• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III E3 2019 trailer | PC version exclusive to Epic Games Store

Kazza

My favourite part of the trailer :messenger_heart:

y3TrGnQ.gif

The reaction on the little girl's face is priceless, like "WTF just happened?". The pat on the head at the end is just Yu Suzuki icing on the Shenmue cake.

Von Hugh

I backed the project simply due to the support for the developers and the principle that dream projects like this can still happen even after 15 years of hiatus or so.

But oh boy does the game look rough. It's like we are back in year 2013 even though the engine is Unreal Engine 4.

Kazza

That's Shenmue alright. Nothing more, nothing less. As it should be.

Looks perfect to me. Can't wait.

Yep. I can't see how old Shenmue players could possibly be disappointed with this. I hope it can appeal to relative newcomers as well (of which I count myself as one). To nitpick, I don't like the way he walks - he moves his arms a little too much. As I said, a small nitpick.

Kazza

I backed the project simply due to the support for the developers and the principle that dream projects like this can still happen even after 15 years of hiatus or so.

But oh boy does the game look rough. It's like we are back in year 2013 even though the engine is Unreal Engine 4.

Did you seriously expect anything else for a kickstarted open world game with 200+ NPCs? The only remotely fair comparison is with another open world kickstarted game, such as Kingdom Come Deliverance. I think Shenmue 3 compares pretty favourably in terms of character models, animations, environments etc. Hell, you mentioned 2013, and even the most insanely high budget AAA game of that year, GTA5 PS3 edition doesn't look that great now. For a low budget kickstarter to come even close to what a AAA behemoth could achieve in 2013 is a pretty big achievement in my opinion.

Kazza

As an aside, does anyone here actually play the mini-games much? I'm not a fan of games of chance, so was never a big fan of lucky hit etc. I'm looking forward to the training sections though.

Havoc2049

As an aside, does anyone here actually play the mini-games much? I'm not a fan of games of chance, so was never a big fan of lucky hit etc. I'm looking forward to the training sections though.

I played the arcade games a ton and liked all the combat focused training and mini-games.

I spammed the dice game on the docks in Hong Kong, so I didn't have worry about money the rest of the game. Then I was free to buy all the move scrolls and work on my toy collection. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
- Says EGS, unlike Steam, is here to make gaming better it remains unclear how EGS exlusives help gaming

12% royalty fee versus 35% royalty fee. This is all the Deep Silver executives were looking at when they decided to make Shenmue III an EGS exclusive. Pushing everyone over to the EGS to get that extra percentage on each copy sold is a really good way to maximize profit. If Shenmue III was sold as a $60 game, Deep Silver and YuNet would be getting $39 per copy sold on Steam vs. close to $53 per copy sold on EGS. That proposition is too good to turn down.

UnrealEngine%2FNews%2FAnnouncing+the+Epic+Games+Store%2FEpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df66848d0d804e4366355775eae247a9abdeb1e7.jpg

But at the same time it sucks that Kickstarter backers don;t get the Steam version that they thought they paid for. Hoeg Law did a great video on this explaining that Deep Silver is actually in the right here, and can do this without any repercussions for getting sued. Kickstarter has some pretty lax policies when it comes to things like this. But it is still bad for to anger the people who backed this project.

A.Romero

12% royalty fee versus 35% royalty fee. This is all the Deep Silver executives were looking at when they decided to make Shenmue III an EGS exclusive. Pushing everyone over to the EGS to get that extra percentage on each copy sold is a really good way to maximize profit. If Shenmue III was sold as a $60 game, Deep Silver and YuNet would be getting $39 per copy sold on Steam vs. close to $53 per copy sold on EGS. That proposition is too good to turn down.

UnrealEngine%2FNews%2FAnnouncing+the+Epic+Games+Store%2FEpicGamesStore_InfoGraphic-1920x1080-df66848d0d804e4366355775eae247a9abdeb1e7.jpg

But at the same time it sucks that Kickstarter backers don;t get the Steam version that they thought they paid for. Hoeg Law did a great video on this explaining that Deep Silver is actually in the right here, and can do this without any repercussions for getting sued. Kickstarter has some pretty lax policies when it comes to things like this. But it is still bad for to anger the people who backed this project.

I understand what you are saying but the only way this would be fair is if devs published on both platforms and gamers decide where they want to buy. As a consumer, I feel it's unjust that I should pay the same amount of money for a game on a platform with considerably less features. However, some gamers might be willing to sacrifice features in order to help the devs. So the market decides! At least I would expect EGS offering a lower price in order to compete but they are expecting to charge the same (or more in the case of regionalized pricing and payment fees).

Money hatting exclusives it's only telling us that the market does not find EGS as an attractive offering. Why not invest in getting the platform to the level of it's competitors instead of buying exclusives?

That said, I never thought anyone would have basis to sue Deep Silver but that doesn't make it right. I decided not to chip in through the KS campaign but I would be really pissed if I did.

I understand what you are saying but the only way this would be fair is if devs published on both platforms and gamers decide where they want to buy. As a consumer, I feel it's unjust that I should pay the same amount of money for a game on a platform with considerably less features. However, some gamers might be willing to sacrifice features in order to help the devs. So the market decides! At least I would expect EGS offering a lower price in order to compete but they are expecting to charge the same (or more in the case of regionalized pricing and payment fees).

Money hatting exclusives it's only telling us that the market does not find EGS as an attractive offering. Why not invest in getting the platform to the level of it's competitors instead of buying exclusives?

That said, I never thought anyone would have basis to sue Deep Silver but that doesn't make it right. I decided not to chip in through the KS campaign but I would be really pissed if I did.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I am just looking at this from the point of view of Deep Silver. If they gave people a choice of either Steam or EGS, then they are just going to be losing out on the additional profits that could be made by staying with EGS exclusivity.

Obviously, EGS will not win out on feature sets or give users any extra incentive to go with it over the Steam version. So Deep Silver will just take that money hat and just push exclusivity instead to ring out as much additional money that they can out of Shenmue III Which might not be a bad thing if it means putting more money in the pockets YSNet.

Al the same, I agree that messing with the initial backers is just bad practice in general.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I agree with most of what you are saying. I am just looking at this from the point of view of Deep Silver. If they gave people a choice of either Steam or EGS, then they are just going to be losing out on the additional profits that could be made by staying with EGS exclusivity.

Obviously, EGS will not win out on feature sets or give users any extra incentive to go with it over the Steam version. So Deep Silver will just take that money hat and just push exclusivity instead to ring out as much additional money that they can out of Shenmue III Which might not be a bad thing if it means putting more money in the pockets YSNet.

Al the same, I agree that messing with the initial backers is just bad practice in general.
No hate towards Deep Silver from me. It's EGS that I find a bit scummy.

Holammer

Time to give this thread a little bump.
A message from Ys Net, Epic Games and Deep Silver

"We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us."

Last edited:

Barnabot

Time to give this thread a little bump.
A message from Ys Net, Epic Games and Deep Silver

"We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us."
But that's nothing but an empty gesture. They will just try to sell you on why you should accept Shenmue on EGS instead of Steam. Not that they will release the game on Steam anytime soon.

Top Bottom