• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 Kickstarter (PC/PS4) Thread 2: New KS Record at $6.3m

orient

Neo Member
The character looks awesome in motion, and I'm really surprised by how faithful it is to the style of the Dreamcast games. This makes me want the new Ryo model even more, but they may be saving that for the major reveal.

I have faith in the team but I've got to admit, the updates are fairly thin for a game that's supposedly releasing in 6 months. It won't, obviously, but I was still expecting more substance at this stage. We've seen quick snippets of a few environments, a few animations and one new character model...and that's about it. I really don't want to spoil myself, so when the more substantial stuff does start coming I probably won't even watch it anyway, but I'll feel more comfortable when there is stuff I need to ignore.

*Also, the character was in a file called Trunk/Design/ so he could be called Trunk?

ArjanN

He looks like Feng from Tekken, or Retsu from Grappler Baki, which I guess are more or less the same chinese kung fu master trope.

_Ryo_

Looks like I am probably right we wont see anything substantial until at least November.

Prediction: November = delay announcement + trailer that kickstarters backers saw at a dinner.

Charamiwa

Banned
That model looks really good. If it animates well too, it's gonna be a treat to see all those characters come to life.

No E3 is really a bummer. I wonder if the decision come from Sony. Last year, their conference was really exclusive, only their biggest games with the most impressive trailers were there. No Nier, no Persona, no Yakuza, no Gravity Rush... Getting to that Sony E3 stage isn't easy and maybe Shenmue just isn't up to those standards.

Of course I have nothing to base this on, but that's the thing: we know so little about this game. Some backers said it looked great a year ago, but that's pretty much it.

What's the next most likely event for a reveal, PSX?

Gamescom in August is getting pretty big, and of course TGS which may be the most practical from a logistics point of view, though not necessarily the best in terms of exposure.

Spaghetti

Looks like I am probably right we wont see anything substantial until at least November.

Prediction: November = delay announcement + trailer that kickstarters backers saw at a dinner.
I want to go out on a limb and say we'll be hearing more before the end of the summer. I've been wrong before, but I dunno if they'll let the issue fester that long. As we can at least tell from this no-show E3 announcement, they're learning to get out in front of potential PR hazards early.

What's the next most likely event for a reveal, PSX?

Gamescom in August is getting pretty big, and of course TGS which may be the most practical from a logistics point of view, though not necessarily the best in terms of exposure.
PSX seems logical. Remote chance for TGS, but it's not the show it once was and arguably there are more eyes on PSX anyway.

No E3 is really a bummer. I wonder if the decision come from Sony. Last year, their conference was really exclusive, only their biggest games with the most impressive trailers were there. No Nier, no Persona, no Yakuza, no Gravity Rush... Getting to that Sony E3 stage isn't easy and maybe Shenmue just isn't up to those standards.
Nah. Sony hitched their wagon to Shenmue in a way they haven't for those other series, and I'm pretty sure if Yu Suzuki came to them with something he was personally confident in showing they'd probably take it and slot it nicely somewhere between the AAA and smaller games as a "king of the indies".

As the timing stands, this was almost certainly a YSnet decision to keep knuckling down on development while they've got the time, and avoid the tail-chasing of a prolonged PR cycle.

It's a disappointment for the greater good. My patience varies but at least we know we will have some milestones coming up like backer pledges being able to be increased, as well as an invertible delay announcement. Surely they will need to counter that disappointment with a trailer or something to help us happy.

schaft0620

At this point I would want all news for S3 to come from Kickstater emails. I want something substantial in terms of a trailer before PSX or a delay announced.I know the games getting delayed and thats OK but, you can't stay dark all year when they haven't officially delayed the game. We should be the first to know.

Spaghetti

At this point I would want all news for S3 to come from Kickstater emails. I want something substantial in terms of a trailer before PSX or a delay announced.I know the games getting delayed and thats OK but, you can't stay dark all year when they haven't officially delayed the game. We should be the first to know.
The area that's nagging me right now is what they'll do to soften the blow of a delay, because it's possibly coming down the pipe sooner rather than later.

A trailer is probably out of the question; because it'll just be a waste when they opted out of E3 to avoid a tail-chasing, prolonged press cycle and focus on development in the first place.

The backer demo is... not impossible, but I dunno how I feel about that releasing before a formal trailer. That'd be a very weird way to do it. Not bad, just... weird.

I guess there are a few things they could show in a video update to make it sting less, but we should keep expectations reeled in where possible.

--------------

As an aside, the new character already has fans.

DBAbQE1VwAAdKQw.jpg

DBBiJR6U0AAyTyZ.jpg

mabec

Appreciate the updates on KS but I feel like you should be able to get more then 1 minute content... Most be other devs in the team they can briefly interview

Theonik

Appreciate the updates on KS but I feel like you should be able to get more then 1 minute content... Most be other devs in the team they can briefly interview
These things take surprisingly a lot of time to put together. That time goes off the developer's productivity. The project is already somewhat resource starved.

Spaghetti

In fairness, it's crunch time at the studio, and this is really only the first time they've done an update this short.

We get one of these a month. That's more than I get from all the other kickstarters I've backed.

Spaghetti

Double post but thought here was the best place to post this:

Fig CEO Justin Bailey apparently saw a current build of Shenmue III on a business trip to Japan, calls it "a beautiful game", and that "It looks great."

Source. (Thanks to FlagshipFighter on the Shenmue Dojo for finding this)

Neat that he got to see the game.

Jibby

Neo Member
I definitely feel that they're playing their cards close to their chests with Shenmue III. It's a shame that we're not going to see anything at E3, but when that trailer finally does drop, there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to be mind blowing.

Pyrrhus

I was prepared to wait when I backed this and I trust them. This is a passion project and Suzuki is a visionary with his reputation on the line. Things will work out in the end.

Spaghetti

Let's hope this won't end up as a >mighty< mistake.
It won't
(probably)

All this and MN9 have in common is a funding platform.

MN9's major failings were a badly structured stretch goal list (endless superfluous shit like platforms and online/co-op modes), and head staff with very minimal experience.

Shenmue III is reuniting many of the staff from the original games under the series creator, and one of the world's most accomplished* game developers, Yu Suzuki; combined with new staff like fan-favourite NoconKid, and freelancers like Emmy-award winning Toshihiko Masada.

*actually accomplished, not like Inafune who coasted on worming his way up Capcom's corporate ladder

Anecdotally, my tattoo artist is friends with one of the artists who worked on MN9. From the beginning, the development process was poorly managed and at one time he apparently wanted to commit suicide. I highly doubt Shenmue or most other well publicized Kickstarters are even in the same galaxy as MN9's development.

MN9 was a Kickstarter that was designed to get attention and funding so that its creative director could start other projects. Shenmue is not.

Inafune also does not have the fantastic reputation and passion that YS has. He is, as one might say, "a businessman".

Edit: This is unrelated but in Japanese backer sounds way too much like bakka. Yu should refer to us as something else.

Maligna

Banned
So my co-host on the Shenmue AM2 podcast Andrew and I released our latest episode and I'm really proud of it, so I thought I'd share.

It's our list of the top music tracks from the first Shenmue game. We play our favorites and talk over then a bit, explaining why we like them and what feelings they evoke. I really think any Shenmue fan would have a good time listening to this episode.

http://shenmueam2podcast.libsyn.com/episode-18-of-the-shenmue-am2-podcast

It's also on YouTube
https://youtu.be/pka_Bp2kTks

And you can subscribe via iTunes if you want:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/shenmue-am2-podcast/id1166752613?mt=2

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So my co-host on the Shenmue AM2 podcast Andrew and I released our latest episode and I'm really proud of it, so I thought I'd share.

It's our list of the top music tracks from the first Shenmue game. We play our favorites and talk over then a bit, explaining why we like them and what feelings they evoke. I really think any Shenmue fan would have a good time listening to this episode.

It's also on YouTube

Interesting.

Maligna

Banned
Kickstarter Updates #70

Hello Everyone!

Today we would like to share details about Shenmue III at gamescom 2017 which will be held at Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany this August. Yu Suzuki himself will of course be there to give the latest news about Shenmue III's development!

Shenmue III at gamescom 2017

The business area

We will be participating in the business area. The area is limited to media and other business members of the game industry. Unfortunately, general admittance visitors cannot enter this area. For the latest on-site info, we please ask you to check the various media outlets.

The entertainment area

This area is open to the public. We have no events planned for this venue at the moment, but we are communicating with the organizers to see if we can do something with the fans in this area. Should we have an event in the entertainment area, we will notify you with the details as soon as possible.

*Further details for gamescom 2017 can be found on their official website.

Thank you as always for your continued support!

Ludens

Banned
So, I just did the slacker backer thing with Paypal for the 29$ tier, but how does this work?
I just paid without creating an account or similar.

Spaghetti

So, I just did the slacker backer thing with Paypal for the 29$ tier, but how does this work?
I just paid without creating an account or similar.
You have to provide an email address with Paypal, no?

Details/the backer survey will most likely go to that email address when it comes time to fulfill your order.

Hm, I don't think they will have their own booth but might be using a locked room by one of their partners, supposedly Sony. SEGA does basically the same and rents some space with Koch Media's Deep Silver.
However, I anticipate an open autograph session, given Yu's popularity, for the sake of big PR and media coverage.

Spaghetti

Hm, I don't think they will have their own booth but might be using a locked room by one of their partners, supposedly Sony. SEGA does basically the same and rents some space with Koch Media's Deep Silver.

However, I anticipate an open autograph session, given Yu's popularity, for the sake of big PR and media coverage.
We'll have to wait and see R.E: having a room or having a booth. I guess a room might make more sense, but the booths in the business area don't look particularly flashy affairs and seem just an open air version of getting a room.

Just so nobody gets it twisted (and I've seen this mentioned a few times on other sites), displaying in the business area 100% does not mean a private showing. The update specifically tells people to keep an eye on media outlets for on-site information.

brett2

It's also on YouTube

Hey man I've been listening since the beginning. This was indeed a good episode. Thanks for helping keep things interesting while the community waits for more substantial project updates.

We'll have to wait and see R.E: having a room or having a booth. I guess a room might make more sense, but the booths in the business area don't look particularly flashy affairs and seem just an open air version of getting a room...

As far as I know, gamescom's policy obliges exhibitors displaying their products in the business area inside their own booth to secure space within the entertainment area, too. Thus, it will have to be shared space with some of their partners.
What bothers me though is people hoping for an announcement by SEGA to coincide with the presence of Shenmue III might be in for another disappointment since the company is nowhere to be found among the exhibitors. I will keep an eye on that list.

Spaghetti

As far as I know, gamescom's policy obliges exhibitors displaying their products in the business area inside their own booth to secure space within the entertainment area, too. Thus, it will have to be shared space with some of their partners.
Okay, so on that basis they've got a room.

Not that it particularly matters for those not attending Gamescom personally. We've already had the statement of intention for whatever is shown to press to be covered publicly, but it seems a few media outlets are glossing over that...

What bothers me though is people hoping for an announcement by SEGA to coincide with the presence of Shenmue III might be in for another disappointment since the company is nowhere to be found among the exhibitors. I will keep an eye on that list.
The timing would be great, but yeah, expecting any kind of synergy from SEGA is a pipe dream.

Maligna

Banned
Hey man I've been listening since the beginning. This was indeed a good episode. Thanks for helping keep things interesting while the community waits for more substantial project updates.

Thanks very much! Doing this show is as much to help us pass the time until Shenmue 3 as it is for our listeners. :) Feels good to jump in and talk about Shenmue every few weeks.

Glad that I didn't book to go now then, if it's closed off to the press only and couldn't get in. That is unless they do go ahead and do something in the public areas as well?

Spaghetti

Hopefully YSnet can put something together for those who were already going.

Probably won't be much, as the update makes it clear what they're showing to the press will make it online anyway, but it'll be cool if they can scramble a little bonus for fans along with a meet n' greet session with Yu Suzuki.

Kiske

I may be wrong but last year SEGA wasn't on the exhibitors list and they still managed to make "Sega Central" broadcasts from the "Dawn of War III" booth (Deep Silver) and managed to give an interview through the voice of (now former) SEGA Europe CEO Jurgen Post (with him talking about Shenmue HD).

SSHD-_RPS-650.png

I've still some hope that with or without SEGA on the official exhibitors list, some announcement concerning Shenmue HD could happen (please).

New update about Gamescom:

Greetings Everyone!

Gamescom 2017 update for coming your way!

LjWZ4pA.jpg

Meet and Greet at the Entertainment Area

We are go for a Shenmue event at the general admission entertainment area! Unfortunately, we will not be doing a large event like showcasing promotional videos or placing playable demos in this venue, but Yu Suzuki will be there and give all of you a big welcome greeting. Don't miss this chance to meet Yu-san in person! He is looking forward to meet you at gamescom. There will be a further update with time and venue for the event in the entertainment area.

Latest news about Shenmue III will be shared in the business area, and we will be posting an update through Kickstarter and our official website at the same timing. So stay tuned to our webpage and Kickstarter page during the gamescom.

Please see the official gamescom site for general event information.

Thank you as always for your support!

Update is: "Hey guys, we like to send you something every month but this month we're trying to make sure we have something great for GamesCom. Things will be great then. Please get excited."

I'm fine with that.

Top Bottom