• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Xbox One X Enhancement trailer.

mad597

Banned
Oh my god. There's some amazing damage control here. I'm not even wasting my time to explain anything.

Because there are obvious harmful truths one could throw to you, but for the sake of keeping it civil, I let you stay on your bubble.

Damage control? Uh Pro is going to get the inferior version it's logical it's going to miss out on the items I mentioned. How is it damage control when it's getting the better version?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's called concluding the obvious. Pro doesn't support Atmos, doesn't have the extra memory for high res textures. Doesn't have the GPU for native 4k and doesn't have the CPU for a 60fps mode.

This isn't rocket science
Of course it wouldn't have Atmos or native 4K.

Darak

HD audio has been running through HDMI for over 10 years. Optical cable does not have the bandwidth to handle lossless audio (Atmos, TrueHD). HDMI for HD audio is pretty much here to stay. Bluetooth might change in the future.

That's true, but there is no reason why the Toslink specs can't be upgraded like HDMI has been. Those bandwidth limits are just a product of the connection protocol (otherwise optical would be 100x faster, since it's light vs electrons). Well, there is one good reason why optical audio cables are being faded out: DRM. HDMI is heavily tainted by patents and protection systems and Toslink is not, so...

In any case, my gripe is about using the same cable to handle both audio and video, since most people should have a different device for each thing (TV speakers suck). At this point this means you route your video through a receiver, which is going to decode the signal and encode it again to send it to the TV, more often than not messing things up in the process.

It's called concluding the obvious. Pro doesn't support Atmos, doesn't have the extra memory for high res textures. Doesn't have the GPU for native 4k and doesn't have the CPU for a 60fps mode.

This isn't rocket science
If the One X can run it at 60 fps the Pro can do it as well. The One X only has marginally faster CPU.

onlyoneno1

The enhancements are nice and all but for me gameplay is king and it feels great to see the return of the grappling hook.

Discusguy

Game looks phenomenal. This will definitely be my holiday game on the X. I don’t think I’ll be finished with DQXI for another few months.

mad597

Banned
If the One X can run it at 60 fps the Pro can do it as well. The One X only has marginally faster CPU.

Yea maybe at 720p with reduced AI and N64 textures which. I doubt they would do.

The X 60fps mode is 1080p does anyone seriously think they are going to further gimp the game for the Pro to have a mode like this?

It's not going to happen

phil_t98

#SonyToo
PS Pro isn't getting a 720p 60fps mode which is probably what it would take for the Pro. The X 60fps mode is 1080p

I think you need to look back at Rise of the Tomb Raider which did indeed get a 60fps 1080p mode. all possibitlitys of this one getting the same but with greater cutbacks to achieve this

mad597

Banned
I think you need to look back at Rise of the Tomb Raider which did indeed get a 60fps 1080p mode. all possibitlitys of this one getting the same but with greater cutbacks to achieve this

It's not going to happen sorry, keep clutching though, the pro didn't get a 60fps mode it just got unlocked frame rate mode. If you want to make yourself feel better calling an uncapped mode 60fps mode then go right ahead and curl up with that Sony Blankey

Last edited:

SonGoku

Yea maybe
The X 60fps mode is 1080p does anyone seriously think they are going to further gimp the game for the Pro to have a mode like this?

It's not going to happen
It really depends of how many gpu resources are idle for the x at 1080p.
I can see pro running 60 fps anywhere from 720p to 900p with same graphics settings. Though fps might be more unstable due to slightly lower cpu clocks

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's not going to happen sorry, keep clutching though, the pro didn't get a 60fps mode it just got unlocked frame rate mode. If you want to make yourself feel better calling an uncapped mode 60fps mode then go right ahead and curl up with that Sony Blankey

Seethis is where you are wrong it will 100% have a highframerate mode and as for the Sony blankey you will find I own an X and no sony console.

Whitecrow

Banned

The effort you are putting into making pro owners feel bad is sad, and also useless. You must be so pissed off. But I know why. You may get the power, but that's it. We have other things, like, you know, new games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The effort you are putting into making pro owners feel bad is sad, and also useless. You must be so pissed off. But I know why. You may get the power, but that's it. We have other things, like, you know, new games.

I know you didn’t start it, but please don’t hop on the bait and continue to drain this thread down the line.

pawel86ck

Banned
Any word if the 4k rez is dynamic?
IF it is static; its a mighty impressive feat
Even if it's dynamic it will make no difference. I have played many xbox X games with 4K dynamic and perceived
quality looked the same as 4K native on my PC (1080ti). For example gears of war 4 has dynamic 4K resolution on xbox X, but because Digital Foundry didnt tested that game people dont even realize it's dynamic and no one complains. IMO 1800p is more than enough, and I would rather see 1800p on xbox x with better effects and shadows details, than 4K native with worse graphics fidelity. I consider 4K native a totall waste of GPU resources, that resolution is simply too high for human eyesight. People with very good eyesight 20/20 have to sit 100cm next to 55inch HDTV in order to see all the details, who play games like that LOL. 4K marketing push is absurd.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As someone with a beastly PC now I must agree 4k is a waste most of the time. I use it on WoW because other settings are the most impactful parts, but I have to physically move up on the monitor to see the actual detail benefits I’m getting. It’s insane. Otherwise 1800p is imperceptible and 1440p is only slightly less crisp in comparison. For most PC games I play 1440p for better framerates. If one can do it with dynamic or checkerboard, being a purist is just a matter of pride rather than real impact. I don’t think 4k will be a worthwhile improvement of fidelity in motion for the performance cost until we can do it at least 120fps with blur reduction.

Edit 5th time: omg I hate typing on the phone

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

As someone with a beastly PC now I must agree 4k is a waste most of the time. I ise it on WoW because other settings are the most impactful parts, but I have to physically move up on the monitor to see the actual detail benefits I’m getting. It’s insane. Otherwise 1800p is imperceptible and 1440p is only slightly blurry in comparison. For most PC games I play 1440p for netter framerates. If one can do it with dynamic or checkerboard, being a purist is just a matter of pride rather than real impact.
Yeah, it's more a show off thing that you can play in 4K with high fps for me atm. >.>

Though the HDR monitor does make a noticeable difference for me.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Even if it's dynamic it will make no difference. I have played many xbox X games with 4K dynamic and perceived
quality looked the same as 4K native on my PC (1080ti). .
chill im just asking because im curious whether is dynamic or not

nowhat

In any case, my gripe is about using the same cable to handle both audio and video, since most people should have a different device for each thing (TV speakers suck). At this point this means you route your video through a receiver, which is going to decode the signal and encode it again to send it to the TV, more often than not messing things up in the process.
You are aware of HDMI ARC, right?

Darak

You are aware of HDMI ARC, right?

Yes, it doesn't support Atmos though. I think eARC, the next iteration, should, but I think it's not out yet (or it's very recent and not supported by most hardware in any case).

I actually have my PS4 using ARC right now, which works fine, but doesn't give me any improvements compared to just using the optical cable and also wastes one TV HDMI port (and I have precious few of those). It was also a nightmare to setup, which was unexpected because it was supposed to be a plug & play procedure.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's true, but there is no reason why the Toslink specs can't be upgraded like HDMI has been. Those bandwidth limits are just a product of the connection protocol (otherwise optical would be 100x faster, since it's light vs electrons). Well, there is one good reason why optical audio cables are being faded out: DRM. HDMI is heavily tainted by patents and protection systems and Toslink is not, so...

Most modern receivers have a passthrough function for video which eliminates all processing by the receiver.

Top Bottom