• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Share your favorite character(s) from long-running fighting game series

ScOULaris

I have a long off-and-on history with the fighting game genre, dating back to the halcyon days of its arcade dominance in the early-to-mid 90's. One thing that has always drawn me to the genre is its strong focus on distinct characters and the application of their unique abilities. Tons of iconic characters have been spawned by the various fighting game series that remain popular to this very day, after dozens of sequels, iterations, and reboots.

Looking back over the past few decades of one-off fighting games, enduring series, crossover titles with licensed characters... etc., there is a staggering number of characters who call this genre home. I'd like to hear about all of your favorites from each of the games or series that you've enjoyed over the years. I'm especially looking forward to being reminded of some of the more obscure characters from games past that have slipped my mind.

I'll start us off with some of mine to give us sort of a template to work off of. Let's try to segment our favorite characters by series, preferably narrowing down our top pick to only one or two per series. Maybe at the end of this thread we can comb through it and see if there's any sort of meaningful throughline with regard to the types of character designs that appeal to players.

Mortal Kombat series - Reptile

4017364-7416675508-16572.png
Biorep_22.gif
Reptile3b.jpg
mk20107.png

While time (and the MK team) have not always been kind to Reptile over the years (thanks to some horrible redesigns along the way), Reptile has been my favorite MK character ever since his appearance in MK1 as a secret character. My love for Reptile began when a friend of mine showed me how to find him in the SNES release of MK1. I was young at the time, and this was the first time I'd come across a hidden character in a video game. The MK games back in their arcade heyday were amazing at inciting discussion about secrets, hidden characters and moves, and an assortment of rumors that would eventually prove to be false before being implemented by the MK team in future games (e.g. animalities, brutalities... etc.). I adored all of the mystery and gossip that surrounded the MK games and that whole scene in the 90's, and Reptile was an early embodiment of that attribute of the series.

The fact that he was my favorite color (green), the way he'd he would pop up at random times and give cryptic clues, his lair being the bottom of The Pit, him having the moves of both Scorpion and Sub-Zero... it was all just too cool for my five-year-old mind. He became even better in MK2 and beyond when they made him a playable character and fleshed him out with his own backstory and moveset that reflected his secret, reptilian nature.

Street Fighter mainline series - Akuma

When Akuma made his debut in SF2: Turbo, I had a similar reaction toward him as I did to Reptile. Here again we had a hidden AI character who was a palette-swap of sorts of the two most iconic characters in the game (Ryu/Ken) only with an overpowered moveset and more badass attitude. Much like Reptile in MK1, Akuma was no joke when you managed to unlock the fight against him, and that just drove home how cool/powerful he was compared to the rest of the cast. As he's been fleshed out throughout every other iteration of the mainline SF games over the years, I have continued to appreciate the flashy, glass-cannon character that he's become. He still sports the intimidating look that made him stand out to begin with, and trademark abilities like his air fireballs and Raging Demon make him a unique, iconic character all his own.

Tekken Series series - Bryan

I've never played the Tekken games seriously, but I have dabbled a little in all of the mainline entries. Over the years the Tekken roster has grown to be absolutely humongous, but in every new iteration I find myself favoring Bryan among my shifting roster of preferred characters. I'm not entirely sure what it is about his design or moveset that appeals to me so much, but there is just something deliciously brutal about the way he looks and is animated. He seems to throw everything with very bad intentions. All of his attacks carry a confident-but-quick heft behind them that I find really clicks with the way that I play Tekken. This was a tough one to narrow down as I have a few other characters that are also consistently among my favorites, but Bryan narrowly edges out the rest for the purposes of this thread.

Soul Calibur series - Maxi

I've never been a hardcore SC by any stretch of the imagination, so my reasons for choosing Maxi are more straightforward/shallow than some of the others I've mentioned thus far. Quite simply, I've just always been impressed by Maxi's nunchaku animations. While other characters in the series have more interesting overall designs, I find myself transfixed and ceaselessly impressed by the Maxi's incredible animation. I can only imagine that animating two independent nunchucks and all of the movements associated with them must be incredibly difficult, especially considering how quickly one move transitions into a number of others in this genre.

Maxi is kind of like the SC equivalent of Eddy Gordo for me. It's fun to both watch and play as him because the flashy animation work on display is nothing short of amazing.

Guilty Gear series - Johnny

For me, it is an unforgivable sin that Arc System Works decided to leave Johnny out of GG: Xrd. While I understand that Xrd is meant to be an initial reboot of the series, I'd make the argument that Johnny was essential/iconic enough to have made the cut for this first true sequel in over a decade. He's my favorite mainly because he's just cool as shit, and I really like his play style. Flicking coins to build up his specials is a great mechanic unique to him, and I like that he has slow movement speed that contrasts with the fast, flashy nature of his moves. Guilty Gear is home to some of the most creative character designs in the genre, so for Johnny to be my favorite among them speaks highly of the character.

Other Favorites

• Samurai Shodown - Genjuro
  • The Last Blade - Setsuna
  • King of Fighters - Kim

I'll give it a rest for now. I look forward to hearing all of your favorites. I know that there's a sizeable, passionate fighting game fanbase here on GAF, so I expect some quality write-ups. Pictures and anecdotal stories as to how characters became your favorites are highly encourage.

It was really hard just picking one character per series for my OP, so I'll gladly participate in praising other characters as they are mentioned in the thread. I'm in the mood to celebrate the rich history of the genre and the sprawling rosters of characters that have amassed over the decades.

Anna, Tekken

anna-williams-tekken5.jpg

I really don't like all the focus given to Nina in the series. I usually prefer underrepresented characters like Anna. I also prefer her outfits like her default and that octopus one from Tekken Tag 2.

JayEH

Does this count? There's been 3 games so far lol.

Anyway, it's Dio from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. ZA WARUDO can't be top.

If I'm picking from a more mainstream and long running fighting game, it would probably be Scorpion just because he looks badass.

dio-portraitx.gif

Il post pics later but most favorites always end up being either military based or wearing military gear:

Dragunov

Bryan Fury

Rolento

Sodom was always a weird entity I could get into, I don't know why though

Really into most of the Rival Schools cast, mainly Daigo and Shoma

Yuri Sakazaki and Li Xiangfei

Yuri being from every single KoF game and Art of fighting 2.
Li Xiangfei from Real bout 2 KoF 99, 2001 and 2002 UM.

I like Li Xiangfei more than Yuri only by a hair but she has been in so few games its criminal.

synchronicity

Gold Member
41Y43NcmLjL._SX466_.jpg

I know she's new to the Virtua Fighter universe, but I really love her fighting style. I pretty much played exclusively with her in VF5FS.

41Y43NcmLjL._SX466_.jpg

I know she's new to the Virtua Fighter universe, but I really love her fighting style. I pretty much played exclusively with her in VF5FS.

My man.
She is all I used in VF5 Online (360 version of VF5). She has a really unique fighting style for a 3D fighting game character.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder how many people realize where my name comes from...

...and how disappointed I am that Capcom hasn't brought him back. :(

Great idea!

Here's my favourite three...

Super Smash Bros Series - Wario
main.png

Now, admittedly, Wario IS my favourite video game character, so it's natural that I'd pick him. Though while I usually prefer Wario Land, I absolutely endorse the decision of going with Warioware for his moveset design. Instead of getting a typical brawler, we got an interesting, bizarre and unorthodox character that is so unlike everyone else in the series.

Wario in Brawl was an aerial god. He was absolutely uncontested when it comes to aerial combat. His combination of having the best aerial mobility and fast aerials made him rule the air. Thanks to having triple the aerial acceleration of every other character, he could shift his aerial momentum at any time without any speed loss, making him able to just zip left and right in the air with ease. Because of this, his playstyle was so interesting. He was practically a punisher kind of character that excelled at baiting opponents by being completely slippery thanks to his aerial mobility and bizarre attacks. He, however, lacked proper approaches because his reach is very, very poor. In a sense, he's a very defensive character that demands your patience. What I liked most about him however is how pretty most of his attacks had their own usage and complemented each other. Aside from his down smash which was down right awful, all of his other attacks saw regular use. He was FUN. Like absolutely, insanely fun and I couldn't have it any other way. Extremely well designed character through and through, only marred by some of the broken stuff in the mechanics that he was very vulnerable to.

In Smash 4, while still fun...isn't as fun. He's still very mobile in the air, mind you, but his aerial acceleration got a huge hit. Coupled with the fact that two of his changed moves (FSmash and USmash) had a lot of start up and end lag, really made him feel a lot more...sluggish. I do appreciate the change for his Bike and Bite, but he's more..."standard", if you get what I mean. Still my favourite designed character in the game, though, but I miss Brawl Wario already.

Street Fighter Series - M.Bison

I started getting into traditional fighting games with Street Fighter 4 and it's all because of this guy. Was just very intrigued by his moveset design, so I gave the series a go. While initially it was difficult to get into at first because he was a charge character, I stuck with him and I don't regret any of it.

What he lacked in options he made up with a fantastic spacing game and incredible footsies. Bison was a careful character and that just made him all the more fun with him. He's purely a fundamentals character, so learning him was a joyful experience in getting into Street Fighter. I can't comment on his SF2 iterations since admittedly I've yet to play them (I play Third Strike, don't worry! Even if it doesn't have Bison), but I loooove him in Street Fighter 4. Even after his nerfs I kept coming back to him because I'm just so comfortable with the way he plays. I'm actually not sure why I got a liking to the character actually. He was always my favourite of mine even before I played a Street Fighter game.

Tekken Series - Steve Fox
180px-Steve_t5.jpg

OK, I'm actually absolutely awful at Tekken and I have absolutely no understanding of it nor have I put the time to actually get into it even though I constantly play a little of it here and there. However, as someone who boxes for a hobby, Steve Fox's design just hits all the right note with me. Unlike Balrog and Little Mac, Steve Fox does the sport justice (while the two I mentioned are pretty...ehhh, especially Mac). Everything from his animations, to the way he plays and his complex playstyle, he's just a love letter to boxing. Yes, I recognize his boxing style is very exaggerated and very influenced by Hajime no Ippo (not that I mind), but I can't deny that he's just the boxing character I always wanted in a fighting game. If there's any reason I'm still playing Tekken, it's this guy (and Alex. He's a dinosaur wearing boxing gloves!), and one day I'll actually learn how to use him, because I know he's very fun and I'll appreciate him even more if I put the time into learning him proper. One day.

Honourable mentions:
Solid Snake - Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Dudley - Street Fighter Third Strike
Alex - Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Arthur - Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Phoenix Wright - Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

GIANT POST INBOUND IM SORRY

Mortal Kombat-

Sub Zero:

Smoke/Robot Smoke:

Marvel Vs Capcom 3-

Iron Man:

Dr. Doom:

Trish:

Soul Calibur-

Siegfried:

Taki:

Zasalamel:

Yoshimitsu:

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax:

Labrys:

Sho "Maximum Edgemaster" Minazuki:

Killer Instinct-

Fulgore:

Blazblue-

Makoto Nanaya (Love the character, the outfit's super dumb):

Kagura Mutsuki:

Super Smash Bros-

Captain Falcon:

Ganondorf:

Sheik:

I maaaaay have gone a little overboard.

gngf123

Not including brand new characters:

Street Fighter: Gief, Akuma, Yang
KOF: Iori, Kim, K'
Guilty Gear: Slayer

Smash: Marth

Mdesilva

If we're just talking long-running FG series…

…then my favorite Street Fighter character is Decapre, because I'm a hipster or something I guess.

Nah, she's just really fun to use and I like her design, even though it's not that different from Cammy's. And her character is pretty cool too.

If we're talking about any fighting game series then I also really like Eltnum in Under Night in-Birth, Kokonoe in Blazblue, and Yukari in Persona 4 Ultimate. Before I consider how they play, I always pick characters with designs that I like, and as a result they're usually all female.

sublimit

Banned
Tekken is the only fighting series that i follow since Tekken 3 (although i skipped TT2.)

Bryan and Xiaoyu are my favorite characters.I hated Bryan's voice and how he looked in Tekken 6 though.

King of Fighters: Mai, Terry, Clark, Kim, Andy, Joe, Iori, Alba, Lien, King, Yuri, Billy Kane & Ryo
Street Fighter: Cammy, Guy, Vega, Chun-Li, R. Mika & C. Viper
Dead or Alive: Bayman, Hayabusa, Helena & Lisa
Virtua Fighter: Goh, Kage & Sarah
Soul Calibur: Taki, Shura, Hwang, Maxi, Mitsurugi & Edge Master
Mortal Kombat: Sub Zero, Kung Lao, Ermac, Rain & Kano
Tekken: Paul, Bob, Raven, King & Steve
Killer Instinct: Glacius & Fulgore

Puru

Guilty Gear: May
Dolfins, Whales, Loli pirate, cute animation, really enjoyable moveset, probably the character i like the most in this gendra, she has no flaw.

Soul Calibur:
Nightmare / Lizardman
Both had enjoyable moveset. Lizardman being a lizard also was a factor back then i won't deny it. Nightmare just looks good, dark knight at it's best.

KoF: Ralf
Honestly i only picked him up because of how he played. Though i'll admit i grew to like his rambo look.

Blazblue:
Platinum the Trinity / Hazama
Similar to May she has cute animation, ridiculous looking attacks, and i find her enjoyable to play.
Troll master was chosen because of his moveset and because he looks classy.

Melty Blood: Neko Arc Choas / Yumiduka Satsuki
Both Neko Arc and Chaos were just plain ridiculous so i had to use them, i automatically think of them when i hear about this game, such dumb looking cats. Satsuki was just fun to play, i also liked the looks of her attacks, she looks plain though.

Killer Instinct:
Fulgor / Glacius
Honestly back then i only cared about the looks of my characters so i picked those two guys and enjoyed them.

Dead Or Alive: Hitomi
Fun to play, that's it.

Smash Bros: Rondoudou (Jigglypuff i think it's called in english) and Mewtwo
Mewtwo had an interesting set of attacks, i loved is up throw, i miss him so much. Also it was the ultimate Pokemon, and as i liked Pokemon alot back then the choice was obvious.
Rondoudou was just fun to play with, that sleep attack was the best thing ever. Again Pokemon was a drug back then.
Note that i never played this game seriously, it was just dumb fun with friends or family.

Powerstone: Jack
I liked how he looks the most, again in this game i just wanted to have some dumb fun so i just picked whoever i wanted.

I only listed games i played a decent amount of time.

For Street Fighter, it's M. Bison (Dictator) without a doubt. When I first started playing Super Turbo, I kind of leaned towards characters like Ken and Sagat, but then I tried Bison and well, nothing was the same. He's still one of my favorites in 4 and I love his whole gameplay style. His long legs and safe scissor-kick as well as Hell's Reverse shenanigans just make him a super fun character to play as. Playing as Bison really taught me to appreciate charge characters and fundamentals and that has helped me a lot in other games. I love his design too, his smile is so charming.

If I were to choose another favorite, I'd probably say Oro or Yun.

For Marvel vs. Capcom, Doctor Doom is my boy. Whether we're talking 2 or 3, he's just one of the most fun characters to play as IMO. In 2 I loved his rock assist and using Strider/Sent/Doom to control the tempo of a match but I really liked playing as him too! His cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp string was just a fun string to tap out and I loved his air hcbAA super. Of course, I love him in 3 too. The ability to dash cancel just about every normal is so good and his buffs in Ultimate made his air combos so much fun to use. Hidden Missiles and Plasma Beam are very welcome assists too.

Tekken: either Heihachi or Jaycee. Both of them have incredibly satisfying movesets. I dumped a ton of hours into TTT2 learning how to EWGF and properly wavedash and Heihachi is easily my favorite Mishima. As for Jaycee, I just love the general flow to playing her. Wind roll is a fun move to use during combos, I like her new grappling moves in TTT2, and I love buttons like d+1+2.

Guilty Gear: My username should make this one incredibly obvious, but it's Sol Badguy. He is just such a great rushdown character. Doing gunflame FRC pressure/mixup, using his command throw, landing that dustloop/sidewinder loop-- everything just feels perfect. You can just go crazy.

Darkstalkers is kind of a tough one for me since I never really played it too hardcore. But the characters I do love to play as are Lord Raptor, Jedah, and Hsien-ko. I like doing unblockable setups with Bishamon too!

And it's not really a long-running game and I don't know if we'll ever see more entries in the series, but Mitsuru Kirijo from Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is without a doubt my favorite fighting game character
and my waifu.
I love her normals and playing footsies/neutral with her. She's the closest thing I have to a female anime Bison and I love that. Tools like her D normals and Bufula mixup add even more depth to her gameplay and make her even more satisfying to use.

D-Man

Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

Since Ace Attorney is my favorite series of all time, I decided to main Phoenix Wright in UMVC3 when he got leaked to be in the game. I promised myself that I would become the best Phoenix Wright player I could possibly be. I've had some really great and awful matches with him, but I never dropped him once. I know he's low tier and takes too much effort to learn, but he represents a series that really changed me as a person, so I stuck with him until the bitter end.

Mr. Wright is my Ace Attorney.

(Honorable mention goes to Ness, Mario, and Little Mac in Smash Bros alongside Junpei and Kanji in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax)

I've always really liked Talim from Soul Calibur. Her character design is one of my favorites, not just in Soul Calibur, but gaming in general. Always had a lot of fun playing as her too since I love fast, quick striking characters.

It was a real shame that they didn't bring her back in Soul Calibur V. That was easily my biggest disappointment with that game (among others). Assuming Bandai Namco makes another full fledged console Soul Calibur game I hope they bring her back.

Springy

King

kingkof2000kbs0i.gif

First time I played King of Fighters, I picked King to practice with. Her name was on the cabinet, I reasoned, you know it makes sense. She's my go-to point character, one I'm most confident dealing damage and building meter with.

I use present tense, I haven't played KoF in so long and I sucked when I went online with XIII.

Also, she's a bartender and a bouncer, dresses sharp and generally takes no shit. I think she looks kickass.

King

kingkof2000kbs0i.gif

First time I played King of Fighters, I picked King to practice with. Her name was on the cabinet, I reasoned, you know it makes sense. She's my go-to point character, one I'm most confident dealing damage and building meter with.

I use present tense, I haven't played KoF in so long and I sucked when I went online with XIII.

Also, she's a bartender and a bouncer, dresses sharp and generally takes no shit. I think she looks kickass.
Also does Muay Thai judging from her stance. That's badass.

I really want to get into King of Fighters. Never really got the opportunity though. :( I actually already like a lot of the character designs. Don't think any of them does boxing though, at least from the latest game. I make it a rule to use boxers in fighting games. :lol

33jRmj9.jpg

Dhalsim. All day, err day.

Mained in every game he's been in except MvC2 (and even then, I'd work him in at times).

His roundhouse into YF was my first inkling of the combo and taught me prediction and creativity in tactics midgame.

His EX and 4 iterations were amazingly well done (his kick throw in EX is Tekken-level of great), and in 4, he's one of the few that I feel made a good transition to that artstyle. The rubbery slackness of his mid-air Fierces and the usefulness of the Yoga Tower was a nice bonus.

Vega(Balrog): His look, his backstory his music. Love the character. I'll never use him though cause i suck at charge characters.

Backstory
Vega was born to a privileged noble family in Spain. For reasons undisclosed, their status dwindled, causing Vega's mother to remarry for financial security. As he matured, Vega studied bullfighting, a cultural tradition. Afterward, he went to Japan and learned ninjutsu, a style he believed meshed well with his natural grace and agility. Combining bullfighting with ninjutsu, Vega went into an underground cage fighting circuit, and quickly became one of the best.

His ugly stepfather murdered his beautiful mother because he felt she did not respect him, and Vega killed him in return.The incident warped his mind, and he developed a dual personality: honorable nobleman by day, sadistic murderer by night. It also triggered Vega's obsession with beauty as a wonderful trait, as well as his belief that ugliness is something evil that should be purged.

Theme:
SFIV

HDRemix

Spittin' Narcissism

Bonus:
Chun Li vs. Vega Epic anime fightscene(NSFW)

J-Tier

My current favorite would probably be Makoto from SF. Her "traditional karate" fighting style and aesthetic just appeals to me.

Next would be Akuma. He's your typical
Evil clone but he's just so ridiculously powerful in canon and to fight against that being able to play as him was something my child self loved.

Moving away from SF, I'd say Steve Fox from Tekken. I love Hajime no Ippo so his moveset just hypes me up.

ScOULaris

As expected, I'm seeing lots of diversity in this thread already. I don't think any other genre can boast as many memorable, distinctive characters as fighting games. We are truly spoiled for choice when it comes to rosters these days, as they've tended to compound on themselves with each new entry in any given series.

Vega

2kjg0ru.jpg

I like to think my logic from years ago still holds strong today, this dude has a mask and a claw, why would I choose anyone else? (well okay, Blanka was a green beast man so he also had some pull) not that I actually knew how to take advantage of his or any other characters special moves back then, all I knew was mash buttons and that somehow the CPU counterpart of Vega was capable of scaling the cage in the background of his stage,oh how I wished I could do the same.
Well I never got to go cage clambering but much later when SF4 came out I did finally learn how to do his special moves and initially stare in bewilderment at whatever the heck sort of motion the ultra combo was requiring of me.
I'm not sure if much of how he plays reflects my own playstyle preferences or if it's just a case of me fulfilling that childhood dream but hey, mask and claw my friends plus entertaining mannerisms so there ya go.

I'd throw in something for Smash but that just doesn't seem quite the same, I will say that it's a nice coincidence that two of my favourite Nintendo characters in Donkey Kong and Ike both fulfil my joy of hitting things with brute force.

Iori / Blood Riot Iori from KOF

W8JwWaZ.jpg

His fighting style is pretty much slash and tear, and it feels sooooo satisfying if you can get in a groove. The fact that his alt is him gone completely insane is just a cherry on top.

Sorry, no obscure character here, only The First Lady of Tekken, The Queen of Iron Fist Tournament, Namco's ultimate creation, The Silent Assassin, Tekken's ChunLi/Sarah Bryant/Sonya Blade, the CG love of my life - Nina Williams

When I saw her in Tekken 2's opening cinematic, sitting at a bar, pulling a Sharon Stone/Basic Instinct, I was hooked. Ever since then she's been my main in Tekken and basically my favourite video game character of all time. When I was in 7th grade or sth at school she was the video game character all the boys in my class were dreaming of, not Lara Croft.
Apart from her killer looks and her killer (literally) personality, she's one of the most technical and hardest to master characters in the series, but also one of the, if not THE most rewarding.
All Hail the Queen

Kuwabara

Neo Member
Street Fighter - Alex
This guy is my main in SF3, and for good reason. His design is awesome and really captures what Capcom was going for with the new SF cast in 3, being a bit more grounded and less cartoony than most characters in SF2 while still being unique and cool looking. His gameplay is similarly unique, being an agile hybrid grappler character. Being able to dish out big damage up close while also being able to move fullscreen almost instantly is awesome. Sure, sometimes his options suck, but nothing in a fighting game is more satisfying to me than busting out a Hyper Bomb on someone trying to wakeup DP. I just wish Capcom loved him as much as I do. Alex deserves more than Tatsunoko vs. Capcom!

King of Fighters - Vanessa
One of my favourite boxer characters, and definitely my favourite KoF character actually from KoF. Her movement options are crazy, being able to zip back and forth across the screen and through fireballs like no one else, and her combos are badass. Not to mention her design, which is a nice break from schoolgirl type characters, and while somewhat sexualised it's a far cry in terms of class from a character like Angel (keep safe search on if you google that one, kids). I'm not as big a fan of the KoF games as I am of other SNK series, but Vanessa definitely keeps me playing XI.

Rival Schools (It's long running to me, damn it!) - Akira Kazama
And I couldn't find a gif of Akira, so here's a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT7T04R6Xww

Akira is a character I love almost exclusively for her design and story (and the fact that her back throw is a suplex, but whatever. I'm a sucker for backdrops, okay?) Her gameplay is nothing too special, but I can't think of a cooler looking fighting game character from a pure visual standpoint. She looks like Mad Max crossed with Skullomania and that pushes all my buttons. Her story is also a fun inversion of the standard damsel in distress story, what with her having to save her brother Daigo from being brainwashed by the badguys. Not my favourite fighting game character ever, but definitely my favourite Rival Schools character.

Fatal Fury - Terry Bogard
Finally we get to my absolute favourite fighting game character, and one of my favourite characters of all time period full stop. There's absolutely nothing about Terry I don't like. His fighting style is awesome, and avoids the trap a lot of fighting game protagonists fall into by essentially being Ryu clones. His moveset is fantastic and combines martial arts with street fighting and even basketball. His design is great, particularly his Garou-style bomber jacket which manages to be both understated and iconic. His over the top voice acting with a crazy thick Japanese accent is hilarious, and even people who don't play fighting games still know Terry because of it. And finally, his story is one of the best and most well told of any fighting game I've played. I don't want to clutter the thread here by explaining the entire story of the Fatal Fury series, but if you really want to know there was a thread about it a while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=901043&highlight=fatal+fury
Terry is so awesome that he's the mascot of all of SNK turned the former SNK mascot into his personal pet and if you don't like him then you're not okay.

Top Bottom