• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor deserves more attention. Come in and be hyped with me.

Koobion

Is PS4 confirmed 60fps? I would get on my new PC but I'm a trophy nut

I'm in the exact same situation. Have a brand new PC but I kinda want the trophies. So torn, especially because it seems like it may be a fantastic running game on console.

But like everything it comes down to money. How are people getting the for less than $40 US? The best I see is 47 at Newegg(PC). Iif I can get the cheaper deal I might go PC.

Levyne

Banned
I'm in the exact same situation. Have a brand new PC but I kinda want the trophies. So torn, especially because it seems like it may be a fantastic running game on console.

But like everything it comes down to money. How are people getting the for less than $40 US? The best I see is 47 at Newegg(PC). Iif I can get the cheaper deal I might go PC.

Well the PC base price is 49.99. Nuuvem has it for something like 30 dollars.

GreenManGaming has had it for 37.50, although I'm not sure if there are vouchers to get that discount available right now.

Russian traders are another source. GAF has a reputable one here in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Very low prices compared to US stores, as you can see. Some games aren't cross-region trade-able, although I'm fairly certain SOM is not one of them.

This is one of those games where if it got a 0/10 from reviewers I won't care. I'm there DAY 0.

wraithpowersv2.gif

Jira

Green Man Gaming pretty much always has a 25% off all big release coupon every couple weeks, you just happened to miss the latest run of it. Might happen again right before launch.

DrBo42

I'm a little worried on what kind of legs the game has. Do we have any info on how varied the story missions are or its length? I know there are challenge modes but I'm hoping it has a New Game+ like Arkham that makes the enemies more difficult by default. Something was said on the Twitch PAX stream about a dynamic difficulty mode or something like that. Any idea what that is?

I'm a little worried on what kind of legs the game has. Do we have any info on how varied the story missions are or its length? I know there are challenge modes but I'm hoping it has a New Game+ like Arkham that makes the enemies more difficult by default. Something was said on the Twitch PAX stream about a dynamic difficulty mode or something like that. Any idea what that is?

I can't find anything on New Game+ modes but we do know that you can influence difficulty by the way you approach challenges. from the AMA:

As you gain upgrades he can become very powerful, and we have tended to show demos where we have a bunch of our upgrades unlocked and the difficulty turned down - but of course one does not simply walk into Mordor. One thing we've tried to do is let you control the difficulty by how you play - not just the options in the front end. You can go straight after bosses without learning their weaknesses, you can even send them Death Threats which make them tougher and give you better Runes.

They also mentioned that the 'brand 5 warchiefs' mission they've demonstrated over and over should take about 2-3 hours on normal, non-demo difficulty. About the total playtime:

We have a ton of side activities and missions that include rescue missions, explorations and challenges. We also create dynamic missions through power struggles and have a ton of collectibles. We are averaging 30+ hours playing through the game. As for the Nemesis System, since our world is dynamic, each enemy will be unique to your game. Orc society will also play an active roll in keeping things new and exciting. Not only are you influencing the Orc power structure though your actions, the Orcs are also doing the same as they all claw and fight their way to the top.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not building a new PC until early 2015 so I'm going PS4! Looks like it will look phenomenal on all current gen platforms regardless.

I'm trying to limit my footage exposure because I want to go in as fresh as possible. It looks so damn fun though!

It's no Dragon's Dogma but it seems to have enough elements in common that, along with the Tolkien lore which I am sure to love, should make for a very pleasing exprience. Review scored be damned! (but I still hope it does well)

DrBo42

I can't find anything on New Game+ modes but we do know that you can influence difficulty by the way you approach challenges. from the AMA:

They also mentioned that the 'brand 5 warchiefs' mission they've demonstrated over and over should take about 2-3 hours on normal, non-demo difficulty. About the total playtime:

Thanks for that.

Hystzen

Sorry if been asked but can you remove the triangle or counter attack signal over enemies heads in settings. Similar to how batman removes it in harder difficulties. Also any news if can remove stuff from hud to clean it up a bit like assassins creed games

Xando

Sorry if been asked but can you remove the triangle or counter attack signal over enemies heads in settings. Similar to how batman removes it in harder difficulties. Also any news if can removed stuff from hud to clean it up a bit like assassins creed games

If i remember right they somewhere said you can turn the icons off in the menu, not 100% sure though.

DrBo42

Sorry if been asked but can you remove the triangle or counter attack signal over enemies heads in settings. Similar to how batman removes it in harder difficulties. Also any news if can remove stuff from hud to clean it up a bit like assassins creed games

Yes, confirmed on the stream.

Sorry if been asked but can you remove the triangle or counter attack signal over enemies heads in settings. Similar to how batman removes it in harder difficulties. Also any news if can removed stuff from hud to clean it up a bit like assassins creed games
This is nagging me as well. I usually don't mind UI elements but here there's something off even if I can't put my finger on it. It's like those ps4 prompts are too big.
It would be nice to have the combat prompt (the arkham counter) without the button icon. There's also that ideous cross button that appears mid-screen anytime you land for a sprint.

glottis8

Banned
I am so excited about this game. Just placed my digital preorder.

Been on media blackout for this game for quite a bit now.

Every time i see new screens or impressions this game seems to keep hyping up even more. I am excited to see the devs have confidence in their game and showcase it all over the place. Tons of media out there, streams and info.

Is the expansion pass worth while? i saw that there is one, but its not mentioned in the PSN Store atm. I think for preordering i got the legion edition or something like that.

TheFatMan

Pretty hyped for this game. Not as hyped as some other games coming out this year, but it should keep me busy along with Destiny until Advanced Warfare and Dragon Age get here!

lmbotiva

If anyone has the game on ps4 already please post impressions, specially about framerate, wanna know if the game uses locked vsync on soft vsync, screen tear has been present on pretty much every video I've seen but im hoping the final game gets rid of that

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Think I'll pre-order this now from US store to get it earlier

had it preordered from TGC for £37.95 but its more-or-less the same on US store

Although I have high hopes for this game, I feel like they've missed an opportunity by neglecting co-op.

Fellowships and travelling parties are one of the things I associate most with Tolkien's books, and fighting alongside living and breathing allies was one of the most enjoyable aspects of previous LotR games; such as Return of the King, War in the North, and Guardians of Middle Earth - LEGO Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit also do this well, but obviously have a much more whimsical take on the source material, and don't quite scratch the same itch.

Unless Monolith has some co-op DLC in the bag, or the chance to explore a sequel, it might be a while before we get to experience another well-made, big budget, cooperative LotR's game.

Either way, I am hyped, and my pre order has been placed.

Edit: Just remembered that LotR: The Third Age had co-op as well; which seemed unusual for an RPG, but proved much more interesting than playing it single player.

for anyone that wants it on PC, someone in the buy/sell/trade thread is doing a flash sale for the premium edition...30 dollars IIRC...if the sale is still happening that is

I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings series. I watched a few Shadow of Mordor videos but I'm having a bad feeling about this game. I hope I'm wrong waiting for impressions and reviews to make my decision about getting it

rybrad

The last Dark Souls DLC just got delayed, now the wait for this game is even worse! Someone needs to get WB to move the Steam release up to tomorrow, thanks in advance.

I had the same dilemma, but PC version is priced at 999 inr here, so that sealed the deal for me.

ironcreed

Banned
Something I would love to see in a future game, perhaps even a trilogy, is something based around Dagor Dagorath and the return of Morgoth. I doubt it will happen, but just imagine the possibilities in a fully open Middle-earth setting.

DrBo42

Something I would love to see in a future game, perhaps even a trilogy, is something based around Dagor Dagorath and the return of Morgoth. I doubt it will happen, but just imagine the possibilities in a fully open Middle-earth setting.

If this sells well you can bank on more games set in more locations. I say go for it, love the universe and want to explore as much of it as possible.

ironcreed

Banned
If this sells well you can bank on more games set in more locations. I say go for it, love the universe and want to explore as much of it as possible.

Yeah, just make a 'Middle-Earth' series. This is Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The next game can be Middle-Earth: (whatever). But I would really love to see something based on the return of Morgoth. Talk about fertile ground.

It's Monolith, the PC version will be just fine. I know not a lot of people know who Monolith are since they have been criminally underutilized the last few years, but they are an amazing developer. They started out as a PC developer, so they know their shit when it comes to making a good PC game. I would actually be rather shocked if this game wasn't PC first and ported to consoles.

Monolith constantly strive to make something fresh. They are the ones that gave us No One Lives Forever, FEAR, and Condemned. Since FEAR 2 they have been relegated to doing downloadable only games for some bizarre reason, but even then they managed to some interesting things with Gotham City Imposters and Guardians of Middle-Earth. While both games scored about average in the reviews department, they were both surprising for what they were. Nobody thought a Batman FPS was going to be any good at all, and it proved to be fairly decent. Likewise, they managed to pull off a well done console focused MOBA that sadly nobody played.

I am super excited to see Monolith back in true form. I have been a fan of theirs since the NOLF days, and it's been unfortunate how absent they have been. I hope this game does well enough to keep them going on bigger games for years to come.

I agree. If monolith can return to form this will be an amazing game.

Their NOLF and FEAR days were awesome.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Yeah, just make a 'Middle-Earth' series. This is Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. The next game can be Middle-Earth: (whatever). But I would really love to see something based on the return of Morgoth. Talk about fertile ground.
Anything pertaining to the First Age, Akallabêth and general 'Silmarillion material' is off limits for a long time to come. Any attempts to incorporate such material would incur the wroth of the Tolkien Estate who very recently served a cease and desist on the producers of a Fall of Gondolin film. New material pertaining to the aforementioned return of Melkor based on posthumously released notes by Christopher Tolkien would also be a cause for concern for the Estate. The producers of this game would be well advised to avoid such conflict. Peter Jackson and co have done well to avoid legal action for their projects thus far. Warner Bros though are currently embroiled in legal action with the Estate regarding merchandising.

ironcreed

Banned
Edmond Dantès;131186732 said:
Anything pertaining to the First Age, Akallabêth and general 'Silmarillion material' is off limits for a long time to come. Any attempts to incorporate such material would incur the wroth of the Tolkien Estate who very recently served a cease and desist on the producers of a Fall of Gondolin film. New material pertaining to the aforementioned return of Melkor based on posthumously released notes by Christopher Tolkien would also be a cause for concern for the Estate. The producers of this game would be well advised to avoid such conflict. Peter Jackson and co have done well to avoid legal action for their projects thus far. Warner Bros though are currently embroiled in legal action with the Estate regarding merchandising.

That is quite the shame. It would only serve to bring attention to the original work even more and would also give everyone a chance to experience it in different ways. Can't argue with family wishes, but it seems awfully selfish considering how loved the material is.

Top Bottom