• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

openrob

screenshot_2015-06-2180o95.png

I love this fan base!
P.s. if anyone does want to contact him, holla at an admin on the 500k FB page to ensure he gets the message

I'd like to thank in advance all the assholes, trolls and flip-floppers for making sure Suzuki's honest and good-hearted attempt to bring us fans some closure is discredited and squandered.

Don't let it get to you man. I mean I do feel the same. The trolls are making this kind of infuriating. I do know however that some of the people backing out are genuine. The members of ShenmueDojo for example who are the hardest of the hardcore have pledged for ridiculously high tiers and posted about how it would have bankrupted them so backed out at the last minute - even when the original honest intention was there. I assume some of these people backing out are probably genuine though intentional trolls probably do also exist.

Finalizer

Add ~89K of projected daily pledges to that over the next 24 days

I know for a number of you, this is your first Kickstarter, but please reel in your expectations.

For comparison, Bloodstained, the most successful video game Kickstarter and one connected to an IP with much greater mindshare than Shenmue, had several days of sub-$50k daily pledges, and two of them below $40k. This is a Kickstarter that had comparatively better 5th and 6th days, though that might come down to minor fluctuations in daily pledge amounts, but it could paint a picture for what Shenmue 3's slump will eventually look like.

Put your expectations somewhere between 5 and 6 million, as that's almost guaranteed to be where this one ends up. If it gets significantly higher than 6, that would be exceptional. 10m is a pipe dream.

N.A

Banned
The $10k dinners have been got by shenmue dojo members now so they won't be anymore backing out/trolling on them.

i'm starting to think KS should enact a new rule that if you choose a high value pledge you are locked in and charged immediately but have the option of still going higher but not lower, would stop the trolls

brett2

I'd like to thank in advance all the assholes, trolls and flip-floppers for making sure Suzuki's honest and good-hearted attempt to bring us fans some closure is discredited and squandered.

My state of mind reading this thread has improved as my ignore list has increased

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just backed it, want to help out and I love the series' concept. Hopefully I find some way to play the first two between now and late 2017 LOL

The $10k dinners have been got by shenmue dojo members now so they won't be anymore backing out/trolling on them.

Thanks for letting us know. That's reassuring news finally. Those guys are good as gold. And yeah you're right two of the slots were taken by two of their most high profile members (I believe LanDC contributes to the running of the site). They're saying the third dinner was taken by one of the artists for Pokemon so there's three people right there who won't back out. Reading that thread LanDC stated he just went in to a lot of debt to pay for the dinner. Christ this fanbase man. They know no bounds.

Anyway yeah the ShenmueDojo guys are golden. They basically just posted over there in dormancy going on 14 years when there wasn't a hope in hell Shenmue 3 would be made and then they got the most amazing and life changing announcement ever at Sony's conference on Monday. It's also worth keeping track of ShenmueDojo for more in-depth announcements and news. For example on July 3 they have a campaign planned to boost the funding drive. That's certain to do some good.

Just glad those guys finally got the game they wanted. They're coming out in full force financially supporting this campaign so for that I am thankful.

openrob

Bumping this for a new page.
I think this is a really cool situation for bumping interest.

I know neogaf is read by many high flyers in the gaming world. Hopefully one of you is happy to get on board.

Obviously FB message him, but feel free to Holla at 500k admins to ensure your message is delivered.

Thaedolus

This video really shows how easy UE4 is to work with. I'm really pumped to see what the development team can come up with tools like this...I can't imagine the night and day difference between tools like these and what they worked with 20 years ago.

Boke1879

Thanks for letting us know. That's reassuring news finally. Those guys are good as gold. And yeah you're right two of the slots were taken by two of their most high profile members (I believe LanDC contributes to the running of the site). They're saying the third dinner was taken by one of the artists for Pokemon so there's three people right there who won't back out. Reading that thread LanDC stated he just went in to a lot of debt to pay for the dinner. Christ this fanbase man. They know no bounds.

Anyway yeah the ShenmueDojo guys are golden. They basically just posted over there in dormancy going on 14 years when there wasn't a hope in hell Shenmue 3 would be made and then they got the most amazing and life changing announcement ever at Sony's conference on Monday. It's also worth keeping track of ShenmueDojo for more in-depth announcements and news. For example on July 3 they have a campaign planned to boost the funding drive. That's certain to do some good.

Just glad those guys finally got the game they wanted. They're coming out in full force financially supporting this campaign so for that I am thankful.

He really shouldn't go into debt just to pay for the dinner

I know neogaf is read by many high flyers in the gaming world. Hopefully one of you is happy to get on board.

Obviously FB message him, but feel free to Holla at 500k admins to ensure your message is delivered.

Yeah this is also pretty great news. The guys at ShenmueDojo are already reaching out to him. They're thinking of generating a video with footage from Shenmue and asking him to voice some new lines for Ryo and then incorporating that in to their efforts to boost funding. Hope something positive comes of it.

FranXico

So much damage was done to this Kickstarter. Just sad.

What has happened this week, with "concern" propaganda and lies from bitter fanboys (starting with Ben Kuchera), was absolutely disgusting. Those people care more about their petty console war than games.

Absolutely disgusting.

Edit: I mistakenly named Gies instead of Kuchera. Thanks sechsterangriff for pointing this out.

Finalizer

You linked to the wrong video there.

So much damage was done to this Kickstarter. Just sad.

It's still doing extremely well. I'm dubious that there's really been extensive damage to this Kickstarter's success; you have to accept that Shenmue is extremely niche, and that the game's legacy alone wasn't going to draw in such a ridiculously huge crowd of backers.

What has happened this week, with "concern" propaganda and lies from a bitter fanboys (starting with Arthur Gies), was absolutely disgusting. Those people care more about their petty console war than games.

Absolutely disgusting.

Not that I'm a big fan of Arthur, but wasn't that trash article Kuchera's? Or are your referring to something else?

By the way, how trust worthy are Kicktrack projections? Shenmue is about $13m on the lower end right now.

Stike

I backed this and I can't wait to play its predecessors, just to dive into this presumably INCREDIBLE story.

I wish Sega would get into making those HD remasters.... fuck, simple ports would do.

ZenTzen

theres some youtubers that like shenmue, i think the most notable are Smosh, those guys wrote something on their website about the 5 games ahead of its time, if they made a video talking about the shenmue kickstarter they would probably rally a good number of pledges

Chinner

Banned

I'm kind of interested to see what he would be like with modern voice recording equipment and some decent direction.

Xieldos

Surely if we fall short of $10m on the Kickstarter campaign Ys can just sell additional merchandise afterwards to top this up to that figure?

I'd certainly chip in for a few t-shirts or whatever Shenmue related ideas they come up with in order to make sure the full Shenmue III experience is funded.

I just feel that there's far too much panic over a Kickstarter that's less than a week old.

You linked to the wrong video there.

It's still doing extremely well. I'm dubious that there's really been extensive damage to this Kickstarter's success; you have to accept that Shenmue is extremely niche, and that the game's legacy alone wasn't going to draw in such a ridiculously huge crowd of backers.

I agree it pulled in $89k with 964 backers on day 5, $91k with 844 backers on day 6 and now it is at $45k with 437 backers for day 7. It is trending pretty well after the initial first two days. Though it is a little concerning that the number of backers are dropping, but the pledges seem to be more generous. At this pace though it will take another 5-6 days to reach $4 million. Not bad for a niche game series.

The problem with Shenmue is that this game is more legend than well know. A lot of gamers will probably know the name, but have never played the original games due to their obscurity. It is really hard to go back and play the originals to see if you really want to back this one too. The best option is honestly emulation (at least for the first) as DC emulation is quite good for this game.

master15

If there's anyone that deserves dinner with Suzuki-San and get his hands on the first two games script it certainly is LanDC. Long time Shenmue fans will know he did extensive modding work and found a treasure trove of hidden files, character models, deleted scenarios, meta material that sustained the community over the many long years in between announcements and developments.

It's amazing how strong the Dojo community remained despite everything that occurred.

Krejlooc

Banned
Surely if we fall short of $10m on the Kickstarter campaign Ys can just sell additional merchandise afterwards to top this up to that figure?

I'd certainly chip in for a few t-shirts or whatever Shenmue related ideas they come up with in order to make sure the full Shenmue III experience is funded.

I just feel that there's far too much panic over a Kickstarter that's less than a week old.

Yu Suzuki said he is looking into paypal donations after the campaign ends like Star Citizen and Yooka-laylee use. I think he could see big success that way.

Xieldos

Yu Suzuki said he is looking into paypal donations after the campaign ends like Star Citizen and Yooka-laylee use. I think he could see big success that way.

Is there any reason why they couldn't do it before the Kickstarter ends like Yooka-Laylee? Is there a big advantage to waiting before using PayPal?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Paypal is pretty important to reach the 10M goal, I think.

theres some youtubers that like shenmue, i think the most notable are Smosh, those guys wrote something on their website about the 5 games ahead of its time, if they made a video talking about the shenmue kickstarter they would probably rally a good number of pledges

That would be great to post on his Facebook so he can contact them.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there any reason why they couldn't do it before the Kickstarter ends like Yooka-Laylee? Is there a big advantage to waiting before using PayPal?

In his AMA, he said he is still mulling over the option. So he hasn't decided either way if he'll do it at all.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Understanding Sony's Role in Shenmue 3

PLEASE SHARE THIS CLICKBAIT-FREE AND TRUTHFUL ARTICLE EVERYWHERE YOU CAN!

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...ved-in-marketing-and-production-for-Shenmue-3

«Many fans were confused after learning about Sony's direct involvement in Shenmue 3, but it's simpler than you may think.

Sony blew away the media and fans alike during their 2015 E3 showcase, especially when they brought developer Yu Suzuki on stage for the announcement that a Kickstarter had been created to bring fans the long anticipated title Shenmue 3.

Recently, it was revealed that Sony will be a partner in creating Shenmue 3, although there is no mention of this partnership on the Kickstarter page. Additionally, during the announcement at E3, VP of publisher & developer relations at PlayStation Adam Boyes appeared to say the opposite.

"Recently a developer told us that they were bringing back a fan favorite to Kickstarter for PC and PS4. Now, this is very much their project, but we wanted to celebrate their announcement on our stage. Since this has been a game that Playstation fans have been very, very, very vocal about."

However, during the Playstation E3 Experience livecast, Playstation's Director of third party production and developer relations Gio Corsi made Sony's involvement clear.

"We said the only way this is going to happen is if the fans speak up, and we thought Kickstarter was the perfect place to do this."

"Sony and Playstation is very much a partner in this game and it's going to be run through third party production, and we're going to help YS Net get the game done," Corsi continued. "And we're going to be partners on it the whole way."

While many seemed concerned over this omission, it appears that Sony's role is not as hands-on as people are assuming.

Engadget spoke with Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida, who explained a bit further Sony's involvement. "It's a very exciting project and there are lots of PlayStation fans asking for it. But it's a Sega IP and of course Suzuki Yu-san is the creator. So somehow Suzuki-san was able to work out with Sega to allow them to Kickstart the project. And because we liked the project, our third-party relations team struck a deal to help Kickstart the campaign at the E3 conference. That's great PR."

Adam Boyes later stated "we're backing it as well... we're putting scratch in" but that the title will be self-published with Sony helping with the marketing. Had Sony made the decision to fully fund Shenmue 3, Boyes estimates that two years would have been dedicated solely to showing there is a demand for the game, then the process to secure funding would begin, then development would start. Also, in the case of full funding, Shenmue 3 would have been a first party title for Sony, which likely would have waded into murky water as far as licensing from Sega was concerned, as well as with Yu Suzuki's role in the development process.

Yu Suzuki hosted an AMA on Reddit Friday, and while he did not address any of the questions regarding his partnership with Sony (many questions went unanswered due to the popularity of the thread, not just ones regarding Sony), he did say "I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality. At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world."

Shibuya Productions President & CEO Cedric Biscay, Co-Producer for Shenmue 3, addressed Sony's involvement briefly in several tweets, including one that stated "Sony is providing various supports, including marketing and investment, to YSNet. However, SONY is just one of many backers of #Shenmue3." Further clarifying, Biscay wrote "SONY will not get any money from the KS, they will help to finance the PS4 version and will also help for advertisement."

In 2011, Suzuki told Destructoid that Shenmue, released in 1999, cost $47 million to make.

At the time of this posting, Shenmue 3 is the seventh most funded game Kickstarter of all time with nearly $3.5 million pledged and 26 days remaining.

1.The E3 reveal of Shenmue 3 begins at 46:40 of this video.

2.The Shenmue 3 interview begins at 2:44:06 on this video, with Corsi discussing Playstation's involvement at 2:49:28.»

Further clarification:
gAVOqq1.png

https://twitter.com/DanShoeHsu/status/612687243589742592

Yeah I was just about to mention this. Yu said in the Reddit AMA that he's open to this idea. So either a Paypal button on the KS when it ends (similar to Yooka Laylee) or even just a button on the Shenmue Link site. Hopefully now he's been probed about the idea he'll genuinely consider this option when the campaign ends. I can completely see fans backing Shenmue III over the long-term and it provides quite the fantastic pipeline of continual financial support for the game as it begins development. It's a great idea and I hope Yu strongly considers it.

In other news it appears the gaming media is finally getting up to speed. The Escapist posted a recent article that's far more accurate than the recent misinformation articles floating around.

GavinGT

Banned

One reason could be that has has outside funding that's contingent on the final Kickstarter total.

Krejlooc

Banned
what are the pros and cons to offering paypal?

For one, paypal doesn't dump the money in a bank account, they put it into a paypal wallet. This wallet already absorbs a fee that is roughly about 2.5% - 5% of the amount of money paid, and there is an additional, occasionally hefty fee to move that money into a real bank account. Doing so also takes between 30 days and 90 days.

I remember, a few years ago, I sold an ipod touch on ebay to make some money for my dad's birthday. I sold it about 3 weeks prior... and I didn't have the money in my account until well after his birthday had passed.

Paypal has a habit, also, of freezing accounts if crowdfunders withdrawl their pledge, as backers tend to do from time to time.

El_Cinefilo

All this talk of Paypal after the Kickstarter has ended has got me wanting a Shenmue Store to open after. Sell Shenmue merchandise with all the profits going towards the game (preferably with a tracker) Sell Capsule toys, T-shirts Statues, the mirrors, Artwork etc. I'd spend a fortune!

Might need Sega's permission/them to get a cut though.

Well this is frustrating. I've sorted out the money side on my end to back this but my internet today is being a complete dick. Hell I don't even know if this post will show up. I definitely do not like doing financial transaction when I don't know if I'll time out or not.

Anyways, I think it's way too early to talk about whether the backlash has damaged the Kickstarter. Yes it's slowed down more than other comparative KS but it's still way out in front in terms of overall pace, and I said it yesterday it's got a lot of leeway to lose ground on the likes of Bloodstained and Torment and still come out the end as the most funded game kickstarter yet. And there's also still time for some of the more lacking elements of the campaign to be addressed and new funding tiers to be added.

GavinGT

Banned
Well this is frustrating. I've sorted out the money side on my end to back this but my internet today is being a complete dick. Hell I don't even know if this post will show up. I definitely do not like doing financial transaction when I don't know if I'll time out or not.

Anyways, I think it's way too early to talk about whether the backlash has damaged the Kickstarter. Yes it's slowed down more than other comparative KS but it's still way out in front in terms of overall pace, and I said it yesterday it's got a lot of leeway to lose ground on the likes of Bloodstained and Torment and still come out the end as the most funded game kickstarter yet. And there's also still time for some of the more lacking elements of the campaign to be addressed and new funding tiers to be added.

GAF's messed up today, it's not just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom