• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

When will battle garagga for the ps4 hit europa ? ;/ around 2034 ?

It was never officially announced, only rumors, right?

FWIW The game is extremely playable, and as easy as it comes to "import." Bulk of the menus are in English, and the few that are not are easy enough to manage. I understand wanting to avoid double dipping if a fully localized option is possible down the road, but it is a damn fine port and I have a hard time arguing in favor of waiting for something with no guarantees.

You could be playing an amazing port of Garegga right now. Like right this second. What are you doing with your life!?

e: for reference, or anyone looking for a handy guide, changing the bullet colors (which is awesome) is the worst it gets being 2 menus deep.

My review of Ghost Blade HD is up on Cubed3.

Ghost Blade HD isn't going to astound its players with exhausting layers of depth, or challenge them in ways never thought possible. Still, it features a strong grasp of the basic necessities that make for a fun and exciting game. The constant loop of dodging bullets, destroying enemies, and collecting their precious stars is solidly executed. The level of difficulty is balanced well, and learning the intricacies of the scoring system will make each playthrough all the more enjoyable. All in all, this STG is a fine way to spend a weekend or three.

7/10

ChryZ

Super Galaxy Squadron Goes TURBO ... on March 6th

xTiN0AX8YuRFSmGYoM.gif

UnsungFastIchidna.gif

New:

- SHIPS - Three new ones (now 17 total) with alt fire modes.
- MODES - BOSS RUSH is finally here. Can you defeat ALL of them in record time?
- FEATURES - SLO-MO "Bullet-Hell Time". Slow down time to dodge bullets like Max Payne.

The FINAL edition of Super Galaxy Squadron.

Momentary

Banned
Man... It's a bullet-hell fest this month

Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo on the 6th
Ghost Blade on the 8th
and my most of anticipated shmup of the year, Danmaku Unlimited 3, on the 9th.

Damn good month.

Beckx

An expanded version of Sine Mora coming to PC, PS4, & Xbox.

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/sine-mora-ex-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

I really quite like Sine Mora, it had three major issues holding it back: popcorn enemies took too long to kill, invisible bullets, and powerups were essential but didn't bounce off the edges when you died. Fix those and it would be a great game. Still enjoyable, though.

that said, i can't see myself buying it again. it's on my 360 if i ever feel like playing it again.

Dinjoralo

Super Galaxy Squadron Goes TURBO ... on March 6th

xTiN0AX8YuRFSmGYoM.gif

UnsungFastIchidna.gif

New:

- SHIPS - Three new ones (now 17 total) with alt fire modes.
- MODES - BOSS RUSH is finally here. Can you defeat ALL of them in record time?
- FEATURES - SLO-MO "Bullet-Hell Time". Slow down time to dodge bullets like Max Payne.

The FINAL edition of Super Galaxy Squadron.
Having tried this when it was in testing; how the feck did anyone beat this without bullet time? Crap just flies across the screen way too fast. Beyond that, this doesn't really fix the problems I have that make this game so fricking dull. I am interested in giving Ghost Blade a try.

Having tried this when it was in testing; how the feck did anyone beat this without bullet time? Crap just flies across the screen way too fast. Beyond that, this doesn't really fix the problems I have that make this game so fricking dull. I am interested in giving Ghost Blade a try.

I basically said the same thing in the PC shmups thread. Then someone replied about being able to beat the final boss in 3 tries, but I have no idea how you'd do that.

The worst part is no invulnerability time - so you can just lose 3/4 of your life and die without warning.

Momentary

Banned
I feel like Danmaku Unlimited is probably going to be the best game out of the 3 bullet hells releasing this month. I'll even say that I don't think there is an original shooter releasing this year that will be able to topple it.

pI feel like Danmaku Unlimited is probably going to be the best game out of the 3 bullet hells releasing this month. I'don't even say that I don't think there is an original shooter releasing this year that will be able to topple it.

Can't wait for either Ghost Blade HD or Danmaku Unlimited 3!

ChryZ

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/818548392867536901

Degica has another shmup in the works... What could it be?

Maybe Bullet Soul? Some of 5pb's non-SHMUP games were already released on Steam.

EDIT: ... or Qute's Ginga Force? All their other games were already published by Degica (JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD, ESCHATOS, etc)

Not sure if Degi will publishing it, but Bullet Soul is coming to Steam:

http://5pb.jp/games/steam/bulletsoul/en/

Unconfirmed details:

release date April 7th, 1,480 yen (USD price pending)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544580/ (not up yet)
https://steamdb.info/app/544580/subs/

JEKKI

nooooooo when did the amazon jp price of Battle Garegga go up?!?!

it was like only 4000 yen before.

I really wanted to buy it, but due to my schedule I was gonna actually purchase it in a few weeks,

but when I randomly checked today it had gone back up to almost double what it was!!

:(

wonder if I should jus buy it when I visit Japan to save on the cost of shipping... anyone know where they sell it there?

Momentary

Banned
Seems like there are no resolution options. If it truly is a DirectX 9 game, then we might be able to use GeDoSaTo to fix that.

Not sure if Degi will publishing it, but Bullet Soul is coming to Steam:

http://5pb.jp/games/steam/bulletsoul/en/

Unconfirmed details:

release date April 7th, 1,480 yen (USD price pending)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544580/ (not up yet)
https://steamdb.info/app/544580/subs/

Shame we don't get Infinite Burst as I thought vanilla Bullet Souls was perhaps the easiest STG I have ever played, your main shot cancels 90% of the enemy bullets and the game presents virtually no challenge whatsoever.

Having Mages beginning to put games on Steam may mean we get a port of their Ketsui conversion in due time. Fingers crossed as its gone awfully quiet on the Degica / Cave front, it seems that the Xbox 360 will still be the best way to play their catalogue to a long time to come......

There's really not much to Ghost Blade HD. You have only 1 mode, it's over in 20 minutes at most, and the achievements don't suggest that there are any secrets.

It's mainly a bullet-herding game - you have to hold the center of the screen or else you'll get trapped on the left or right side. Then you have to use the focus shot often enough to destroy the most dangerous enemies. This is the whole game, more or less.

If you can beat normal you can beat hard - it just adds suicide bullets from the big enemies. There seems to be nothing to unlock except up to 9 continues.

I guess maybe there could be a different ending screen if you get 1CC?

Momentary

Banned
There's really not much to Ghost Blade HD. You have only 1 mode, it's over in 20 minutes at most, and the achievements don't suggest that there are any secrets.

It's mainly a bullet-herding game - you have to hold the center of the screen or else you'll get trapped on the left or right side. Then you have to use the focus shot often enough to destroy the most dangerous enemies. This is the whole game, more or less.

If you can beat normal you can beat hard - it just adds suicide bullets from the big enemies. There seems to be nothing to unlock except up to 9 continues.

I guess maybe there could be a different ending screen if you get 1CC?

The real show starts tomorrow.

Ghost Blade HD is solid. Looks beautiful in TATE mode. No slowdown. Enemies and backgrounds are colorful and detailed - art direction is very nice. As per the gameplay - it is very standard beginner-friendly shooter but is definitely enjoyable. Each ship is fun is distinct and fun to play as. Movement is smooth and just the right speed. Shooting enemies point blank seems to give you extra points. And, normal mode seems to offer a substantial challenge for me at least (I 1CC'd easy mode on like my 2nd try though).

However, as one would expect, this is no Dodonpachi or Crimzon Clover. Enemy placement and variety, as well as bullet patterns could be better I guess - there is the feeling that the difficulty increases not by the game throwing difficult patterns at you but ever increasing clusters of enemies and their bullets. The bosses too could benefit from more elaborate design in their attack patterns. Also, the way that the screen pans left and right to your movement at times doesn't feel natural in the way that it does in games like Crimzon Clover.

Ghost Blade HD is a no-frills shooter. It looks good and plays good too. Could be better in a number of ways but I think it is definitely worth playing, especially for beginners.

Vitacat

Hey SHMUP GAF, just curious if others here own a Switch and are hoping to see SHMUPs on it. Today Blaster Master was released in NA, and it has some SHMUP elements, albeit obviously it's not a SHMUP per se.

Given Nintendo's indie thrust with Switch, I think there's a good chance we see some true SHMUPs ported. If anyone hears of any, please post!

Hey SHMUP GAF, just curious if others here own a Switch and are hoping to see SHMUPs on it. Today Blaster Master was released in NA, and it has some SHMUP elements, albeit obviously it's not a SHMUP per se.

Given Nintendo's indie thrust with Switch, I think there's a good chance we see some true SHMUPs ported. If anyone hears of any, please post!

It could be really interesting to have a vertical shmup holding the Switch sideways...

Jucksalbe

Banned
I wonder if there's a way to support a comfortable to hold and control tate mode in handheld mode for Switch. I guess only with touch controls.

Edit: Ha, at least I'm not the only one.

It would be nice, screen would work well for it, but honestly it's already rare enough to see anything ported to consoles over Steam (and even Steam ports have seemingly slowed down as of late)

Still waiting for more Cave games and the Dangun Feveron PS4 port that disappeared (was announced months before Battle Garegga, which came out. lol)

Tain

I have a Switch and really like it, but I wouldn't want to play 2D shooters on it over a large screen arcade stick setup.

SOME-MIST

Dangun Feveron PS4 port that disappeared (was announced months before Battle Garegga, which came out. lol)
hopefully it wasn't completely scrapped for the 2nd time. which I doubt since apparently @M2STG says the garegga limited edition is started to disappear from retailers.

top 5 shmup for me and I'd love to have a (hopefully physical) alternative to my pcb.

What's the consensus on this game? Is it a decent shooter in its own right, or just a novelty kinda thing?

Very fun shooter with nice variety to its difficulties. I generally play on Easy just to attempt 1CCs but it's not terribly nerfed from normal, it's just a bit more manageable.

There's a variety of ships to choose from and they all play fairly differently

It you aren't into the anime fanservice/clothing destruction you can turn all of that off

Coda

I have a Switch and really like it, but I wouldn't want to play 2D shooters on it over a large screen arcade stick setup.

I think most people would agree with that, but still having shmups portable with real quality controls would be a step up from the iPhone & Android ports.

Coda

But, the Switch would work that way too. Console mode attached to TV, and it's getting arcade sticks from Hori, and no doubt converters will come as well. There's a reason the dock has 3 USB ports. ;-)

I'll be looking out for a PS2 to Switch converter personally as I love playing shmups and other retro games with my PS2 Saturn pad.

Very fun shooter with nice variety to its difficulties. I generally play on Easy just to attempt 1CCs but it's not terribly nerfed from normal, it's just a bit more manageable.

There's a variety of ships to choose from and they all play fairly differently

It you aren't into the anime fanservice/clothing destruction you can turn all of that off

Huh, I'll probably get this then... I need to get more use out of my HRAP. And $10 is usually "roll the dice" territory for me.

Huh, I'll probably get this then... I need to get more use out of my HRAP. And $10 is usually "roll the dice" territory for me.
I will say, I actually prefer playing it on my Dualshock over my HRAP. There's 4 attack buttons (standard shot and 3 special) and a bomb button. It's of course playable but for me seems like it plays better on controller

If you're a fan of shmups I can't really see you regretting it for 10 bucks

Top Bottom