• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Serious* neoGAF, how hard is Demon's Soul compared to other souls titles?

Vognerful

Ok serious question here and I am asking for help to decide. I really suck at souls like games. Dark souls 3 was the only one I finished and I gave up on finishing Sekiro and Dark souls 2. I just don't want to end up spending a game that I am not good at or not even have fun playing it.

So, to which Dark souls game is it comparable?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I played it a bit back in the day on a friend’s system, played Dark Souls a bit year or two ago, and actually found Dark much more frustrating as if it was designed around challenge as a gimmick.

Demon’s was always incredibly hard, but in a fair and really satisfying way.

But I have some pretty casual play times on both, so I’ll see what the people who have put tons of hours into them think.

Fbh

It has been a long time so don't quote me on this, but I don't remember it being that hard.

It was my first souls game but the only boss I remember struggling with for quite some time was the Flamelurker

Demon's is less forgiving than Dark Souls, I find. Harder to save your progress, for one, which is a challenge if you're like me and have limited gaming time.

Stuart360

Some poeple say its the hardest, but i actually found the orig Dark Souls harder, and Bloodborne due to the lack of shield.
The problem for me was i always found Demon's to feel dated compared to the Dark games, and i dont mean graphics (which were vry dated), it just doesnt feel as refined. It will be interesting to see how the remake plays.

GrayFoxPL

I'm "replaying" it now(lost my saves) and I must say parrying with the shield is probably the easiest in all souls series.

Game as a whole is hard but I found it little more "fair".

Fair as in: "I knew I was gonna die here."

instead of: "Why did I just die now?"

Dr_Salt

Real question is if the remake will keep the original difficulty. That trailer didn't give me any hope.

Grinchy

Banned
If you beat Dark Souls 3 without summoning 3 people to come in and beat every boss for you, I think you'll be ok. Sekiro is a whole different beast. And Dark Souls 2 is just not that good, so maybe you didn't feel compelled to continue.

Demon's Souls might just be good enough to push you through wanting to get better and not worrying so much about each death.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It has been a long time so don't quote me on this, but I don't remember it being that hard.

It was my first souls game but the only boss I remember struggling with for quite some time was the Flamelurker

The Flamelurker is without a doubt the hardest boss. When I finally beat that mother fucker, it felt like a religious awakening mixed with a deep orgasm.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nowadays I have no desire to play something which is not Bloodborne type of souls game. So if the gameplay is akin to Demon's Souls I have no desire to play it. I finished Dark Souls 3 over the course of one year, it's really awesome game, one of my favorite, however after finishing that, I have no desire to go into "mainline Souls"-type of game.

cormack12

Gold Member
The quality of life improvements and fast loading will temper the frustration a lot more too. Also I wonder if clipping through shit and jank has been cleaned up....

The Souls games being hard is a marketing myth. Once you understand the systems and how to approach combat it's really not that difficult. Yes, you'll die a few times but that's not a big deal I would think.

Bloodborne and especially Sekiro are a lot harder due to the gameplay mechanics in those games imo. In the sense of I could see how the dodge and parry mechanics in BB could cause issues for some and the deflection mechanic in Sekiro etc.

MrS

Banned
The Souls games being hard is a marketing myth. Once you understand the systems and how to approach combat it's really not that difficult. Yes, you'll die a few times but that's not a big deal I would think.

Bloodborne and especially Sekiro are a lot harder due to the gameplay mechanics in those games imo. In the sense of I could see how the dodge and parry mechanics in BB could cause issues for some and the deflection mechanic in Sekiro etc.
Totally agree with this. You get out what you put in. If you take your time, learn, be observant, don't get frustrated, you'll be fine. There's nothing unfair about From games.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned

Disagreed.
Sekiro is the fairest with the least bullshit of all plus infinite stamina and basically no penalty for dying.
All other From games have a lot of bullshit.

eot

Banned
Bloodborne is super forgiving though, you can just spam the dodge in most situations because of how many iframes it has and how little stamina it consumes.

The game is WAY easier on PS5. How are you supposed to inspire fear in players with 0.8s load screens...not even enough time process the burn, and pull it together.

"FUC...here we go!!". Not even enough time to give a single fuck.

The PS5 might be TOO FAST :cry:

Dr_Salt

Oh that was just a run through of the level really, they probably had the enemies on one hit deaths and the player on full stats.

Which was an odd thing to do. Are they marketing this to the casuals? Are they going to find the hard way when they won't be able to beat the first boss?

GrayFoxPL

Real question is if the remake will keep the original difficulty. That trailer didn't give me any hope.

It depends. Original Souls was made for pretty hardcore From Software fans who loved stuff like Shadow Tower.
I bet they thought the difficulty would put off most gamers but when they saw that gamers are masochistic freaks that loved being punished, From Soft embraced that fact and didn't pull any punches in their games.

But what if BluePoint doesn't see it that way. They could make it easier to appeal to less hardcore crowd.

I'm pretty sure though they will keep the game punishing hard or at least give the option to choose at the start: "Casual" or "Hard".

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So hard. It’ll break your thumbs. If you play it, your dog dies. When you put the disc in, it cuts your hands to shit because it’s sharp. Your house is burgled while you play, and you mother disowns you.

Don’t play this game. Seven days later you get murdered by a girl in a well.

YukiOnna

Flame Lurker made me cry. I had to use that dumb glitch where you get him stuck in the bones to beat that stupid DOOM reject.

Otherwise, it wasn't too bad. Boss designs suck in some places since it's old, but I found Dark Souls harder simply because of Blighttown.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
After Bloodborne, it is a slow, dated, ugly, frustrating mess. Hard for no reason, long chunks with no saving etc.

Good only to check what was the Souls formula back then. Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne refined it so much, there's no going back.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
At first some bosses appear hard, but they can be exploited a lot more than later entries into the Souls series. The Tower Knight for instance was a phenomenal encounter and then you realize the tactics of the fight. What to do, where to run, and etc. Demon’s Souls felt like it had hard enemies in the field than it did bosses. You were easier to get ganged up on IMO. It was one of the best journeys I’ve had in gaming last gen.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Demon's Souls is tough in all the right ways. Only place I really recall being tough was the storm arch stone area. The middle is a real kick in the pants. It ends easy though.

It is the easiest game to power level, lots of easy farming places, several hard bosses can be cheesed too.

I'd say it is one of the easier games in the series myself. I also consider it nearly perfect so I'm a bit biased

Codes 208

Mechanically it was clunkier and very unforgiving for certain grinds. But most of the bosses are either on par or lower than the rest due to the older easily exploitable potato AI

even firelurker was a hit/miss. If you were a magic user he was a pansie. If you weren’t then he’d easily be in the top ten hardest bosses of all time for the soulsborne series

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My first Souls, took a long time to click. Just the first “stage” probably took me more than 3 hours, and without the Internet I‘d never even begin to understand how stats and everything works. I brute forced everything until I hit a wall and had to quit for a few weeks. Then came back, struggled some more, and then all at once, it clicked. But it was very, very hard to make sense of what the game is about. And it’s not easy even then. Some bosses are brutal.

But hey, if you finished DS3 - a game that I found inexplicably hard for some reason - you can beat Demon’s.

It depends. Original Souls was made for pretty hardcore From Software fans who loved stuff like Shadow Tower.
I bet they thought the difficulty would put off most gamers but when they saw that gamers are masochistic freaks that loved being punished, From Soft embraced that fact and didn't pull any punches in their games.

But what if BluePoint doesn't see it that way. They could make it easier to appeal to less hardcore crowd.

I'm pretty sure though they will keep the game punishing hard or at least give the option to choose at the start: "Casual" or "Hard".

That was a trailer designed to show off the Gameplay and nothing else. I guarantee you they messed with the characters level and weapons so everything was one hit kill just for the trailer.

When your trying to advertise your game the last thing you want to do is keep dying from the first knight you fight.

I wouldn't be concerned about the OG difficulty being changed. Sony knows the difficulty part is basically the brand, and Bluepoint wouldn't want to risk ruining their reputation by fundementaly changing how the IP plays and feels.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have an easy mode. This is basically Sony's big launch game and they'll want to make it more accessible.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't have an easy mode. This is basically Sony's big launch game and they'll want to make it more accessible.

I guarantee you there will be riots.

That decision would single handedly ruin Bluepoints reputation and Sonys reputation for delivering excellent first party exclusives.

Sony knows Demon Souls remaster is for the hardcore audience, and brand loyalty is not a thing to be fucked with.

That trust erosion would have a serious impact on future sales.

It'll never happen. That's like remaking Dark Souls and Bloodbourne and inserting an easy mode.

Last edited:

Rodolink

only hard thing is the end boss because of a shitty ability he has.
everything else you can cheese out , also play as mage build and have fun, easy peasy.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It's the easiest in the series. Lots of people just remember it being hard because it was new type of game to them.

Exoil

Demons Soul was the best game in the Souls series in my opinion. It was hard, not just to be hard, but a welcome return to the challenges of old. Sure, the Dark Souls series fine tuned and made some compelling changes but that's natural for sequels.

Try it, I promise you the feeling of being able to finally get through the portion of the game that you're having a hard time with will be enough for you to want to continue playing the game.

On a side note, getting the Platinum for this game is the only Platinum trophy that I can genuinely say that I'm proud to have gotten. Ok, that and the Super Stardust one.

Bartski

Gold Member
It's the easiest in the series. Lots of people just remember it being hard because it was new type of game to them.
Totally agree as far as combat goes it's the easiest one of all. What makes it hard is some obscure, punishing systems, like you can fuck up your best weapon by "upgrading" it with a stone that makes it scale to different stats than yours without a warning... I think these systems will be still in place but will be much better tutorialized and explained, rather than learning from your mistakes.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Demon souls is too easy for me.
I am just so skilled that i can’t got back to it.

i prefer games that really test my hardcore gaming skills.

ethomaz

Banned
Bloodborne is easier than Demon’s mostly because the dodge and parry making it so easy.

Parry + Vicerals breaks the Bloodborne gameplay loop even in the hardest bosses... there is nothing like that in Demon’s Souls.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

That was a trailer designed to show off the Gameplay and nothing else. I guarantee you they messed with the characters level and weapons so everything was one hit kill just for the trailer.

When your trying to advertise your game the last thing you want to do is keep dying from the first knight you fight.

I wouldn't be concerned about the OG difficulty being changed. Sony knows the difficulty part is basically the brand, and Bluepoint wouldn't want to risk ruining their reputation by fundementaly changing how the IP plays and feels.

Or you could get someone who actually knows how to play the game to play it. Also its not like if it was a live session.

Top Bottom