• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

Not sure about how meaningful conversations are, but there's plenty of choice in the game even with just the Nemesis system and you can customize your equipment with runes and there are plenty of non-mandatory quests/things to do (a lot of which can revolve around the Nemesis system).

Can I change my whole equipment? Will my character's look changed if I change the equipment? How about exploration?
Nemesis system and side quests might get me interested. I won't still buy the game at day 1 though.

Can I change my whole equipment? Will my character's look changed if I change the equipment? How about exploration?
Nemesis system and side quests might get me interested. I won't still buy the game at day 1 though.

You can't change any of your equipment, only power it up via runes.
It's open world, so there's a map to explore.

Cirruss

I had zero interest in this game since I thought it was being made by EA since they had the LOTR license for ages. Then I notice that it was being published by WB and that plus this thread has shot my interest in this game way up.

I had zero interest in this game since I thought it was being made by EA since they had the LOTR license for ages. Then I notice that it was being published by WB and that plus this thread has shot my interest in this game way up.

Don't forget it's made by Monolith! :)

(Shogo, No one Lives Forever, FEAR1/2, Blood,etc)

jooso

Surprisingly there are very few games coming out this year that interest me, might have to give this one a chance! Im a huge fan of the Lotr trilogy but I'll wait for reviews.

Theecliff

Banned
I've started watching the hobbit movies in anticipation of this, middle earth is a really cool world.
I wish this game was also set outside of Mordor :( Seeing a next generation open world version of middle earth would have been magical.

Still, this thread and some of the more recent videos I've seen is slowly growing excitement in me. Hopefully Mordor is interesting enough to explore.

danielcw

EA's track record with Lord Of The Rings games was pretty good,
and WB so far (War In The North, Guradians Of Middleearth) has been mediocre, as far as I can tell.

Iceternal

I think this game has "bomb" written over it ...

I don't see it getting attention and the devs have been showing the same thing over and over again. I've seen what probably amounts to hours of gameplay and it felt like I was watching the same thing over and over again.

After the 50th interrogation/mind control thing, it's already started to feel dull.

And something about the artstyle of the game doesn't click for me . I don't know ... the color scheme seems off and the environments don't look very interesting.

I know :)

Only saying I think could be possible do 'fucking' Mordor where you can say if it's day time or night only looking at your character. Opressive lighting doesn't mean boring color representation, right?

Can you elaborate? Sorry, didn't understand the post, you want to tell it's day and night by just looking at the character? Color representation of what?

I think this game has "bomb" written over it ...

tumblr_n5zekuIy5N1tt3wuco1_250.gif

Hystzen

EA published The Two Towers, Battle for middle earth and third age (it a ffx clone but was kind of fun) so not sure why EA making LOTR games is bad apart from whole internet EA=satan shit

Have they shown a single video with anything other than the nemesis stuff? I was looking forward to this but I thought there'd be more to it than just that. Is there any exploration and such in this game?

Ravage

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - Now Playing (Gamespot)

An hour long look at Mordor over at Gamespot. This just looks better every time I see it.

I hope there isn't some kind of backlash from players expecting something like a straight-forward brawler, like the PS2-era LOTR games.

I'm still not convinced that the Nemesis system can provide significant dynamism, but the combat (and mounting caragors) does look pretty fun. Game is now officially on my to-buy list.

Azih

I wish this game was also set outside of Mordor :( Seeing a next generation open world version of middle earth would have been magical.

Still, this thread and some of the more recent videos I've seen is slowly growing excitement in me. Hopefully Mordor is interesting enough to explore.

It's kind of really smart setting it entirely in Mordor as in the official lore Mordor is pretty much a black hole except for the path that Frodo travels hrough to get to Mount Doom. This way the game doesn't need to worry about tripping over Tolkien like the EA games did.

Have they shown a single video with anything other than the nemesis stuff? I was looking forward to this but I thought there'd be more to it than just that. Is there any exploration and such in this game?

they have like 2 or 3 hour-long playthroughs out in the wild- not focused on nemesis system

all of them look fantastic

My thought is that Mordor was sort of a "safe" way to do a first open world in the LOTR universe Stick to one isolated region and be able to focus mostly on enemies instead of building a sprawling full world with many factions.

Hopefully this turns out as great as it looks, sells well, and we see more open world LOTR!

BPoole

Just bought it. Based on the gameplay I have seen, the protagonist is OP as fuck. I hope there is some sort of challenge to be had.

MaLDo

Can you elaborate? Sorry, didn't understand the post, you want to tell it's day and night by just looking at the character? Color representation of what?

He thinks the same

IAnd something about the artstyle of the game doesn't click for me . I don't know ... the color scheme seems off and the environments don't look very interesting.

Looking a few trailers is not the same than spend hours over the same colors. You can use a specific color scheme in Mordor scenes during a movie because the rest of the movie would shift the colors in another way. But a full movie being filmed only in Mordor must add a new layer of extra colors here and there.

I know it's not easy to read my english :), what I think is this game has a wrong/boring/dull and eventually stressful color scheme for long play times.

Hey Messofanego...

can I use you gifs in the OT?

Again? lol

Hey Levyne, do you have a title for the OT yet? Seems like a good thread to brainstorm for one:

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Orcs

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| Next-Gen Tolkien Gravespinning

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| High Fantasy Mafia Simulator

FHIZ

Did I recall right and this is a 60fps game?

Pre ordered for PS4 regardless since the combat system and abilities look really cool.

"It’s definitely 1080p and we are going to do everything we can to get to 60 frames per second" in regards to PS4. They were asked about the One version and were noncommittal. Take that for what you will.

Was said somewhere in this long ass stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJF4cFILmB0

Game looks braindead easy. Hype deflating.

I dunno, I've seen the game's producers die a number of times while playing during interviews, and my understanding is that you can make the game harder by challenging targets ahead of time in order to earn better runes. That said, I don't think the game is necessarily trying to be punishing. The fun seems to come from the open-ended approach to encounters and manipulating the orc hierarchy. It's more about getting unexpected events out of the game's system and less about perfect execution.

Braag

At first I didn't care for this game much. Then I heard it was being developed by Monolith and that peeked my interest. I've been lately watching a lot of gameplay videos, previews and demos and I'm getting really hyped.
I'm getting the urge to buy this day 1 or even pre order it.
Hold me GAF, force me to wait and see how it turns out.

Iceternal

I really can't stand the green/brown filter they put on the game.

It gives an unsettling vibe to the game, maybe that's what they were going for but I don't think I can't stand it for a whole game.

shandy706

Will pick up in Steam Sale.

The developer is promising.

Edit** Watching that "latest" video above...some rough textures and poly-counts for a PS4/X1 game. Cross-gen?

Levyne

Banned
Hey Levyne, do you have a title for the OT yet? Seems like a good thread to brainstorm for one:

Hehe, not yet.

Not sure I like those, though... but I know I haven't blurted out any better ones

Raptor

Or Im blind or something but in that Solaris footage I don't see tearing.

I must be blind though.

Game looks really pretty and fun, but Im worried that in all the footage we have seen is always the same location and the map always looks the same.

This game looks pretty awesome but I don't know a damn thing about LOTR lore. I only saw the first movie.

Will I be lost if I play it?

The game takes place between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and even if helps to know the lore of any pre-existing franchise I don't think you'll feel lost playing. It's pretty much Talions story who doesn't exist in any of the books.

If you want to read about the lore here's a good wiki. http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Reading up on Celebrimbor might be a good idea though. :p

I'm really interested in this game even if I'm a very casual LOTR fan. The protagonist is a big letdown for me though. It's like they went to WB and showed the nemesis system and they demanded a bulky white generic fantasy marine in return. I really hope the orcs are funny to loook and listen to (as it actually seems from the previews I saw thus far) because that guy sure looks boring.

This might actually be my first PS4 game. Really looking forward to it. The Nemesis system is something I don't think I've seen in a game before. Hopefully more studios can implement it, if it lives up to what previews have said about it.

Braag

I vote for "Next-Gen Tolkien Gravespinning" :D

majik13

Hoping this game gets good impressions and reviews, as I would like to pick it up if it turns out good, but I aint pre ordering.

Top Bottom