• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X overheating & solution.

AGRacing

Recently Microsoft Flight Simulator has been shutting down my Series X console. Upon restart it would say that it shut down due to overheating. It sits upright on an open table and is clean.

It is a launch console. Microsoft offered to look at it for 250 dollars. I called them from Canada this morning. The call was a terrible example of customer service. Dead air... bad attitude. I declined their offer.

I decided to disassemble , clean and re-apply thermal paste the APU. I was successful in solving the issue. I stress tested it with a 1 hour+ autopilot flight in flight sim that it previously had no chance of finishing.

The thermal paste Microsoft used was bone dry.
I replaced it with MX-5.

UWcY1MJ.jpg

I'd suggest anyone with game pass access to flight simulator and a launch window console to give it a try... especially if your warranty is still in effect. If this is the kind of thing you don't want to do you might catch a potential issue before it crops up on a game you want to play that stresses the system.

If you've taken machines apart before this wasn't difficult... but be extremely careful with ribbon cables as they each have special latches to properly remove them. I used Tronicsfix's youtube disassembly video to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Good luck!

TheUsual

Gold Member
Nice job! Is the series x pretty simple to take apart? Use a specific video or guide?

Don't have a launch Series X but definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

Had to take my PS4 pro apart and reapply thermal paste and pads and it became dead silent

AGRacing

Nice job! Is the series x pretty simple to take apart? Use a specific video or guide?

Don't have a launch Series X but definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

Had to take my PS4 pro apart and reapply thermal paste and pads and it became dead silent

There are many but I liked this one...

Be cautious. The reason I specifically recommend checking flight simulator is because it was the only title for me that triggered shutdown... however once I opened the thing it was obvious there was something wrong with the paste (or it was just a terrible paste to begin with).

In that video you'll see how different his thermal paste looked compared to my picture...

I'd recommend like a 1hr autopilot run for anyone with access to it... because I think it's a good stress test of the system. Games will certainly stress the hardware more and more deeper into the generation.

Top Bottom