• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

ibara is supposed to be one of yagawas easiest games to 1CC which is pretty frustrating knowing that. on the other hand, I've gotten to batrider stage 6 before but that's when it gets batshit insane (pun intended :p) and I've never made it past stage 4 in ibara.

I think both Muchi Pork and Recca are easier than Ibara. Ibara is legitimately balls-hard. The difficulty spike on stage 2 alone is enough to make you quit and never come back. I had a cab on free play all to myself at a recent arcade event, played like 40 times and made it to stage 4 once lol....

gunstarhero

I think both Muchi Pork and Recca are easier than Ibara. Ibara is legitimately balls-hard. The difficulty spike on stage 2 alone is enough to make you quit and never come back. I had a cab on free play all to myself at a recent arcade event, played like 40 times and made it to stage 4 once lol....

I have to second this. I had the PCB in my cab for well over a month...and stage 4 was as far as I got. Most of the time, stage 2 was where I quit though - wound up trading it for another game.

Batrider is far easier than Ibrara. I think he's easiest game is Battle Bakraid.
And his best is Battle Garrega :)

SOME-MIST

still haven't sunk enough time into recca (been playing it on the 3DS here and there), but I've honestly gotten further in ibara than nearly every one of his games (with the possible exception of batrider). granted, my personal impressions are based on my ibara/garegga/batrider pcbs vs mmp/ps 360 vs bakraid mame vs recca 3DS. probably left batrider (korean b - the easier version imo) in the cab the longest but made it the furthest in ibara in the least amount of time. stage 2 is hard as hell, but stage 3 is pretty easy with a lot of awesome scoring opportunities. stage 4 is about as hard as stage 2, and I only made it to stage 5 once. that's also what I've heard from chempop and I trust him with all my yagawa fare since he basically letter scores every game.

I'm also talking about 1-sissy but then again, you basically need those score extends to suicide...

And his best is Battle Garrega :)
agreed

Mawlok

Steam seems to be getting more and more shmups. Maybe check out Jets'n'Guns.
jetsnguns-gold-8.jpg

If you have a Saturn or can run MAME, play Galactic Attack/RayForce/LayerSection (same game, different names). One of my personal favorites.
Galactic_Attack_Gameplay.jpg

Thunder Force 2/3/4. Genesis is common. If you can import the Saturn versions of 3 and 4, I think they're more arcade accurate.
th3_012.gif

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste on SNES
Super_aleste.gif

Axelay on SNES
hqdefault.jpg

Even the R-Type HD remakes or remasters on PSN are good. I believe the game has a mode or option allowing you to play with infinite lives. May be good practice.

I'll check them all out, thanks!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, let's all vote our beloved shmups to get them a spot on Xbox One's BC to X360.
Super easy, you just sign in with you Live account, type a name and vote:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503?query=Akai

I'm posting the list of the shmups which are currently available to be voted, so all you need to do is to copy/paste.
(Unfortunately you can only vote for games which have been released in the US... hopefully that'll change or I'll be a sad panda)

Akai Katana
Guwange
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Otomedius Excellent
Deathsmiles IIX
Deathsmiles
Under Defeat HD
Bangai-o HD
Omega Five
R-Type Dimensions
Galaga Legions
Galaga Legions DX
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars 2
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Strania
Triggerheart Excelica
Raystorm HD
Trouble Witches Neo
Shooting Love 200x
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
KOF Sky Stage
Sine Mora
Senko no Ronde

mdsfx

Hey guys, let's all vote our beloved shmups to get them a spot on Xbox One's BC to X360.
Super easy, you just sign in with you Live account, type a name and vote:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503?query=Akai

I'm posting the list of the shmups which are currently available to be voted, so all you need to do is to copy/paste.
(Unfortunately you can only vote for games which have been released in the US... hopefully that'll change or I'll be a sad panda)

Akai Katana
Guwange
Raiden IV
Raiden Fighters Aces
Otomedius Excellent
Deathsmiles IIX
Deathsmiles
Under Defeat HD
Bangai-o HD
Omega Five
R-Type Dimensions
Galaga Legions
Galaga Legions DX
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars 2
Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Strania
Triggerheart Excelica
Raystorm HD
Trouble Witches Neo
Shooting Love 200x
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
KOF Sky Stage
Sine Mora
Senko no Ronde

I'm not holding out much hope on these. I think they're going to be going for the titles that appeal to the masses. These shooters are all niche games.

edit: I guess I should clarify that I was referring more to the cave games and other imports. some of the Xbox Live titles have a definite possibility of making a list.

I'm not holding out much hope on these. I think they're going to be going for the titles that appeal to the masses. These shooters are all niche games.

edit: I guess I should clarify that I was referring more to the cave games and other imports. some of the Xbox Live titles have a definite possibility of making a list.

Typically with BC, if you work to get a particular title working, others might work also work a side-effect. That's why we got BC for Xbox titles on 360 that were niche or not requested. How are they handling it on X1? If it's a whitelist then that sucks :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

well not with that attitute my friend! :p
Of course I know exactly what you mean, j/k aside, but it's even more important the *we* cast our votes then :)

mdsfx

Typically with BC, if you work to get a particular title working, others might work also work a side-effect. That's why we got BC for Xbox titles on 360 that were niche or not requested. How are they handling it on X1? If it's a whitelist then that sucks :(

well not with that attitute my friend! :p
Of course I know exactly what you mean, j/k aside, but it's even more important the *we* cast our votes then :)

Don't get me wrong. It would be AWESOME.

Jaeger

Thunder Force 2/3/4. Genesis is common. If you can import the Saturn versions of 3 and 4, I think they're more arcade accurate.
th3_012.gif

There is no arcade version of Thunder Force 4. And Thunder Force 3 was a Mega Drive game first before a port was made for the Arcade called AC.

Coda

Anyone have any interest in buying my Progear CPSII board? I need funds for school so it looks like I should part with it. It was a great time while it lasted though. PM me if you're interested.

*SOLD*

Mr.McFist

Thinking of picking up Hangeki on the last day of the Steam Summer Sale. Is it any good? It looks pretty awesome but I haven't heard anything about it before.

Mr.McFist

What should I buy?

Super Galaxy Squadron, QP Shooting Dangerous, or Sky Force Anniversary?

I can't decide!

Going to pick up Super Galaxy Squadron myself before the sale ends, it looks pretty great.

I got QP Shooting Dangerous from a bundle but never put any time into it because it didn't recognize my arcade stick, what little I played of it didn't grab me.

Sky Force Anniversary looks too Euro Shmup for my tastes.

There is no arcade version of Thunder Force 4. And Thunder Force 3 was a Mega Drive game first before a port was made for the Arcade called AC.

TF4 looks so much better on Saturn though, from what I've seen. Eliminating the slowdown made a big difference, and I also think the whole experience gained a lot from the CD sound effects. I hope to get Gold Pack 2 someday.

Jaeger

TF4 looks so much better on Saturn though, from what I've seen. Eliminating the slowdown made a big difference, and I also think the whole experience gained a lot from the CD sound effects. I hope to get Gold Pack 2 someday.

I don't doubt that, brother. I don't recall there being any visual changes outside of eliminated slowdown, however.

ACESmkII

I think I have a new addiction and it is called Battle Garegga. I've been playing it the past week now off and on between bouts of DMC 4 SE. It Looks absolutely gorgeous in RGB/240p through the Framemeister, I just wish my 47 Sony LED was TATE-able. I've been playing mainly on the casual side disregarding the ranking system, although I've been getting further and further on one credit and my scores have been increasing as well.

One of the best STG's I've played.

I think I have a new addiction and it is called Battle Garegga. I've been playing it the past week now off and on between bouts of DMC 4 SE. It Looks absolutely gorgeous in RGB/240p through the Framemeister, I just wish my 47 Sony LED was TATE-able. I've been playing mainly on the casual side disregarding the ranking system, although I've been getting further and further on one credit and my scores have been increasing as well.

Didn't top the shmups.com best list for years for nothing

legit masterpiece

SOME-MIST

I should have taken a pic last night, but I brought the pcb to the chicago shmupsmeet and one of the players - zerst -nearly letter scored it on stage 6 on his first credit. I'll try to nab a pic today if we get it goin before we swap in dangun feveron, but it's mind blowing seeing good play when I can't even handle stage 5. Probably my favorite shmup soundtrack too.

Icarus has some pretty awesome special demonstration videos up that are worth checking out to learn some tips and tricks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisS7_ROmYw&app=desktop

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Deathsmiles IIX is one fugly game. Maybe there's a decent game buried underneath the eyesore but it's hard to pay attention to it when all SH3 efforts are so stunning, graphically speaking.

SOME-MIST

seeing someone on airport in one credit for the first time (I'm that poo ZNT score)
tJS9NTU.jpg
HnVZEs3.jpg

no letter score that run, and I guess I missed his A9 run too :(
Deathsmiles IIX is one fugly game. Maybe there's a decent game buried underneath the eyesore but it's hard to pay attention to it when all SH3 efforts are so stunning, graphically speaking.

scoring system in dsiix is a bit more fun imo, but I'm not really that big of a fan of ds when it comes to horis. I agree that it's probably the ugliest looking cave shooter too.

on the other hand, I absolutely love progear. set the new arcade score at galloping ghost again last night, but they needed to record my run this time around - hopefully it gets posted to youtube soon (though there's a couple of "fucks" in it).

ACESmkII

I should have taken a pic last night, but I brought the pcb to the chicago shmupsmeet and one of the players - zerst -nearly letter scored it on stage 6 on his first credit. I'll try to nab a pic today if we get it goin before we swap in dangun feveron, but it's mind blowing seeing good play when I can't even handle stage 5. Probably my favorite shmup soundtrack too.

Icarus has some pretty awesome special demonstration videos up that are worth checking out to learn some tips and tricks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisS7_ROmYw&app=desktop

This vid was absolutely insane. I watched the whole thing in awe. The audio playback sounded really off though so I had to mute it.

seeing someone on airport in one credit for the first time (I'm that poo ZNT score)
tJS9NTU.jpg
HnVZEs3.jpg

no letter score that run, and I guess I missed his A9 run too

scoring system in dsiix is a bit more fun imo, but I'm not really that big of a fan of ds when it comes to horis. I agree that it's probably the ugliest looking cave shooter too.

on the other hand, I absolutely love progear. set the new arcade score at galloping ghost again last night, but they needed to record my run this time around - hopefully it gets posted to youtube soon (though there's a couple of "fucks" in it).

Awesome! What arcade was this at?

SOME-MIST

This vid was absolutely insane. I watched the whole thing in awe. The audio playback sounded really off though so I had to mute it.

Awesome! What arcade was this at?
all of icarus's videos are amazing. I actually told him if he made a dvd of 'em I'd buy it. my personal favorite is the smraedis mushihimesama arrange clear.

the arcade was galloping ghost arcade in brookfield, il. they don't have any candy cabs for use though, so we have to bring our own for the back/private room when we do the meetups
they have a buncha awesome shmups on the main floor in standup cabs though, like dodonpachi, donpachi, dodonpachi daioujou, progear, dimahoo, mars matrix, cyvern, ikaruga, radiant silvergun, gradius iv, g-darius, 19xx, in the hunt, giga wing, raystorm, raiden 1/2, raiden fighters 1/2, etc etc. definitely worth checking out if you're ever in proximity.

Jaeger

Guardian Force is amazing. And I am falling hard to Wolf Fang. Definitely need to grab them both for my newly acquired Saturn console. They are expensive, though. -_- !

Good stuff. Kinda iffy that H2 is porting again, will they include online leaderboards this time?

For what it's worth, III was just a flat out dump of the original PC version. All the warts from being a Japanese 2006 PC game intact.

Overkill, to my knowledge, hasn't had a PC port before, so maybe it'll be designed with some features in mind. I haven't played it on the PS3 but I imagine it'll be close to feature parity with that.

Time to double dip on Steam

Heh, the digital bonuses are identical to what you got with the 360 version 6 years ago. What are the odds that they fix/don't fix one of the soundtrack songs that was cut short?

Speaking of which, all I need now is the Overkill content on 360 as DLC. Still holding out for that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I also own it but have barely played it, not much of a Raiden fan really. Caladrius is a bit better effort by Moss but it still falls flat in some areas. Now Qute are A-tier shmup devs IMO. When are Eschatos and Ginga Force hitting Steam? :(

FoxSpirit

Oh great, now I can practice this at home so I can 1cc the machine we have at the arcade meet. If it doesn't get swapped until until fall but we have a very dedicated player so I guess it will stay until he 1cc's it :p

This game looks a lot better on a cab.

AmyS

Is Blast Wind for Saturn worth getting?

ASiqbII.jpg

I see copies are quite expensive on ebay and amazon. ~$200 and up. Probably cause it's Saturn-exclusive and although an arcade version was supposedly planned, a PCB hasn't been found, AFAIK.

Coda

Is Blast Wind for Saturn worth getting?

ASiqbII.jpg

I see copies are quite expensive on ebay and amazon. ~$200 and up. Probably cause it's Saturn-exclusive and although an arcade version was supposedly planned, a PCB hasn't been found, AFAIK.

Pretty sure it's considered a pretty great shmup. In my opinion probably not worth the money unless you have deep pockets though. Only watched gameplay videos of it though so I'm not necessarily the authority on how good the game is. I always wanted their other shmup on the system, "Hyper Duel" but that game even fetches more money than Blast Wind.

AmyS

Pretty sure it's considered a pretty great shmup. In my opinion probably not worth the money unless you have deep pockets though. Only watched gameplay videos of it though so I'm not necessarily the authority on how good the game is. I always wanted their other shmup on the system, "Hyper Duel" but that game even fetches more money than Blast Wind.

Thanks. I'm watching a run though Blast Wind right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SbIDF_jZsc

Certainly does look cool. Maybe if I find a deal on it someday.... As for Hyper Duel, at least it's been playable in MAME for years, just played it myself a few hours ago.

j^aws

AmyS said:
As for Hyper Duel, at least it's been playable in MAME for years, just played it myself a few hours ago.

FYI, that version lacks the Saturn Mode for Hyper Duel, which has better controls with independant aimimg - making it play differently. Furthermore:

"The Saturn version contains an original "Arcade Mode," a practically arcade-perfect conversion of the original, as well as an updated "Saturn Mode." In addition to including a new 3D opening cinematic, Saturn Mode also has cleaner, brighter, and more detailed sprites and backgrounds, even redrawn in some cases. The character select screen features 3D models of the Buster Gears. Certain animations are also smoother and redone to seem more 3D, particularly for the first boss. There are also some enhancements on the gameplay. For example, the Armor mode can lock its aim with the addition of a new button, allowing for independent aiming, a feature that was not present in the arcade version. Certain aspects of the game were also made harder. Overall, the Saturn version has more features"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Duel

Time to double dip on Steam

OH, damn, that's sweet! Gonna pick this up day one. Seems they are doing the whole Steam integration, which is nice.

If only CAVE could've seen the ligt...

Good to see some of the 360 shmupping coming to Steam. Now, if only Treasure could hurry with Radiant Silvergun...

@MUWANdo

Banned
From what I understand, Treasure can't self-publish any of their other HD games/ports (Silvergun, Bangai-O) because the publishing rights for those specific versions are held by the publishers (MS, D3).

AmyS

FYI, that version lacks the Saturn Mode for Hyper Duel, which has better controls with independant aimimg - making it play differently. Furthermore:

"The Saturn version contains an original "Arcade Mode," a practically arcade-perfect conversion of the original, as well as an updated "Saturn Mode." In addition to including a new 3D opening cinematic, Saturn Mode also has cleaner, brighter, and more detailed sprites and backgrounds, even redrawn in some cases. The character select screen features 3D models of the Buster Gears. Certain animations are also smoother and redone to seem more 3D, particularly for the first boss. There are also some enhancements on the gameplay. For example, the Armor mode can lock its aim with the addition of a new button, allowing for independent aiming, a feature that was not present in the arcade version. Certain aspects of the game were also made harder. Overall, the Saturn version has more features"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Duel

Damn. I guess I really need to get both Saturn Hyper Duel and Blast Wind at some point then.

Fascinating story here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/blastwind/blastwind.htm

A must read.

Top Bottom