• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ship full of Tamil Tigers migrants are heading to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
I hope Canadian governments have the balls to intercept these ships in the sea and have them returned. We can't let people take advantage of our hospitality

these guys are nothing but trouble here...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ding-to-canada-foreign-report/article1641974/

A ship suspected of being connected to the Tamil Tigers and carrying as many as 300 migrants has weighed anchor and set a course for Canada, according to reports in the Sri Lankan media.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ip+reported+heading+Canada/3283946/story.html

Canadian authorities are monitoring a Thai cargo ship following reports it may be on its way to the British Columbia coast with more than 200 migrants on board.

The MV Sun Sea was last spotted in the Gulf of Thailand, where it was the subject of a lookout issued by the Philippine Coast Guard, which called it “a suspected people-smuggling vessel.”

On the weekend, Colombo’s Sunday Observer newspaper reported that while the 59-metre vessel was originally headed for Australia it was now sailing toward the Canadian coast.

The office of Jason Kenney, the Minister of Immigration, is following the case. “This could end up being a prime example of individuals trying to take advantage of our generous immigration system,” said Celyeste Power, the Minister’s spokeswoman.

The Department of Foreign Affairs also said it was “aware of press reports suggesting that a vessel has departed Southeast Asian waters and may be destined for Canada,” and vowed to prosecute anyone caught smuggling human cargo.

“Please note that those responsible for migrant smuggling will be pursued, investigated and prosecuted to the full extent of Canadian law and in accordance with the provisions of international conventions and protocols,” said Alain Cacchione, a Foreign Affairs spokesman.

The Canadian government has been keeping a watch on the Sun Sea (formerly the Harin Panich 19) since early May when, in partnership with Australia, it asked the Thai government to board two vessels allegedly preparing to ferry migrants to Canada or Australia.

But a spokesman at the Thai embassy in Ottawa said he could not verify the searches ever occurred and the Sun Sea was last seen on May 17, 50 kilometres off the coast of southern Thailand, according to the Philippine Coast Guard.

The Sun Sea is roughly the same size as the Ocean Lady, a ship that arrived off the B.C. coast last October carrying 76 Sri Lankan migrants. All were released from custody and most made their way to Toronto, the hub of Canada’s large Sri Lankan Tamil community.

Since then, rumours have swirled in Toronto that more ships were on the way. The Sun Sea passengers are from Sri Lanka, where a civil war between government forces and the separatist Tamil Tigers rebels ended just over a year ago, the Sunday Observer reported.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ading+Canada/3283946/story.html#ixzz0tr6FXiYp

MadFerIt

Where exactly does this article state that the Sun Sea vessel is filled with Tamil Tigers? Just because they are Tamil does not mean they are associated with the Tamil Tigers.

Zyzyxxz

I heard from my Sri Lankan friend that there are a shit load of Sri Lankan refugees living and Canada.

My guess is you don't want them in your country because they took yer jerbs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Zyzyxxz said:
I heard from my Sri Lankan friend that there are a shit load of Sri Lankan refugees living and Canada.

Canada has been incredibly receptive of the Tamil diaspora. Granted, they are brown people so... you know. Gotta watch out.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
does western Canada get many asylum seekers?

Australia has seen an influx of Sri Lankans asylum seekers recently and the political rhetoric is through the roof. Maybe the Australian crack down has meant that some are bypassing Australia for Canada?

Blackface

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

There is, and they are mostly in Toronto. I have had many Sri Lanken friends growing up. With their crazy 22 letter last names.

Zenith

Banned
regardless of how you feel about the Tamil terrorist group, Sri Lanka's renewed campaign against them caused so much civilian "collateral damage" that it was on par with the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

jon bones

Zenith said:
regardless of how you feel about the Tamil terrorist group, Sri Lanka's renewed campaign against them caused so much civilian "collateral damage" that it was on par with the Israeli-Palestine conflict.

it was basically genocide. my family helped build an orphanage in Sri Lanka. it was bombed by the government because it was a "terrorist training camp".

sat photos later revealed they were wrong. poor kids :/

even if this boat is filled with tamil tigers (or even tamils at all, which isn't clear from the article (uh, unless you presume that "rough boat size" correlates to language or skin colour)), i don't think canadians have much to worry about if their government makes sure not to start a campaign of ethnic oppression.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thread backfire cometh.

2z82m85.jpg

xbhaskarx

How come neither of the articles you linked claims the people on the ship are members of the Tamil Tigers, but your headline does?

canova said:
I hope Canadian governments have the balls to intercept these ships in the sea and have them returned. We can't let people take advantage of our hospitality

these guys are nothing but trouble here...
:lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cereal KiIIer said:
If their lives was in danger, I welcome them with arms wide open. If not, turn the fuck around.

good idea, canadian immigration authorities should apply this test to all refugees. someone should write them about this.

canova said:
yup asshole you definitely missed it

You don't need to snap back when someone snaps at you, and you still didn't say what you meant by "these guys"

Canova

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
good idea, canadian immigration authorities should apply this test to all refugees. someone should write them about this.

You don't need to snap back when someone snaps at you, and you still didn't say what you meant by "these guys"

google Tamil gang Toronto

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
canova said:

that doesn't answer any question. i can't figure out who you're talking about. is your problem that you don't like tamil people, that you don't like tamil gang members, or that you don't like tamil tigers?

besada

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Good idea, Canadian immigration authorities should apply this test to all refugees. Someone should write them about this.

When I saw the thread, I thought to myself, didn't Stumpokapow just lay out how incredibly good Canada was about taking in refugees?

kingkitty

Good thing they're immigrants and not a ship full of tigers. Tigers would've eaten the Canadians like an extra sloppy dish of poutine.

kingkitty said:
Good thing they're immigrants and not a ship full of tigers. Tigers would've eaten the Canadians like an extra sloppy dish of poutine.

woiuld have been an epic battle of polar bears vs tigers on the beaches of canada. the sand would stay red for generations once all was said and done.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teh Hamburglar said:
woiuld have been an epic battle of polar bears vs tigers on the beaches of canada. the sand would stay red for generations once all was said and done.

Or this would have happened..

SbAJB.jpg

Einherjar

I'd think most of the hate here is from when the Tamil people blocked a bunch of major roads in Toronto rallying for an international terrorist group making going to work painful.

If they have proper documetation or have been formally accepted by your government,great.

If they are trying to enter illegally, will the authorities turn the ship around?

Zenith

Banned
oh shit, I forgot about the huge Tamil population in London that actively protested the Tamil's plight. Didn't result in terrorism or anything at all.

jon bones

Einherjar said:
I'd think most of the hate here is from when the Tamil people blocked a bunch of major roads in Toronto rallying for an international terrorist group making going to work painful.

they were protesting the concentration camps, not supporting terrorism

also, the Americans would've been considered terrorists when we rebelled against England. the winners get to write the history books and not all freedom fighters are terrorists.

canova said:

"google black people gang new york"

zomg all black people are in gangs!

Sapiens said:
I know a fuck tonne of Tamils.

Good people.

Fuck the fear.

:D

Canova

Banned
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Canova doesn't like immigrants. Not-so surprising thread.

I'm an immigrant myself, try again. Came here 10 years ago, worked my way up.

again google Tamil gang Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, you name it.

Doytch

jon bones said:
they were protesting the concentration camps, not supporting terrorism
I don't give a damn if someone's protesting the KKK, you don't shut down one of the busiest highways in Canada for it illegally.

CTLance

Man, I hope Canada gives them a chance. Some really gruesome things have been happening in Sri Lanka for years now. I only visited when I was a kid, but that's like 20 years ago, and it's only gotten worse since from what I can see.

Doytch said:
I don't give a damn if someone's protesting the KKK, you don't shut down one of the busiest highways in Canada for it illegally.

Well they can't shut down bridges... The First Nations already do that on a regular basis.

cbox

Doytch said:

Not to mention using their children as front line barriers. wtf...

Firestorm

canova said:
I'm an immigrant myself, try again. Came here 10 years ago, worked my way up.

again google Tamil gang Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, you name it.
I'd respond to this but I'm too busy blowing shit up and trafficking drugs apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom