• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

Why do people keep assuming this model is current. It completely lacks texturing on the clothing. The face isn't event the worst part of that model and it's clearly outdated.

I still have the opinion they should have make Shenmue 3 with a fictional Suoer Dreamcast in mind so that the game looks more in line of the first two parts. Something like what Capcom did for Mega Man.

There isn't anything in the showed footage that let's me think they can handle the Unreal engine.

Spaghetti

I still have the opinion they should have make Shenmue 3 with a fictional Suoer Dreamcast in mind so that the game looks more in line of the first two parts. Something like what Capcom did for Mega Man.

There isn't anything in the showed footage that let's me think they can handle the Unreal engine.
At some point it makes more sense to just "go for it" rather than hold back on fictional improved Dreamcast hardware. If you've got the horsepower and tools to develop something that looks better you may as well stop working to an imaginary limit.

I see the Mega Man comparisons, but at the end of the day it was easier and cheaper for Capcom to make that decision on the aesthetic. Those games were judged on different standards than Shenmue would be, and the choice to make it look like a high-res Dreamcast game would probably have just been a stick to beat the game with and apply the label of "bad graphics".

On that subject- in the interest of fairness to the development team, our last official look at how the game looks was in February based off the prototype they began developing in January (and said footage was never released fully in direct feed format). It's probably best on holding fire on judgement until the eventual re-reveal of the game.

Even in August's video update they made a point of showing the game in wireframe mode (which nobody really uses to work in with UE4, so I hear) to avoid showing unfinished graphics, because they're clearly not comfortable showing it off in any official capacity yet. They seem to be following the older game development mentality of not glossing the game up for the sake of pre-release footage, which may later lead to a "downgrade" as visual changes are demanded for performance reasons.

The leaflet could have passed us by entirely if fans didn't spot it on Twitter, and Shenmue Dojo's Switch going personally to the UE4 conference to pick a leaflet up for himself.

On the plus side, though, the environment looks much improved over February. Foliage is denser and more fitting for the location, there looks like more verticality in the terrain, the Bailu Village homes look more diverse than the straw huts we saw copy and pasted in old images and footage, and the really intense colours look in-step with Shenmue II's aesthetic.

Spaghetti

why

-----

But to make the bump worthwhile here's a link to a recent interview with Shenmue III Producer Cedric Biscay.

Main info is that a.) they're still gunning for a December 2017 release, and b.) PC and PS4 versions will launch simultaneously.

Next week should be update week, if they don't hold it back until exactly the final day of the month the following Monday.

Don't expect much, though. We've been told multiple times not to expect anything big before December. Yu Suzuki appears to be going to LA that month too, so most signs are pointing to a PSX re-reveal.

Ban Puncher

image.php

Project Update #61 - Halloween Greetings

g6LmHhY.jpg

Witch Shenhua and Pumpkin Patch Chai

And yes, that is a Kenji Miyawaki original!

But one person who will not be going out to do trick-or-treat this year is this man.

6cEAT1M.jpg

Yu-san has been hard at work to bring us the biggest treat of all, and now he has begun the momentous undertaking that is the signed rewards! Everyday Yu-san has been putting his signature to the Kenji Miyawaki illustrations, and thanks to your gracious and sincerely appreciated support, the number of illustrations to be signed is reaching the 5,000 mark!

Maybe next year Yu-san will be able to go trick-or-treating in his Ryo costume…
From all of us of us here, Happy Halloween!

Nice ! Can't wait to receive my signed collector edition. Unfortunately, it seems they'll ship the goodies separately. What I mean by that is that the collector edition may not have a collector edition package.

Spaghetti

Lame update for the most part. Art is cool... Anyways Let's just hope they give something great at psx.
It's basically confirmed their next big update is December, and with Yu Suzuki in LA that month and PSX too, it's kind of a foregone conclusion that a re-reveal is imminent.

Spaghetti

I'm going to PSX. If Yu is there on stage I'm gonna go nuts. I'm going to be this dude 2.0.

IAkAPwq.gif
Appearing on stage might be a bit of a stretch but all signs appear to point towards the game being there at least.

And I say this as someone who's been sceptical about another public showing before E3 2017.

New Update: Yu Suzuki on the Music of Shenmue

Hello Everyone!

Shenmue would not be Shenmue without the music. The right song sets the tempo and the atmosphere, immersing you in the world and the moment.

This month, Yu-san gives an interview on the process of choosing music in the world of Shenmue, his experience and influences with music, and what music means in the creation of a game. Please enjoy!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1751809

Nice short video about the music.

Spaghetti

Why does he like wearing scrubs?

Anyways, good update. Nice hearing new music!
It's probably comfy. Considering some of the staff (Yu included) are sleeping at the office, it looks like the guy has just opted to wear pyjamas 24/7.

Technically it's not new music, though. With the exception of the first song, which was made for the Kickstarter opening last year, the other two are from the huge song library from the original development of Shenmue/Shenmue II.

The second tune is like a slower, less instrumental version of the Shenhua's House (Day) music, and the third was actually found unused in Shenmue II's files around this time last year.

Overall, I agree it was a good update. Especially with PSX coming up this Saturday...

Maligna

Banned
The Shenmue Dojo website will be doing a live reaction stream for PSX, hoping there will be something Shenmue related shown.

The same stream will also have the premiere of the fan made "Shenmue II: The Movie".

Curious if anything Shenmue related will be shown. It would be nice to see but at the same time I'd be just as happy without. As long as they're working on the game I can wait as long as it takes. Hopefully they're not feeling pressured to show something because anything remotely unpolished will be judged harshly going by past reveals.

I read the original Shenmue cost sega tens of millions of dollars to make. How is Shenmue 3 being made off a kickstarter that made 6ish million dollars? I hope this game is a humongous success and feels like a Dreamcast game

Top Bottom