if at higher frequency)??

Dory16

Banned
Imaginary mac? What you talking about?

fy9SX5x.png

128GB is actually the maximum RAM quantity for my machine, but then it gets reduced down to running in dual channel. 16GB X 6 is actually the fastest and most optimal as it runs in triple-channel.

And here's my current RAM usage:

NWbCOVx.png

Obviously a massive amount is cached memory, but all I'm doing it browsing with 7 tabs and I've just booted up.
Dude something's really wrong because I'm browsing with 7 tabs on my 8GB Lenovo yoga right now and don't even need to check the memory profile. Why do you think that your setup has anything to do with what's required to build a powerful console? Do you play games at ultra settings on that Mac? Does it automatically upscale games from 19999 to 4k with HDR? if yes then it's only starting to get close to what a console that will cost a sixth of its price is doing months before it's even launched. So how did you manage to make your laptop the story here? I'm stunned.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Last edited:

sdrawkcab

Banned
Some of you trolls make me sick! You want everything, and nothing! The same people complaining about the amount of RAM are also some of the same people wanting a console that costs $399 (I literally remember some of you guys' usernames).

This console is going to be pretty expensive, as is. But, now you want more RAM? 24 Gbs of RAM? Are you serious? Can you afford this beast with all its current specs, but with 24 Gbs of GDDR6 RAM? You guys are behaving like it's 16 Gbs of DDR3 RAM. Please shut up!

Last edited:

tkscz

Architecture is the name of the game here. GDDR6 >>>> GDDR5. With a much high bandwidth, faster transfer rates and using less voltage and having a smaller die size, a single chip of GDDR6 is so much better than that of GDDR5.

Basically, there is no need to have 24GBs of GDDR6 right now when upgrading from GDDR5. It's just more expensive. Maybe a Pro upgrade later would have 24GBs, but a base version have 16GBs of GDDR6 is fine.

Dory16

Banned
Why are you doubting his ram size? There are computers with 2 terabytes of ram. 96gbs isn't even 1/20th of that. Many gamers, myself included, have 32gb of ram. Overkill, but not insane. For people who use AutoCAD and other modeling software can definitely use plenty of ram, or even people who do editing and virtualization.
I was just highlighting that his insistence on having as much RAM as possible is so pointless, it may as well be imaginary. I don't care how much RAM he has. I do care how well his Mac does RTX though (if at all) because the multiple time cheaper SX will.

CJY

Banned
Dude something's really wrong because I'm browsing with 7 tabs on my 8GB Lenovo yoga right now and don't even need to check the memory profile. Why do you think that your setup has anything to do with what's required to build a powerful console? Do you play games at ultra settings on that Mac? Does it automatically upscale games from 19999 to 4k with HDR? if yes then it's only starting to get close to what a console that will cost a sixth of its price is doing months before it's even launched. So how did you manage to make your laptop the story here? I'm stunned.

There is so much wrong with this comment I don't even know where to start. You're the one who called my machine "an imaginary Mac". Did you even see the comment I orginally responded to? That comment was literally talking about RAM in Windows, and I literally mentioned my RAM in passing.

Do you actually think I have dual Xeon CPUs and 96GBs of RAM in a laptop? Have you ever had an IQ test? Don't. You'll probably be disappointed. That is if it even registers with you.

how can i possibly have better performance with a slower ssd, slower ram, slower gpu and a 6 core cpu (even if at higher frequency)??
Slower gpu? Have you seen benchmarks to prove that? Slower ram? You have dedicated ram dude, PLUS vram for gpu. You can add an a
Ssd for pretty cheap, but you are definitely overblowing this situation. Calm down, look at things from an objective standpoint. You have good hardware and have nothing to worry about.

CJY

Banned
I was just highlighting that his insistence on having as much RAM as possible is so pointless, it may as well be imaginary. I don't care how much RAM he has. I do care how well his Mac does RTX though (if at all) because the multiple time cheaper SX will.
What kind of fucking bullshit is this now? "it may as well be imaginary"? Something is either real or imaginary. Somehow my RAM isn't real because it can't do RTX? What the fuck is "doing RTX"? If you're referring to Nvidia RTX-series cards, Macs these days don't work with Nvidia cards.

Dory16 Dory16

tEx0VYE.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think he was trying to flex or boast about his computer. He does other things than gaming, which can require SO MUCH MORE RAM to do, like editing, 3d modeling, etc. Macs aren't even meant for gaming, so I highly doubt it was a comparison in the first place, but just to state a fact about ram.

I'm not sure why it's automatically a dick measuring contest if someone has a high end pc. Because in reality, high end pc's from a few years ago, already beat xsex in performance.

Dory16

Banned
There is so much wrong with this comment I don't even know where to start. You're the one who called my machine "an imaginary Mac". Did you even see the comment I orginally responded to? That comment was literally talking about RAM in Windows, and I literally mentioned my RAM in passing.

Do you actually think I have dual Xeon CPUs and 96GBs of RAM in a laptop? Have you ever had an IQ test? Don't. You'll probably be disappointed. That is if it even registers with you.
I have enough IQ to not stick 100GB of RAM in a laptop, thank you very much. You suggested an IQ test (it's always morons who rant about IQ), I'll suggest a personal finance course so you can make better investment decisions and also also with computer architecture 101 on Udemy. The first 30 mns are free and I promise that's all you need.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Slower gpu? Have you seen benchmarks to prove that? Slower ram? You have dedicated ram dude, PLUS vram for gpu. You can add an a
Ssd for pretty cheap, but you are definitely overblowing this situation. Calm down, look at things from an objective standpoint. You have good hardware and have nothing to worry about.
i mean, leaving the console comparison aside, my objective for next gen is 4k60frames with ultra\high details with every game (rtx can go fuck himself for what i care) and my system is not nearly there, so a change of cpu\gpu is basically forced, and with a new cpu comes a new mobo (thanks intel), and we will see if my ddr4 ram will be enough to keep up with all the trickery the devs are gonna do with the ddr6 ram on consoles...

fuck me a 2080ti is not capable of 4k60 with ultra details in most of the heavy current games (let alone with ultra rtx), imagine with next gen games.

i'm saving for that sweet 3080\intel series 11 like a motherfucker.

For not even having a clue about how ram works, there sure are a lot of idiots in here thinking they do.
Let's just all take a moment to refer to Dory16 Dory16 for anything ram related. This clown thinks computers shouldn't have more than 16gb of ram. Even if you aren't a gamer, fuck your AutoCAD and everything you do as a professional. Throw it all away, as it's not needed. Look at his response below. Fucking Golden to say the least.
I have enough IQ to not stick 100GB of RAM in a laptop, thank you very much. You suggested an IQ test (it's always morons who rant about IQ), I'll suggest a personal finance course so you can make better investment decisions and also also with computer architecture 101 on Udemy. The first 30 mns are free and I promise that's all you need.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: CJY

oldergamer

MS doesnt need to add more the 16gb if this tech works as stated

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

Dory16

Banned
So Microsoft releases a large batch of some of the most innovative features ever heard in gaming and the GAF community creates 4 pages of complaining about the 16GB of RAM since it's too early to complain about the price or anything else. Who could have predicted that?

Dory16

Banned
I have enough IQ to not stick 100GB of RAM in a laptop, thank you very much. You suggested an IQ test (it's always morons who rant about IQ), I'll suggest a personal finance course so you can make better investment decisions and also computer architecture 101 on Udemy. The first 30 mns are free and I promise that's all you need.

i mean, leaving the console comparison aside, my objective for next gen is 4k60frames with ultra\high details with every game (rtx can go fuck himself for what i care) and my system is not nearly there, so a change of cpu\gpu is basically forced, and with a new cpu comes a new mobo (thanks intel), and we will see if my ddr4 ram will be enough to keep up with all the trickery the devs are gonna do with the ddr6 ram on consoles...

fuck me a 2080ti is not capable of 4k60 with ultra details in most of the heavy current games (let alone with ultra rtx), imagine with next gen games.

i'm saving for that sweet 3080\intel series 11 like a motherfucker.
Do what you want man, but bookmark my quotes, and tell me I'm wrong when consoles release. I mean why would you need a cpu upgrade if you are playing at 1440p or above? The gpu is doing all the grunt work at that point. You could even have a somewhat shit cpu, and it wouldn't make a noticable difference, at all, at high resolutions. Your ram is more than adequate, as pc's don't use a unified memory pool. Consoles share memory for system and gpu. That requires more bandwidth, and can be a bottleneck.

Leyasu

Banned
Ram is everything graphics so 16gb is proper shit, infact complete nonesense this is why they kept talking about buzz words like vrs, cause you need tricks to worl with low memory. 16gb isnt next generation its simply a xbox one upgrade.

Considering high memory prices recession and corona virus i cant complain much but thats it 16gb is the nail in the coffin. Xbox fucked up again.
How much vram is on 2080ti?

CJY

Banned

Can you show me any laptop that can have 96GB of RAM? I don't know of any, except for maybe ThinkPad P series.

I just simply don't know why you keep referring to laptops. I've shown you my Machine's specs and it clearly shows that it's a Mac Pro.

I'm only bringing up IQ because you're saying some of the stupidest shit I've read on this forum. I happen to have enough money to spend on RAM. And I use most of it when editing, running VMs, and 3D modelling.

I'm sorry you're so upset you've not got enough money to spend USD$160 on 96GB of RAM. Sorry you're poor, it'll all better soon. Just hang in there.

Dory16

Banned
Let's just all take a moment to refer to Dory16 Dory16 for anything ram related. This clown thinks computers wouldn't have more than 16gb of ram. Even if you aren't a gamer, fuck your AutoCAD and everything you do as a professional. Throw it all away, as it's not needed. Look at his response below. Fucking Golden to say the least.
Can we bring the subject back to the information that Microsoft released? My opinion on the importance of RAM is just as irrelevant as yours. The SX designers however have achievements to substantiate their RAM size decisions and it's all over the DF video.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do what you want man, but bookmark my quotes, and tell me I'm wrong when consoles release. I mean why would you need a cpu upgrade if you are playing at 1440p or above? The gpu is doing all the grunt work at that point. You could even have a somewhat shit cpu, and it wouldn't make a noticable difference, at all, at high resolutions. Your ram is more than adequate, as pc's don't use a unified memory pool. Consoles share memory for system and gpu. That requires more bandwidth, and can be a bottleneck.
if devs start to make games around an 8core cpu, my 6 core gpu isn't gonna cut anymore for optimal performance.
you know better than me than multy devs make games around consoles.
this gen the 8 core inside the console wasn't used much because it was an ultra shitty 8 core, but who knows what devs are gonna do with a proper 8core modern cpu.
you can't deny that this is a concrete chance.

i know that at 4k the cpu doesnt count for much, but if they start to use 8 core proficently maybe tis will change.

Last edited:
if devs start to make games around an 8core cpu, my 6 core gpu isn't gonna cut anymore for optimal performance.
you know better than me than multy devs make games around consoles.
this gen the 8 core inside the console wasn't used much because it was an ultra shitty 8 core, but who knows what devs are gonna do with a proper 8core modern cpu.
you can't deny that this is a concrete chance.
Just like you said, look at last gen for instance. Everything that glimmers, is not gold. 4k 60fps was the target. How many games played at 900p, under 30 fps? Too many to count. This gen, console hardware looks better, but still not holding a candle to pc's.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Can you show me any laptop that can have 96GB of RAM? I don't know of any, except for maybe ThinkPad P series.

I just simply don't know why you keep referring to laptops. I've shown you my Machine's specs and it clearly shows that it's a Mac Pro.

I'm only bringing up IQ because you're saying some of the stupidest shit I've read on this forum. I happen to have enough money to spend on RAM. And I use most of it when editing, running VMs, and 3D modelling.

I'm sorry you're so upset you've not got enough money to spend USD$160 on 96GB of RAM. Sorry you're poor, it'll all better soon. Just hang in there.
Bro I'm too old to boast about my machine (or my IQ or money) on a forum. Today is the day when one of the biggest console manufacturers has released long awaited information on its latest product. Your contribution to the commentary has been juvenile and I have every right to point it out. How much RAM you have in your Mac (imaginary or real) does nothing to measure the pertinence of the design decisions described in the DF article. You've set the bar so low I couldn't help but try to appeal to your... sanity? I'll know better next time.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just like you said, look sat last gen for instance. Everything that glimmers, is not gold. 4k 60fps was the target. How many games played at 900p, under 30 fps? Too many to count. This gen, console hardware looks better, but still not holding a candle to pc's.
oh cmon nobody in their right minds was thinking about ps4 or xone capable of doing 4k60 it was just marketing for casuals.
and for this gen i realistically see most games at 4k30 frames except on some games like forza, gt, halo, gears and some few more.
i know that pc is still the best place, i'm not even considering buying a sex console (but i admire that fridge of power very much)

GymWolf

Gold Member
MS doesnt need to add more the 16gb if this tech works as stated

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.
they already had me at "fine granularity" :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

CJY

Banned
Bro I'm too old to boast about my machine (or my IQ or money) on a forum. Today is the day when one of the biggest console manufacturer has released long awaited information on its latest product. Your contribution to the commentary has been juvenile and I have every right to point it out. How much RAM you have in your Mac (imaginary or real) does nothing to measure the pertinence of the design decisions described in the DF article. You've set the bar so low I couldn't help but try to appeal to your... sanity? I'll know better next time.
You're the one who drew attention when I'm absolutely, 100% entitled to say. Sorry you've been called out Dory... and got totally owned. How convenient that you want to try to get back on topic when you got totally owned. Take the L and think twice before speaking next time. And enjoy those fishsticks, cos you've got one in your mouth right now, and one in each hand, just gobbling up those fishsticks and loving it.

Anyway, back on topic: 16GB of RAM in the next Xbox? It's shit, but it might be enough anyway. Fuck if I know.

oh cmon nobody in their right minds was thinking about ps4 or xone capable of doing 4k60 it was just marketing for casuals.
and for this gen i realistically see most games at 4k30 frames except on some games like forza, gt, halo, gears and some few more.
i know that pc is still the best place, i'm not even considering buying a sex console (but i admire that fridge of power very much)
Marketing for casuals... And this time, it's a different song? Or same strategy? Trust me, before you throw the towel in, wait till console release, watch DF comparisons between pc and xsex, and it'll be a different tune than what you think.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Marketing for casuals... And this time, it's a different song? Or same strategy? Trust me, before you throw the towel in, wait till console release, watch DF comparisons between pc and xsex, and it'll be a different tune than what you think.
oh but i'm not in a rush, i always wait some month after the release of the new nvidia series to make the prices adjust to a normal level.
i think i'm gonna be okay for the first month of next gen when most games are gonna be developed with cross-gen in mind, even games like halo 6 are gonna be created around a fucking xone so not problem there either.

also i kinda wanna see the next gen step for cpus from intel and amd before choosing what to buy.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
You're the one who drew attention when I'm absolutely, 100% entitled to say. Sorry you've been called out Dory... and got totally owned. How convenient that you want to try to get back on topic when you got totally owned. Take the L and think twice before speaking next time. And enjoy those fishsticks, cos you've got one in your mouth right now, and one in each hand, just gobbling up those fishsticks and loving it.

Anyway, back on topic: 16GB of RAM in the next Xbox? It's shit, but it might be enough anyway. Fuck if I know.
Yes you owned me. You have a Mac Pro with 96 GB of RAM and not a MacBook with 96GB of RAM. Now I see that you had a point about why the SX is underpowered. It all comes down to what you have and what your usage profile shows on your Mac. Silly me. I'll learn to listen. What was I thinking? With all the maturity that you exhude, I should have known much better.

I'm guessing OP didn't read this.

"We observed that typically, only a small percentage of memory loaded by games was ever accessed," reveals Goossen. "This wastage comes principally from the textures. Textures are universally the biggest consumers of memory for games. However, only a fraction of the memory for each texture is typically accessed by the GPU during the scene. For example, the largest mip of a 4K texture is eight megabytes and often more, but typically only a small portion of that mip is visible in the scene and so only that small portion really needs to be read by the GPU."

Microsoft has partnered with Seagate for its proprietary external 1TB SSD expansion. It's very short, quite weighty for its dimensions and actually presents rather like a memory card.
As textures have ballooned in size to match 4K displays, efficiency in memory utilisation has got progressively worse - something Microsoft was able to confirm by building in special monitoring hardware into Xbox One X's Scorpio Engine SoC. "From this, we found a game typically accessed at best only one-half to one-third of their allocated pages over long windows of time," says Goossen. "So if a game never had to load pages that are ultimately never actually used, that means a 2-3x multiplier on the effective amount of physical memory, and a 2-3x multiplier on our effective IO performance."

A technique called Sampler Feedback Streaming - SFS - was built to more closely marry the memory demands of the GPU, intelligently loading in the texture mip data that's actually required with the guarantee of a lower quality mip available if the higher quality version isn't readily available, stopping GPU stalls and frame-time spikes. Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later. Microsoft considers these aspects of the Velocity Architecture to be a genuine game-changer, adding a multiplier to how physical memory is utilised.

Translation: the available ram is more than enough. In fact, what was there before wasn't even being utilized quite as effectively as it could have been. Microsoft created a solution for that. Also, RAM is one of the smartest areas to save costs for a console expected to cost way less than a high end PC. Microsoft built themselves a beast.

CJY

Banned
Yes you owned me. You have a Mac Pro with 96 GB of RAM and not a MacBook with 96GB of RAM. Now I see that you had a point about why the SX is underpowered. It all comes down to what you have and what your usage profile shows on your Mac. Silly me. I'll learn to listen. What was I thinking? With all the maturity that you exhude, I should have known much better.

You're still going? OK, let's keep going. In what way was I trying to use my Mac's 96GB of RAM as way to make a point about the SX being under-powered? At what point did I make this comparison?

Just like you said, look at last gen for instance. Everything that glimmers, is not gold. 4k 60fps was the target. How many games played at 900p, under 30 fps? Too many to count. This gen, console hardware looks better, but still not holding a candle to pc's.

4K @60fps was the target for what? Current gen?

DESTROYA

Love how much nonsense the OP brings to the table.
Sure lets have so much RAM in this that nobody can afford it, these consoles can‘t outprice themselves from the fan base.
Doesn’t the Lockhart console factor into it too?

Last edited:

Flintty

How many people in the thread are A) not pure PC gamers and/or B) Had no intention of buying an XSX even before the spec reveal? Be honest.
Some of you trolls make me sick! You want everything, and nothing! The same people complaining about the amount of RAM are also some of the same people wanting a console that costs $399 (I literally remember some of you guys' usernames).

This console is going to be pretty expensive, as is. But, now you want more RAM? 24 Gbs of RAM? Are you serious? Can you afford this beast with all its current specs, but with 24 Gbs of GDDR6 RAM? You guys are behaving like it's 16 Gbs of DDR3 RAM. Please shut up!
Yeah I’m not being funny, but I think Santa done a shit in OPs stocking when he was a wee lad.

How many people in the thread are A) not pure PC gamers and/or B) Had no intention of buying an XSX even before the spec reveal? Be honest.

Yeah I’m not being funny, but I think Santa done a shit in OPs stocking when he was a wee lad.
Pc gamer here, no intention in buying a console to play the same games, at lower resolution/lower framerate, so consoles aren't even in my sights.

Dory16

Banned
Pc gamer here, no intention in buying a console to play the same games, at lower resolution/lower framerate, so consoles aren't even in my sights.
Just here to troll then? :)
No tech is perfect and PCs aren't either. I applaud technology when it's innovative no matter the platform. Multiple Quick resume on PC would be nice, if I was a PC gamer I would hope to get it one day.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not here to troll...i just love talking about this stuff, it's pretty clear from my posts that i love the sex hardware even if i don't need one.

Mattyp

Gold Member
In this thread someone who has no basic understanding of tech and how the nvme drive works in relation to the ram. Why is this shit locked? Deadset. The spelling alone is enough to give anyone a migraine.

93xfan

Banned
Did you watch the digital foundry video? Its really fast RAM and the SSD can be used as RAM for slower stuff like textures

furthermore there are tricks they’re using with the texturesthat will allow them to use much smaller file sizes, and machine learning algorithms to produce the same results.

Thats why devs can use the SSD to offload stuff that usually goes to the RAM and use the actual RAM for assets that need fast access only. Watch todays digital foundry video theyre explaining it there
Yeah no shit, threads like this are just the epitome of not paying attention.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
macOS works weird with RAM upon boot of the system, I already have full 8GB even when nothing is running and somewhat it swaps these "full RAM" with programs. I only have it for XCODE so don't judge. Even then it cost like 2500USD (with 21% VAT). With that I could have a great workstation PC, but well no XCODE no buy. But even like that is fast and I don't have much complains about it.

I am kind of puzzle, why they called XCODE, why not iCODE. XCODE sounds like something from Microsoft.

Top Bottom