• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Kermy

Just saw a piece on the local news that if you want to buy a single family home in San Jose it's recommended you have an annual salary of $179k lol

Hm, the recommended salary seems sort of low for the area. Was thinking it would be $200k+.

broz0rs

Soooo CEOs etc are only allowed to but them all up? Geeze...

What I'm seeing are couples making $90k+ each and they've convinced some of their parents to retire and live with them in order to take care of their kids without paying for childcare. Regardless, it's pretty rough to purchase now, even condos.

True! Knowing your profession, where else are you going to go? Actually, you always struck me as a Houston guy. And it's not the Trump thing, I swear.

Uhhh.. so before i lived here i was in Houston for close to 30 years

I
history's first recorded example of someone suggesting life can be enjoyed in the south bay

Smells normal, don't have to explain to my kids why there's needles and rubber tubes on the ground, (more) affordable housing, doesn't take an act of god to find parking spaces, traffic is normal, very few brogrammers and hipster wannabes, and you can actually see trees instead of just cement everywhere you look

What's not to like

ehhhhhh, oakland is like SF pre-the shift, but that shift is happening. faster than i expected.

i know bruh, i was kinda begin sarcastic ...i live in Oakland and yes i've been noticing the shift to even deep east oakland, saw a caucasian male jogging down E 14th and 90th ave one day with his french bully ....hopefully more people and business will come and rejuvenate E14th/International blvd to it glory years ...

Trevelyan

Banned
What I'm seeing are couples making $90k+ each and they've convinced some of their parents to retire and live with them in order to take care of their kids without paying for childcare. Regardless, it's pretty rough to purchase now, even condos.

This is what 2 of my friends have had to do. Except they moved in with their parents after having the child. Wife and I are lucky enough that we work for the same peninsula company and they let us move to the Sierra foothills and work from home so we can take care of our 11 month old.

M52B28

Banned
Man is the sky loud tonight.

Thunder and lightning all the way from the city down to the South Bay. Crazy.

Hey guys what's going on with this weather? In SF right now waiting to drive back home in the peninsula but I'm afraid :x
I'm loving this weather. I hope we get more.

Don't be afraid of driving in this weather. The only way you can crash is if you're not being properly responsible.

AcridMeat

Banned
Commute back home was awesome tonight, I was basically chasing the storm on the west coast. Saw maybe 30 lightning strikes straight ahead.

Went out for a walk tonight while the storm passed and it was a sight to see. Last storm I remember like this was decades ago. Perfect weather conditions for hot rain and lightning/thunder It made me think I was not in california for a little bit today.

I really want some damn Homeroom right now. That place needs a secondary location run out of my apartment. If you haven't gone and you like mac'n'cheese you should check it out next time you're in Oakland.

Went out for a walk tonight while the storm passed and it was a sight to see. Last storm I remember like this was decades ago. Perfect weather conditions for hot rain and lightning/thunder It made me think I was not in california for a little bit today.

I really want some damn Homeroom right now. That place needs a secondary location run out of my apartment. If you haven't gone and you like mac'n'cheese you should check it out next time you're in Oakland.
Homeroom!!!! That's my shit!!!

Driving around 280 with the lightning strikes was pretty fucking awesome

Miletius

Yeah, I was sitting in class when it started pouring. =\ Basically missed all of it, and I had a parka handy too in my bag just in case.

After the summer we've had I wouldn't mind if it rained every day for the rest of the year. Bring on the nice Bay Area winter, with lots of rain and perfect temperatures.

v1lla21

Y'all see that yellow or orange lightning? I had never seen that before and it was cool. First thing that came to my mind was the upside down. Lol.

AcridMeat

Banned

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Record heat, thunderstorms, union square shootings. Sounds like I missed out on all the fun while I was away. Just a normal quiet overcast today.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Record heat, thunderstorms, union square shootings. Sounds like I missed out on all the fun while I was away. Just a normal quiet overcast today.

Likewise, I was on a trip and missed all of it. Got lucky when I left the area at the start of the heat wave.

Miletius

Funny enough I stopped saying it after growing up here, said "hecka" then "hella"

But went to college in LA and got it beat out of me

Hella is pretty uniquely Bay Area in my experience. I've never heard it anywhere else and I've lived in a lot of different places (US and abroad). I kind of like it, it feels like assimilation when I use it and I tend to adopt mannerisms and figures of speech from the place I'm living in currently.

v1lla21

Funny going to la or any other place and people know where you're from because of one word. Reminds me of when I went to universal studios earlier this year and a guy said yay area to me after he heard me say hella. Shit was funny as hell.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hella is pretty uniquely Bay Area in my experience. I've never heard it anywhere else and I've lived in a lot of different places (US and abroad). I kind of like it, it feels like assimilation when I use it and I tend to adopt mannerisms and figures of speech from the place I'm living in currently.
When I worked at Disney World I heard girls from Kansas and Wisconsin say hella in a normal conversation. They had like no ties to the bay too. I had to do a double take when I heard it.

Top Bottom