• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: A school principal will pay students to forgo electronics this summer.

KSweeley

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...-fddbd8359dee_story.html?wpisrc=nl_amk&wpmm=1

Is this even legal/ethical??? A principal for a D.C. school just stated she would pay students $100 each if they stopped using electronics and video screens during the summer:

With the school year over, countless students will binge on movies, television and video games during their summer break. Many will also have endless access to cellphones that would be off-limits if they were in class.

One educator in the nation’s capital wants to curb the tech deluge.

Diana Smith, principal at Washington Latin Public Charter School, pledged to pay her students $100 each out of her own pocket if they forgo electronics and video screens each Tuesday until school resumes at the end of August.

“I don’t like when teachers bribe their students with food, so I am breaking my own rules,” Smith said in an interview. “But I do think they need help with this particular relationship.”

Smith, who has led the D.C. charter school since 2008, is concerned that teenagers are addicted to their phones. They are losing sleep because they are texting in the middle of the night. Social media has intensified middle and high school drama.

“I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the ubiquity of the phones in their lives,” she said.

Latin, in Northwest, enrolls students from fifth to 12th grade. During the middle school’s summer send-off assembly, Smith told her seventh- and eighth-grade students (and their parents) about her pledge. The parents cheered, she said. Some also heard grumbling as students realized what it would take to earn a Benjamin.

That’s 11 whole days of no phones, computers, tablets, video games or television. If the students are not at home, they’ll have to figure out how to contact their parents. At the end of the summer, two adults over the age of 21 will have to send a letter to Smith certifying that Tuesdays were tech-free.

Latin enrolled 180 seventh- and eighth-graders in the past school year, but only those returning in August are eligible. Smith estimates that’s 160 kids, which means theoretically she could be out $16,000.

Lord Fagan

Nvmd

EDIT: It's unclear whether this is a one payment or weekly payment. Because they're gonna be dishing out a ton of cash per student per week of Summer, and I don't see how that happens, or how they're gonna enforce it.

EDIT: Ah, $16K. I should be more thorough with my reading. Still pretty sure this kind of motivation is fleeting at best, I don't know what kind of behavior it actually promotes, because it's a thin line between bribery and a semi harmless bonus.

Daedardus

Don't know why it would be illegal. And it's not the whole summer, just one day in a week. Wouldn't do it myself and it's a bit of a dumb measure, that won't solve anything. But I don't think there are any laws in place of preventing such voluntary measures.

Aiii

So not worth it
Old people need to accept the world is different and move the fuck on. Nobody is going to learn anything. Appreciate anything. They are just gonna be more bored and annoyed for a measly 100 bucks.

Yeah we know, everything was better when you were young. Everything was better when I was young too, but I can fully understand kids nowadays don’t want to “Press Play On Tape” and wait an hour because they can’t remember the exact position on the casette tape they recorded Giana Sisters on.

Foffy

Banned
I can respect the notion, but I think a better thing to do is to raise awareness to addictiveness within the stuff the principal wants them to be averse from.

Having that in the background of my mind has helped me curb addictions. Being in environments where you're busy also helps too.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Kids would pay that money to have access to their tech.

So would a lot of parents, let's be honest.

Alavard

Diana Smith, principal at Washington Latin Public Charter School, pledged to pay her students $100 each out of her own pocket if they forgo electronics and video screens each Tuesday until school resumes at the end of August.

I'm a bit confused. The wording makes it sound like it's only each Tuesday that they need to not use electronics.

Dougald

That's mental, I can see why there is the tradition of sending kids to camp in the US then. Arranging childcare must be a nightmare for parents (but it must be great for the kids!)

Laieon

(but it must be great for the kids!)

Eh, honestly by the end of summer vacation I was always really bored. My cousins had a weird schedule where they would go to school for 9 weeks, then get 2 (3?) weeks off. That always sounded a lot better to me.

Lunar15

I don't know if this is a good plan, but I do think it's increasingly important to stress time without phones or screens for a while. I've had to re-train myself how to "be bored" every once in a while because I've found that it helps with my overall mood, productivity, and ability to think critically. Stuff like not reading my phone while in a line at the store or just having some quiet time where I'm not feeding into a distraction.

That said, having a "day" without it for a monetary prize doesn't really seem effective at accomplishing this.

Aeana

Please read the first post to keep yourself from looking silly.

It specifically says each Tuesday during summer break. One day per week.

JeTmAn81

I did the reading. :(

I actually haven't seen data on the benefits of unplugging - do you have anything to share?

It's mostly anecdotal articles that you'll see quite frequently, but here's an excerpt from a formal study:

My morning routine was completely different; I couldn’t check my phone, email, weather, or watch Sportscenter. My morning was not rushed; it was quiet and seemed slow. It was actually somewhat peaceful. Walking to class all day was different since I couldn’t listen to my iPod. This caused me to look around more at other people and actually pay attention to what was going on around me. Classes went better since I couldn’t text or get on the Internet, I took better notes and was more focused. I ate lunch alone because I couldn’t text anyone to meet up. Not only did I eat alone, but I of course couldn’t use my phone, iPod, or laptop, so I just sat there until I decided to look through some notes – which was actually productive

https://withoutmedia.wordpress.com/study-conclusions/benefits/

Another study found benefits to unplugging after work:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21728434

It is legal, that much is certain.

I hesitate to call it ethical because my ethics are...eclectic at best, but I could bullshit hypotheticals.

I remember my 4th grade teacher; he's the one that got me into proper problem solving. He'd reward students who could show that they could solve puzzles with cash, he'd reward kids who were thorough and neat with their work, and who also asked copious amounts of questions. He favored puzzles that had no single answer, or puzzles that were broken so we'd learn to look at the big picture; the argument as a whole.

Best teacher I ever had. He made it clear that sometimes you might not get rewarded immediately for the things you work toward. Sometimes you'll never get rewarded at all. But if you stop trying, you'll never know.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I think it's great, actually. There's nothing wrong with trying to get kids, for one day a week, to disconnect from electronics and actually experience the world around them a little bit. I honestly think it's sad that it's come to paying kids to do so but, it is what it is.

KillLaCam

Banned
How would that be unethical? I wouldn't do it because it's a tiny bit of money, but it's not hurting anyone or anything.

K-Marx

Banned
That's not the point. Electronics is a huge hit topic issue in schools today.

Kids are literally staring at their phones in class.

And that's different from staring out the window or doodling in your notebook, how?

Kids have ignored boring lectures since forever.

Top Bottom