• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Xbox One X Enhancement trailer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the enhancements brought to Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the Xbox One X.

⚫ Native 4K Ultra HD gets you the highest gameplay resolution available on the market.
⚫ HDR compatibility means higher contrast and more vivid colors as Lara explores the lush landscapes of Central and South America.
⚫ True 3D Audio with full Dolby Atmos immerses the player with 360 audio spanning from the canopy to the jungle floor.
⚫ Customization options allow for prioritize high resolution, or high framerate.
⚫ Enhanced texture resolution results in a more lifelike world than ever before.

Last edited:

Unity2012

The game looks amazing. The xtra X enhancements do make a difference for 4K tv owners; and even for 1080P owners who will benefit from the downsampling quality. Reviews are out Monday morning but I have the feeling that if you are a TR fan you made up your mind already.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s a fucking tragedy that MS and Sony don’t do more to push the benefits of their more powerful consoles. The games that take full advantage of them are masterpieces.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This looks amazing. I'm glad I picked up an X recently. I will be playing in high resolution mode.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I was replying to the person above me. The only for sure difference between the pro and the X right now is X has Atmos, Sony won’t. The rest of the differences we have to wait for.

Maybe I should have quoted them and expanded my sentences to make it more clear.

I would say higher res texture will be on the X compared to the pro as that has happened in a fair few games given the X's extra memory

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This looks amazing. I'm glad I picked up an X recently. I will be playing in high resolution mode.

Same with me here! I recently bought an Xbox One X and have been very impressed with the machine. I also own a PS4 Pro but will buy the Xbox One version with X
enhancements
simply because I'm certain the Pro can't pull off the same performance. Basically the X will be my "go to" console for multi-platform titles as long
as they're hitting higher graphical fidelity.

This game looks to be like another "killer app" the Xbox One X needs to help move consoles. Forza 7(own it) was jaw dropping beautiful and now we have Tomb Raider.

I'll also be playing in "High Resolution" mode as well. It's why I bought a 4k/HDR television. That 4k/HDR bump from 1080p is a HUGE difference IMO that's worth the time
and money to upgrade to if you haven't already.

Welcome back Laura!

It's going to look awesome on the X1X.

That bit on HDR in the article is great, and I agree most all games need to utilize it. It is such a great feature.

Darak

What I don't like about Atmos is how it only works through HDMI, which is less than ideal since going through a receiver introduces input lag and compatibility issues. I don't know if this is an Xbox thing or is something by design in Atmos. To be honest I think every audio innovation introduced after 5.1 has been disappointing, and even 5.1 itself is somewhat overrated (I prefer good 2.1 speakers instead of crappy 5.1 ones, even for games and movies).

The game itself looks much better than previous showings in this footage.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s fair to say. I’ve heard some people say that both versions are close to high settings on PC even if you choose 60fps mode.

I’m waiting to see before I pass judgement. But I will guess that it’s meta will be close to a certain other game that just came out. (86-89)

This game or the last game you referring to?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's the difference between Xbox One enhancements and Xbox One X Enhancement?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What's the difference between Xbox One enhancements and Xbox One X Enhancement?

There is no such thing as Xbox One enhancement. It’s a phrase used for games optimized for the One X

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What I don't like about Atmos is how it only works through HDMI, which is less than ideal since going through a receiver introduces input lag and compatibility issues. I don't know if this is an Xbox thing or is something by design in Atmos. To be honest I think every audio innovation introduced after 5.1 has been disappointing, and even 5.1 itself is somewhat overrated (I prefer good 2.1 speakers instead of crappy 5.1 ones, even for games and movies).

The game itself looks much better than previous showings in this footage.
HD audio has been running through HDMI for over 10 years. Optical cable does not have the bandwidth to handle lossless audio (Atmos, TrueHD). HDMI for HD audio is pretty much here to stay. Bluetooth might change in the future.

Last edited:
Nice. I wonder how it will compare to it on the ps4 pro.

Pro version will probably be 1800P and up-scaled to 4K using checkerboard technique. Also the HDR features should be included too if you have the appropriate TV or monitor. The 4K textures however will probably not be in the Pro version since the 8GB of RAM is not enough for these types of assets.

Whitecrow

Banned
All the tech you knew from 2 years ago, presented to you as if it was new and exclusive for XBOX.

They dont know how to sell the game, do they?

-ok guys, we need a selling trailer, what can we show?
-innovation from previous games?
-nah, we dont do that here
-new tech?
-what's that?
-ok, just state the obvious and expected
-great idea! I knew we hired you for something
-= )

Last edited:
Big TR fan since the original on ps1.

Just letting this out here so that you folks can whet the appetite. Absolutely brilliant soundtrack.

Last edited:
All the tech you knew from 2 years ago, presented to you as if it was new and exclusive for XBOX.

-new tech?
-what's that?
-= )

You seem pretty ticked off. Is the platform you're getting it on not gonna support the features listed? Who am I kidding, you're probably not even getting the game and just came here to troll.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
@0:19 I was like "JONAH IS BACK! YES!"

@1:04 I was like "THAT'S NOT JONAH WTF!"

But it is Jonah, you can tell from the tattoo on his arm and necklace. He looks more like in the first game than RotTR, but disproportionately older. They keep messing with the look of the characters too much.

Oh well, I'm glad her boo is back. He seemed to be checking out at the end of RotTR, but true love doesn't give up so easily!

Last edited:

LordPezix

YES! YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

Lara if a fucking OG badass!

My body is ready!

Just bought a 4k tv with an xbox1x and I am looking forward to see how juicy this looks in HDR!

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I have this game preordered on Steam with a birthday gift card. I've got a 1080ti-equipped PC. Is there any reason to refund and get the X1X version? PC is next to a 4K LGC7 OLED, so I can technically get comfy couch (after some fiddling) from my PC. Is there anything in the X1X version of the game that should tilt me towards it?

I have this game preordered on Steam with a birthday gift card. I've got a 1080ti-equipped PC. Is there any reason to refund and get the X1X version? PC is next to a 4K LGC7 OLED, so I can technically get comfy couch (after some fiddling) from my PC. Is there anything in the X1X version of the game that should tilt me towards it?

If you have a 1080ti, then you should be able to run the game even better than on X1X. Heck, I'm pretty sure you can get 4K/60fps running if you have a good CPU to match in your PC. I'm not sure if HDR is console exclusive though, so you might need to look that up.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
If you have a 1080ti, then you should be able to run the game even better than on X1X. Heck, I'm pretty sure you can get 4K/60fps running if you have a good CPU to match in your PC. I'm not sure if HDR is console exclusive though, so you might need to look that up.

That's one thing I was thinking about - and I can't seem to find HDR support officially listed anywhere on the PC version, so I'm very tempted to just grab the X1X version. This is kind of why I bought an X1X. And, ROTTR was fantastic on the X1X, so I imagine Shadow will be the same.

consoul

From the trailer:
"PLAY IN HIGH RESOLUTION
OR HIGH FRAME RATE"

I can't believe they're really calling this out as if having to make this choice is a fantastic feature.

mad597

Banned

-new tech?
-what's that?
-= )
PSPro isnt getting atmos, high res textures, native 4k mode or a 60fps mode. Sorry you are salty about that but you can blame Sony and their half assed mid gen refresh on that.

From the trailer:
"PLAY IN HIGH RESOLUTION
OR HIGH FRAME RATE"

I can't believe they're really calling this out as if having to make this choice is a fantastic feature.
But it is an insanely great feature for current consoles. How do you not recognize that?

Last edited:

Kacho

PSPro isnt getting atmos, high res textures, native 4k mode or a 60fps mode. Sorry you are salty about that but you can blame Sony and their half assed mid gen refresh on that.

Has this been confirmed about the Pro?

mad597

Banned
Has this been confirmed about the Pro?
Yes I have confirmed it cause these are things the pro is not powerful enough to support for this game.

You aren't getting atmos, high res textures, native 4k or a 60 fps mode on the pro

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You seem pretty ticked off. Is the platform you're getting it on not gonna support the features listed? Who am I kidding, you're probably not even getting the game and just came here to troll.
Oh my god. There's some amazing damage control here. I'm not even wasting my time to explain anything.

Because there are obvious harmful truths one could throw to you, but for the sake of keeping it civil, I let you stay on your bubble.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Where did you read this exactly? I'd love to see a link.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes I have confirmed it cause these are things the pro is not powerful enough to support for this game.

You aren't getting atmos, high res textures, native 4k or a 60 fps mode on the pro

am sure the pro will get a 60fps mode. it may not be as high res as X but it will get one and yes I am an xbox owner not a playstation owner

mad597

Banned
am sure the pro will get a 60fps mode. it may not be as high res as X but it will get one and yes I am an xbox owner not a playstation owner
PS Pro isn't getting a 720p 60fps mode which is probably what it would take for the Pro. The X 60fps mode is 1080p

mad597

Banned
Where did you read this exactly? I'd love to see a link.

It's called concluding the obvious. Pro doesn't support Atmos, doesn't have the extra memory for high res textures. Doesn't have the GPU for native 4k and doesn't have the CPU for a 60fps mode.

This isn't rocket science

Top Bottom