• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

Dahaka

Dear Gaffers, Gaffinhos and Gaffenbergs,

my PS4 Pro got so loud to annoying levels, making me stay away from the exclusives I wanted to play so dearly, Amazon gave me my money back and now here I am pondering about getting a new revision (mine was the day 0 PS4 Pro) but
I fear getting back into those annoying loudness levels and as far as I read the CUH 7116B introduces heavy coil whine. Any experiences?

My Xbox One X is silent, it's a dream but it can't play PS4 games. So what do I do now? Avoid the current revision and hold out for a few months (I won't be able to do that once God of War hits) or play the lottery?
Do we know about any upcoming bundles?

Mista

Banned
Got mine a week ago. Started NBA2K18 and the console becomes so loud in loading and cut-scenes!

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Any chance for Sony to release a Pro Slim / Pro v2 this year ?

They might do a v2 or v3 or v4, but I doubt it will be a redesign, ps4 is selling gangbusters and this pro noise issue is not loud enough for sony to care.

My pro is loud but how are u guys able to hear it over the sound of the game, especially when wearing headphones?

My X is quieter but you can still hear the fan when playing a demanding 4k game.
People who say there X is silent when playing X1 4k games are lying, its silent when watching netflix or playing 360/unpatched games but when playing a 4k or patched game the fans rev up, for the design of the X, its impossible for it to be silent when being pushed by a modern 4k game.
And if anyone is claiming there X is silent when playing a 4k modern game, prove it by taken a video with the mic close to the console, Im 100% sure it wont be silent!

People are so full of shit.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

They might do a v2 or v3 or v4, but I doubt it will be a redesign, ps4 is selling gangbusters and this pro noise issue is not loud enough for sony to care.

My pro is loud but how are u guys able to hear it over the sound of the game, especially when wearing headphones?

My X is quieter but you can still hear the fan when playing a demanding 4k game.
People who say there X is silent when playing X1 4k games are lying, its silent when watching netflix or playing 360/unpatched games but when playing a 4k or patched game the fans rev up, for the design of the X, its impossible for it to be silent when being pushed by a modern 4k game.
And if anyone is claiming there X is silent when playing a 4k modern game, prove it by taken a video with the mic close to the console, Im 100% sure it wont be silent!

People are so full of shit.

I had a Pro, and COD WW2 had the fans going full blast, loud as hell. Sold it for an X and I literally have yet to hear the thing from my seating distance playing WW2.

Last edited:

Filben

Interestingly the PS4 Pro is louder when you running a game and switch to the PS4 UI's main menu/overlay, like it's not really idling the game but running/calculating both.

PS4 Pro gets also really loud (fan) when I'm in Horizon Zero Dawn's photo mode. I think my PC is on the same noise level with my GPU at 100% which never happens (capped at 60°C and 65% fan speed).

Interestingly the PS4 Pro is louder when you running a game and switch to the PS4 UI's main menu/overlay, like it's not really idling the game but running/calculating both.

PS4 Pro gets also really loud (fan) when I'm in Horizon Zero Dawn's photo mode. I think my PC is on the same noise level with my GPU at 100% which never happens (capped at 60°C and 65% fan speed).

My second gen PS4 Amatuer does this too. I always presumed that a core or thread on the Jaguar CPU is always reserved for the OS and when you switch to it with a game maxing out the other threads or cores in the background, it runs the CPU at 100% and engages the fan. The Xbox One seems to handle this scenario differently as it doesn't change the audio profile of the cooling.

I'm really hoping that a revised version of the Pro is released at some stage this year. I've been holding off on my playthrough of Nier Automata until I upgrade and I'm not 100% sold on the current iteration of the Pro; I'm too accustomed to how quiet my second gen PS4 and Xbox One X are.

Last edited:

SkyfireRise

Neo Member
Mine gets loud when playin certain games. It got pretty loud last night while I was playing Diablo 3 and the Witcher. It’s best to have it in an open area not enclosed :)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I had a Pro, and COD WW2 had the fast going full blast, loud as hell. Sold it for an X and I literally have yet to hear the thing from my seating distance playing WW2.

Yes the X is quieter but you can still hear the fan when playing a 4k game and you have the game volume off.

I just have an issue with peoples use of the word "silent" the X is not silent.

ive measured my 1X and it about 45-50db from a few inches away when playing a 4k game

The same as this guys

My original xbox one fat was silent all the time, the 1x has a more traditional console fan noise.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Yeah when I play NBA2K18 and load into my apartment in my career it sounds like a jet taking off. But when I am actually playing, it is quiet. I don't get it.
Because when you enter your apartment the game decides to uncap the framerates up to 100. But yeah, during game time its quite.

BANGS

Banned
How close do you guys sit next to your consoles that you can even hear them? I can hear my PS4pro when I load a disk for about 2 seconds, after that it's either completely quiet or I just don't notice it...

Shifty

How close do you guys sit next to your consoles that you can even hear them? I can hear my PS4pro when I load a disk for about 2 seconds, after that it's either completely quiet or I just don't notice it...
My not-pro PS4 is on the other side of the room and sounds like it's about to take off whenever Horizon switches in the high-quality assets for close-up dialogue and cutscenes.

Last edited:

ecosse_011172

You may not notice it but it is not silent.
I went through many PS4s, sending them back to Sony before I finally got an MGSV LE which is reasonably quiet. Of course you can hear it from 3.5m away but it's not distracting.

I'd love to get a PS4 Pro and benefit from better performance in games like TLG, Uncharted:LL and Horizon:Zero Dawn but I can't be arsed going through that shit again.
I wish they'd just make noise levels a priority and put a large, slow spinning fan in there, make the case bigger if you have to.
I sold my Xbox One but it's a far better designed console.

DESTROYA

So is the newer model less loud?
According to the excellent post by Chronos24 the nidec fans are much better anyway to now what models these come in or is it still luck of the draw?

Any chance for Sony to release a Pro Slim / Pro v2 this year ?

There must be a good chance - they must have had so many people returning the pro to try to get a quiet one - it can’t be good for business.

If they can’t make it run quietly then they should downgrade the specs a bit - nobody wants to play on a noisy console.

I'll repeat my solution for anyone who may have missed it the first time. It will only work if your TV is against an interior wall, but if you can do it, it's something to think about:

Cut a small hole in the wall behind your TV. Cut a matching hole on the other side of the wall in the adjoining room. You can get kits to do this sort've thing from Best Buy or Lowes, Home Depot, etc. that have nice looking grommets, some even come with a manual hole saw so no drill required. The kits may be marketed to hide the wires for wall mounting an LCD but they work just fine for this. Then run the HDMI cable through the hole into the other room. Place the PS4 Pro on the other side of the wall and now it can be as loud as hell and it won't bother you while watching and playing. I put my PC on the other side of the wall too. This works well for me.

(Safety Note: Do not run power cables through the wall. Obtain power on the same side as the device. Also, technically you should use HDMI cables specified for in-wall use. )

Last edited:

Omegashin

Neo Member
So far I had 6 pros

1) day One pro: horrible fan noise, like a whistling, a vacuum cleaner.
2) 7016A (6 because I am in eu) better fan noise, but coil whine
3) Another 7016A , less coil whine but a strange “woooo” noise from the fan when it slow down
4) 7016B. Zero coil whine but wooo fan noise
5) 7116B. Little coil whine and little fan vacuum cleaner noise. Both little but both noticeable.
6) 7116B best fan so far. It would be perfect Pro, but... coil whine.
7) 7016B the perfect one. quiet fans and rly rly rly rly low whine, but almost impossible to notice, even at 30 cm from ur head.

It took me one year. worth it

MilkyJoe

Yes the X is quieter but you can still hear the fan when playing a 4k game and you have the game volume off.

ive measured my 1X and it about 45-50db from a few inches away when playing a 4k game

The same as this guys

My original xbox one fat was silent all the time, the 1x has a more traditional console fan noise.

When i turn mine on and I'm sitting at the menu screen it is silent. When I am playing a 4K game with the volume at normal , or even low levels, it is inaudible. Unless you are some weirdo that plays games without sound, then by all accounts it is silent.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Seriously, if the sound bothers you guys that much, just pop the top cover and let more air in. It doesn't void your warrenty and its perfectly safe. Pop it back on when youre done. Its easy and require just your hand, no screwdrivers no nothing.

So far I had 6 pros

1) day One pro: horrible fan noise, like a whistling, a vacuum cleaner.
2) 7016A (6 because I am in eu) better fan noise, but coil whine
3) Another 7016A , less coil whine but a strange “woooo” noise from the fan when it slow down
4) 7016B. Zero coil whine but wooo fan noise
5) 7116B. Little coil whine and little fan vacuum cleaner noise. Both little but both noticeable.
6) 7116B best fan so far. It would be perfect Pro, but... coil whine.
7) 7016B the perfect one. quiet fans and rly rly rly rly low whine, but almost impossible to notice, even at 30 cm from ur head.

It took me one year. worth it

What were you doing? Returning the others to store to keep on trying?

As someone who didn't own a console for years, I decided to buy a PS4 Pro a couple of months ago, because I wanted to do some cozy couch gaming. So I got home, unpacked the whole thing in gleeful anticipation, popped Horizon Zero Dawn into the slot and started playing. After a short while, I noticed a high pitched noise coming from the console. The system-fan started whirring like crazy, and worst of all, constantly changed its pitch. It was so irritating that I decided to go back to the store in order to get another unit. I went back home, hooked everything up, started playing and lo and behold, I noticed the same high pitched noise.

I then removed the cover, in order to see if it would make any difference, but nope. So after two weeks of the console gathering dust in the living room, I couldn't give a shit anymore and decided to give the console away. It was an exercise in futility but at least I made someone else happy, which is good enough I guess.

All the bells and whistles don't mean much if the system is so unbearably noisy that it makes it impossible to enjoy a game. Seriously, just look at that pathetic thing:

uTtZLB9.jpg

That's one of the saddest cooling solutions I have ever seen, especially considering the price. I'm sorry but no, just no.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

The same as this guys

I haven't watched this video but iv'e noticed he's got a external drive connected on top of the X and most of the time i can hear my external hard drive way above my X

So I had this experience when I first got the pro and it was really pissing me off, but what I noticed was that a shit ton of heat was being exhausted and not getting out of my tv unit well enough. I took the ps4 out of it's spot and did this weird 'place the font on the ground and it's arse side facing the up' thing (leaning against the tv cabinet).

No noise at all. Even in intense scenes, nothing.

So, did I stumble on the fix, or just really lucky?
and stupid :)

If you're wondering why I didn't just place it on the floor like a normal person it's because the cables weren't long enough which led to me the weird leaning thing :)

Hairsplash

go topless. (well, the ps4pro) removing the top does not expose anything, just the fan hole. i was amazed when i saw the clean lines of the ps4pro insides without the top cover.... the ps4 is not so clean without the top...

my ps4pro is topless, with a screen covering the fan inlet... not noisy at all.

Texas Pride

Banned
My PS4 Pro wouldn't turn on with the controller so I went to turn it on manually and it shot sparks out of the power cable port and zapped my hand. I've been referred to a Sony rep in corporate and this happened Monday February 26th and I've yet to have the guy get in touch with me about my issue. It was repaired by Sony 3 months prior for a faulty power supply. I've been a PlayStation customer for 16 years and I've never had such a issue with one of their consoles before and tbh I feel like given the seriousness of what happened Sony isn't doing right by me here.

Malcolm9

Some people's set ups horrify me with how claustrophobic everything is, give your Pro room to breathe.

Last edited:
Got the pro on launch. Still have no idea about this whole thread. It's never been that loud for me that i felt the need to complain. Literally just sounds like a computer would.

Tomeru

go topless. (well, the ps4pro) removing the top does not expose anything, just the fan hole. i was amazed when i saw the clean lines of the ps4pro insides without the top cover.... the ps4 is not so clean without the top...

my ps4pro is topless, with a screen covering the fan inlet... not noisy at all.

#toplessps4p member here. Its a dream.

Mine recently started having bad hard drive whine, especially when playing Fortnite. The system is only a few months old, I really hope it doesn't crap out on me.

The same as this guys

X for me may as well be off when im playing (i wear headphones). My PS4 on the other hand I can hear constantly regardless so to me yeah the X (and One/OneS) are dead silent. X is for sure louder than the S tho.

glados87

Neo Member
Exactly my pro while running 4k games is so much loud that once my brother alerted me (as I was having headphone on ear).He said ps4 is about to explode.I wish I had rmaed it I. Warranty :-(

lifa-cobex

Not that this is any real help but apparently it's something to do with getting different fans in the pro's...

I don't own a pro but just from looking up the issues, some of them are really bad...

Only a bit of googling but it seems relatively easy to open the Pro and replace the fans.
Seems like you can buy the fans from Ebay but i'm not seeing which fans are Nidec.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

both of my PS4 pro consoles are on firmware 4.55 ( for homebrew purpose ) but i played Horizon ( without any update from PSN so not sure if pro support is in the game it self or i am just playing a full HD game only upscaled to 4k. but i did play the PS4 anyway both consoles are not very loud. not vacum cleaning loud anyway. the xbox one X is quiter than the pro for sure. but again. both are not very distracting..

my friend Ps4 pro though... wow man.when i say a vacuum cleaner.. its exactly that.

Top Bottom