• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I typed up this convenient list of which games each has directed in the other thread, I'll repost it here:

Mikami
---------

Resident Evil - 1996 - Director/Producer
Dino Crisis - 1999 - Director/Producer
Resident Evil (remake) - 2002 - Director
P.N.03 - 2003 - Director
Resident Evil 4 - 2005 - Director
God Hand - 2006 - Director
Vanquish - 2010 - Director
The Evil Within - 2014 - Director

Kamiya
----------

Resident Evil 2 - 1998 - Director
Devil May Cry - 2001 - Director
Viewtiful Joe - 2003 - Director
Ōkami - 2006 - Story/Director
Bayonetta - 2009 - Story/Director
The Wonderful 101 - 2013 - Story/Director
Scalebound - TBA - Director

God-tier of game directors.

Morue

Am I the only poor soul who's gonna play this on the PS3? I really can't afford a PS4 now :'(

Great OT by the way!!

Can someone change my avatar please? :)

Pretty much the same. I really fucking need this game in my veins but I'm honestly worried about this frame rate problem. Even if you watch PewDiePie video you can see the issues there. Playing this on a PS4 only a week ago with the issues still there(maybe it was the same build) isn't helping the incoming shitstorm. To be honest, this is Bethesda and it doesn't surprise me. I like their games but I find their quality control to be generally arse.

Framerate problem? It had framerate problems a long time ago, but from the latest videos the framerate has looked completely fine. Also, Bethesda is publishing the game - they have nothing to do with the framerate....

Mid 70's is the safest bet and low 80's is the best case scenario IMO.

Of course that's not representative of what I'm expecting from the game quality wise, personally I don't give a fuck about metacritic. :p

Mid 70's? Nah. I've got a pretty strong feeling this is gonna surprise people. Mid 80's would be my current guess but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little higher. Like Phear said, this might be another Mordor situation.

So we're expecting it be RE:4-2?

how does that tie in with what we've heard about ammo scarcity?

Not really. I hope people realize that this isn't too similar to how Resident Evil 4 plays and aren't going in with the wrong expectations. Presentation wise, the over the shoulder camera, the enemy hit reactions, the mostly linear environments etc are all very Resident Evil 4. However when it comes to gameplay it looks much closer to REmake. You're going to have to make every bullet count here, unlike in Resident Evil 4. Ammo is scarce and even if you manage to keep finding some the game will restrict you to a low limit anyway. You will have to think much more with how you're going to approach the enemies. This is looking like REmake with a little bit of Resident Evil 4, not the other way around.

Framerate problem? It had framerate problems a long time ago, but from the latest videos the framerate has looked completely fine. Also, Bethesda is publishing the game - they have nothing to do with the framerate....

Mid 70's? Nah. I've got a pretty strong feeling this is gonna surprise people. Mid 80's would be my current guess but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little higher. Like Phear said, this might be another Mordor situation.

Not really. I hope people realize that this isn't too similar to how Resident Evil 4 plays and aren't going in with the wrong expectations. Presentation wise, the over the shoulder camera, the enemy hit reactions, the mostly linear environments etc are all very Resident Evil 4. However when it comes to gameplay it looks much closer to REmake. You're going to have to make every bullet count here, unlike in Resident Evil 4. Ammo is scarce and even if you manage to keep finding some the game will restrict you to a low limit anyway. You will have to think much more with how you're going to approach the enemies. This is looking like REmake with a little bit of Resident Evil 4, not the other way around.

:(

-MD-

You know it's going to be easier than you're expecting it to be. That is, if you're playing on the normal difficulty anyway. It would be different if you didn't already have a lot of experience with the genre.

Yeah, I was hoping I'd be able to start out on hard =/

Ah just found this guys. Following link has the options and the difficulty screenshots from the game:) For those who are curious...

5QdiYrO.png

Weak and fearful lol

-MD-

Just the two ?

I would assume more difficulties after beating the game.

There are 4 in total.

The other 2 are Nightmare and Akumu

"People who can clear Akumu mode will definitely want to brag about it as it requires a high level of mental ability as well as technical ability," says Mikami. "To me, survival horror requires both."

Mupod

I hope there's a code to unlock harder modes from the start, like Vanquish.

Still wondering some things -

1. Do enemies drop ammo or is it all scavenged from the environment?
2. This might seem irrelevant, but does upgrading magazine size give you full ammo in the weapon? I love this mechanic in RE4/dead space since it has me trying to get to merchants/benches without ever reloading my big guns. I suppose in this game I'd be trying to make it to that mirror world hub, right?

jacobeid

Banned
I just realized that I have 90-day price protection with my Discover card so now there's literally no reason for me not to buy this game day one to support Mikami.

It is a good thing, ammo is scare, I think that is one of the essential things of survival-horror games, the last trailer looked great. 1 week left till release.
I hope the PC version won't disappoint.

Edit: Oh shit I'm a member now, yay ! :D

From now on, casuals shall be referred to as the weak and fearful.

No one should play on casual. Having puzzles dumbed down and some taken out all together? No thanks.

1. Do enemies drop ammo or is it all scavenged from the environment?
2. This might seem irrelevant, but does upgrading magazine size give you full ammo in the weapon? I love this mechanic in RE4/dead space since it has me trying to get to merchants/benches without ever reloading my big guns. I suppose in this game I'd be trying to make it to that mirror world hub, right?

For question 1, yes. You can even shoot crows for ammo just like in RE4. As for question 2 I have no clue.

I didn't know we could adjust the screen grain.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lower it - I don't like grain in my games. It just makes them look a lot uglier to me.

Not as far as I seen.

Yeah, the game has no laser sight sadly. You can only toggle the crosshair on/off. Having it off sounds fun.

JimPanzer

so, there's a voice setting - can I play the game with japanese voices? that awful voice-over in the trailers made me skeptical.

btw. do we know the button layout? hoping for a good remote play layout (aiming/shooting on L/R, non essential stuff on touchpad/screen)

-MD-

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lower it - I don't like grain in my games. It just makes them look a lot uglier to me.

Playing through RE4 recently I was wondering why it stood out/looked good and it was the film grain, I really dig it.

I'm a fan of that feature.

NAPK1NS

So much of this game appeals to me. RE4 is maybe my favorite game ever. I just can't pull the trigger on this right away. I hope that it's great but we'll see. Everyday I think about pushing that Steam button.

Gonna' wait for reviews/impressions. If it's positive than I'm goin' in.

Great OT!

mattp

i'm really curious how this plays with the reticle turned off
i mean, it can't be as impossible as it seems or they wouldn't put the option in there. i think?

i'm hoping reticle off is this game's equivalent of playing last of us with listen mode off, haha

Top Bottom