• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

we're close to hitting a good run of stretch goals now though, onwards through to 5 million and the character perspective system.

then hopefully the advanced FREE battle beyond that.
Really hoping for PS4 physical sometime now-ish to reboot momentum and carry us over 4 million.

That would set the right tone for the second half of the Kickstarter.

Almost reaching 3.8 million.

TBH: whoever thought it was a good idea to have a large-gap stretch goal like the 3.5-4 one and thought it was enough to add minigames at 4 million deserves a punch in the face
If you look at them they seem like realistic stretch goals from a developer standpoint. People are just not used to it, I guess...

New Update: To the Sea and the Continent Beyond

Hello Everyone!

The power of Shenmue’s music was undoubtedly one of the big reasons that made the Shenmue series such a memorable experience. One of men responsible for this great achievement, is Ryuji Iuchi.

The composer of "Shenhua's Theme," Iuchi-san's songs have pulled at our heart strings and actually put us there, in the world of Shenmue. And now he is back for Shenmue 3 to help take us into that world once again.

Let’s give a big standing ovation for Ryuji Iuchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2UtawnJnM

Thank you for all of the memories, Iuchi-san! We look forward to all of the new songs, and the memories we will make with them in Shenmue 3.

To get a further listen of Ryuji Iuchi’s body of work, please visit his website at www.ryujiiuchi.com While most of the site is in Japanese, samples of his music are here at this link, so please have a listen!

#SaveShenmue Tweetathon on Twitter

Don’t forget that the 3rd of the month is the #SaveShenmue Tweetathon, so please send a Tweet with the hashtag #SaveShenmue to show your support for Shenmue 3.

You can still get your questions to Yu Suzuki by Tweeting to him using the hashtag #YouaskYu

Magic Weather Warning: There will be a storm of updates on the way, so bring your umbrella with you tomorrow!

Spaghetti

Magic Weather Warning: There will be a storm of updates on the way, so bring your umbrella with you tomorrow!
yesssss, yesssssss

the stars are aligning

are any of you guys going to be asking yu questions?

Yeah, looks like they have so big update coming tomorrow with that last line.

It's also cool to hear from Ryuji Iuchi. Music is a big part of Shenmue and I'm excited to see what we get from Shenmue 3.

Erevador

Yeah, looks like they have so big update coming tomorrow with that last line.

It's also cool to hear from Ryuji Iuchi. Music is a big part of Shenmue and I'm excited to see what we get from Shenmue 3.
His music for the games was just insanely great. The defining sound of the Dreamcast.

The music in Shenmue is such an important part of the whole experience. Hugely underrated in most votings for best OST in gaming,
Aside from Yu Suzuki himself, I'm particularly happy Ryuji Iuchi is back for Shenmue 3.

His father tells him to "keep friends... those you love... close to you" but he definitely does the opposite. He pushes everyone away to try and minimize the collateral damage of his actions.

that's probably going to be a big theme of the rest of the series. there's meant to be a redemption at some point, but as of yet ryo hasn't done anything obviously worth taking a redemptive path for.

To an extent Ryo is retracing the journey his father took years before that lead to him possessing the mirrors. Iwao must have known the mirrors' purpose and what Lan Di and the Chi You Min intended to do with them. It would be an interesting twist on the wise old father bit if Ryo reaches that point and realises that rather than run and hide like Iwao did, which only delayed the inevitable, he has to confront them directly.

Man, a big update tomorrow and then more than likely a Zero Escape 3 reveal the next day?! Are you trying to kill me internet?!

The music in Shenmue is such an important part of the whole experience. Hugely underrated in most votings for best OST in gaming,
Aside from Yu Suzuki himself, I'm particularly happy Ryuji Iuchi is back for Shenmue 3.

This is SO true. : (

Initial Shenhua model was an ok prototype, though. One that need just some extra work to get to the past CG look. The paintover is too anime-ish, but could look better when modeled, maybe (outfit is better here, though).

Ultimately, just use the CG of the past game as the base (as posted in the previous page). Shenhua, Ryo and others look plenty good in their CG shots. Joy is about the only one I didn't like.

Erevador

Initial Shenhua model was an ok prototype, though. One that need just some extra work to get to the past CG look. The paintover is too anime-ish, but could look better when modeled, maybe (outfit is better here, though).
I thought initial Shenhua looked fine too. Initial Ryo looked awful, but I thought they had Shenhua pretty good.

Curious to see what the final version ends up looking like.

Erevador

Got to get the faces right. Both looked like different people initially.
Agree with you there, though I think Shenhua was good enough for a Kickstarter rendering.

Ryo was just totally weird and wrong and creepy looking. Even Yu Suzuki basically admitted he looked super awful, which was pretty funny.

Spaghetti

really though, graphics are usually the last thing to be finalised when it comes to game development, no?

look at the "what's shenmue?" demo disk, there are quite a few characters with totally different faces.

master15

really though, graphics are usually the last thing to be finalised when it comes to game development, no?

look at the "what's shenmue?" demo disk, there are quite a few characters with totally different faces.

It's amazing how some minor tweaks to Lan Di's model made such a tremendous difference in the final look.

betalandi6.jpg

betalandi4.jpg

betalandi2.jpg

master15

This Lan Di looks way too nice. Final Lan Di is definitely a much more sinister and menacing figure.

Yes there's a quote floating around there that the model was rejected multiple times until they corrected his look and he felt sinister and menacing.

Also as any newcomers coming into this thread please remember

ecLqB1X.png

"$30 on the 3rd" #30onthe3rd - #SaveShenmue
http://www.30onthe3rd.com/

i listen to shenmue music every 4-6 weeks. note that i had bought the orchestra cd before the game came out in japan. it's music i will never forget.

I'm super excited for tomorrow! Sounds like it will be a great day for Shenmue fans:

-A "storm" of updates (hopefully more rewards! Physical PS4 copy, maybe?)
-#YouAskYu Twitter session
-SEGA Nerdcast with Corey (Ryo), Eric (Ren), and Lisle (Xiuying)
-$30 on the 3rd which should hopefully bring us over or close to the $4 million mark.

Spaghetti

if we get everything we want for tomorrow's updates, then it's up to us to keep pushing the word and get new people interested. a revised and improved KS page should be enough to keep people on there and get new pledges, but we need to spread what shenmue is about.

i'm still working on my shenmue newcomers guide, but it should hopefully go live tonight or tomorrow (10 bst).

So what's 30 on the third about? Are people going to donate $30 on that day?

Yeah, you've got it. It's a fanbase-organized campaign to hopefully boost the funding by more than we have been seeing lately. It has actually been well-orchestrated, with a website (30onthe3rd.com) set up and active campaigning over the last month.

EDIT: Very cool update for that SEGA Nerdcast happening tomorrow! It will now feature Corey (Ryo), Eric Kelso (Ren/Guizhang), Lisle Wilkerson (Joy/Xiuying), AND Paul Lucas (Lan Di/Chai)!

Rising_Hei

To an extent Ryo is retracing the journey his father took years before that lead to him possessing the mirrors. Iwao must have known the mirrors' purpose and what Lan Di and the Chi You Min intended to do with them. It would be an interesting twist on the wise old father bit if Ryo reaches that point and realises that rather than run and hide like Iwao did, which only delayed the inevitable, he has to confront them directly.
redemption? nah... i think Ryo will come to understand that vengeance serves nothing, he'll come to understand why Lan Di kills his father but he will overcome these vengeance feelings knowing that if he kills Lan Di someone else will follow the hate cycle.
I think that Shenmue 2 was pointing out in this direction already.

Next is pure speculation

Ryo will give up his vengeance and end it all, but he has to stop Lan Di's schemes, and to do this not hurting anyone he has to become much much more determined and strong, because defeating a foe is much harder than just killing it.

Lan Di was naive once too, Ryo's father actions damaged his whole world and followed the path of vengeance, he lost his goodwill in the process and became pure evil.

With Ryo's punchs of justice and light Lan Di will come to his senses, he will even become an ally near the end to stop an even greater foe.

Trojan X

Banned
redemption? nah... i think Ryo will come to understand that vengeance serves nothing, he'll come to understand why Lan Di kills his father but he will overcome these vengeance feelings knowing that if he kills Lan Di someone else will follow the hate cycle.
I think that Shenmue 2 was pointing out in this direction already.

Next is pure speculation

Ryo will give up his vengeance and end it all, but he has to stop Lan Di's schemes, and to do this not hurting anyone he has to become much much more determined and strong, because defeating a foe is much harder than just killing it.

Lan Di was naive once too, Ryo's father actions damaged his whole world and followed the path of vengeance, he lost his goodwill in the process and became pure evil.

With Ryo's punchs of justice and light Lan Di will come to his senses, he will even become an ally near the end to stop an even greater foe.

I guarantee you this. Ryo will lose really badly to Lan Di when he encounter him again... really baaaaaaaad.... After Ryo finish beating himself up over the lost, he will move onto the next level of Akiranomics thanks 5o the help of others. That is when Shenmue will shift onto another level and i cannot wait.

Spaghetti

You guys can go "expose" yourselves on Twitter and Facebook or whatever. Don't make begging threads on GAF, especially not for multi-million dollar games. :p
how would you feel about a newcomer's guide to the series? i was planning on posting something but if it's not allowed i'll just scrap the idea.

openrob

how would you feel about a newcomer's guide to the series? i was planning on posting something but if it's not allowed i'll just scrap the idea.

That was done recently:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064658.
Could bump it I guess.

How much trouble would we be in if we orchastrated a mass necro bump of every shenmue thread to get the front page of GAF ALL Shenmue - even for a few minutes...Something tells me a lot.

Rising_Hei

I guarantee you this. Ryo will lose really badly to Lan Di when he encounter him again... really baaaaaaaad.... After Ryo finish beating himself up over the lost, he will move onto the next level of Akiranomics thanks 5o the help of others. That is when Shenmue will shift onto another level and i cannot wait.

He already lost to him, he won't lose again and the encounter will be close to the end i bet!

I hadn't backed yet, because I was waiting for my new credit card, and then I was waiting for the 3rd. It's now the 3rd here in Japan, so $300 from me :) It's the series that brought me to these shores so I'll show Yu my appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom