• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Force is Awesome

Gotta give love to Shining Force 2. Took me 5 years to beat it (I got stuck at the caravan part while playing the game on the Sega Channel and it didn't appear again before the service was terminated... and then years later I discovered emulation)... I enjoyed every minute of it!!

I agree. I spent so much time playing the first and second one on Sega Channel and the Sword of Hayja (sp?) on my game gear. I even bought Shining Force: Resurrection of Dark Dragon remake for the GBA.

Christian

We need Shining Force II remake in the vein of Resurrection of the Dark Dragon for DS. And Shining Force III complete port to DS or PSP. And Shining Force IV. And, and, and, a sequel to Shining the Holy Ark.

Grampasso

Shining The Holy Ark DS remake = awesomeness *_* but I hope they would get rid of that awful 3D renders... anyway that game from Atlus (Yggdrasill Labyrinth, right?) reminds me of STHA, and with Yasunori Mitsuda scores... *__*

Christian said:
We need Shining Force II remake in the vein of Resurrection of the Dark Dragon for DS. And Shining Force III complete port to DS or PSP. And Shining Force IV. And, and, and, a sequel to Shining the Holy Ark.

Yeah, but for that to happen Sega would have to start giving us Shining Force fans what we actually want, rather than raising our hopes and dashing them with yet another action-rpg spinoff, when all we want is an SRPG.

Since SFIII they've given us 4 ARPG spinoff (Shining Soul I and II, Shining Tears and Shining Force Neo) with I believe another 1 or 2 on the way and just one SRPG, which was a port/remake. They definitely announced Shining Wind (which looks in the same vein as Shining Tears), but didn't they announce another one recently.

Haha, I know so many people who fell in love with Shining Force on Sega Channel. Sega Channel was the most awesome thing in america ever. I mean hell X360 live is just now starting to do what it did. I have beatend Shining Force 1&2 like 4 times each now. Just a very charming fun game. They really do need to do a port of part 3 with all parts translated to DS or, if absolutely necessary, PSP.

Everyone pimps Fire Emblem, but I think I will always be a Shining Force man!!

Oh shit I just realized!!! Shining Force was a Camelot and Sega affair, Wii has virtual console.... THEY COULD TOTALLY PUT IT ON WII!!!!

BigGreenMat said:
Haha, I know so many people who fell in love with Shining Force on Sega Channel. Sega Channel was the most awesome thing in america ever. I mean hell X360 live is just now starting to do what it did. I have beatend Shining Force 1&2 like 4 times each now. Just a very charming fun game. They really do need to do a port of part 3 with all parts translated to DS or, if absolutely necessary, PSP.

Everyone pimps Fire Emblem, but I think I will always be a Shining Force man!!

Oh shit I just realized!!! Shining Force was a Camelot and Sega affair, Wii has virtual console.... THEY COULD TOTALLY PUT IT ON WII!!!!

That would be awesome! It's a shame Camelot cannot and probably will not make another Shining Force game.

Symytry

Die Squirrel Die said:
didn't they announce another one recently.

yeah...a sequel to Neo.

I agree with the port of SFII...I'll take on GBA or DS. I'll take an SFIII Trilogy on DS as well.

Thanks Sega, we know you won't let us down! :lol

jarrod

Banned
Was I the only one who hated how the GBA remake looked? Smilebit might make some great stuff, but they really need to stay away from Shining Force imo.... I think I'd have been happier with straight MD ports of SF1+2 on a GBA cart.

Symytry

jarrod said:
I'd have been happier with straight MD ports of SF1+2 on a GBA cart.

um...no. I think it looks better than the original. Straight ports are junk...look at how Phantasy Star Collection turned out? Do we really want to remember that our favorite games look/sounded that way?

...okay maybe that wasn't a fair comparison because the PSC was a shitty port, but that is what COULD have happened to SF! Let this be a lesson to you sir!

:lol I'm in a joking mood. Pay no attention to me.

jarrod said:
Was I the only one who hated how the GBA remake looked? Smilebit might make some great stuff, but they really need to stay away from Shining Force imo.... I think I'd have been happier with straight MD ports of SF1+2 on a GBA cart.

I agree. I also didn't like the run feature, it was too ridiculously fast. I enjoyed it just because it was Shining Force on the run.

BigGreenMat said:

It was a sad day when Sega Channel ended wasn't it... I remember the next day... Trying to start it up again as if there were some hope left...

But yeah, we need Shining Force 3 with all parts like soon!!!!!!

Pellham

Banned
i second the request for shining force on VC. doubtful it will happen though.
oh well maybe they will do another sega collection disc for Wii like they had for DC way back then.

jarrod

Banned
Pellham said:
i second the request for shining force on VC. doubtful it will happen though.
Doubtful? It seems inevitable imo, at least for Shining Force I/II... CD and III are more open to debate.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
BigGreenMat said:

I'm one of those people. Shining Force was the first strategy RPG I ever played, and it's still one of my favorite games to this day. The only other game I played as much on Sega Channel was Landstalker.

TheDuce22

Banned
That franchise gets no respect, Sega is to blame more than anyone for all these stupid spinoffs.

Shining Force 3 >> FFT

Anyone know is SF I, II, or III were connected story-wise? Also, I didn't really care for the remake either. One thing I hated was that when enemys exploded on the Genny version they made a loud "BOOM" sound, while on the GBA version they made a little "wisssssh" sound:(

Heh, I remember playing SF I and getting stuck at the part where you have to fight those clowns in the circus tent.

I also remember just BARELY beating the squid boss in SF II.

EDIT: I also can't tell you how many times victory depended on whether I got an extra attack or not.

Christian said:

You're right on the dot. First of all, we need a reissue of Shining Force III - or in our example, an issue at all damn it. I'd suggest DS over PSP just because of allowed exposure, but I'd like a full on attempt at it.

Secondly, Shining the Holy Ark kicks ass, and a DS remake would be AMAZING, as would an actual sequel. Somehow I doubt we'll ever get a new Shining the Holy Ark though... sigh.

hell yea, shining force is awesome.

i hold the original main series close to heart.

i only got play through only a small part of part III first scenario,

heres to hoping for a compilation for port!!

RiZ III

Just don't play SF:Neo =( Its pretty.. but man they took such a great series and made it into a generic hack&slash.

Seth C

Synbios459 said:
Anyone know is SF I, II, or III were connected story-wise?

Only in small ways. They take place on the same planet, at different times. Sometimes you will read things about a previous "Shining Force." The main bad guy is part of the same evil power. In Shining Force 2 specifically there is a book referencing the hero from the first Shining Force.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I liked Shining Forces 1 and 2 when I played them long ago, but I'm not sure they'll hold up that well nowadays. They seem quite shallow in comparison to FFT, the Fire Emblems, and whatnot. Am I misremembering?

Are the original Shining Force games set in the same world and time as the Shining Force Neo or whatever game on the PS2? Complete with sort of sci-fi elements or mechs or such?

I never got much of a chance to play the series back in the 16-bit days. A few times on GameGear but never on Genesis.

Speaking of Japanese strategy games I never got a chance to play, I want a chance to play Feda. I liked the look of it in an EGM preview back then.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Shining Force 2 is one of he greatest RPG games i've ever played. I used to play it all the time and just got the emulator recently to relive the moment.

dock

I wonder how big Shining Force 3 would be if they yanked out the FMV. I'd kill to see that on Virtual Console. Hell, I should start playing that again, I have my Saturn setup. o_o Screw next gen!

Top Bottom