• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherman Oaks Principal Says She Is Being Demoted Because She Is Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

SHERMAN OAKS (CBSLA.com) — The controversy over a black principal at a charter elementary school in Sherman Oaks has now gone to the LAUSD school board.

The board voted 6-1 to demote the principal to assistant principal.

Principal Kesia Doucette says this all started with a parent meeting that didn't go well in October. It has now spiraled into accusations of racial discrimination that have some parents divided.

For the first time, we are hearing from the principal at the center of allegations of racial discrimination at Riverside Drive Charter Elementary.

”I am aware that I'm the only female African-American principal within a 10 mile radius of the other schools. And there have been things that have been said," Doucette said.

Doucette says a small group of parents have attacked the way she dresses and made derogatory comments about the color of her skin.

”I was told that I should be embarrassed to be a black woman," Doucette said.

Deon Bush is a parent to two students. He says a small group of white, affluent parents are dividing the school. He brought a stack of letters from fellow parents who he says admire and respect Doucette.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017...ys-she-is-being-demoted-because-she-is-balck/

Riverside Drive Charter Elementary seems to be an affiliated Charter school, which is a charter school run by the LAUSD school board.

”Basically because they did not like the fact that I was an African-American female," Doucette said about the opposition she faced.

”Within my five years, I did experience a lot of racist behavior," she said, adding that some parents complained that she talked only with black parents and didn't give other parents equal attention. The school's population of black students is 8 percent, Doucette said.

There were also complaints about her choice of clothing, her cellphone use and her decision to have her nephew attend the school, she said. These parents also questioned her qualifications, she said.

Parents from perhaps 10 families had complaints about her, Doucette said. They took their complaints to Doucette's former director, she said

Doucette said she has now been made an assistant principal, a demotion, and assigned to three separate schools. She declined to name the schools, saying she isn't familiar enough with them yet.

Things reached a boiling point about six months ago, Doucette said. At a parent meeting, a person made an offensive, and untrue, remark about a woman who was not present, Doucette said. That later led to a confrontation on the campus between two fathers, which students witnessed. Some questioned Doucette's handling of the situation.

http://www.dailynews.com/social-aff...ays-race-played-role-in-her-demotion-by-lausd

Derwind

I respect anyone who works in the education system, I wouldn't be able to stay composed around the insanity that are some parents in this world.

There were no parents at the meeting speaking out against Doucette’s return. Earlier this month, Doucette’s critics also refused to comment, saying they feared for their safety.

Bullshit, they just don't want to be seen as out & out racists.

Beartruck

Principals rarely interact with students unless they're being shitbirds. I guarantee several of those parents had kids sent to the principal's office and thought "How dare that black woman yell at my perfect little angel."

commedieu

Banned
Principals rarely interact with students unless they're being shitbirds. I guarantee several of those parents had kids sent to the principal's office and thought "How dare that black woman yell at my perfect little angel."

Questioning her qualifications is the dead giveaway. Old hat. Clearly she got handed the job because minorities can't make it without those.

How dare she use a cellph0ne too?

Ugh. And i hate the way that bitch eats crackers.. etc..etc.

Omadahl

Banned
I could completely see every complaint being fabricated. At my elementary school, we had a third grader accuse our principal of pulling her hair. Last year, her brother made up a story of a teacher elbowing him and his mom called the police. Their mom encourages this behavior, while she herself attempted to sue a kid's restaurant by lying about her daughter being injured there. Some parents are just plain fucking nuts and they know that school boards rarely support staff and administration for fear of being sued themselves.

Tripon

It depends on the school, but yeah, you are right, generally. The principal is usually the face of the school and handling the budget and dealing with the district office. It's usually the assistant principals who deal with the day to day stuff like disciplining students.

The crazy thing is that it seems to be a fight between parents that caused her to be in trouble. She's not in charge of that shit.

Slayven

I respect anyone who works in the education system, I wouldn't be able to stay composed around the insanity that are some parents in this world.

Bullshit, they just don't want to be seen as out & out racists.
Cause we know principles are ganged up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom