• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

broz0rs

...and Cupertino voted "no" on revitalizing Valco :/ I don't get the other negatives in the area, seems fine whenever I'm in the area, but the abandoned mall stinks.

I don't see how any large retail center can survive in that area, even with public support. I originally thought perhaps Apple employees can grab their lunch or dinner there, but then I realized they'll get top notch meals inside their campus.

I've been noticing around the vacinity that any dead retail space gets converted to apartments, condos, and town homes. I'm assuming that will be the fate of the land that Valco sits on?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how any large retail center can survive in that area, even with public support. I originally thought perhaps Apple employees can grab their lunch or dinner there, but then I realized they'll get top notch meals inside their campus.

I've been noticing around the vacinity that any dead retail space gets converted to apartments, condos, and town homes. I'm assuming that will be the fate of the land that Valco sits on?

There's still surviving businesses in there. Theater is the big one, bowling, gym, etc. I'd be ok if they left those but gut out the rest of the mall. They don't need that empty overhang going across the street. The parking lot is like a maze and is pretty run-down with peeling rusty pipes amd things. It's creepy walking through the empty mall to get to the movie though... Pay for demolition if no one wants to fix it up. It's now an eye-sore that might attract other issues (copper hunters etc.)

broz0rs

There's still surviving businesses in there. Theater is the big one, bowling, gym, etc. I'd be ok if they left those but gut out the rest of the mall. They don't need that empty overhang going across the street. The parking lot is like a maze and is pretty run-down with peeling rusty pipes amd things. It's creepy walking through the empty mall to get to the movie though... Pay for demolition if no one wants to fix it up. It's now an eye-sore that might attract other issues (copper hunters etc.)

ahh, I see. I actually moved to this area less than a year ago and I've yet to check out Valco because it just looks really dead lol

The retail center north of it that has Ranch 99 is also a decaying mess, but Stevens Creek and Wolfe is pretty nice.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
ahh, I see. I actually moved to this area less than a year ago and I've yet to check out Valco because it just looks really dead lol

The retail center north of it that has Ranch 99 is also a decaying mess, but Stevens Creek and Wolfe is pretty nice.

I've only been to Valco a few times over the years I've been here, and I've seen it shrink so much. I've only been there for the theater or bowling. I went to the theater a couple months ago and I felt like I was a part of the Abandoned Youtube series. You always see guards around inside to deter problems.

Down the street is sure nice though! Meet Fresh is packkkkkkked every weekend! And even after a year, Kula still has a 2 hour wait. But please fix that eyesore mall :/

Somehow managed to find a DMV appointment one day in advance at the closest location. Woohoo, passed my driving test and I have my class C license.

Which is good, because I start work soon and it would be hard if I had to drag an 18+ year old around with me everywhere lol.

Maybe the DMV's not so bad after all.

Tom Nook

I hope that AMC theater in Valco stays open. Few places I can watch niche movies like Anime Films near me, Your Name recently.

does anyone else in this thread even live anywhere other than SJ? feel like that's all anyone talks about

or "I'm moving to SJ help me find a place"

It's a refreshing departure from the the real world, where if you don't live in "the city" you're looked at as if you're from a lower caste.

I finally got an offer accepted for a condo in Santa Clara. It's over priced as hell but will be convenient for me in commuting to SF...moreso than south San Jose where I live now.

It's not too far from the new shopping complex (Whole Foods et al) on Great America, the new office buildings, and Nvidias new HQ.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I might be exaggerating (but only slightly). In general though, I find people from the city to be very snobbish when it comes to people who don't live in the city.

I'm going to assume that it's more a money thing, rather than where you live. Tons of people commute to the city from the suburbs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I might be exaggerating (but only slightly). In general though, I find people from the city to be very snobbish when it comes to people who don't live in the city.

I've been in the Bay Area for over 35 years and I don't think I've really seen this from long time SF residents. Maybe these are more recent transplants you're encountering?

M52B28

Banned
I've been in the Bay Area for over 35 years and I don't think I've really seen this from long time SF residents. Maybe these are more recent transplants you're encountering?
I think that is a likely case, but I've experienced this with some, younger, Bay Area residents that announce that they're an SF native constantly.

That's certainly possible. At the same time though, go to sfgate pretty much any day of the week and you can find "10 Things only a true San Franciscan would know!" or "Top 25 places to eat in the Bay area" (hint: every single one is in SF for some reason).

I've only been here for ~10 years, but I definitely get a sense that people from the city prejudge you based on whether or not you are from the city.

broz0rs

It's a refreshing departure from the the real world, where if you don't live in "the city" you're looked at as if you're from a lower caste.

Really? I thought it was the other way around. But then again, I have a family and my perspective isn't that of a single person. The only part of SJ I'd live in would be Willow Glen, which kinda defeats the purpose of living in the city lol

That's certainly possible. At the same time though, go to sfgate pretty much any day of the week and you can find "10 Things only a true San Franciscan would know!" or "Top 25 places to eat in the Bay area" (hint: every single one is in SF for some reason).

I've only been here for ~10 years, but I definitely get a sense that people from the city prejudge you based on whether or not you are from the city.

Alright which one you works for sfgate?

2TKGVmj.png

This shit was not here earlier and I've never seen anything like this before.

I finally got an offer accepted for a condo in Santa Clara. It's over priced as hell but will be convenient for me in commuting to SF...moreso than south San Jose where I live now.

It's not too far from the new shopping complex (Whole Foods et al) on Great America, the new office buildings, and Nvidias new HQ.

I'm within walking distance to that new Santa Clara Square with Whole Foods in it. Sup.

As somebody who has lived here 42 years, most people aren't from here. There's no good reason to hold that against anybody.

yeah the amount of native SF people is very low

I mean, think of when the last time you've ever seen kids around in SF. it isn't a place to have a family, at least as of now

M52B28

Banned
yeah the amount of native SF people is very low

I mean, think of when the last time you've ever seen kids around in SF. it isn't a place to have a family, at least as of now
Yeah, now it is not a place to have a family. My parents were about to move into a huge house in SF near Sunset when I was born, but they decided not to. I kind of wish they did. Oh well.

broz0rs

I remember reading about this random news about how actress Eva Longoria sold her 5 bedroom estate in the Hollywood Hills for $1.4 mil late last year. Today I'm reading about these new 2 bed, 2 bath, 1200 sqft condos overlooking the GG bridge that sold for $2 mil a pop. Crazy

native San Franciscan ...moved out to Oakland, unless your old money or fortunate to have buy a house before the boom, yeah...native San Franciscan are low ....i still work in the city and more and more i hate coming out here too work....it just not the same anymore ...and Oakland just feels right for me ....and i get questions alot from people in the city on how's living in Oakland because there curious and thinking about moving out there themselves ....S.F. just becoming too damn expensive and people attitude are just too damn ugly.....

M52B28

Banned
I remember reading about this random news about how actress Eva Longoria sold her 5 bedroom estate in the Hollywood Hills for $1.4 mil late last year. Today I'm reading about these new 2 bed, 2 bath, 1200 sqft condos overlooking the GG bridge that sold for $2 mil a pop. Crazy
My family friend sold his Redwood Shores house for 1.5m back in 2009.

Want to know the thing that sucks. He was single and was getting up there in age and the house became a bit too much for him to handle. My dad recently told me that he was going to allow for my brother and I to move in and live there as long as we helped take care of it. Could be living there right now.

About the housing talk, I'm currently hanging with some relatives but I'm not looking forward to finding my own place in a few (hopefully) months time. Looks like I'll have to be looking near Campbell ish to find some half decent rent.

I'm here for a 2 or 3 year contract and then we'll probably move back up to the pacific northwest.

M52B28

Banned
About the housing talk, I'm currently hanging with some relatives but I'm not looking forward to finding my own place in a few (hopefully) months time. Looks like I'll have to be looking near Campbell ish to find some half decent rent.

I'm here for a 2 or 3 year contract and then we'll probably move back up to the pacific northwest.
I want to move upwards, but I'm not sure how many design based jobs they'll have up there.

Campbell can get pretty expensive too. Pretty desirable in most areas of Campbell.

native San Franciscan ...moved out to Oakland, unless your old money or fortunate to have buy a house before the boom, yeah...native San Franciscan are low ....i still work in the city and more and more i hate coming out here too work....it just not the same anymore ...and Oakland just feels right for me ....and i get questions alot from people in the city on how's living in Oakland because there curious and thinking about moving out there themselves ....S.F. just becoming too damn expensive and people attitude are just too damn ugly.....
I love Oakland, the people just seem better

Crayon

There's a place called Blossom Bee in Dublin about 10 minutes off of 680. You can order a green curry crepe there. Haunts my dreams.

Nelo Ice

Banned
There's a place called Blossom Bee in Dublin about 10 minutes off of 680. You can order a green curry crepe there. Haunts my dreams.
I've been there twice for breakfast crepes. Looks like next time I'm in the area I'll have to try that green curry crepe.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was in SF yesterday in traffic and I missed LA so much. 😢

I hate SJ. I know that I would have to move in a year, because I just can't live in suburbia. 😩

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
How have I just now started going to Berkeley so much better than SF.

So... I now live in your city. Just moved here from Vancouver.

Where do I live? I've been looking at places around SoMa. Kinda like the area by the Metreon and it is close to work. I don't have a car and spent the first couple days here signing up for all the car share companies. I need to sign up for ZipCar and Enterprise still but ZipCar sends your card to your billing address and I still have another address for my billing address and won't be able to update it until next month when I get a permanent place :\

Either way, I also got a Clipper card and started to use MUNI a little. Felt a bit confused and I'm draining my battery on my phone like no other due to needing to seek out maps and routes but things seem to be good.

Any must have apps I should get to help out in SF? Currently staying around Rincon Hills area which is dead as hell during the evenings but I do like the area and the apartments around here are super nice w/ great views of the Bay Bridge. They are just... expensive :p

PS: Posted back in February and asked about neighborhoods. Thanks for the wonderful advice back then!

So... I now live in your city. Just moved here from Vancouver.

Where do I live? I've been looking at places around SoMa. Kinda like the area by the Metreon and it is close to work. I don't have a car and spent the first couple days here signing up for all the car share companies. I need to sign up for ZipCar and Enterprise still but ZipCar sends your card to your billing address and I still have another address for my billing address and won't be able to update it until next month when I get a permanent place :\

Either way, I also got a Clipper card and started to use MUNI a little. Felt a bit confused and I'm draining my battery on my phone like no other due to needing to seek out maps and routes but things seem to be good.

Any must have apps I should get to help out in SF? Currently staying around Rincon Hills area which is dead as hell during the evenings but I do like the area and the apartments around here are super nice w/ great views of the Bay Bridge. They are just... expensive :p

PS: Posted back in February and asked about neighborhoods. Thanks for the wonderful advice back then!
Transit is the best app for telling when a train/bus is actually coming. If you're going to live in SF proper I'd highly recommend getting a Bart/Muni pass.

As for places to live, I'm a fan of Lower Haight and Potrero Hill

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You should download routesy. it's a pretty sweet app, I've been using it for years now.

Just got a job offer at El camino hospital in Los Gatos. Problem is I am moving to the city in October

Is that commute going to be hell? For reference I will be working 11p-7a

broz0rs

Just got a job offer at El camino hospital in Los Gatos. Problem is I am moving to the city in October

Is that commute going to be hell? For reference I will be working 11p-7a

No, You don't have to worry about traffic at those hours. It's going to be a breeze. Even the 101 in SF won't be that bad.

No, You don't have to worry about traffic at those hours. It's going to be a breeze. Even the 101 in SF won't be that bad.

Nice...btw Bay Area pays nurse a hell of a lot of money I had to double take on my base hourly that they gave me

Also who's going to the parade on Thursday? Oakland GAF meetup???

Top Bottom