• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Nemmy

Sound design in this game in general is some of the best I've seen. They did an amazing job in that regard.

I'm used to stopping and looking around when I notice that something looks great in a game I'm playing, but TEW is probably the first game ever where I sometimes stop and think to myself "wow, this sound was bloody phenomenal." Really incredible.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i actually still remember the sound design videos released prior to RE4 in which they talked about how much work went into making everything sound right--the guns in particular. it makes such a big difference here, too.

Mupod

Anybody else love the sound of Sebastian's footsteps in this game?

Now I'm remembering that Electric Playground review where Tommy Tallarico said Silent Hill 2 sucks because of footstep noises.

Anyways the sound is great, but if I had to choose one horror game that really utterly nailed the sound design it's Dead Space.

Nemesis_

Halfway through Chapter 11. This is the first time in the game where I've had to put down the controller and just take a break. Not a good thing though, but I am still loving the game overall.

The
fish encounter
was especially terrifying for me since I really found the (RE4 spoilers)
Del Lago
encounter and the (RE5 spoilers)
Crocodile encounters
really tense, stressful and frightening.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm used to stopping and looking around when I notice that something looks great in a game I'm playing, but TEW is probably the first game ever where I sometimes stop and think to myself "wow, this sound was bloody phenomenal." Really incredible.

I didn't think the sound was anything special until I heard the Keeper noise. That sound is phenomenal.

Now I'm remembering that Electric Playground review where Tommy Tallarico said Silent Hill 2 sucks because of footstep noises.

Anyways the sound is great, but if I had to choose one horror game that really utterly nailed the sound design it's Dead Space.
I was just thinking about that show last night. He would take points off on games for their menu screens. -_-

Riposte

I haven't beaten the game yet, but having taken a break at the start of chapter 10, I think the game is at worse pretty good. It isn't necessarily better than any of the recent mainline Resident Evils, as someone who really likes those games, but it has no problem keeping up. I feel like the issues involving the camera or even the rather unnecessarily thick borders can be greatly lessened just by getting used to the game (I don't even notice the borders anymore). I feel like even among highly enthusiastic action game aficionados, there are people who can handle "bullshit" you have to learn to overcome and those who can't. I definitely can, rarely hold that against a game.

So... why couldnt every chapter be like ch.9? :/

Not the setpieces or scares mind you, but for the structure. Such a pleasant return to the type of games we used to get IE: not just run down this path and enjoy the ride.

Vizzeh

Banned
I literally just started the first chapter, escaped the first section. Immediately im worried. I am noticing SEVERE black crush in most places and pretty bad frame rates. I pretty much had to increase the brightness from the default 50 "barely visable" to 85 to make the game playable + im generally quite picky with visuals. I am guessing Tango Gameworks are not very competent with performance optimizing.

Still going to persevere ofc, I love the genre + shinji mikami's previous work.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Riposte

I literally just started the first chapter, escaped the first section. Immediately im worried. I am noticing SEVERE black crush in most places and pretty bad frame rates. I pretty much had to increase the brightness from the default 50 "barely visable" to 85 to make the game playable + im generally quite picky with visuals. I am guessing Tango Gameworks are not very competent with performance optimizing.

Still going to persevere ofc, I love the genre + shinji mikami's previous work.

Has anyone else had to do this?

Yeah, I had to boost up the brightness, although it might have been more of a TV thing since it was shockingly low. It was funny because it was saying "blah blah until the middle system is barely visible" and I couldn't say any of the symbols, so I thought it was referring to something on the menu screen background. I actually think it might be at 100%.

It was actually a pain in the ass because I was stuck on the first part for like 10 minutes, because I couldn't see the door I was suppose to use from a distance, which made try a bunch of stuff that just got me killed.

Mupod

Not the setpieces or scares mind you, but for the structure. Such a pleasant return to the type of games we used to get IE: not just run down this path and enjoy the ride.

You know I was just thinking about this last night. You'd think with rising game development costs they'd be trying to re-use areas as much as possible. It's not like we hate it when they do that, survival horror fans love backtracking. That bit of dread when something in a familiar room is slightly *different* and you no longer feel safe anymore is something you can't do in a game where you never revisit old areas.

Just funny that it's not often you see people complaining that 'this game is TOO varied I need more recycled areas!' But it's really a hallmark of the genre, there's still many who prefer dead space 1 over 2 for example.

If anyone is interested, I saw this video Robert Cram put up, where he uses a fix that can remove the black bars and give a better FOV if you want for pc. I didn't get to try this myself yet but once I get home from work I was thinking of giving it a try.

Vizzeh

Banned
Yeah, I had to boost up the brightness, although it might have been more of a TV thing since it was shockingly low. It was funny because it was saying "blah blah until the middle system is barely visible" and I couldn't say any of the symbols, so I thought it was referring to something on the menu screen background. I actually think it might be at 100%.

It was actually a pain in the ass because I was stuck on the first part for like 10 minutes, because I couldn't see the door I was suppose to use from a distance, which made try a bunch of stuff that just got me killed.

I immediately noticed it as I have seen many of the opening scene videos that were clear as day on the videos. I have my TV calibrated, I know the black levels are fine and I can see all 3 symbols until adjusted to "50" where only the middle is barely visible, 3rd is fine, from there it was still WAY too dark, upon increasing from 50 to 85 the game looks much better, still getting good blacks without much crush, not faded out etc, TV performance is better too.

If your symbols were not visible, perhaps you need to adjust/match your black levels with TV/PS4? low/low or high/high :D

JRW

This game is fucking MASTERFUL. I don't care what anyone says!

It's much better than I expected after reading through this thread beforehand.

I feel like I have to hold my tongue a bit, way to much complaining ..No it's not "perfect" but IMO if you actually like survival horror games then Evil Within is worth your time.

Just sayin'

Vizzeh

Banned
Chapter 2 increase in performance over 1 is night and day, Chapter 1 could do with tweaking, first impressions and all that, if the game plays like chapter 2 onwards I will be MORE than happy... first zombie encounter... those Res Evil 1 feels... wow :D

I wanna start a new game plus but the hardest part of the game for me was the fucking beginning.

The whole game is much easier on new game plus, trust me. I sucked at the beginning, but I ended up beating chapter 3 in 5 minutes by just using explosive bolts on the boss. It's almost therapeutic how easy it was for me, haha

Ateron

I immediately noticed it as I have seen many of the opening scene videos that were clear as day on the videos. I have my TV calibrated, I know the black levels are fine and I can see all 3 symbols until adjusted to "50" where only the middle is barely visible, 3rd is fine, from there it was still WAY too dark, upon increasing from 50 to 85 the game looks much better, still getting good blacks without much crush, not faded out etc, TV performance is better too.

If your symbols were not visible, perhaps you need to adjust/match your black levels with TV/PS4? low/low or high/high :D

I hadn't to change anything in my tv's settings, as I calibrated it a while ago and it displays most games correctly. Every now and then there's a game with fucked up black levels, hard coded in the game (TLoU remastered, and to some extent Ground Zeroes), but for the most part everything seems normal.

Keep in mind that the game was designed to be played with the grain filter and that seems to increase the brightness of dark areas too much. I've tested it in some pretty damn dark areas with lantern off. With the effect at 0% I could barely see anything: black was definitely black and I couldn't distinguish between black in game and the black from the bars. With the effect at 100% if feels like I'm cheating, as I'm able to see better in the dark and blacks turn into dark grey (while the bars stay black), but I do kinda like the effect, so I made a compromise and play at around 40%-50%. That way I get too keep better black levels without making the game looking super clean (I like that dirty effect grain adds to the game, even though 100% seems overkill imo).

Lulubop

The whole game is much easier on new game plus, trust me. I sucked at the beginning, but I ended up beating chapter 3 in 5 minutes by just using explosive bolts on the boss. It's almost therapeutic how easy it was for me, haha

I mean the Chainsaw guy in chapter 1. Gave me by far my most deaths. Probably 10 or so of 45.

I mean the Chainsaw guy in chapter 1. Gave me by far my most deaths. Probably 10 or so of 45.

I had trouble with him too. I got through it on the second run in one go. I just threw a bottle, waited for him to leave the room, and then ran to the exit. My sprint was maxed out so it worked pretty well.

Guys, I found it. The most twisted, insane and disturbing thing in this game. A fire alarm...ON THE FLOOR.

The mounting height of a pullstation is actually completely up to the Authority Having Jurisdiction

Which in this case might be
Ruvik
, which considering
he seems unable to grab things without reaching up through the floor
means this is perfectly sensible

I haven't beaten the game yet, but having taken a break at the start of chapter 10, I think the game is at worse pretty good. It isn't necessarily better than any of the recent mainline Resident Evils, as someone who really likes those games, but it has no problem keeping up. I feel like the issues involving the camera or even the rather unnecessarily thick borders can be greatly lessened just by getting used to the game (I don't even notice the borders anymore). I feel like even among highly enthusiastic action game aficionados, there are people who can handle "bullshit" you have to learn to overcome and those who can't. I definitely can, rarely hold that against a game.

To be honest, I haven't noticed the bars or the funny animations after like the first 5 minutes of the game. The close camera bugs me occasionally, but the level design has been so solid so far that I can't complain too much.

GavinUK86

So, uh, I don't get this guy. He obviously disliked the game, he thought it incompetent, so he used godmode and infinite ammo (in a game where feeling fragile and limited is kind of the point) and enjoyed the shootbang, against everything the game is designed around?
I can't think of any "experience" worth giving a damn that TEW can provide when you take Seb's fragility out of the equation. And it rubs me the wrong way when a game with oldschool design is called "outdated" and it's considered a bad thing just because.

Hardly an excellent read.

I didn't enjoy the game until I used the same cheats. It bored me to tears. After enabling god mode and unlimited ammo (and removing the horrid black borders) I quite enjoyed it.

I don't see why you have to bash him and/or his experience just because it doesn't line up with your own.

bought the ps3 version last night

i was kind of let down initially by the graphics having watched lets plays on youtube of the ps4 version but I'm getting used to it

i only played the first chapter .. they really wasted no time throwing you into the madness lol.. would have liked a little more build up tbh, especially considering how short that first chapter is

so i guess shinji mikami saw inception huh?
the moving city + falling van sequence

Vizzeh

Banned
I hadn't to change anything in my tv's settings, as I calibrated it a while ago and it displays most games correctly. Every now and then there's a game with fucked up black levels, hard coded in the game (TLoU remastered, and to some extent Ground Zeroes), but for the most part everything seems normal.

Keep in mind that the game was designed to be played with the grain filter and that seems to increase the brightness of dark areas too much. I've tested it in some pretty damn dark areas with lantern off. With the effect at 0% I could barely see anything: black was definitely black and I couldn't distinguish between black in game and the black from the bars. With the effect at 100% if feels like I'm cheating, as I'm able to see better in the dark and blacks turn into dark grey (while the bars stay black), but I do kinda like the effect, so I made a compromise and play at around 40%-50%. That way I get too keep better black levels without making the game looking super clean (I like that dirty effect grain adds to the game, even though 100% seems overkill imo).

Thanks for the tip and the insight, I think you have made some valid points, just tested with the film grain, it definitely does seem to add some brightness, I did have it adjusted (mostly due to the fact I liked it on Alien: Isolation as a design choice + turned it down for Evil within as I thought, wtf does it need it for lol)

I do believe first chapter is overly dark and as you said the game does have still some screwed black levels but upon adjusting the grain filter as you suggested I was able to drop brightness another 10-ingame, now at 75. Cheers! :)

Ateron

Thanks for the tip and the insight, I think you have made some valid points, just tested with the film grain, it definitely does seem to add some brightness, I did have it adjusted (mostly due to the fact I liked it on Alien: Isolation as a design choice + turned it down for Evil within as I thought, wtf does it need it for lol)

I do believe first chapter is overly dark and as you said the game does have still some screwed black levels but upon adjusting the grain filter as you suggested I was able to drop brightness another 10-ingame, now at 75. Cheers! :)

You're welcome mate :)
Glad I could help

I don't get this, Ch9 was pretty cool the first time but I can already see it being the most boring one to replay on further playthroughs. And that would be the same if the game was loaded with chapters like it. It kind of has one gimmick that once you've figured out then you just run around in it to the various objectives. I'd have liked it if they placed more random enemies around the place really.

GravyButt

ok fuck chapter 9.
this mother fucker keeps finger poking of doom killing me. Is there a specific time he decides to show up? Ive escaped him once. Just by running. Everytime I try to hide the bastard finds me. The one time I think I get away that stupid spinning razor wall thing killed me, whats the trick to that.
Level is driving me nuts, been trying for an hour and dont even have a clue wtf im supposed to be doing incept for dying to this fricken thing.

DukeBobby

I don't get this, Ch9 was pretty cool the first time but I can already see it being the most boring one to replay on further playthroughs. And that would be the same if the game was loaded with chapters like it. It kind of has one gimmick that once you've figured out then you just run around in it to the various objectives. I'd have liked it if they placed more random enemies around the place really.

I'm currently on chapter 9 in NG+, and the enemies are in different places than they were the first time.

So far, it's the only chapter where I've seen this happen.

Mupod

ok fuck chapter 9.
this mother fucker keeps finger poking of doom killing me. Is there a specific time he decides to show up? Ive escaped him once. Just by running. Everytime I try to hide the bastard finds me. The one time I think I get away that stupid spinning razor wall thing killed me, whats the trick to that.
Level is driving me nuts, been trying for an hour and dont even have a clue wtf im supposed to be doing incept for dying to this fricken thing.

He never killed me once and I didn't even realize he was dangerous until I came back to this thread and read the complaints. The first time all I did was walk around the big dining room table and kept him on the opposite side. Other encounters I just walked away until he vanished, but some of them he got really close I guess. At the time I assumed he was scripted to disappear once you got to a certain part of the level.

GravyButt

He never killed me once and I didn't even realize he was dangerous until I came back to this thread and read the complaints. The first time all I did was walk around the big dining room table and kept him on the opposite side. Other encounters I just walked away until he vanished, but some of them he got really close I guess. At the time I assumed he was scripted to disappear once you got to a certain part of the level.
Ya he keeps showing up though whenever im backed into a corner, like that brain machine. No escaping him. Btw. What is point of that machine anyways?

kodecraft

Uh, is screen grain even noticeable? I started playing without it, at 0% but when I crank it up to 100%, I don't see a difference, also started a new game with the screen grain at 100%, still I don't see a damn difference at all.

Game still has a clean look to it, btw I'm on PC.

ok fuck chapter 9.

On my first playthrough he wasn't much of an annoyance. All I had to do was leave the room he spawned in and he'd disappear. Didn't die or get cornered by him once. On my 2nd he would follow me all over the place. One time he spawned right outside a door and killed me as I tried to pass. Also, shoot the red light that's in between the two spinning razors.

I'm currently on chapter 9 in NG+, and the enemies are in different places than they were the first time.

So far, it's the only chapter where I've seen this happen.
There were hardly any enemies on my 2nd run. Really weird that it's only on that chapter.

jett

D-Member
Uh, is screen grain even noticeable? I started playing without it, at 0% but when I crank it up to 100%, I don't see a difference, also started a new game with the screen grain at 100%, still I don't see a damn difference at all.

Game still has a clean look to it, btw I'm on PC.

There's very little difference in terms of max grain or minimum grain on the PC version. The depth of field effect is also REALLY mild compared to the PS4. The PS4 versions is better looking due to this, honestly.

A comparison:

PC:
evilwithin-2014-10-24aqpx8.jpg

PS4:
10379941_10102394120106053_3429530780187580765_o.jpg

The PC version is really robbed of the "cinematic aesthetic."

Jyester

Ya he keeps showing up though whenever im backed into a corner, like that brain machine. No escaping him. Btw. What is point of that machine anyways?

Chapter 9 spoilers:
he cornered me in a brain machine room the first time. If this happens more often, try entering a different room from the main hall. The order is not set. Always run when he appears. I found hiding to be completely useless as he fingerblasted me everytime I tried doing so. I had enough ammo during c9, so I ended up mainly ramboing this section. Bursting through doors and moving quickly towards my target made him not show up so much, surprisingly.

The brain machine can be used by listening to the audio hint and looking at the piece of paper. You can move the camera while examining.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just finished. Goddamn that ending was so bad.

I didn't think it was bad. I mean I wasn't clapping at the ending credits, but I do think it was a tad
confusing.

I've clapped a few times, but not a lot. I feel like the "clapping" is like how Famitsu gives out perfect scores.

Top Bottom