• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobi602 on the "lack" of First Party reveals by PlayStation: "I think some still haven't really grasped just how long big games take to make now"

rkofan87

Gold Member
First party published.

The question is what their first party developers are doing. ND just canceled Factions, so their next game is probably a couple of years away at least. Insomniac's venom is next year. Sucker Punch are developing Ghost 2 but that is probably not a 2024 game either.
spider man2 dlc??????

I told you above gta vi , and many other titles ex avatar , alanwake 2 , hellblade 2, star wars outlow and death stranding 2 even robocop looks better and some of those titles have or will have rt with 60 fps modes and for me and many 60 fps not that important I don't mind 30 fps with true current graphics also you can watch some wolverine developnent unpolished build leaks which looks better than sm2.,also the bar isn't that hay , we never asked for full path tracing games we asked for games that uses the power of current gen consoles.

None of these games looks better (of those that are released) that have the same constraints of being a large open world. SM2 just looks familiar. That’s it. Robocop? Please dude, not even close

I would expect later games to look better, they aren’t releasing 3 years into the generation either

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
The pace is fine. Games take as long as they take, and sometimes things go left and you have to reevaluate and that adds time to the development.

The problem that Sony is facing right now is cadence. They can't keep being in situations where every studio releases something over a 2 year period, and then spend 3 years in a trickle. They know that. They're addressing it.

It's not like we have a shortage of games to play.

The story is only about 20 hours long and the side content in every game is entirely optional.

People trashed Spiderman 2 because they assumed(incorrectly) that it was a lot of reused assets. There's no winning

Both Elden Ring and Sekiro took about 5 years to make. I'm pretty sure AC6 took longer.

All published by SIE. Sony owns the Helldivers IP, Xdev helped with the development of Ronin, and Stellar Blade was once multiplat, but Sony decided to fund and publish it. I'm guessing they want a stronger foothold in Korea and the development community there.

"Two team studio", so those games were being worked on concurrently.
on spiderman 2 this ign gave it an 8 saying its the same lame shit which is bs imo because you can say all games you play you do the same thing over and over its just a cop out.

Its not even about the tech at this point. Its the complete lack of first party games this generation for PS5.

Where is this delusional falsehood coming from?

PS5 has had far greater content releases in the same aligned period compared to the barren early years of ps4

Msamy

None of these games looks better (of those that are released) that have the same constraints of being a large open world. SM2 just looks familiar. That’s it. Robocop? Please dude, not even close

I would expect later games to look better, they aren’t releasing 3 years into the generation either
Lol ,you are the first one who said that spider man 2 looks better than Avatar , also robocop which you joking about have far better lighting and raytracing than SM2, also star wars oultow alongside gta vi are gonna release this year and next year which is 4-5 into this generation when sony clearly won't have game that can catch them graphically before 2026-2027

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Capcom shouldn’t be compared to Sony studios as capcom studios are also making remakes or cross Gen games. Just because they get these games out on a regular basis doesn’t mean much. Re4 was great but it didn’t do anything new. It felt and played like the same ps2 era game with ps4 era Production values.

If re4, village and dragons dogma 2 were setting next Gen benchmarks then sure they would be better than Sony studios. Right now they are both doing the same exact thing.

Sony studios are getting more flack because they were head and shoulders above everyone else and Sony used To give them a bigger budget and resources to get to that high bar. Something changed over there when they decided to make last Gen gt7, ragnorak and hfw. Same goes for tlou1 remake which is basically a last Gen game released as a next Gen exclusive.

These four devs used to pride themselves on pushing boundaries and topping each other and all of a sudden they are ok with making games on a 2011 gpu and netbook cpus? They deserve all the criticism they are receiving because they themselves set those standards there are failing to meet. Not to mention the fact that capcom didn’t sell us a $500 box, Sony did so they deserve the criticism.
Sony doesn't have any competition so they don't have to work very hard anymore.

There's a reason why disasters and wars bring out the best in people.

hinch7

Where is this delusional falsehood coming from?

PS5 has had far greater content releases in the same aligned period compared to the barren early years of ps4
The games industry is much larger than it was in that era and its tracking on par or below so hardly any growth. And this is coming from long period of the pandemic and chip shortages. If anything it should be considerably higher as per Sony's previous estimations for this FY. Even more-so that Xbox is floundering and people eventually making the shift to other platforms, including PlayStation.

A lot of good games from first and third party exclusives have boosted sales just recently from a disapointing quarter. The last few years have been barren for new original IP's and content from Sony's studio's. HD 2 might as well be considered a new IP with how much different it is from the original.

Last edited:
The games industry is much larger than it was in that era and its tracking on par or below so hardly any growth. And this is coming from long period of the pandemic and chip shortages. If anything it should be considerably higher as per Sony's previous estimations for this FY. Even more-so that Xbox is floundering and people eventually making the shift to other platforms, including PlayStation.

A lot of good games from first and third party exclusives have boosted sales just recently from a disapointing quarter. Not sure where the greater or origional content is coming from. The last few years have been barren for new original IP's and content from Sony's studio's,

That’s not the argument. The industry is larger due to GaaS and mobile. That has nothing to do with the cadence of games released, ps5 is significantly better

Spider man 2 looks like the first game with a little bit better reflections and a much worse MJ.

The city is higher fidelity, better textures, better effects like R/T

The first game already looked really good and this looks similar but still a decent upgrade

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Spider man 2 looks like the first game with a little bit better reflections and a much worse MJ.
giphy.gif

Yeah their cancelled game is why, my point still stands for their overall lineup
Nobody asked for yet another remaster of TLOU1, nor for a Battle Royale version of Factions.

It's their fault for spending resources on projects nobody asked for.

People want linear, fun, arcadey games from ND.

I'm not gonna be hyped if their next SP project is a 200-hour long, open-world RPG behemoth with Soulslike gameplay.

Msamy

Nope, avatar looks generic. Robocop isn’t even using hardware R/T
Lol you are the first one who said that avatar graphics looks generic I can't even think how you find thatsm2 looks better than it , for robocop even it's still users software rt it's lighting looks far better than sm2

Nobody asked for yet another remaster of TLOU1, nor for a Battle Royale version of Factions.

It's their fault for spending resources on projects nobody asked for.

People want linear, fun, arcadey games from ND.

I'm not gonna be hyped if their next SP project is a 200-hour long, open-world RPG behemoth with Soulslike gameplay.

People liked their prior MP games and they wanted to make another that was more ambitious.

I don’t really care what they work on I just want it to be good. I’d be disappointed if their next game is more of the same, they need a new IP

Msamy

The city is higher fidelity, better textures, better effects like R/T

The first game already looked really good and this looks similar but still a decent upgrade
People's like you who give excess are the reason for Sony to continue with their shit strategy until now , Sm2 should have looks far better than what we are got it should have at least have the same graphics quality of its reveal trailer which aren't the case

Last edited:
People liked their prior MP games and they wanted to make another that was more ambitious.

I don’t really care what they work on I just want it to be good. I’d be disappointed if their next game is more of the same, they need a new IP
I'd rather have a less ambitious MP game (even if it's a remaster of UC2-3 MP), than zero/nada MP.

Being overly ambitious seems to hurt them in multiple ways...

I also don't like the fact they allowed Bungie to micromanage them. Never liked Destiny either.

Msamy

People's who loves last of us multi-player wanted it to be included with part 2 not as standalone gaas games which canceled in the end

People's like you who give excess are the reason for Sony to continue with their shit strategy until now , Sm2 should have looks far better than what we are got it should have at least the same graphics quality of its reveal trailer which aren't the case

SM2 is a great game that looks awesome and released quickly in the gen

We need more of that, not 5 hour walking sims that take 7 years to make with terrible and non existent gameplay that are terribly comfined but with bleeding edge visuals

Msamy

We need more of that, not 5 hour walking sims that take 7 years to make with terrible and non existent gameplay that are terribly comfined but with bleeding edge visuals
We need more of that with it's reveal trailer graphics , gta vi ,avatar, star wars outlow , death stranding 2 , alan wake 2 and maybe (gears 6 and splinter cell remake) aren't walking simulators

Last edited:
People's who loves last of us multi-player wanted it to be included with part 2 not as standalone gaas games which canceled in the end
IMHO, sticking to the linear Factions 1 recipe would have been fine.

There's no need for yet another Battle Royale variant. Why do they want to compete in a red ocean full of sharks? When you can carve your own niche (like Nintendo did with Splatoon).

They could even make it F2P with cosmetic MTX and call it a day.

There's an actual shortage of linear/arena games in the market. Everything these days must be "big" (SP -> open-world, MP -> Battle Royale), otherwise the higher-ups won't greenlight it.

I still havent played SM 2 despite loving Miles Morales enough to finish it twice. Not Tom Holland is still off putting. Might as well wait for that ps5 pro patch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony will close out ps5 with a new god of war, horizon sequel and GT8 I’ve never seen so much begging for exclusives than on NEOGAF.

Pimpbaa

SM2 had most of the same gameplay as SM1, graphics that looked only marginally better than Miles Morales. Plus its story was a dumpster fire. We need less lazy sequels from Sony.

SM2 had most of the same gameplay as SM1, graphics that looked only marginally better than Miles Morales. Plus its story was a dumpster fire. We need less lazy sequels from Sony.

It’s the of the best paced games with tons of awesome set pieces and bosses, the gameplay is also greatly enhanced and streamlined.

It’s far from a lazy sequel and the story is just fine

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

It’s the of the best paced games with tons of awesome set pieces and bosses, the gameplay is also greatly enhanced and streamlined.

It’s far from a lazy sequel and the story is just fine

No the story was not fine. It was dumb mind melting woke garbage. And the gameplay was the goddamn same except for some new special moves. It was like playing the same damn game 3 times in a row (and I already played the hell out of SM1). Only other that got away with worse in regards to recycled assets is Nintendo with Zelda TOTK. Still angry I paid $70 for both of them (and that is a while ago now).

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Dork pretends like games aren't created in parallel or staggered.

There's more than one studio, so there's no excuse for the complete lack of first party games from Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox.

semiconscious

Gold Member
No the story was not fine. It was dumb mind melting woke garbage. And the gameplay was the goddamn same except for some new special moves. It was like playing the same damn game 3 times in a row (and I already played the hell out of SM1). Only other that got away with worse in regards to recycled assets is Nintendo with Zelda TOTK. Still angry I paid $70 for both of them (and that is a while ago now).
y'know, i'd suggest that anyone disagreeing with this simply recall the arkham trilogy, except that doing so might very likely only end up making them wanna cry...

Nobody asked sony to make 40-100 hour games that most gamers don't finish. This games take longer to make excuses are self imposed limitations by publishers. Where are the 15 hour games? Most games nowadays just pad their length with time wasters that sour the whole game by the time you have to grind through their nonsense. A great example of a short but good game was Miles Morales. Priced at $50 and it got straight to the point. Look at TLOU2, AC Valhalla, etc.... such slogs that kill any replay value. To date, I can't bring myself to replay TLOU2 because the game is too long and the story doesn't even differ in anyway.

They should refocus of tight well paced experiences with replay value. The amount of open world trash being released is untenable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
even Streets of Rage 3 to 4
Seriously?
I agree with MGS though.
People tend to forget we used to have 3 E3 Trailers for those games.
As I said before a majority of Developers are still productive on the same level they've always been.
It's only the no show's that you're hearing "games take longer make bro" from
And we not talking about one Development Team or Studio here.
Multiple have got nothing to show or nearing completion?
And we being generous by using the PS5 release as a metric for how long they haven't released or shown anything.
It's actually even longer than that if you go by their last game.
This was worrisome 2 years ago and now I this we definitely have a problem that Sony needs to address.
Because like someone else said, they doing fine now because they have the momentum and goodwill.
Next gen people are going to have this bitter taste left in their mouths.

yurinka

Nobody asked sony to make 40-100 hour games that most gamers don't finish. This games take longer to make excuses are self imposed limitations by publishers. Where are the 15 hour games?
Uncharted Lost Legacy https://howlongtobeat.com/game/41814
Spider-Man Miles Morales https://howlongtobeat.com/game/79859
Sackboy https://howlongtobeat.com/game/80125
Demon's Souls remake https://howlongtobeat.com/game/82153
Astro's Playroom https://howlongtobeat.com/game/83361
Ratchet Rift Apart https://howlongtobeat.com/game/79776
Returnal https://howlongtobeat.com/game/80102
Horizon Call of the Mountain https://howlongtobeat.com/game/102430
Stellar Blade https://howlongtobeat.com/game/97758

Sony doesn't have any competition so they don't have to work very hard anymore.
This is bullshit.

Sony has a record number of first party games under development, being around half of them new IP. They made many acquisitions in the last 5 years and grew the manpower of basically all their internal teams. They also invested a record number of 2nd party deals and also signed a record number of 3rd party exclusives to be released on PS5 compaared to their previous consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom