• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Satterfield: Wii U will cost $299

I'm not grading wii u's launch lineup against anyone else's. I'm grading it on whether I think it's good enough to warrant me spending a large amount of money on it this fall and I'm just not seeing it. PS2 having a shit launch lineup really doesn't have anything to do with this.

This is a good point. The same way Vita's lineup being better than the 3DS's launch doesn't mean crap when it's competing against other platforms. I think 299 is decent though for what the system offers. I'm more interested in the 3rd party offerings. P-100 (although I guess this is Nintendo published) ,Rayman, and Zombi U make for a good launch period to me. I'm bored with the current systems anyway and most my purchases got pushed to 2013

I'm not grading wii u's launch lineup against anyone else's. I'm grading it on whether I think it's good enough to warrant me spending a large amount of money on it this fall and I'm just not seeing it. PS2 having a shit launch lineup really doesn't have anything to do with this.

Good point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo Land? No thanks
Project P-100? No thanks
Zombi U? No thanks
Rayman Legends (it will be on all other platforms 6 months later)
Pikmin 3? Looks like a GC/Wii game (because it is)
NSMB U is the only thing that is close to appealing for me.

Hey look who is back!

Alchemy

I'll get one on launch because I'm a fucking idiot with disposable income, and the only game I can see getting is NSMB U. Pikmin 3 is a stretch if I clear my backlog, but not a must have or system seller for me. Vita had a more interesting launch to me by a mile and people criticized it for a lack of games like crazy.

zroid

Banned
WiiU_Pikmin3_2_scrn09_E3.jpg

^ Gamecube game people

damn dude, why did I get rid of my GameCube. Never knew that thing was such a beast!

by that logic no system is worth the money

test_account

XP-39C²
Iwata basically just said, "We learned our lesson from 3DS pricing!"
The question is if what Nintendo thinks the consumers will see as a high price. Nintendo might think that they offer enough value in the WiiU that the consumers will think it is more than fair to pay $350. That said, i think it will be $299.

Well in my case, No launch has been worth my money since the SNES :p

I usually wait a year or 2 before i get involved in "next gen" because there is rarely enough content worth plunking the money down for and id rather wait for a price drop/bundle package when there is a lot more content before diving into it.

Foffy

Banned
Well honestly, buying at launch is usually a surefire way to get burned.

It depends. If there's a game that seems worthwhile at launch, it seems fair. I learned my lesson with 3DS and Vita. If Pikmin 3, P-100, and NSMBU are out within the first three months of the system, that's three more games that interest me than what I found on 3DS and Vita at their launches.

Derrick01

Banned

At launch? You're more right than not. There's usually a few interesting looking games but I'm not seeing it with this. A $50 2D platformer and Pikmin isn't going to make me rush out and spend $300+

I'm getting a 3DS anyway so I'll still be spending hundreds this fall on Nintendo, just not on their console.

zroid

Banned

I suppose because of the lack of a significant graphical boost over current gen, a lot of people don't see any reason to buy this new console.

Horsepower isn't really my barometer for how I judge consoles, so eh... but that's me.

mollipen

From my time playing the Wii U, $299 is way, way too expensive. But, I'll be fair and say I'm not the target audience for this thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
damn dude, why did I get rid of my GameCube. Never knew that thing was such a beast!
I might be mistaken, but i think that screenshot is from Pikmin 3. I havnt played the Pikmin games before, but i believe to have read that stone pikmin (which is shown in the screenshot? or are they just carrying stones?) is first being introduced in Pikmin 3.

From my time playing the Wii U, $299 is way, way too expensive. But, I'll be fair and say I'm not the target audience for this thing.

Well considering the controller and system specs that around what we expect they probably aren't making a lot of money at 299.

The question is if what Nintendo thinks the consumers will see as a high price. Nintendo might think that they offer enough value in the WiiU that the consumers will think it is more than fair to pay $350. That said, i think it will be $299.

Their estimate of that value would have to be in line with other currently available consoles, wouldn't it? (Note to self: Nintendo thought it was a good idea to end an E3 conference with NintendoLand.)

Drago

I might be mistaken, but i think that screenshot is from Pikmin 3. I havnt played the Pikmin games before, but i believe to have read that stone pikmin (which is shown in the screenshot? or are they just carrying stones?) is first being introduced in Pikmin 3.

He's joking :p

Orayn

Reposting my prediction spectrum.

Very Pessimistic: >$350
Pessimistic: >$300
Neutral: $300, no pack-in game
Optimistic: $300, pack-in Nintendoland
Very optimistic: <$300

zroid

Banned

I was kidding! Yeah, Rock Pikmin look neat.

You want them to launch this 50 dollars less than the current price of a PS3?

To spin it another way, it would be $30 more than a 3DS, which I feel would be cannibalizing their handheld market.

$300 seems like a good launch price. Nintendo fans are going to buy it either way, and you may be able to persuade some people who still do not have a PS3 or 360 to go with the WiiU as well due to the price parity and slightly improved graphics. I don't think many people that already own a 360 or PS3 are going to be persuaded at this price point, but if Nintendo can put out at least 3 killer apps in the first year, I think they can move this thing. And I would definitely expect a price drop within the first year of release if this thing doesn't hit the way they are hoping.

test_account

XP-39C²
Their estimate of that value would have to be in line with other currently available consoles, wouldn't it? (Note to self: Nintendo thought it was a good idea to end an E3 conference with NintendoLand.)
No idea to be honest. They could be looking at the value in that way too yeah, compared to the other systems already out there.

He's joking :p
I was kidding! Yeah, Rock Pikmin look neat.
Ah ok :)

To spin it another way, it would be $30 more than a 3DS, which I feel would be cannibalizing their handheld market.

$300 seems like a good launch price. Nintendo fans are going to buy it either way, and you may be able to persuade some people who still do not have a PS3 or 360 to go with the WiiU as well due to the price parity and slightly improved graphics. I don't think many people that already own a 360 or PS3 are going to be persuaded at this price point, but if Nintendo can put out at least 3 killer apps in the first year, I think they can move this thing. And I would definitely expect a price drop within the first year of release if this thing doesn't hit the way they are hoping.

Well from the announced lineup so far, it seems like it would be hard to get PS3/360 owners to buy into it if they didn't like Nintendo before, but then again maybe they are willing to buy anything with how long this gen has dragged on. Just looks at the enthusiasm for something like Ouya

ohlawd

$299 with a launch window game like Pikmin 3. Anyone who has played Pikmin 2 has every reason to be hyped.

Oh man can't wait. Forget all y'all.

chris3116

$300 is a good price for launching a console. New Super Mario Bros Wii U will be a system seller. As for myself, I might not get it at launch. I never had any console at launch and I have more things to do this year.

apana

This is a very reasonable price. I won't be getting one at launch though, I have a PS3/Wii and want to play as many games as I can before I move on. Also 3DS XL is looking good, that will probably be my holiday purchase. I'll show up for 3D Mario or Zelda.

Owzers

I plan to buy a 3ds XL and rent RE Revelations and Mario 3D Land from gamefly, then rent RE 6, Assassin's Creed 3, Dishonored, NBA 2k13, and Halo 4 this fall. Nowhere in my gaming plans do i want to budget $300 for another current-gen system. Then again, i still haven't gotten around to playing my copy of Pikmin 2 on gamecube :O

Top Bottom