• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

Anyone got any fun plans with the nemesis system? I'm really looking forward to trying out various things and see what gets a reaction.

I don't see myself ever chasing anyone down if they flee, much more fun letting them escape and grow in power and live to fight another day.

Much like some of you have already thought it will be fun letting our minions do the work themselves and just watching from a distance - there's no guarantee that a level 10 orc will beat a level 3 Orc because of the randomness of combat.

There are a few interesting achievements that encourage playing around with the Nemesis system. One in particular I'm looking forward to is
branding 5 bodyguards of a warchief, and then turning them against him in combat. For some reason they missed out on calling it the "E tu, Brute".

Erevador

Dumb question, but would someone who never watched any of the LotR movies like this game? I'm genuinely interested in a new Monolith game.
Yes, but you're extremely lucky that you still have a first viewing of those films ahead of you. They are fantastic!

lmbotiva

whats known about the framerate on ps4? my PC can run this easy i believe but i like more the ecosystem on ps4 because party chat and friends and what not

FHIZ

whats known about the framerate on ps4? my PC can run this easy i believe but i like more the ecosystem on ps4 because party chat and friends and what not

There was something a couple months back about 1080p/60 on PS4, non committal on Xbone. Not sure if that's still true or not.

mdsfx

Anywhere to read up more on the nemesis system, I still don't understand all of it, mostly when they're in the menu selecting and drawing lines between other baddies. It just tells you what baddies you can kill, or if you brand them you can have those guys go after others? If you decide to kill them all do more take their place?
I believe it shows you a connected group of enemies and the ranks that make that group up.

If one of them kills you, you may see them increase in rank.

Scare a captain and send a death threat through him to the upper ranks (by connecting him with a line to his superior) so they know you exist and are coming for them.

I'm not sure about the enemies that are blacked out though. Maybe those are the bad guys you have yet to find or have killed?

FHIZ

I believe it shows you a connected group of enemies and the ranks that make that group up.

Scare a captain and send a death threat through him to the upper ranks (by connecting him with a line to his superior) so they know you exist and are coming for them.

I'm not sure about the enemies that are blacked out though. Maybe those are the bad guys you have yet to find or have killed?

I think blacked out enemies are the ones you don't have intel on yet.

mdsfx

That twitch footage sold me.

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick this up, but I definitely am now.
I was blown away. If it weren't for this new nemesis system, I don't think I would be as interested. Having enemies remember your actions is pretty appealing to me. It feels like you have much more control over your identity instead of scripted events that happen regardless of your decisions/actions.

Everyone are captains apart from the top row, the screens starts off bank as you know nothing. As you meet Orcs and your spies gather information more get gets revealed

B4D1E

After watching the "making of", I was sold on the game. You can see the devs putting all their passion into this project. They were so happy watching fans playing the demo and getting thrilled by the game.

I pre-purchased the game on Xbox. I don't care about the resolution and framerate, as long as I have a beautiful world to explore and an interesting setting, I'm a happy gamer! And in Monolith I trust!

Wish someone would just straight up ask Monolith about the PS4s final framerate and tearing on Twitter or something (I dont have an account)
I mean, ive already paid it off in full but would still like to know

Also, surpised no one ever mentioned it before, but the game sort of ultimately reminds me of one of my favorite titles from a couple of Gens back, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction :)

Nemesis System = Deck of Cards

xBladeM6x

I'm really into LoTR, but I haven't really been exposed to much about this game. If someone could do me the favor of showing me something awesome / informative? xD

drotahorror

I think blacked out enemies are the ones you don't have intel on yet.

In that twitch footage yesterday, I believe they grabbed an orc and made him spill some information on some of the leaders/captains etc. After he did that, it showed the screen with all the captains and the blanked out captain appeared.

SJRB

Gold Member
In that twitch footage yesterday, I believe they grabbed an orc and made him spill some information on some of the leaders/captains etc. After he did that, it showed the screen with all the captains and the blanked out captain appeared.

This is true. There are "worms", orcs with information about captains or War Chiefs unknown to you. They have a green icon over their heads. You have to slap them around a bit, grab them and read their mind.

VanWinkle

Wish someone would just straight up ask Monolith about the PS4s final framerate and tearing on Twitter or something (I dont have an account)
I mean, ive already paid it off in full but would still like to know

I asked the community manager at Monolith and he says there is no tearing in the shipping build and v-sync is enabled. However, he didnt seem to know that there wad ever tearing, because he asked me to send him links to some of the streams so they could research it. That's all we have to go on.

I asked the community manager at Monolith and he says there is no tearing in the shipping build and v-sync is enabled. However, he didnt seem to know that there wad ever tearing, because he asked me to send him links to some of the streams so they could research it. That's all we have to go on.

thanks man!

Yeah, that's weird as it's in literally EVERY stream they've done of the PS4 build up to this point.

Kiant

Well that's good, although if he can't see the tearing in the streams : /, fingers crossed because apart from that this game is looking great.

VanWinkle

Well that's good, although if he can't see the tearing in the streams : /, fingers crossed because apart from that this game is looking great.

Yeah. Its weird. I asked him if something is maybe going wrong during the capture process and he said it could be. I don't know. But I have sent him a couple of links to some videos with tearing. I haven't heard anything back yet.

It just seems like he is pretty confident since he straight up says v-sync is enabled.

I would think that if they are letting reviews show up four days prior to the game releasing, that would show that they're confident about the game's quality.

Whenever a company/politician wants to bury negative publicity they make a press release on friday. I guess ill wait for reviews before purchasing. Better safe than sorry.

bigmac996

Whenever a company/politician wants to bury negative publicity they make a press release on friday. I guess ill wait for reviews before purchasing. Better safe than sorry.

Vanwinkle is right, the fact that the embargo is up 4 days beforehand is a good sign. If it were lifted after release or the day of, then you'd have more reason to worry.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This is a prime example of fallacious thinking.

First statement:
Is the review embargo pretty much guarantee its a bomb? What reason could they have to withhold review code?
Turns out they don't withhold review code and the game's reviews are allowed to be published 4 days in advance of launch.

... Which apparently is also bad because of politicians.

FHIZ

Game releases aren't politicians... Embargos lifting shortly before release is pretty standard. Now, if the embargo doesn't lift until the day it releases, and there isn't a semi plausible reason as to why (IE: Destiny online connectivity), then you've got something to worry about, that would be the equivalent of the politician example you used.

wait, you are worried because they are putting out reviews for a game before its release date? Thats a first

This is a prime example of fallacious thinking.

First statement:

Turns out they don't withhold review code and the game's reviews are allowed to be published 4 days in advance of launch.

... Which apparently is also bad because of politicians.

Clearly i was concerned with actual reviews. And im not sure how you got that conclusion from what i said. Its a pretty simple concept. Negative publicity is thrown out in the friday afternoon news dump. People are busy with other things and not paying attention to the media.

Its not just politicians. Everyone does it from politicians to corporations which is what i said.

Drewfonse

Clearly i was concerned with actual reviews. And im not sure how you got that conclusion from what i said. Its a pretty simple concept. Negative publicity is thrown out in the friday afternoon news dump. People are busy with other things and not paying attention to the media.

If Monolith was actually worried that the game would review poorly, they would have held reviews until launch. They haven't. I think that this bodes well for the game, especially given the unfortunate trend of prohibiting "early" reviews.

benny_a

"What reason could they have to withhold review code?"

This is first post and I assume your concern. Why else would you write it otherwise?

They do not withhold review code so the whole premise is incorrect.

For some reason even though you were absolutely wrong about them withholding review code you're still concerned.
Now it's just a new concern. Completely on the opposite spectrum of the previous concern. Curious, that.

"What reason could they have to withhold review code?"

This is first post and I assume your concern. Why else would you write it otherwise?

They do not withhold review code so the whole premise is incorrect.

For some reason even though you were absolutely wrong about them withholding review code you're still concerned.
Now it's just a new concern. Completely on the opposite spectrum of the previous concern. Curious, that.

Are you not reading my posts? Im not making a case to the games quality. Its clear your looking for an argument and not interested in answering my question.

cackhyena

Its not just politicians. Everyone does it from politicians to corporations which is what i said.
If by all accounts through previews in the past few months, you, press, and everyone else could tell this wasn't going to be good in any way, shape or form, you'd already know this was a politician like move. It still doesn't really apply if it were the case because average joe doesn't give a fuck about reviews. So negative press means little when joe wants the next LotR game he sees on the shelf. None of it matters, as the creators have seemed nothing but confident in all they've shown...which is a lot. On top of that, the press has had nothing but praise, seemingly, for what the game does and how it handles. I think your fears are unfounded but if you have hesitation after everything shown, somehow, then it's smart to wait it out.

benny_a

Are you not reading my posts? Im not making a case to the games quality. Its clear your looking for an argument and not interested in answering my question.
I didn't think that argument merited a reply, but if you insist that I will indulge this conspiratorial thinking for one post.

Publications are not obligated to bury the truth on Friday, despite it being the day the embargo ends. They can scream the inconvenient truth on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and release day Tuesday. Or even later if they think that makes sense for them.

Levyne

Banned
does this game have a crafting feature?

Not really, it seems like there are specific ways to get certain runes that you can use to upgrade your weapons, though.

You have a dagger, bow, and sword and each can be augmented by runes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVKZfJuegBE

I believe that your look is fixed, no armor or anything like that. There's a skin for pre-ordering, another Gamestop exclusive, and more on the way with dlc. So customization is really through weapons, with skins just being extras.

whoaduh

I love it when you find out about a game and its releasing in only a few weeks. I just started watching some trailers and streams of this game and am extremely hyped for it! Def beats waiting for years for a game to come out.

Top Bottom