• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Levy To Direct ‘Uncharted’; PlayStation Video game Movie On Fast Track

Armadilo

Banned
Article

shawn-levy-uncharted.jpg

Sony Pictures has set Shawn Levy to direct Uncharted, the long-awaited live-action feature film based on the PlayStation video game series featuring the treasure hunter Nathan Drake.
Joe Carnahan, who wrote the most recent script draft, had an eye to direct, but he has moved over to focus on helming Sony’s Bad Boys For Life, the action comedy that reunites Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.
Uncharted is an Arad/Atlas Entertainment Production, with Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad producing.

Levy has been busy executive producing and directing episodes of the Netflix breakout series Stranger Things, and he’ll direct several more episodes in Season 2 while casting up a film that has long been seen as a big global franchise play for the studio. Levy also produced the upcoming Denis Villenueve-directed Arrival, which stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner.

The video game was developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment America. The fourth iteration of the game, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, was released in May. Columbia exec veep Jonathan Kadin will oversee the film.

Levy, who hatched the Night At The Museum franchise and directed Real Steel and Date Night, is repped by WME.

Finally, it's alive!

giphy.gif

Corpekata

Banned
Levy makes the sort of bland soulless movies that I can see getting a long gestating movie like this going finally simply because he has a very workmanlike approach to his stuff.

Probably won't end up any good, but I suppose it might actually get made sometime now.

Cartman86

Banned
Levy makes the sort of bland soulless movies that I can see getting a long gestating movie like this going finally simply because he has a very workmanlike approach to his stuff.

Probably won't end up any good, but I suppose it might actually get made sometime now.

Yep exactly my thought when I saw this. "Oh okay well this is finally happening". With a good script and actors it could elevate it, but not holding my breath.

Yeah... Stranger Things and The Night at The Museum movies are boring and soulless. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah... Stranger Things and The Night at The Museum movies are boring and soulless. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The Night at the Museum absolutely is exactly what I was describing, and he's isn't the creative force behind Stranger Things. The only good things Levy has been attached to are TV shows where he's barely involved. Do you attribute Westworld to JJ Abrams just because he's a producer on it?

The Night at the Museum absolutely is, and he's isn't the creative force behind Stranger Things. The only good things Levy has been attached to are TV shows where he's barely involved with. Do you attribute Westworld to JJ Abrams just because he's a producer on it?
Have you seen them or are you just assuming this based on the premise? They're quite original and surprisingly well-rounded.

Robot Pants

Well I was hoping this was dead. The game is already a movie in its original form.
(I love UC4 by the way. Probably my game of the year)

The Night at the Museum absolutely is exactly what I was describing, and he's isn't the creative force behind Stranger Things. The only good things Levy has been attached to are TV shows where he's barely involved. Do you attribute Westworld to JJ Abrams just because he's a producer on it?

The Duffer Bros are obviously the chief creative force on Stranger Things but I would hardly characterize Levy as being barely involved.

Chris_C

He directed 2 episodes of Stranger Things, and many directors will tell you that you have very limited scope for experimentation or error with directing TV. It requires a certain level of technical skill, definitely, but most TV shows have a set style, a regular editor and writers that will keep the quality level consistent.

Night at the Museum is lowest common denominator kids fare. It will not be remembered as a classic. Fine for what what it was, nothing more. Compared to the names bandied about previously, he's more likely to get this done because he doesn't rock the boat, and his movies are safe and by-the-numbers.

Have you seen them or are you just assuming this based on the premise? They're quite original and surprisingly well-rounded.

I've seen Night at the Museum, it's not very good at all, and not very original. Stranger Things is novel, fun, and hugely entertaining. If you think it's original though, you must have been born post-1985. (This isn't meant as an insult)

eXistor

Hack director for Uncharted? I guess it was doomed from the start. AT least it's not Brett Rattner...yet.

Elixist

totally down for a funny/sexy action romp, but not holding my breath for anything good lul ^^^Hanks would probably be a goody Sully actually

Kasper

Going from potentially having Carnahan to getting Shawn Levy, yikes. Hopefully the script is good enough that the end product won't be completely garbage.

Falchion

Nice! The story of 4 was fantastic and given the characters and the world they have to work with, they could do a lot of really cool stuff with the movie.

firelogic

It's not going to be very good. Fans of the series are going to expect Uncharted 4 type of characters and relationships. It's going to be boring watching Drake and Elena meeting again and going on their first adventure. Non-fans aren't really going to care about the property to begin with. It'll be some generic action movie.

I really don't understand why Sony wants to do an Uncharted movie, especially this late. They missed the boat.

Top Bottom