• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaghetti

Ren of Heavens has to be my favorite Shenmue character. Yu Suzuki said Shenhua was his, but Ren of Heavens is way cooler.

My favorite moment is when he comes to see you in the street fight for support, and you see him make a bet. And then, when you eventually win, you thank him for his help and he's like "Bastard! Because you won, I lost my money!"

lol
he's pretty fucking awesome and one of the most entertaining characters

(shenmue 3 spoilers - if we reach 5 million that is)
i can't wait to play as him

Krejlooc

Banned
Ive been thinking that, while having some old sega arcade games would be awesome, given the hyper rare opportunity at gand, I would rather have yu suzuki make some new, retro-style games. Lile, id go apeshit for a brand new super scalar game from yu suzuki today. Maybe a spiritual successor to outrun or something.

I asked this question on the Dojo, but just in case anyone here might know (while there is a lull in the topic conversation anyways):

I am playing through both games again, and will be, for the first time, transferring my save from the first game to the second.

I have seen differing reports on how the calendar date transfers. It seems like the accurate answer is that it is the date that you finish the first game plus four days? Is that correct?

Picking an example date of January 10, how does that affect the Fangmei sidequest and the Bad Ending date?

I imagine for Fangmei I would just have to pass the time, but is the bad ending based on number of days played, or is it always the same date no matter what?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just makes me think this will remain very niche with a low number of high value donors

That seems to be a trend when it comes to niche games on kickstarter.

And you're right about this game mostly catering to a niche. Effectively we've got ~50k pre orders for the game here but what will matter most is how many extra sales the game will get at release.

Spaghetti

I asked this question on the Dojo, but just in case anyone here might know (while there is a lull in the topic conversation anyways):

I am playing through both games again, and will be, for the first time, transferring my save from the first game to the second.

I have seen differing reports on how the calendar date transfers. It seems like the accurate answer is that it is the date that you finish the first game plus four days? Is that correct?

Picking an example date of January 10, how does that affect the Fangmei sidequest and the Bad Ending date?

I imagine for Fangmei I would just have to pass the time, but is the bad ending based on number of days played, or is it always the same date no matter what?
the bad end is on the same date no matter what, likewise the fangmei's birthday sidequest is always going to be locked into the same pattern (her birthday is late feb/march isn't it?).

as for the rest, i'm unsure. but yes, shenmue to shenmue II adds just under a week to your in-game date but i'm unsure the exact number.

IrishNinja

i don't think they're holding back on PS4 physical releases, it seems plainly obvious to me that its likely not their call to make

I wonder what happened to the UK Resistance guys.

hahaha oh god that place would be imploding right now
BLUE SKIES FOREVER~

zeshakag

Hoping the reason there has been no update in 3 days is that Awesome Japan has been fired.

Yeah...

It's been a week, the weekend is over, something should have been updated. I can't believe how little AwesomeJapan is helping. Most of the people on GAF who have managed successful KS campaigns could drive this campaign up the wall, as most of us had to grind out a successful movement without any previous interest like Shenmue has. No engagement, no new videos, new images, new pledges, or heart to heart updates.

Yu is probably busy talking to people and doing things that the formation of a dev project require, but something would be nice. The AMA was a really cool idea, granted.

Yeah...

It's been a week, the weekend is over, something should have been updated. I can't believe how little AwesomeJapan is helping. Most of the people on GAF who have managed successful KS campaigns could drive this campaign up the wall, as most of us had to grind out a successful movement without any previous interest like Shenmue has. No engagement, no new videos, new images, new pledges, or heart to heart updates.

Yu is probably busy talking to people and doing things that the formation of a dev project require, but something would be nice. The AMA was a really cool idea, granted.

The Tak Hirai interview is screen grabbed in the Kickstarter where it lists him as a team member, so it's safe to assume there will be video interviews for the others as well. Not sure when they'll be posted though.

Spaghetti

Yeah...

i'm hoping we get something today.

if nothing changes we need to tweet at cedric biscay and ask what's happening

in the meanwhile, how does everybody feel about kicking their pledge up another $3

i did!

$3 for 3!

Zerojul

Ive been thinking that, while having some old sega arcade games would be awesome, given the hyper rare opportunity at gand, I would rather have yu suzuki make some new, retro-style games. Lile, id go apeshit for a brand new super scalar game from yu suzuki today. Maybe a spiritual successor to outrun or something.
That could be awesome as hell. I'm confident he could come up with something amazing !

MouldyK

Project Cars 2 already asking for Crowdfunding Money and people ain't happy?

Wait until Yu Sazuki has to ask for money for Shenmue 4. :p

Onyar

This is the normal behaviour of kickstarter projects.
pledge+distribution+over+time.png

So maybe 7?

Theonik

dvd i would assume

games don't ship on blu ray for pc yet, do they?
PC BD drives didn't really catch on even compared to the relatively slow adoption of DVD distribution on PC. I think I have seen a total of 2 PC-BD releases and those were novelties where the BD was a feature. (stuff like look at us filling the disk with random crap compilations)

I've placed my 500$ but I guess I'll increase it with the new tiers.

Ah, you had my hopes up that an update was posted announcing new tiers haha! They really need to get an update out.

I noticed that the FAQs were edited at approximately 2:00 a.m. Eastern time, so they are most likely back in Japan. Therefore, any future updates might be coming in the middle of the night for any U.S. folk, which could hurt any quick bursts of momentum that the updates would have.

Theonik

I bet it breaks 6 minimum. Worst case scenario it barely misses 6. Higher is possible.

That seems to be a trend when it comes to niche games on kickstarter.

And you're right about this game mostly catering to a niche. Effectively we've got ~50k pre orders for the game here but what will matter most is how many extra sales the game will get at release.
Most game KS have about the same number of backers, even things with relatively large fanbases. It isn't necessarily an indicator of sales in the wild after the fact I feel.
Popularity plays a role in general and good data can be mined from KS but not from the size itself which from what I've seen levels out at some point. In part this is why many KS can go on to be viable in the marketplace after the fact, or to enjoy residual sales leading to release as more material is released.

Theonik

Ah, you had my hopes up that an update was posted announcing new tiers haha! They really need to get an update out.

I noticed that the FAQs were edited at approximately 2:00 a.m. Eastern time, so they are most likely back in Japan. Therefore, any future updates might be coming in the middle of the night for any U.S. folk, which could hurt any quick bursts of momentum that the updates would have.
They should try and post an update tonight. Already leaving weekends to silence isn't the best idea but not coming back on Monday is even worse. Also someone SERIOUSLY neeeds to tell them to put the stretchgoals at the TOP of the page…
People simply aren't seeing them under that wall of information and they are the most important thing to have first.

Jomjom

Banned
I really hope they eventually get to my question of whether or not we can have Yu Suzuki sign the game instead of the illustration. I really want to get my copy of Shenmue 3 signed!

Bl@de

Was so excited that I started replaying 1&2 today. Wow, the games still feel great and unique (except for clunky controls). There are no games like Shenmue. Really hope for 6-7 million so Yu can implement all that he wants (whatever he means by that^^). I would be ok with 3 being the same with better controls and graphics.

PS. Found all the sailors ;)
EDIT. Replaying the game is certainly more fun than reading the gaf threads about the kickstarter these days. Everyone should be happy about 3 and remember the old games. But like so often people rather focus on nitpicking

J2 Cool

Really hoping if this game is a success Sega will step up to publish 4.

I think theres a unique buzz right now, and a lot could change in a year or two. The originals are becoming valuable games, people want to play it and can't, and theyre seeing Shenmue fans reactions to this. I think its ballsy and great Yu's not just wrapping it up here and getting out.

Spaghetti

so, how's everybody enjoying their shenmue and shenmue II playthroughs?

share the platform, and the memories!

currently onto disk 2 of shenmue on demul. really enjoying taking it slow. i've got a routine of beating fuku-san up in the morning, feeding the cat, buying a toy, buying a coke, and practising some martial arts before finishing off with a game in the arcade.

IrishNinja

so, how's everybody enjoying their shenmue and shenmue II playthroughs?

share the platform, and the memories!

currently onto disk 2 of shenmue on demul. really enjoying taking it slow. i've got a routine of beating fuku-san up in the morning, feeding the cat, buying a toy, buying a coke, and practising some martial arts before finishing off with a game in the arcade.

off & on watching my roomie bishopcruz play through 1 (wish the undub was further along)...man there's so much i missed! i was waiting on either said undub or 1/2 HD so ill hold out a bit more myself, but im getting that itch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom