• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 To Be Much Larger Than Its Predecessors; Half Of The Features Are Brand New For The Series.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://wccftech.com/shenmue-3-larger-features/#nnn

In a recent interview from the G-Fusion Tour in China, Yu Suzuki and Hiroaki Takeuchi talked about Shenmue 3.

Yu describes the new combat as “very varied, richer, and more playable”. Takeuchi-san elaborates that the goal is to create a combat system that welcomes players of different skill levels, and that a lot of consideration of design and balance went into making combat feel fun for all players. He finishes saying a lot of effort went into the combat. Yu’s ambitions are to show a lifelike representation of Chinese martial arts.

Some mini-games from the original won’t return, but there are new ones included that they feel are more interesting. Old mini-games confirmed to return are Lucky Hit, Excite QTE, capsule toys, and yes, forklifts.

Mini-games will hold greater impact and influence over the wider game because of better integration, and there will be surprises after playing for a while. Takeuchi-san is looking forward to player reactions on this aspect.

Yu’s comments in 2017 about Shenmue III being a 70/30 split between old and new ideas has changed thanks to development advancing, and now stands at 50/50.

Side quests and the main story will have better integration, and form a better closed loop. A better translation might be able to elaborate on this, as machine translation threw up the word “branch” and might be related to Yu talking about quests that could have branching outcomes. Side quests will no longer be isolated from the main plot. This was apparently considered for the originals, but couldn’t be achieved at the time.

Yu says Shenmue III is more of a hardcore game than the originals because of elements of playability and increased degree of freedom, it seems to be implied Shenmue III may take longer to complete than the originals (Yu says I & II are single week games, III is a multi-week game). Also seems to infer players can interact, or not interact, with content how they choose. Not completely clear on what this means.

Yu implies once the main story has wrapped up, there are other storylines to explore and systems to play. Sounds to go beyond just the mini-game and combat collection Shenmue II had once you cleared the game, and implies possibly being able to mop that extra content up without having to start a new save.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Does that imply the story will be finished so we don't have to wait 10-20 more years for some closure? I mean I'm sure people may or may not want a 4 but it has to end sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling this will be a Yakuza wannabe, and its not a bad thing though, but I never finished any of the series..too long and life interferes.

Geki-D

Banned
Feeling this will be a Yakuza wannabe, and its not a bad thing though, but I never finished any of the series..too long and life interferes.
Yakuza has a poster of Shenmue in it's room that it strokes and falls asleep staring at every night, wishing it was that ancient hero.

Hanon

Banned
i wish it the best, but i have a feeling this will end up with the consequences of a monkey's paw.

ROMhack

Like every other game in existence, it's good if it maintains that duration but otherwise Yu Suzuki sounds like he's stuck in an early 2000's mode of thinking.

I bought Shenmue HD just before Christmas and while I really liked it, I think the game is overlong for what it is. It drags heavily around the Harbour section with those five days feeling extremely padded out. The game moves at a glacial pace and is methodical in general (which I enjoy) but those five days of forklift driving are flat out boring.

He's wrong about the game taking a week to beat. It took me at least two at least and it's not as if I have a busy life right now. Not sure what he meant by that.

More to the point, I really don't want Shenmue to ape the pointless, overarching, sprawling, vastly infinite but surface-level thin depth of every other open world game on any major console right now. Shenmue strikes me as a detective game above all, which is where its roots should stand. It's an interesting style we don't see much.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Half of the new features will be more tracks to race your fork lift around on
And petting multiple small animals instead of just the kitty

Kazza

You can read the full Kickstarter update here.

It looks like the English dub is being recorded in LA, which is a relief (iirc, for Shenmue 1 & 2 they recorded everything in Japan, using whichever foreigners were available - with predictable results). They say the recording is around 70-80% done.

The actress playing Shenhua has been revealed, and she seems to have a pretty decent recording history:

51b5e7562c8a07097407cb118e953458_original.jpg

I like the below photo of Corey playing the game while Yu sips his coffee. I wonder if he has the guts to give honest feedback while Yu is sitting right next to him! I heard that the actors often didn't know the context of the lines they were reading in Shenmue 1 & 2, so hopefully being able to play sections of the game beforehand will help.

a1d12b40d3d5aa6ee49d82722f6e774e_original.jpg

It's pretty amazing that we're getting voice acting at all, let alone dual Japanese/English. When the Kickstarter was announced I assumed that that would be one cost they would have to cut.

The hype is getting real now!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Still looking forward to this, but not letting myself get hyped. I'm hoping it's good, but will take it as whatever it is. Like RPS said, hopefully this is actually a PS4 game and not a PS5 game.

Geki-D

Banned
I would have prefered if Corey Marshall didn't return. He honestly fucking sucked in the last games and he's done very little since.

TLZ

Banned
You can read the full Kickstarter update here.

It looks like the English dub is being recorded in LA, which is a relief (iirc, for Shenmue 1 & 2 they recorded everything in Japan, using whichever foreigners were available - with predictable results). They say the recording is around 70-80% done.

The actress playing Shenhua has been revealed, and she seems to have a pretty decent recording history:

51b5e7562c8a07097407cb118e953458_original.jpg

I like the below photo of Corey playing the game while Yu sips his coffee. I wonder if he has the guts to give honest feedback while Yu is sitting right next to him! I heard that the actors often didn't know the context of the lines they were reading in Shenmue 1 & 2, so hopefully being able to play sections of the game beforehand will help.

a1d12b40d3d5aa6ee49d82722f6e774e_original.jpg

It's pretty amazing that we're getting voice acting at all, let alone dual Japanese/English. When the Kickstarter was announced I assumed that that would be one cost they would have to cut.

The hype is getting real now!

Sorry for being nasty, not intended, but I couldn't help not laugh at that last name.

elCT

Neo Member
I would be surprised if it were the same size and scope as the first installments with the same gameplay.

Kazza

Nice little Polygon interview with Corey Marshall, voice of Ryo. This was probably the most reassuring part:

Let me put it this way — Yu Suzuki did mention himself that the [game’s scope is very large] this time. It’s not a budget, cut down version of Shenmue.

Dontero

Banned
Makes sense.

Back then developement of games was incredibly hard. Stuff like people take for granted today good tools, maya/3dsmax, blender, engines you can use etc were not existing back then, pretty much if you wanted to make games you had to make your own tools and since devs made games for consoles that stuff was also highly console specific not easily ported.

Today, 1 man can create more than whole studio back then and you can frequently see this in games like Stardew Valley which is bigger and better in every sense without being done by team of professionals.

Stuff like landscapes which murdered performance and people hand to sculp by hand months upon months are done with one click in generators and then just artists can put finishing touches.

Enjay

Banned
They really need to stop talking about this already. Just show it if it's ever ready, this car salesman shit (70/30 new.... now 50/50 new thanks to "advanced development") isn't helping.

Shin

Banned
Dzxrv6MWwAAVq-s.jpg

Twitter acting up for you guys as well?
Been having issues for some hours now with the layout/site as a whole.

Verdanth

Yakuza is a Shenmue wannabe though...

Well... It started as one but right now I stick my head saying its in a different league of its own.

If only we could be sure that Shenmue 3 will be just as good as Yakuza 0, 5, 6 or Kiwami 2 though...

Last edited:

Esppiral

Maybe its just me, but the models they have been showing so far look super rounded, their shoulders and other parts are prerfectly rounded and do not show any angular part, either these are the highest poly models to date or those are bullshots.

Even recent games like KH show 3D character with angular parts specially shoulders and elbows...

Last edited:

dottme

I need to check how much exactly I spent on the Kickstarter.
But I’m still exited for it as if it was yesterday.

Kazza

The screenshots are looking better and better, but the important thing is how it all looks in motion. Roll on March 9th!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
What do they mean by "promise"?

Sounds a little shady...

But I'm happy to learn a little more about how the game will actually play.

Very much looking forwad to seeing the new trailer next month.

Top Bottom