• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV: 2017 Deluxe Edition includes Season 1&2. $79.99 (On Sale: $47 on Steam)

You can't please everyone. I've seen people complain that characters have changed or that characters haven't changed enough. The roster in SFV contains 0 of my favorite characters but I feel that almost the entire cast's best versions are in V. They've redesigned a lot of old characters so that they mostly have more interesting visual and gameplay designs.

In particular, I main Boxer and love what they did with him. I think he's way more interesting of a character in V than any other game.

I love the ex combo that does tons of damage and carries across the screen, but I miss the classic headbutt into ultra. It just seems like something's missing.

As far as I'm concerned, Ibuki died in SFIV-SFIII.

Conversely I love Ibuki in Street Fighter V far more than her Super Street Fighter IV iteration. Her VTrigger allows for ludicrous shenanigans, her target combo antics are incredibly fun and she no longer has tedious kunai vortex loops but still retains some ambiguous pressure with them. She's incredibly fun to play. The fact she's considered a weaker character doesn't really impact someone like me with middling ability.

The game is currently £14.84 on Steam for folk in the UK or £37.82 with the Season 1+2 passes. I generally don't like to pay more than £30 for games (except Street Fighter V which I happily purchased digitally at launch) so the bundle price is still a bit steep but the base game plus the Season 1 pass would be under £30 and you'd easily earn enough Fight Money to unlock every character in Season 2 without buying the pass (though you'd miss out on the bonus costumes).

Considering so many people just stick with Ryu the DLC of Street Fighter V is perfect. Just buy that one disc, now at ludicrous discount prices, and yer all set for the game's lifetime.

kirblar

Anyone who loved Ibuki's vortex stuff in SFIV was never going to be happy with SFV Ibuki.

Anyone who hated playing against Ibuki's vortex stuff in SFIV was going to be in love with SFV Ibuki.

Nephtes

Conversely I love Ibuki in Street Fighter V far more than her Super Street Fighter IV iteration. Her VTrigger allows for ludicrous shenanigans, her target combo antics are incredibly fun and she no longer has tedious kunai vortex loops but still retains some ambiguous pressure with them. She's incredibly fun to play. The fact she's considered a weaker character doesn't really impact someone like me with middling ability.

If they would just add her neckbreaker slide back as a regular special move and return her triple spin kicks...We could talk...

But they won't... So no talking will occur.

Fuck evil Ibuki clone and Capcom.

Anyone who loved Ibuki's vortex stuff in SFIV was never going to be happy with SFV Ibuki.

Anyone who hated playing against Ibuki's vortex stuff in SFIV was going to be in love with SFV Ibuki.

For the 11 billionth time!!!!
It's not about the vortex!

It's the fact they removed the DNA from Ibuki's move set that made her Ibuki.
She's had those moves for 19 years for God's sake.

The neckbreaker slide.
The spin kicks.
The jump in kick thing I don't remember the name of...

They've always been there.
And now they're not and she doesn't feel like Ibuki.

It'd be like if they took away Ryu's Hadouken... Ken's flaming dragon punch or Cammy's canon spike and replaced those moves with crap.

qcf x2

No, the price is correct. The servers are really wonky right now so it might be worth waiting a few hours before making a purchase.

See, I'd call this a good deal IF they had fixed the loading issues and added something w/ single player replayability like arcade mode. This is the price point Capcom should aim for if they want to get people to bite, not $80. Even then, the game still loads like a PSX fighter so I can't in good faith recommend it to anyone.

Pompadour

If they would just add her neckbreaker slide back as a regular special move and return her triple spin kicks...We could talk...

Yeah, they should have kept the neckbreaker slide and maybe make the spin kicks a target combo, at least. I prefer when they at least put old moves somewhere in the movelist (like Boxer's headbutt being V-Reversal, a ton of old supers becoming EX moves, etc.)

I know that Ibuki's neckbreaker is one of her throws in V which kind of invalidates my first point but I really like how fun that move was in 3 and 4.

For the 11 billionth time!!!!
It's not about the vortex!

It's the fact they removed the DNA from Ibuki's move set that made her Ibuki.
She's had those moves for 19 years for God's sake.

The neckbreaker slide.
The spin kicks.
The jump in kick thing I don't remember the name of...

They've always been there.
And now they're not and she doesn't feel like Ibuki.

It'd be like if they took away Ryu's Hadouken... Ken's flaming dragon punch or Cammy's canon spike and replaced those moves with crap.

Or maybe like Zangief's green hand ;)

Pompadour

I think I like V's design so much (not so much its execution) because it incorporates a lot of my ideas, one being getting rid of Green Hand. I never thought that this big, muscle-bound Russian wrestler should use magic/ki/whatever for one move just so they could get past zoning. Flexing through or headbutting fireballs fits the character so much better.

Of course, I don't play Zangief so I don't have to deal with the lack of Green Hand in my moveset but I feel if they need that move they should just put in something functionally similar but visibly different.

cordy

Banned
You're right there is nothing wrong with wanting to play with new characters vs old characters, nothing wrong with that at all. What makes this biased is that you desire to NOT play with the new characters is simply because they are new. You know nothing about them at all. Not even what they look like. That's where it becomes bias vs preference.

Now if they were are released or even shown and you decided that they didn't mesh with you well and you would've preferred more classics than whatever they tried, i's say that was a very fair opinion. Just to be clear.

As far as season 2 goes, I know you can't really say if you'll want the other characters yet because well, we know nothing about it. Heck I don't know. I'm just open and excited for the possibilities. I'm totally for not blind purchasing character passes. I think it's a silly tactic to get you to spend FM/$$ ahead of time, or to just invest. With how well (or lack thereof) your game is doing, i feel it'd be in the best interest of all parties to just show your hand at all times, so people know what they're getting into.

I think there's a difference when money comes into play. Say if it's free? I can understand but when money's involved people have to really factor in how much they want to really spend on these characters. $30 bucks for some characters they don't want (even thus far it'll have a lack of familiarity and memories).

Either way it's all good since at the end of the day it's rooted around what the consumer thinks is worth their purchase.

I bought sfv (ps4) used for 20€ this week. I'm not gonna buy those season passes at this price point. I'm gonna wait until those are for sale. It's just ridiculous.

ArjanN

in the world to capitalize on its strengths and be great to all players of all skill levels. They even stated that was their initial goal. To be more accessible than Street Fighter IV. But it hasn't panned out, and stating over and over the most obvious reasons why - reasons that currently remain unaddressed - can definitely seem maddening at times, especially to those who never cared for the material and worth of Street Fighter beyond its most distilled competitive nature.

The game is more accessible than Street Fighter IV though.

Nephtes

You can't tell me the Zangief green hand has been part of the character's DNA since his inception like the moves they took away from Ibuki...

Banishing Flat AKA the green hand was introduced in SFIV, a mere 8 years ago...
Neckbreaker has been there for Ibuki from the dawn of her existence in 1997 till Capcom killed her in SFV.

mooncakes

na man, its not that.

Imagine your favorite character lost like 75% of their specials moves and changed the way they played drastically. I can understand if they change normals and stuff but by removing literally her specials and playstyle, it doesnt make her Ibuki anymore. She might as well be a clone or something.

She lost her penguin kicks, rekka kicks, the flip move, neckbreaker, close launcher roundhouse,etc....What makes her Ibuki is gone.

It is like if Ryu have to charge to throw a fireball, players would go bananas.

Pompadour

You can't tell me the Zangief green hand has been part of the character's DNA since his inception like the moves they took away from Ibuki...

Banishing Flat AKA the green hand was introduced in SFIV, a mere 8 years ago...
Neckbreaker has been there for Ibuki from the dawn of her existence till Capcom killed her in SFV.

It was actually introduced in Super Turbo. Regardless, it's worse for Zangief since he's been in way more games whereas Ibuki was in only 3, 4, xT, and Pocket Fighter I believe.

Banishing Flat AKA the green hand was introduced in SFIV, a mere 8 years ago..

It's older than Street Fighter IV; it was introduced in Super Street Fighter II Turbo so ...22 years ago? Oh my god.

Kureransu

I think there's a difference when money comes into play. Say if it's free? I can understand but when money's involved people have to really factor in how much they want to really spend on these characters. $30 bucks for some characters they don't want (even thus far it'll have a lack of familiarity and memories).

Either way it's all good since at the end of the day it's rooted around what the consumer thinks is worth their purchase.
this is true if it's free then i don't think anyone would care. but holding these characters close to their chest touting akuma as a lure to get people to jump in otherwise blindly isn't really gonna work for the masses.

Nephtes

na man, its not that.

Imagine your favorite character lost like 75% of their specials moves and changed the way they played drastically. I can understand if they change normals and stuff but by removing literally her specials and playstyle, it doesnt make her Ibuki anymore. She might as well be a clone or something.

She lost her penguin kicks, rekka kicks, the flip move, neckbreaker, close launcher roundhouse,etc....What makes her Ibuki is gone.

^ this
All this.

The killing of Ibuki pretty much lined up exactly with the day Street Fighter V died for me.

There are no characters in the game I'm comfortable playing with...
I was shit tier when the game launched but I was holding out for Ibuki so I could rise out of the Bronze tier finally...

And then they released Ibuki in the summer and that was that.
The magic was gone. She played so horrendously different that it wasn't even worth learning how to use bastardized Ibuki.
And the rest of the cast just doesn't interest me.

My favorite game series in gaming ceased to be my favorite in an instant.
I don't even know what my favorite series is now, but it's not Street Fighter, that's for sure.

I put up with so much shit in the initial launch of SFV from the awful load times, banana hair clipping, no arcade mode, shitty net code and prevalence of rage quitting asshats, and breaking Ibuki was the final straw.

Between this and how crappy MGSV turned out... What's to love about these once cherished series any more?

They've lost me until they fix Ibuki or release SFVI I guess.

Xevren

I'm kinda with you guys on how you felt on Ibuki in season 1, but give her a chance in season 2 and really try and use the buffs given to her. She feels so much better to me now, standard bnb's do more damage and the kunai reload buffs are really nice. Her standing MK is probably the best buff and the health buff is sweet too. I was insanely let down with her release but so far I'm really happy with her after the patch.

Nephtes

I'm kinda with you guys on how you felt on Ibuki in season 1, but give her a chance in season 2 and really try and use the buffs given to her. She feels so much better to me now, standard bnb's do more damage and the kunai reload buffs are really nice. Her standing MK is probably the best buff and the health buff is sweet too. I was insanely let down with her release but so far I'm really happy with her after the patch.

So you're telling me they brought back her neckbreaker slide then, yes?
Because otherwise, I don't want to hear it.

robotrock

Banned
its bs that you cant cop the deluxe edition if you already own the base game....

Does the deluxe edition add anything other than the content available in the season pass? Because you can just buy those two passes for a total of $45 right now.

Capcom keeps on proving that they don't understand how to sell this game. For people who might not know what is actually included in the season passes, this version of the game could practically be called characters editions or something. Both season passes combined will only net you one of the extra stages and will give you one extra costume for new characters. (excluding story costumes which should've been available to everyone since it's already in disc)

It's really not that hard Capcom.

• All S1 Characters, Stages, Costumes and Colors - $40/$60
  • All S1 and S2 Characters, Stages, Costumes and Colors - $60/$80
They can do this each and every year by adding new contents from last season to each version while keeping the prices intact.

JayEH

Capcom keeps on proving that they don't understand how to sell this game. For people who might not know what is actually included in the season passes, this version of the game could practically be called characters editions or something. Both season passes combined will only net you one of the extra stages and will give you one extra costume for new characters. (excluding story costumes which should've been available to everyone since it's already in disc)

They can do this each and every year by adding new contents from last season to each version while keeping the prices intact.

They're calling them character passes now to avoid any confusion.

xHiryu

Does the deluxe edition add anything other than the content available in the season pass? Because you can just buy those two passes for a total of $45 right now.

why would you want to do this in the first place? just buy the passes if you don'r have them.

Just buy the Season 1 and Season 2 Passes on their own. Season 1 is priced $14.99 on its own and Season 2 is at $29.99 no matter how you purchase it.

usually steam offers a discount if you own a part of the bundle, in this case it would have been a discount on the two passes since i own the base game. its just the cheapboi in me haha

Logic? Sensible business decisions? Selling products that don't confuse/frustrate consumers? Get the fuck out of here! This is Capcom son! Their mission statement reads something also the lines of:

"Take as much of the customers' money as possible AND make sure to piss them off in process!"

It was recently renamed.
Hopefully that means we can expect complete season passes at some point. When it comes to SFV, I honestly can't understand Capcom's logic. By now they should've announced/released a $25/$35 "complete season 1" DLC for the current owners.

And by complete I mean everything. (costumes, stages, colors, etc)

Josh5890

I might dive in on this. I bought SF 5 at launch on PS4 but I haven't played in a while and since then I cut off my PS+ membership. At least this way I could play online again

Neoxon

How many seasons of DLC content does Capcom plan on releasing?
Considering that Capcom plans to support the game until 2020 & we're already on Season 2, I'd expect 5 seasons when it's all said & done before Capcom moves on to SFVI. Assuming they stick to 6 characters per season, the game is probably gonna cap out at 46 characters (2 more than USFIV).

The initial roadmap was until 2020 so...4-5? But who knows, maybe they'll pull the plug earlier.
With rumors of MvCI having its own eSports league separate from the CPT, SFV is probably gonna stay the course by virtue of it being the main game of the Capcom Pro Tour.

Kade

Wow, you can't even gift the Deluxe Edition if you already own Street Fighter V and/or Season 1 which is fucking bullshit. Normally you could gift bundles regardless of whether the purchaser owned them or not but for some reason Capcom put in extra work to disallow it. Not only that, Steam introduced dynamic pricing for bundles where the price would change depending on what bundle items you owned but that's also greyed out if you own any item in the Deluxe Edition. Theoretically, it would be cheaper to purchase it using this method and that's 100% why they blocked it but I've never actually seen that happen on any bundle pages until now.

Don't care so much about getting Season 2 for myself but I really wanted to gift a friend the Deluxe Edition and it's insane that you can't.

Wow, you can't even gift the Deluxe Edition if you already own Street Fighter V and/or Season 1 which is fucking bullshit. Normally you could gift bundles regardless of whether the purchaser owned them or not but for some reason Capcom put in extra work to disallow it. Not only that, Steam introduced dynamic pricing for bundles where the price would change depending on what bundle items you owned but that's also greyed out if you own any item in the Deluxe Edition. Theoretically, it would be cheaper to purchase it using this method and that's 100% why they blocked it but I've never actually seen that happen on any bundle pages until now.

Don't care so much about getting Season 2 for myself but I really wanted to gift a friend the Deluxe Edition and it's insane that you can't.

Sounds like business as usual for Capcom.

"Take as much of the customers' money as possible AND make sure to piss them off in process!"

Hutchie

na man, its not that.

It is like if Ryu have to charge to throw a fireball, players would go bananas.

Like jin from tekken 3-4, iori kof xi to xii and kyo had his moveset changed. Heck the same happened to yang (who used to be a clone of yun in sfiii ng). It does happen in games, would still recommend trying the character out. Change can be good

Looking to join the SFV Community, never played a SF game Before except on SNES when I was a kid..

*Is PS4 and PC cross play?
*If I pick up the cheapest version on psn, Will I only miss out on additional characters and costumes?
*Are those additional characters unlockable, roughly how much time?
*Is the MP solid, lag free? Only played Another beat em up game on ps3 and way too many games had lag (100mbit Connection). Is there different leagues for different ranks etc?

Thanks!

Looking to join the SFV Community, never played a SF game Before except on SNES when I was a kid..

*If I pick up the cheapest version on psn, Will I only miss out on additional characters and costumes?
*Is the MP solid, lag free? Only played Another beat em up game on ps3 and way too many games had lag (100mbit Connection). Is there different leagues for different ranks etc?

Thanks!

1: Yes there is PS4 and PC cross-play.
2: Base game has 16 characters - you can unlock the season 1 characters (6 characters in total) by playing/grinding the game via the different modes. Some costumes you can purchase with in-game money, some costumes you have to buy with real money.
3: I think if you beat the story mode (which takes 3-5 hours), you can unlock most, if not all of the season 1 characters with the in-game money you are rewarded with. Not sure about Akuma because he was just released a few days ago.
4: Multiplayer is hit and miss for me (on a 75mbps connection using 802.11n on my PS4). Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes there is a lot of latency. Yes there are different ranks but I’m still at the bottom lol...

Thanks!
-Yes
-Yes, and stages
-If you play through the character stories (they're pretty quick) it'll take you about an hour and I think you get enough Fight Money for like 1.5 characters or something. You can then play through easy/normal survival with as many characters as you want to get fight money. Anything higher than normal survival is pretty hard though. All characters can be bought with in game currency, it also doesn't expire. There are certain costumes and stages that can only be bought with real money.
-When the MP works it is beautiful. When you're matched with someone with a rough connection it can be miserable with constant fast forwarding/rewinding/teleporting because of how the netcode tries to balance it out

Dartastic

Wait a second. I already own the game on PS4. I don't own Season 2 on PS4. There's really no reason for me to buy the Season 2 pass, is there. I almost certainly should just buy it on PC for the extra 17. That's shitty. :(

Also, this game fucking rules. If you don't own it, buy it. Game is great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bundlestars has a deluxe edition for the same price but there they also have a 10% voucher on top. They use the same banner as steam, but in the bundlestars page it doesnt specify the contents. One assumes its the same (both season passes) but im not sure, but my real question is, since its a key from bundlestars, is it one key or 3 keys (game, season pass 1, season pass 2). If its three I would probably buy it, keep the season passes and gift the game.

I mailed (and twitter messaged) them asking but no reply.

Question: is it feasible to buy the basic game and buy everything with Fight Money? Or is it an excruciating process?

EDIT: By everything, I mean all the DLC characters. Not literally every little bit of content. Should've been more clear, my bad.

Neoxon

Question: is it feasible to buy the basic game and buy everything with Fight Money? Or is it an excruciating process?
You can in theory get all of the characters with Fight Money if you don't spend said Fight Money on anything else, but be prepared to endure Survival Mode & go through a bit of a grind online (I.E. You'll need to put in some work, but it's not a living hell). Getting everything that Fight Money can buy with Fight Money would be much harder.

Also, keep up with the Daily Challenges. You'd be surprised how much Fight Money you can get from those if you complete them on a regular basis.

Everything meaning costumes too? No

If you do all of the story stuff, and run through survival easy/normal with all characters in the base game you should have enough to buy like 5 characters or something. They've added challenges to add some extra ways to earn FM but not sure how reasonable that ends up being in the long run

Hard mode survival pays out too but I wouldn't bother. Don't think Extreme is for anything besides a trophy and maybe some colors

Top Bottom