• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Ramenman

WOW, I finished the game, and that was one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. It's a very subjective one of course, I know some people just felt "what, that's it ? wtf?", but I just love the quirky way in which the game ends, the awesomest credits music ever and all.

And this wonderful piece of artwork. Gimme a damn poster.

Edit : Just so that nobody get confused, I saw the "real ending" right away. I didn't like Mk-II so I bought Mk-III before going to the last boss.

Tenbatsu

Ramenman said:
WOW, I finished the game, and that was one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. It's a very subjective one of course, I know some people just felt "what, that's it ? wtf?", but I just love the quirky way in which the game ends, the awesomest credits music ever and all.

And this wonderful piece of artwork. Gimme a damn poster.

Edit : Just so that nobody get confused, I saw the "real ending" right away. I didn't like Mk-II so I bought Mk-III before going to the last boss.
Try bitter, its fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I beat the game yesterday, and when it asked me to see the ending or the real ending, I chose ending thinking I could see the real ending afterwards. After a 10 second wtf moment, the credits rolled, and I was an idiot and saved when it asked me. Now if I load it, I go right to the difficulty select screen and go right to the first level.

Am I fucked? I could just blow through the game with all of my stuff again, and I plan to replay it anyway, so I guess it isn't too bad if I must.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Papercuts said:
Am I fucked? I could just blow through the game with all of my stuff again, and I plan to replay it anyway, so I guess it isn't too bad if I must.
Yes, but yeah, it should be a pretty quick New Game+.

Protip: If a game asks you to save after ending/credits, PICK AN EMPTY SLOT.

I finally started it last night and damn is this game fun! The combat is very enjoyable, the style is OMG good, and the characters are extremely cool. Sure, it's unpolished and the overworld stuff is lame, but I'm still loving this game so far.

I hope Suda 51 gets bigger budgets to work with in the future.

I finished the game last week or so, and the ending elevated it to another level for me.

One of my favourite games of the current gen.

Yowza

Papercuts said:
I beat the game yesterday, and when it asked me to see the ending or the real ending, I chose ending thinking I could see the real ending afterwards. After a 10 second wtf moment, the credits rolled, and I was an idiot and saved when it asked me. Now if I load it, I go right to the difficulty select screen and go right to the first level.

Actually, no? When you "load it", do you mean just turning the game on, or going into a save file, and loading a file from the pause menu? If the former, pause the game (where the green and maybe orange "8-bit" stuff shows up). There's an option to LOAD your save files from there, and you can go back to the option to see whatever ending you want again.

That is what happened to me at least, though I don't remember if your circumstances are exactly the same. Do watch the real ending before you do another game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yowza said:
Actually, no? When you "load it", do you mean just turning the game on, or going into a save file, and loading a file from the pause menu? If the former, pause the game (where the green and maybe orange "8-bit" stuff shows up). There's an option to LOAD your save files from there, and you can go back to the option to see whatever ending you want again.

That is what happened to me at least, though I don't remember if your circumstances are exactly the same. Do watch the real ending before you do another game.

Nah, I mean loading through the menu. The save is after the credits, so it brings me to the difficulty select screen.

I will never save after credits again. :p

Monocle

I got NMH on sale last month and nearly completed it (all items/upgrades purchased, all collectibles found, finished the full game once, etc.) in two days flat. All I'm missing are gold medals for two missions and a handful of free fights, and the cards obtainable in boss levels on a new game+. Incredible game. Loved the gameplay, loved the art style, loved the music, loved just about everything except those bloody free fights and the wrestling moves-only missions.

I'll probably replay it about a dozen more times after I make some progress on my backlog.

For some reason I couldn't get into this game. The boss battles were cool, but the combat and enemies were too repetitive (A, A, A, swing!).

Am I missing something here? What's wrong with me? I only got through the first 3 bosses before putting it on the shelf and never looking back.

Dascu

makingmusic476 said:
For some reason I couldn't get into this game. The boss battles were cool, but the combat and enemies were too repetitive (A, A, A, swing!).

Am I missing something here? What's wrong with me? I only got through the first 3 bosses before putting it on the shelf and never looking back.
The later stages have some more novelties to them. I suggest you persevere, it's worth it. You could always mix up the combat some more by use wrestling moves and jump attacks (skills from Lovikov).

Tenbatsu

makingmusic476 said:

Maybe you got to start at a higher difficulty so it wont be so repetitive. Try bitter.

Monocle

makingmusic476: At least beat the game once. And purchase all the beam sabers so you see the real ending.

There's more to combat than mashing the A button. You can use B for beat attacks, perform charged moves by holding A or B, and grapple. On higher difficulties stance changes (tilt the wiimote vertically for high, horizontally for low) become more important, as enemies' defense improves. I think death blows are the most fun aspect of Travis' fighting style. They're those big attacks that kill enemies in a shower of blood and coins. Right before they connect, the action slows down for a moment. If you snap your wiimote in the direction of the line of arrows that appears during this pause, you'll perform a stronger death blow. Then there's down attacks, and the knockdown attack you can purchase with Lovikov Balls from the guy in the bar. The game is a little deeper than you might have thought. I encourage you to give it another chance.

Proven

The complaints towards the combat in this game reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 2. Sure you can just press the main attack button over and over again, but not only is that boring, but it also takes forever.

Tenbatsu

Proven said:
The complaints towards the combat in this game reminds me of Kingdom Hearts 2. Sure you can just press the main attack button over and over again, but not only is that boring, but it also takes forever.
No, No More Heroes combat is certainly better than Kingdom Hearts, its deeper than you think it is.

EDarkness

Vinnk said:
Seeing this thread back from the dead makes me want to play it again. Still my favorite game of this gen.

I'll second this. I love this game. What's even better is I'm going to see Suda next week so I hope to get him to sign my NMH manual. A shame my Japanese isn't good enough to have a long conversation, but I do want to get a couple photos as well. :D

Dascu

EDarkness said:
I'll second this. I love this game. What's even better is I'm going to see Suda next week so I hope to get him to sign my NMH manual. A shame my Japanese isn't good enough to have a long conversation, but I do want to get a couple photos as well. :D
Lucky bastard. Ask him about Kurayami and Project S. And fall to your knees, begging for No More Heroes 2.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Best game on the Wii, absolutely. I beat it about a week ago and I really wanted to play it again on Bitter, but SSBB got in the way
for now

Dascu

Jocchan said:
Best game on the Wii, absolutely. I beat it about a week ago and I really wanted to play it again on Bitter, but SSBB got in the way
for now
No Travis in SSBB was such a missed opportunity.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dascu said:
No Travis in SSBB was such a missed opportunity.
Having him shout "Fuckhead!" (or even a censored mis-spelled version) from the remote speaker when you choose him would have been priceless.

Hcoregamer00 said:
My friend is still stuck fighting Bad Girl, what is your advice for him?

Use emergency evades (rolling away) a lot. Bad Girl has several charge attacks that you can evade and then quickly counter with a combo. Also, when she hits foes in your direction, make sure you time your swing just right so that the enemy is sent straight back into her, making her dazed. Oh, and make sure that you do not attack her when she is crying and has one hand on the bat. If you do, insta-kill. If she is not holding the bat, swing away.

zoukka

You can send the S&M guys back to her even after they recover from the flight and start messing around. Just line 'em up with Baddie.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I really enjoyed this game when I played through it a few weeks back after a many-month hiatus. There are so many design issues and general sense of uneasiness, but in the end I think the character, humour and style just carry the game right up to the end. In many ways I think this would be what a Quentin Tarantino game would be like
if the guy wasn't a massively overrated bint

I'll pick it up for definite again at a later point to get all the missing stuff and finish the New Game+.

I picked this up for $30 and I'm very happy with it. The "sandbox" stuff is disappointing, the fighting is repetitive and could have used more variety in the enemy types (not to mention enemy dialog), and the soundtrack, while great, isn't as varied or interesting as killer7's. But overall, it's a great experience that I don't want to end.

FAKE EDIT: The voice acting is pretty damn amazing. The guy who does Travis really did a great job.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
this game is really mind-bending man. but what's up with the motorcycle? is it intentionally janky and terrible?

the greatest part was when my roommate wanted to watch a movie, he said "hey go find a toilet so we can watch mad men!" :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i've been loving how the game handles standard gaming concepts, like game over screens, saving, boss fights, the freakin' cell phone calls, breaking the third wall all the time.

this game's a really good statement, get a very 'fission mailed' vibe from it right off the bat.

was suda 51 the same guy behind contact ds too, or just his team?

Dascu

mattiewheels said:
i've been loving how the game handles standard gaming concepts, like game over screens, saving, boss fights, the freakin' cell phone calls, breaking the third wall all the time.

this game's a really good statement, get a very 'fission mailed' vibe from it right off the bat.

was suda 51 the same guy behind contact ds too, or just his team?
He didn't direct Contact. It was only produced at Grasshopper Manufacture.

mattiewheels

ah. i can see similar elements in the two though.

i like where suda's headed, making very stylized, self-aware games that have something to say about game design. i think it works well as art, and it's a real fuckin blast to play too.

mattiewheels

Jaded Alyx said:
I think I'll stay in this thread.

It's scary out there *shudders*
good thinking.

*cracks open beer*

mattiewheels

alrighty, just beat the second boss, the crooner in the stadium and :lol :D :lol

'it's open mic night in hell, old man!'

that was inspired. loving this game more and more.

WHOA! 'stick your butt OUT! haven't you ever taken a dump in a japanese toilet?!'

mattiewheels

BLUEBERRY CHEESE BROWNIE!

STRAWBERRY ON THE SHORTCAKE!!

My Wii was sitting over by my television, neglected since I beat Super Smash whatever, so I popped in No More Heroes. I love this game.

Easily my favorite game of 2008. Easily.

Tenbatsu

Greatness Gone said:
My Wii was sitting over by my television, neglected since I beat Super Smash whatever, so I popped in No More Heroes. I love this game.

Easily my favorite game of 2008. Easily.
Yeah, No More Heroes is those type of game where it is fun to play once in a while even after you completed it.

verio

Wow. I just picked this up yesterday, and wow. Seriously, my jaw was on the floor as I started playing this game. Within the first 15 minutes, the game had me cracking up. I had a huge grin the entire time. Seriously, I felt like a kid again. I can't wait to jump back in.

Best game I've played this year, so far.

Dascu said:
On that note, did anyone actually manage to get 3x777 once?

I've gotten it a couple times already, and I'm not very far into the game.

I've just fought Shinobu 4 times and died. The last time I had her health down to this | and she unleashes the North Fist of the Motherfucking Star at me and kills me. Fuck, I have no idea how to stun her. It's always random and I'm never quick enough to push the B button prompt. I hope I never have a black female teacher at college.

Top Bottom