• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Beast (PS4) being shown at PSN press event

Hydrargyrus

I have to say, in my defense, that I've never played a SotB game and I really don't know anything about the parallax, so the first thing I though when it was announced was a 3D action game instead a sidescroller (I'm not a big fan)...

Percy

Banned
I am genuinely confused by complaints about Shadow of the Beast being a 2D/2.5D sidescroller.

Setting aside that the announce trailer made that that's what it was pretty clear from the get go... what else were some of you actually thinking this was going to be?

Even if it was Gamescom, they made a big deal out of it.

Clearly more than just some PSN deal deserved.

The fuck is this?

Hanmik

looks like we will get some footage later this week.:! yes baby.:! my retro heart is still beating for this game.

Feindflug

Looks interesting art wise, can't wait to see gameplay from this.

Also lol at the guys that are pissed/disappointed that this is a 2D game. Some people have to realize that good games are good games regardless of budget, price or visual fidelity/complexity.

3D backgrounds > poor parallax substitute, surely. ;) (see Trine if you have any doubt)

3D is equivalent of infinite parallax layers after all ...

eso76

Looks interesting art wise

Some people have to realize that good games are good games regardless of budget, price or visual fidelity/complexity.

Yeah well, tbh though, when you take visuals away from the original SOTB you're left with a terrible game. I loved it back then, but even as a kid it was clear it was just its atmosphere, artstyle and music.

I don't even know what the appeal of a reboot would be or why even use the IP. The series doesn't even have its own idendity in the way of a lore, characters or gameplay mechanics.

I could see it working as a very high production values, spectacular GOW clone, with artstyle inspired by the original Roger Dean boxarts (which had a bigger role in estabilishing the game's aesthetics and charme than anything ingame). Mind you, working != selling

Yeah well, tbh though, when you take visuals away from the original SOTB you're left with a terrible game. I loved it back then, but even as a kid it was clear it was just its atmosphere, artstyle and music.

I don't even know what the appeal of a reboot would be or why even use the IP. The series doesn't even have its own idendity in the way of a lore, characters or gameplay mechanics.
Whether or not the game was any good, it made a huge impact at the time. Even not owning an Amiga, I'd heard about it, and then it got ported to everything under the sun. It is easily one of the strongest brands from the pre-PlayStation Psygnosis catalog, and will get a lot more attention because of the name than a new IP would.

Top Bottom