• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shibata apologises for MH3 Ultimate shortages

cacildo

My conspiracy theory: nintendo is ditching retail, will focus on its smaller but buy anything on eshop at a high price userbase

(I dont believe this theory either, but i do buy stuff only from the eshop nowdays)

fates

Wanna skew purchases to eShop like that Fire Emblem US shortage conspiracy theory? :p

At least they gave Europe an apology, we got "it's on the eShop" when the issue was raised with Fire Emblem. And it's STILL not available for quick shipping on Amazon, you have to place the order and wait a few days extra.

A response which doesn't make dismissal of "pushing eShop" as easy. It really does seem as if NoA is the sloppiest of the trio as of now.

demigod

It's not a shortage in the US, it's retailers not wanting to stock them. The 2 Best Buys I went to, 1 didn't have any copy in, the other only had the copy that I preordered.

tbhysgb

In fact it's not a mainstream series outside of Japan, but apparently Capcom and Nintendo's strategy to make it more popular in the West is working out better than expected.

As a newcomer to MH I welcome it, but I hope to god they don't too much to make it appeal to a common denominator. I shudder still when I think about what Zipper did to Socom 4.

We've all seen it with plenty of series. Developers try to wrangle in a new crowd and end up pushing away all crowds. Socom 4 had the potential to have a constant 50,000 people on at all times, selling possibly 2-3 million over the course of its life. These developers are shooing away the tortoise approach to go after the hare.

Spiegel

In fact it's not a mainstream series outside of Japan, but apparently Capcom and Nintendo's strategy to make it more popular in the West is working out better than expected.

I think it's more likely that their strategy to make the series more popular with MHTri didn't go as good as expected, retailers got burned and they planned accordingly (and were too careful) this time.

MHTri had plenty of advertisement everywhere. I haven't seen that with Ultimate.

jkanownik

Could it be on the retail side? Them not wanting to stock a large amount of games in fear of them sitting on shelves for months?

The retail side is only part of the story. If Nintendo/Capcom believed in the titles they could build more and have them ready to ship out quickly. It only becomes an issue they need to comment on when they don't have reserve stock ready to go.

I think it's more likely that their strategy to make the series more popular with MHTri didn't go as good as expected, retailers got burned and they planned accordingly (and were too careful) this time.
In Europe right? In the US the game had continual shipments through summer and moved pretty briskly.

MHTri had plenty of advertisement everywhere. I haven't seen that with Ultimate.

Yeah, maybe some retailers overstocked Tri back in the day, so now they have been more conservative with their predictions.

By the way, frankly I was expecting 3DS version to bomb in EU/NA - lack of online, not HD, target demographics for that kind of "for-adults-only" niche game not there; I thought launching the same game on two platforms in the West was a terrible idea to begin with as Wii U version was going to cannibalize the other one, I wrote it so more than once so now I'm more than happy I have been proven wrong, as I love the game and I'm happy it's faring well in the West on Nintendo platforms.

Back in stock!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...about-lack-of-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-stock

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U stock has been replenished, Nintendo has told Eurogamer.

"Nintendo UK is pleased to confirm that further stock of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U is now available from retailers including GAME, Amazon.co.uk and ***********," a Nintendo spokesperson said in a statement.

"Both the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions of the game continue to be available from the Nintendo eShop."

Top Bottom